• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Total Biscuit reviewed it and he had a few positive things to say about it, though from what I gathered he felt rather underwhelmed by the game.
Non the less I got it today and will try to put some time into it later.

Well, I've just got it, too. I'll keep my expectation low enough knowing that it's a mobile game.
There's going to be one or two more coming. One is an MMO IIRC.

I hope one of em is based on Gravity or something like that.

Now I'm interested.

zkylon

zkylewd
The art design of Dark Souls II is just as good as the prequel

13044436405_2f9ccd72fa_o.png

amazing

That's the thread, yes.

This user posted several screenshots taken directly from the PS3 version. While some of those don't look too bad, others look worse than any other locations from vanilla Dark Souls (pre-Durante).

Some people have been very vocal about how horrible certain locations look in-game: Grey, watered down halls without any ambient light. A mod in the OT quoted impressions of a friend of him speaking nothing but shit about the game's overall visual style. There's constant mention of big framerate drops (especially with multiple light sources on-screen) and how it also affects the gameplay directly while trying to fight several mobs. Others speak of a constant inconsistency in the game's visuals: Some places looks gorgeous while others look absolutely hideous.

Seriously. And with such a simple solution to calm this storm, getting any public statements or explanations isn't likely to happen soon.

This doesn't sound good at all. Maybe pre-ordering the pc version is not a good idea.

Nabs

I'm having trouble putting down One Finger Death Punch. Great mindless fun.

The Dark Souls II stuff is interesting. I hope the PC version looks like the old press footage
chansub-global-emoticon-60aa1af305e32d49-23x30.png

I just had the most INTENSE RACE in Burnout Paradise........seriously...I won the race by microseconds.

I made a wrong turn while being ahead of everyone so I had to find my out path through the mountains and stuff with so many turns...it was a huge adrenaline rush. I wish I recorded it.

Speaking of which, what programs do you all use to record gameplay?
Fraps?

Omega

Banned
Anyone that uses a PS3/PS4 controller, if you use a dongle/adapter, which one do you use?

Looking on Amazon/Newegg, everything seems to have mediocre reviews so I don't know which one is actually worth getting.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I just had the most INTENSE RACE in Burnout Paradise........seriously...I won the race by microseconds.

I made a wrong turn while being ahead of everyone so I had to find my out path through the mountains and stuff with so many turns...it was a huge adrenaline rush. I wish I recorded it.

OBS, it doesn't just allow for streaming but for rather efficient local recording as well.

Sajjaja

Heard fraps was a resource hog. Plus it costs money :p

OBS, it doesn't just allow for streaming but for rather efficient local recording as well.

I though OBS was just for streaming. Will check it out now.
Anyone that uses a PS3/PS4 controller, if you use a dongle/adapter, which one do you use?

Looking on Amazon/Newegg, everything seems to have mediocre reviews so I don't know which one is actually worth getting.

I'm using this http://dx.com/p/super-mini-bluetooth-2-0-adapter-dongle-vista-compatible-11866. So worth it. DS3 btw.

JustinBB7

Heard fraps was a resource hog. Plus it costs money :p

I though OBS was just for streaming. Will check it out now.

I'm using this http://dx.com/p/super-mini-bluetooth-2-0-adapter-dongle-vista-compatible-11866. So worth it. DS3 btw.

OBS is perfect. Very low on using resources and quality is great, and it makes the files pretty small too. Fraps is pretty resource heavy and the files it makes are 2GB for 1 minute..obviously super high uncompressed quality but that's just overkill. OBS is great.

maty

Completed Rogue Legacy. A little too grindy in the beginning but after you improve your character it gets better. I'm in NG+5 now with everything maxed out and all armor pieces and abilities unlocked, so there are not many reasons to keep playing. Besides normal bosses are very easy at this point unlike the neo bosses which took me several tries to defeat, specially Alexander the IV.

I don't think it should be included in a top 5 GOTY list from 2013 but it's good game in the end.

Also started One Finger Death Punch which is really fun and I'm sure I'll spend several hours on it. I just wished it had a mac version and cloud saves so I could play it at work. :D

wilflare

Completed Rogue Legacy. A little too grindy in the beginning but after you improve your character it gets better. I'm in NG+5 now with everything maxed out and all armor pieces and abilities unlocked, so there are not many reasons to keep playing. Besides normal bosses are very easy at this point unlike the neo bosses which took me several tries to defeat, specially Alexander the IV.

I don't think it should be included in a top 5 GOTY list from 2013 but it's good game in the end.

Also started One Finger Death Punch which is really fun and I'm sure I'll spend several hours on it. I just wished it had a mac version and cloud saves so I could play it at work. :D

at this point, I'm just waiting to play this on Vita :X

EDIT: is the EA Racing Pack worth it?
though I already have 2 of the games ><

shadowplay. it's available only for nvidia gpus, tho.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
at this point, I'm just waiting to play this on Vita :X

EDIT: is the EA Racing Pack worth it?
though I already have 2 of the games ><
If Undercover is one of the games you DON'T have, I'd say no, just buy the other one.

Fox318

I installed Dark Souls and I'm playing it for the first time. Not really a fan of the controls. I wish I had more control over the blade like Mount and Blade.

FloatOn

I kind of feel like the people that are upset about the graphics in Dark Souls 2 are missing the point of what the game is all about. If FROM really wanted to make a pretty looking game they could have put the game on PS4 or Xbone but clearly the focus is on the refinement of the gameplay.

Personally, if it looks just as good as Dark Souls in all it's glitchy glory then I will be more than fine so long as it continues to serve up amazing combat interactions.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I kind of feel like the people that are upset about the graphics in Dark Souls 2 are missing the point of what the game is all about. If FROM really wanted to make a pretty looking game they could have put the game on PS4 or Xbone but clearly the focus is on the refinement of the gameplay.

Personally, if it looks just as good as Dark Souls in all it's glitchy glory then I will be more than fine so long as it continues to serve up amazing combat interactions.

I don't see why people can't be upset that the visual quality of the game took a nosedive in places. It isn't the end of the world but the way it looked in the beta previews was rather stunning whereas now it's lost a lot of that visual identity it carved out for itself in those early, on-unit previews.

Sarcasm

They aren't upset cause the graphics are low. They are upset cause of what was being shown before was pretty good than suddenly closer to release it took a nosedive. If they were low to begin with probably wouldn't be seeing this.

FloatOn

I don't see why people can't be upset that the visual quality of the game took a nosedive in places. It isn't the end of the world but the way it looked in the beta previews was rather stunning whereas now it's lost a lot of that visual identity it carved out for itself in those early, on-unit previews.

people can feel how they want to feel but I think a more valid complaint would be over the gameplay changes.

at this point if you haven't heard how much of a night and day difference dark souls is on pc vs console then any graphics complaints anyone might have is kind of their own fault.

Nuuvem is legit. I have never had a problem with them. I am not sure about how the region locking is working with SP though.

depends on the game

can't say for sure but if I wasn't from latin america I wouldn't buy south park from them

Gave it a go anyway and it ended up working. After looking into it it seems like it's only for trading games and actual keys are fine (unless they're Russian?)

Anyway, downloading now!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Finally have a decent rig, so I can play more than just small indie games via Steam. $50 for Complete Civilization seems like a great deal, but I'm all ears if someone knows of a coupon or something.

I did bite the bullet and cop FF:XIV ARR on Steam. I've got the PS4 CE pre ordered but after the beta I needed to continue playing ASAP.

hitmon

Gave it a go anyway and it ended up working. After looking into it it seems like it's only for trading games and actual keys are fine (unless they're Russian?)

Anyway, downloading now!

How long did you have to wait after ordering to get your key? I'm considering buying from them.

zkylon

zkylewd
stop tempting me... I really want to play this. ARGH
how are you setting it up on Steam
pretty similar to what i did with pcsx2. like you add dolphin to steam like any other non-steam game and then go to properties and set its target up like this:

"C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\Dolphin-x64\Dolphin.exe" /e "game path"

also now you know my name :)

edit: it's not a fantastic game tbh, and it's a big timewaster, but i sort of enjoy it. it's been disappointing for me but i had high expectations based on word of mouth and how much i liked xenosaga.

what game is this?
xenoblade

Levyne

Banned
Ten years late to the party, I recently played through the main game DOOM 3 and expansion RoE without a lot of expectations or take aways so I won't comment on those . It was just kind of there. Some good parts, boring parts.

And then I played 6 (of 8) levels of the BFG edition's "Lost Mission". So I guess these are more new, but also for the most part, more of the same.

But the last two levels of that add on actually impressed me a bit! Bigger rooms, lots of baddies in lots of directions (rather than forward or back), fair amount of light, copious amounts of HELL. Here's some ugly steam shots.

Sure felt a lot more like Hell than the other parts of the game.
I hope DOOM 4 is more like that! Only a couple months until the beta.

And thanks for gifting me Rogue Legacy, GAF! :)

You are correct; the word prequel is often misused. A prequel is a sequel to a movie [or whatever] where the story in the sequel pre-dates the story in the previous movie [or whatever].

Take the four Alien movies. Alien was the first in the sequence and the subsequent three movies were all sequels because the events in each movie happened chronologically after each other in that movie universe. However, if Aliens had been the first to be released and Alien was its sequel then Alien in fact would have been a prequel in that scenario as the events in the movie predated those in the previous movie in that movie universe.

Yessir.

Yep

A prequel is a literary, dramatic, or filmic work whose story precedes that of a previous work,[1][2] by focusing on events that occur before the original narrative.[3] A prequel is a work that forms part of a back-story to the preceding work. Like sequels, prequels may or may not concern the same plot as the work from which they are derived. Often, they explain the background which led to the events in the original, but sometimes the connections are not as explicit. Sometimes, prequels play on the fact that the audience knows what will happen next, using deliberate references to create dramatic irony.

Thanks English Patrol.

Sorry, can't help it... having a degree in Technical Communications brings it out. :p

Tellaerin

Yessir.

Sorry, can't help it... having a degree in Technical Communications brings it out. :p

It's funny... the first place I can remember seeing "prequel" (mis)used the way you see nowadays was an old issue of EGM. EGM was also the first place I saw writers refer to things as "addicting" instead of "addictive", which always kind of bugged me.

EGM, you have much to answer for! *shakes fist* :p

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Ten years late to the party, I recently played through the main game DOOM 3 and expansion RoE without a lot of expectations or take aways so I won't comment on those . It was just kind of there. Some good parts, boring parts.

And then I played 6 (of 8) levels of the BFG edition's "Lost Mission". So I guess these are more new, but also for the most part, more of the same.

But the last two levels of that add on actually impressed me a bit! Bigger rooms, lots of baddies in lots of directions (rather than forward or back), fair amount of light, copious amounts of HELL. Here's some ugly steam shots.

Sure felt a lot more like Hell than the other parts of the game.
I hope DOOM 4 is more like that! Only a couple months until the beta.

And thanks for gifting me Rogue Legacy, GAF! :)

That's beta access. The beta itself might not even come out this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom