• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

1987E0F554876190AD0A61E3411A8F158EB072CB

Something is really off about this shot, almost like that background image is very low-res asset that has been upscaled to fit your rendering resolution.

Did sikkmod ever get ported to the BFG edition?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Something is really off about this shot, almost like that background image is very low-res asset that has been upscaled to fit your rendering resolution.

Did sikkmod ever get ported to the BFG edition?

The BFG Edition uses bits and pieces of id Tech 5.

pretty similar to what i did with pcsx2. like you add dolphin to steam like any other non-steam game and then go to properties and set its target up like this:

"C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\Dolphin-x64\Dolphin.exe" /e "game path"

also now you know my name :)

edit: it's not a fantastic game tbh, and it's a big timewaster, but i sort of enjoy it. it's been disappointing for me but i had high expectations based on word of mouth and how much i liked xenosaga.

xenoblade
You forgot the part where we buy a supercomputer to play a game looking this good in Dolphin.

Grief.exe

I noticed that there is a pretty massive difference between what Namco was demoing for Dark Souls II a few months ago and the final console version.

Textures look higher resolution, Specular Highlights, increased Dynamic Shadows, pitch-black background, Normal Mapping, and looks like a DOF effect.

I'm thinking Bandai had been showing off the PC version the whole time, announced the PC delay, and then began showing the actual console version shortly after. There was quite a substantial shift at one point in the visuals.

O9DCnJn.jpg

Here are the videos in question:

Demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JFDPCtXFY&t=2m58s

Console:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vnErlYgKo8&t=2m55s

Sajjaja

I noticed that there is a pretty massive difference between what Namco was demoing for Dark Souls II a few months ago and the final console version.

Textures look higher resolution, Specular Highlights, increased Dynamic Shadows, pitch-black background, Bump Mapping (?), and looks like a DOF effect.

I'm thinking Bandai had been showing off the PC version the whole time, announced the PC delay, and then began showing the actual console version shortly after. There was quite a substantial shift at one point in the visuals.

O9DCnJn.jpg

Demo:

Console:

Seems like wishful thinking for now Grief =/

Grief.exe

Seems like wishful thinking for now Grief =/

I tend to be overly optimistic, but the timing seems to match up perfectly.

Apparently, the dynamic shadows cause massive frame rate issues on the console versions. Seems From toned down the the darkness last minute to reduce the necessity of torches.

Sajjaja

I tend to be overly optimistic, but the timing seems to match up perfectly.

Apparently, the dynamic shadows cause massive frame rate issues on the console versions. Seems From toned down the the darkness last minute to reduce the necessity of torches.

By reducing the necessity you make it completely optional? It's a change in dynamic between the two where you get no loss of vision (or rather slightly hindered) on consoles but PC you have to suffer through pitch blackness lol. I guess it doesn't really matter but I would think devs prefer to be consistent. But again, I don't know much.

Garcia

I can honestly say I was shocked by the abysmal differences between those 2 videos.

In the first one you can clearly see that lighting had a huge impact on how the game was supposed to be played. There's strategy, tension and many other elements that are directly tied to the way shadows permeate your surroundings.

The 2nd. video almost belongs to a completely different game. There's literally no point in holding any torches at all now. You can see everything, and it's really strange that they even kept the dynamic lighting while holding the torches.

Something just went terribly wrong down the road.

JaseC

Textures look higher resolution, Specular Highlights, increased Dynamic Shadows, pitch-black background, Normal Mapping, and looks like a DOF effect.

O9DCnJn.jpg

Demo:

Console:

I didn't know Dark Souls 2 was releasing on the PS2. I was going to pre-order it on Steam today but maybe I'll just dust off that old thing instead. Seriously, though, that's a stark lighting downgrade.

Grief.exe

I can honestly say I was shocked by the abysmal differences between those 2 videos.

In the first one you can clearly see that lighting had a huge impact on how the game was supposed to be played. There's strategy, tension and many other elements that are directly tied to the way shadows permeate your surroundings.

The 2nd. video almost belongs to a completely different game. There's literally no point in holding any torches at all now. You can see everything, and it's really strange that they even kept the dynamic lighting while holding the torches.

Something just went terribly wrong down the road.

It would seem that the reliance on torches was toned done due to the performance impact from dynamic lighting.

If you go back a bit in the console footage, you will see the point where you can light the torch. The object casts shadows everywhere, and the frame rate tanks as soon as the player enters the room.

We have to be looking at PC footage in the original demo. All of those features were completely stripped out for the final console build, and when one of those graphical features is briefly brought back, the frame rate tanks.

I didn't know Dark Souls 2 was releasing on the PS2. I was going to pre-order it on Steam today but maybe I'll just dust off that old thing instead. Seriously, though, that's a stark lighting downgrade.

Ouch.

Anteater

O9DCnJn.jpg

Demo:

Console:

weird, wasn't the tunnel supposed to be pitch black? I remember them demoing that portion with the torch as a gameplay mechanic, so they changed it completely

So, Ground Zero sucks!

iHhB38Tk9M1qD.gif

I can't even properly evaluate the other elements of the game because one addition bungled it all up. I'll just say, if you ever wanted to know what it feels like to be an enemy creep in a tower defense game, play this. There are wall and ceiling mounted turrets, they are hard to see, it's hard to tell if you're hitting them (and you'll only notice them once they start attacking), they soak a decent bit of damage (2-3 rockets/rails), they do considerable damage, and they have infinite range so they'll attack you so long as you're in their line of sight. The thing is, they are god damn everywhere; walk through a corridor and one or two will be behind the doorway, or there will be a few in every encounter, or a piece of wall will shift and reveal some behind you, or you'll re-enter an area and have more of them in new spots. It is unbelievably relentless and you can be assured that every corner you turned would result in seeing a few of these.

Whoever the sadistic maniac responsible for placing these was I can only assume has a fetish for imagining players getting repeatedly attacked by these dingleberries of level design and made the entirety of it an exercise in frustration to play. Completely awful.

Grief.exe

weird, wasn't the tunnel supposed to be pitch black? I remember them demoing that portion with the torch as a gameplay mechanic, so they changed it completely

You are exactly right, the tunnel was pitch black so the player had to go get a torch in the demo version.

In the final console build, the use of the torch is no longer necessary.

Garcia

Grief, you just made me burst out laughing with your reply in the other thread. (edited for politeness)

Edit: I think the console version was supposed to look that way from the very beginning. Remember how Bamco just recently stated that the PC version would run at constant 60 FPS, 4x native resolution?

Garcia

Don't give Grief hope man, he'll only fall down harder :(

I swear that's not my intention, I also want the game to look that good just because of all the potential implications of having such a complex atmosphere going on.

We can only speculate up to this point.

Coreda

Thinking of playing System Shock 2. Am I correct that the Steam version has slightly upgraded graphics from the original title? Seem to remember reading that somewhere.

JaseC

Just a few more days to go until Carmageddon Reincarnation backers get their Steam keys. I haven't been following the game's development so I'm not sure how much content will be included initially but I'd be happy with just a few levels to wreck havoc in.

Thanks for the link. Do you know if modding a game prevents Steam's native achievements? Seems a utility SS2Tool is needed to make the game 'moddable' initially.

Shock 2 doesn't have Steam achievements. The answer to your question, though, is "no".

Garcia

Pikachu & Snorlax? Wat?. . .

Your total deaths across all playthroughs: 335
Your current playthrough: NG+
Global average: 213

I went for the "Fuck this I quit" nick for O&S.

Interesting numbers.

aku:jiki

So I checked out Iesabel from whatever bundle and while it's an okay enough RPG, a not good/not terrible kind of game, I was really confused by the tutorial. It keeps misinforming you! It was clearly written for an earlier iteration with a different UI. How do you fuck that up? Writing a 10 textbox tutorial about where each button is takes like 5 minutes!

Just a few more days to go until Carmageddon Reincarnation backers get their Steam keys. I haven't been following the game's development so I'm not sure how much content will be included initially but I'd be happy with just a few levels to wreck havoc in.
Huh, that's a thing and Stainless are making it again? I really hope going back to their roots ignites a creative spark for them, because they've been producing some straight up garbage for the past 10 years...

Edit: lolwut at the extremely unprofessional language on the Kickstarter. Stainless confirmed to be run by 12 year olds.

Arthea

The CD key that comes with the game, of course. ;)

a game never asked me for it, as far as I can remember (><)

edited: browsing through Jasec's wall of games. diaper dash? really?

I love the look of The Inner World so I'm installing it at the moment... though I really ought to finish South Park first.

Sounds like GOTY material to me!

You'll post your impressions, yes?

sure thing!

JaseC

I am proud of you.. :)

I love the look of The Inner World so I'm installing it at the moment... though I really ought to finish South Park first.

a game never asked me for it, as far as I can remember (><)

edited: browsing through Jasec's wall of games. diaper dash? really?

It's a girl! And a boy! In fact, it's every adorable baby in DinerTown, all bundled up for you to lavish with love. Keep these DinerTown darlings cooing by helping out Wilson, who's in over his head running the local daycare. Now's the time to make a play date with the game that's literally crawling with fun!

Tellaerin

And now I'm looking over your new purchases. >.> The premise of Valerie Porter and the Scarlet Scandal sounds great. Shame it's a hidden object game and not an adventure or something.

JaseC

If you purchase Condemned on amazon for $3.74, make sure you buy the correct version.

There is a amazon download with and without a steam redeem. It says "DRM: STEAM" in the info.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AEV8IVI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If the Sega PC port initiative manages to get somewhere I hope Sega ports over Condemned 2. Which reminds me, we still don't know why Konami reacquired the Saw licence out of the blue back in October, though I maintain that there's a chance the internal PC port of Saw 2 will now see the light of day.

Edit: With Saw VIII releasing next year, the most likely scenario is that Konami is working on a third game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom