• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin1025

Banned
Fuck yeah.

676113903d.png

April is so soon! I need to put more time into that game (the original).

Anyone on the fence for One Way Heroics? My suggestion is, pull the trigger. It's a fantastic, inexpensive game with great charm.

Plug In Digital abusing the "featured updates" system...

There are a handful of developers using the featured updates tab to promote their sales. It's unfortunate that the featured updates tab is a step away from being another sales highlight.

I miss the days when patch notes were listed in the news tab, now I've always gotta dig into the game-specific forums to figure out what some user thinks a patch changed. Then a few days later (exaggeration) I can find out the official patch notes from a stickied thread in the same forum...

Is Dead Space 2 as good as the original?

Atmosphere is a little less isolated and a little more action, but playing the game on hardcore is one of the most adrenaline filled, intense "survival horror" experiences I have EVER had.

Missed out on the indiefort glitch :|

There was a glitch?
What'd I miss?

Would the love child of Dead Space 1 and Uncharted 2 interest you? If so, then go for it.

Don't sully Dead Space 2's excellence with a reference to Uncharted 2, please.

kevin1025

Banned
It's a very good aRPG that I highly recommend.

I played a little over two hours of it, I agree with you, it's a fine game. I grew up with consoles so I decided to play it with a controller, it works well but it's a mouse and keyboard game through and through. Might just continue on with M+KB and complete it after I finish a few more things in the dreaded backlog.

C4rter

OMG how awesome is One Finger Death Punch? Really nice game mechanics, so simple but on later stages still hard to do a perfect round.
Sometimes I have the problem that a weapon actually makes it harder, not easier, lol.

How long does it take for one complete playthrough? HLTB says something about 7,5 hours for "Complete"?!

Remember folks: SpeedRunners is the shit. It may not be as cheap as it was during the Winter Sale, but it's worth far more than the $4.99 price tag. Grab it if you regularly have friends around, or just enjoy online multiplayer. It's a platforming mario kart on crack.

annnnnd on another note: Frog Fractions 2 kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/475057068/frog-fractions-2 I want whatever shit he comes up with on my Steam list.

67561d5d5fe1a58597b3a58acedfc7e6_large.png

The Frog Fractions 2 project sound super interesting. Not gonna back it, but I can't wait to see what will happen.

And if you haven'd done so yet, drop everything and play Frog Fractions right now

http://twinbeard.com/frog-fractions

It will teach you all about fractions, and more!

Tizoc

Reposting for the new page.
Anyways getting rid of some of this ish, apologies as they're not all Steam keys...or if the codes don't work, I've had some of these for over a year >_<
If the cognition codes don't work for you, I can PM you Desura keys for them
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 18 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ulgzbKC.png
Saturday Morning RPG Desura Key -- MB-48D9492FE87C59CB
The 39 Steps -- MB-0E5AEBB4A8706699
Electronic Super Joy -- MB-A798C71DE8732682
ulgzbKC.png
Ring Runner: Flights of the Sage Desura Key -- MB-FF1DCC0ACD2942ED
Shelter -- MB-934E8D40E1B6185B
ulgzbKC.png
99 Levels to Hell Desura Key -- MB-C18699E399E4D891
ulgzbKC.png
Finding Teddy Desura Key -- MB-4E0EEF3B7536E352 - Taken by still
ulgzbKC.png
Pester Desura Key -- MB-5CACF6706D491C55
Depths of Peril -- MB-3538E95F3C194613
Gateways -- MB-2CCF5ACF3C593D0D
Cognition Episode 1 -- MB-499F035CDBDBFC42
ulgzbKC.png
Project Night Desura Key -- MB-8802F1E9DA3A62A3
ulgzbKC.png
One Finger Death Punch Desura Key -- MB-0E0C467332009546
Cognition Episode 2 -- MB-DE00FD7D525EE8B9
Two Brothers -- MB-BCD29D798E14C69B
Mini Motor Racing EVO -- MB-1C9D977F87A9460F
Driftmoon -- MB-C98981F4AC81327C

t1394547549z1.png

The following are keys I am not sure if they are still active
Pid:
Eador
A Legend of Dawn key if anyone wants to have a +1 to their game count-

fantomena

OMG how awesome is One Finger Death Punch? Really nice game mechanics, so simple but on later stages still hard to do a perfect round.
Sometimes I have the problem that a weapon actually makes it harder, not easier, lol.

How long does it take for one complete playthrough? HLTB says something about 7,5 hours for "Complete"?!

Excellent thing that the game has a survival mode. :)

Garcia

I'm having the same problem. :lol

It's only a matter of getting used to the weapons' range and attack speed. Surprisingly deep game! I'm loving every single stage and trying to perfect score each level requires you to think ahead of time as quickly as you can.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Remember folks: SpeedRunners is the shit. It may not be as cheap as it was during the Winter Sale, but it's worth far more than the $4.99 price tag. Grab it if you regularly have friends around, or just enjoy online multiplayer. It's a platforming mario kart on crack.

^ This man speaks the truth!
Awesome game and a blast with friends!

Lunaniem

I keep hearing nothing but good things about this game. I will probably cave and buy it within the next hour or so. Only problem is I have way to many games already, although I don't know if this is really a problem.

There's no such thing as having too many games on Steam. :)

Wok

I am pondering whether to buy The Banner Saga for a friendly colleague's birthday. Do you have any impression, especially from these of you who have stopped playing the game after an hour or so?

jGN5G3M.jpg

This might be a good buy as well.

aku:jiki

I picked up the BundleStars bundle and typed up some impressions in case anyone's on the fence. I'd say the bundle is worth it for OFDP, Shuggy and potentially Tiny & Big. There's also two puzzle games on the opposite ends of the puzzle spectrum, so at least one of them should appeal to you.

Adventures of Shuggy: Charming little puzzle platformer with levels based around a few themes like teleporting or manipulating time. I've already completed it on Xbox so I didn't even boot this one up, but I can't imagine it not being as good on PC. Has a separate coop campaign with unique levels, which is a nice touch.
CreaVures: I really liked the art direction here. It's an extremely purple game, but it looks both pretty and mysterious, and it reminds me of The Undergarden in that respect. However, the gameplay is just an uninspired collectathon platformer with floaty controls.
Critical Mass: Also cool-looking visually, and with a decent drum n bass soundtrack, but I'm not sure about the gameplay. You spin a rubiks cube and launch colored cubes at it to create groups of 4+, which in itself is fine, but it wants to live up to its name and wants to you do it NOW NOW NOW. I even died in the damn tutorial because it's trying to stress me out so hard! It's a well-made game but it wasn't for me.
Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood: I don't know, some multiplayer shooty game? I got it in a previous bundle and after some research I dumped it in my "bundle junk" category without launching it.
Hexcells: Now this is relaxing. Nice design and music, simple and engaging gameplay. Good stuff.
One Finger Death Punch: Hah! This game is hilarious and pretty cool. I don't think I need to say any more, and I'm assuming everyone's buying the bundle for this one. It really is as fun and addictive as they say!
Paranormal: A first-person horror adventure game with the "twist" that it's found-footage except you're recording it in real-time? Very ugly, like horribly so, and the first "scary" thing that happens is really silly. There are bloody footprints that appear as the house shakes...except the footprints are on the wall! Are these parkour ghosts?
Tiny & Big: This one didn't launch for me and I'm too lazy to solve it right now, but the trailer looks really cool! I really want to try this one tomorrow.

fantomena

I am pondering whether to buy The Banner Saga for a friendly colleague's birthday. Do you have any impression, especially from these of you who have stopped playing the game after an hour or so?

(image incoming)

If Steam sale history repeats itself, there will be a Steam Indie Spring Sale during march. Maybe wait till then?

Wok

If Steam sale history repeats itself, there will be a Steam Indie Spring Sale during march. Maybe wait till then?

Yeah, but birthday is tomorrow. This would mean I buy Speedrunners for him and for me, and Hexcells Plus, because I like it and he would like it as well.

Turfster

Dat RPS impression of Plants vs Orks.
Storm of Vengeance, a finished-feeling beta version which I’ve spent the last couple of days with, is to Warhammer 40,000 what the Brighton & Hove Naked Bike Ride is to the Tour de France. It sounds so… exciting in concept, but the reality is neither sexy or especially devoted to the activity of choice.
Not that I'm surprised, but... ouch.

jGN5G3M.jpg

In my defense, your honor, I was merely idling the game for cards.

It's next on my list and I'll probably start it today or towmorrow, but that probably won't help you.

Wok

In my defense, your honor, I was merely idling the game for cards.

It's next on my list and I'll probably start it today or towmorrow, but that probably won't help you.

Thanks for the bump on the new page.

At least, it does not mean the game is bad. I have read good reviews about the game, it is just the small playtime which got me suspicious. If it is only idling for cards, this is fine for me.

FRACT OSC is planned on Steam next month.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/243220/

By the way, there are some new upcoming games.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

For me a big appeal of a strategy RPG is the character development. Getting your team, customizing their skills and equipment, getting super attached to them so that when someone dies it's absolutely crushing.

Banner Saga is really underwhelming in that department. The combat is ok, but I found myself getting bored real quick.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
van helsing 2? im ok with that

Pre-orders are here which includes "beta" access on Steam.

I really liked the first game, but the developers really crossed the line into douchebaggery (in my opinion) with releasing the "Complete Pack" for less than the cost of the DLC of the original game.

Looking at these pricing tiers doesn't give me much hope that things have changed.

I'll likely be skipping this one, or at the very least I'll be waiting for a pretty significant discount on the "Complete Pack" this time around.

For me a big appeal of a strategy RPG is the character development. Getting your team, customizing their skills and equipment, getting super attached to them so that when someone dies it's absolutely crushing.

Banner Saga is really underwhelming in that department. The combat is ok, but I found myself getting bored real quick.

Same here. I really loved the art style, and the soundtrack was absolutely amazing. The gameplay itself felt pretty empty, honestly. I didn't play it long, obviously, so it might pick up more after the first hour.

Diedac

Enjoy

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Insterstellar marines -- MB-D79B0C5AEB05F618 - Taken by Darth Kupi

jGN5G3M.jpg

I never stopped playing. It just took me almost seven hours to beat it.

another ramble

I see people having no qualms with dishing out full retail price for an SP only game.

but when it comes to an MP only game? Nnnnnope. It lacks content and has bad price/time value. What?

Those people need to get over themselves and move on already.

Did Quake 3 and UT also get this much flak back then from the community? I wasn't on forums back then, can't recall that, only the heaps of praise from critics and rl friends.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

jGN5G3M.jpg

I liked it but it has some major flaws, like a weird save system and a lot of difficulty spikes and imbalances. It's a beautiful game with a very nice story and solid gameplay but I don't think it's worth it's current price, wait for it to get a 50% discount.

Anteater

annnnnd on another note: Frog Fractions 2 kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/475057068/frog-fractions-2 I want whatever shit he comes up with on my Steam list.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/711/223/67561d5d5fe1a58597b3a58acedfc7e6_large.png?1394061864[IMG][/QUOTE]

hmm interesting, will keep an eye on this

Wok

I am pretty sure he would miss the customization as well. Thanks for the feedback!

Same here. I really loved the art style, and the soundtrack was absolutely amazing. The gameplay itself felt pretty empty, honestly. I didn't play it long, obviously, so it might pick up more after the first hour.

I liked it but it has some major flaws, like a weird save system and a lot of difficulty spikes and imbalances. It's a beautiful game with a very nice story and solid gameplay but I don't think it's worth it's current price, wait for it to get a 50% discount.

Thanks for the feedback! I think I will go with some games which might suit him better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom