• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreoleo

How come you hate basketball?

I'll admit some of it comes from my own ignorance of not seeing a large bulk of the strategy in the game, but ultimately I find it pretty boring to watch and the first 50 minutes of game time largely unimportant since you can make a lot happen in the last few minutes with good clock management.

Also Lebron James is the most horrible person in the world
I'm from Cleveland area and my HS was rivals with his so I was unfortunate enough to be aware of his arrogance before he even achieved anything

So...Lego Marvel?

Never played a Lego game, because come on, I'm 21. But this actually looks good and an open Marvel-verse Manhattan with all kinds of Heroes sounds great.

Any impressions?

Levyne

Banned
So...Lego Marvel?

Never played a Lego game, because come on, I'm 21. But this actually looks good and an open Marvelv-verse Manhattan with all kinds of Heroes sounds great.

Any impressions?

It's a fun game if you like collecting stuff and want a shallow, simple diversion.

Today's Spelunky Daily Challenge is the easiest and most giving (in terms of items and chances for health) I've seen. Easily enough money to buy everything in the black market, plenty of bombs and ropes, jetpack, able to get the plasma gun no problem.

So of course I waste the Ankh immediately in the black market due to man-eating plant, have an alien be frozen and land on a shopkeeper, and be crushed by Olmec within just one block space away from him dying.

I love this game. Now to try out Project Cyber.

Was there a Plasma Cannon in the wild?
Or did you go into the ship to get it?

Uncharted 2 has its flaws but it's multiplayer was fucking brilliant....until Naughty Dog completely fucked it up. Then they did an Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta which was great.....until Naughty Dog completely fucked it up. They can never leave their multiplayer games alone and end up ruining them.

It's also much much better than Tomb Raiders shittastic multiplayer which was godawful in every way, this is coming from someone who enjoyed TR single player quite a bit.

I dunno -- I played a ton of the betas trying to figure out why everyone seemed to like it (other than Sony owners wanting some sort of online multiplayer TPS since Gears was a 360 exclusive) and I think it was a single match of Uncharted 2's second beta -- it was on the snow map and someone managed to make it so we all spawned with RPGs. THAT was fun. And then I never landed in another match like that. I tried the co-op horde mode type stuff when Uncharted 2 released and didn't vibe with that either so I sold the game for just about full price about 3 days after getting it.

To my quote about loving Brother's:
Those are pretty oddball opinions even by my standards.

Just cause the masses like something doesn't mean it's good. After reading all the hype here in SteamGAF I played Brothers through and found it boring, clumsy, predictable, and just not fun. Some of the artwork was good (see Grief's screens) and a couple of the detail moments were good... but on the whole, I was just glad it was done and over. It's one of the few games I've ever decided to give a thumbs down to on Steam.

As far as Uncharted 2 goes? Same deal. I personally think it's the worst of the 4 games. I know it's not the "popular" opinion, but it's my opinion and I'm not going to change it just to fit in. :p

*brofist*

Well your wrong, Tomb Raider is a great game but it's not even in the same league as Uncharted 2, Uncharted 2 is one of the best games of last generation, Tomb Raider isn't.

There are a lot of good games in the last generation. If you want to put an Uncharted game in the mix, it's either the original or the third game. It is definitely not the second. As I said above, it's the worst of all 4 games. Maybe I think that because I don't want to play Uncharted for the shootbangs and that's what Uncharted 2 was (probably due to the amount of development resources they had to expend on multiplayer that release).

As far as set piece based games goes, I found Uncharted to be the best. That's something!

If you mean the original, I'll agree, at least to the extent that I think the first Uncharted is the best Uncharted.

Amazon price matched Steam's discount on NBA 2k14, which activates on Steam.

Some people have $5 coupons for the game that still apply from when they were offering $5 off the pre-order back in September.

I'm trying to decide if I want to spend $5 on this...

I did. And I had a $5 gc from Bing, so it cost me all of $0.40.

I'd say having both Gods & Kings and Brave New World is optimal. Gods & Kings applies to the early and mid game, then religion largely falls off as an important relationship modifier with other Civs. Espionage is only useful depending on the difficulty you're playing on. If you're not playing on 5 and up then you're largely just using spies to rig City-State relations as you'll generally be more technologically advanced than the A.I. Civs. On the higher difficulty levels you'll need espionage to cherry pick techs off of the other Civs. Brave New World applies more to the mid and late game with game spanning political events (the world congress) and then improved/expanded late game ideologies which become the late game relationship modifiers. Brave New Worlds trading can be accessed fairly early game and that can be an important modifier with other Civs in the early game.

Really all Brave New World and Gods & Kings do is improve on various facets of the game and add new depth that wasn't present in Civ V vanilla. Plus you get some of the most interesting Civs, I think, added to the game. Venice can't make settlers, you can use great merchants to buy City-States or go the more traditional route and conquer your neighbours. The Shoshone have massive territory bonuses when they settle a city, think Tradition policy track huge, so you can be aggressive with your expansions, grab lots of land and resources before your neighbours can. Poland and Brazil are highly geared towards Cultural victories, there's a lot of interesting and varied playstyles in BNW new Civs.

I'm sitting at 810 hours in Civ V, so I guess I'm kinda biased when I say you should buy BNW.

Just replying to let you know that I read this and I appreciate your input. I've been at work so I couldn't respond earlier.

derExperte

There are a lot of good games in the last generation. If you want to put an Uncharted game in the mix, it's either the original or the third game. It is definitely not the second. As I said above, it's the worst of all 4 games. Maybe I think that because I don't want to play Uncharted for the shootbangs and that's what Uncharted 2 was (probably due to the amount of development resources they had to expend on multiplayer that release).

U1 has the most shooting sections of all three games with wave after wave of enemies, U2 reached a perfect balance and U3 played like a collection of parts that were too bad for U2 plus worse controls even after the patch.

Never played a Lego game, because come on, I'm 21.

When you're 31 you'll realize that that's just silly. Start with Marvel and then work your way backwards.

Vecks

Here.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ONE FINGER DEATH PUNCH -- MB-44566D97E5EF2CFC - Taken by tylergregg. 25 entrants total.

t1394685795z1.png

natertots

So...Lego Marvel?

Never played a Lego game, because come on, I'm 21. But this actually looks good and an open Marvel-verse Manhattan with all kinds of Heroes sounds great.

Any impressions?

Can't go wrong here for 10 bucks. There is a ton of characters to unlock and running through the open world Manhattan is surprisingly fun. It's pretty to look at too, which is always a bonus.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
They don't? Well that's pointless.

Trashbot got like 10 pages of these coupons within the first 15 minutes of these coupons being pushed out.

Totally worthless. If you want the game, it's already cheaper.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Was there a Plasma Cannon in the wild?
Or did you go into the ship to get it?

I went to the ship to get it. I'm not a fan of the temple in any fashion, so I rather just blow up everything up and calmly walk through the rubble and the cannon is the best way to do so.

def sim

If you mean the original, I'll agree, at least to the extent that I think the first Uncharted is the best Uncharted.

I mean the series as a whole. Naughty Dog makes the best set pieces/scripted events for what that's worth.

The first game was heavily focused on shooting and it's the weakest aspect of the series. It's no better a TPS than most others in the genre, which is fine, I had fun, but its gunplay is not a defining aspect of the series for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Uncharted 1 is better than Uncharted 2.

It's been years since I've played either, so I don't know if I'd say the original is better, but I certainly prefer it to both 2 and 3, if only for the setting (ancient ruins littered among a lush jungle island with a dash of abandoned Nazi research base).

So my card is getting declined, which is weird because I've used it before on Steam, I know I have enough money on it, and it's not being declined anywhere else.

Would anyone be willing to gift me Lego Marvel and I could pay you back through Paypal, or gift you a game of equal amount (would have to be from Humble, GameFly, etc. cause of the Steam issues)? Sorry if this isn't the place to post this

def sim

It's been years since I've played either, so I don't know if I'd say it's better, but I certainly prefer it to both 2 and 3, if only for the setting (ancient ruins littered among a lush jungle island with a dash of abandoned Nazi research base).

Its been a long time for me, as well. Maybe my opinion would change if I replayed them. I find that scripted events don't hold up well after the first time.

My preference for U2 has a lot more to do with spectacle than gameplay.

UC2 was probably the best MP game on ps3

I thought Warhawk and Killzone 2 were a lot of fun. I admit I didn't really give Uncharted multiplayer much of a chance past a few games, though.

So my card is getting declined, which is weird because I've used it before on Steam, I know I have enough money on it, and it's not being declined anywhere else.

Would anyone be willing to gift me Lego Marvel and I could pay you back through Paypal, or gift you a game of equal amount (would have to be from Humble, GameFly, etc. cause of the Steam issues)? Sorry if this isn't the place to post this

I'll help you out. Add me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Since so many people have problems with this and typically ask about it, I'm adding this warning message to Enhanced Steam:

Y3oZnML.png

Thoughts?

U2 doesn't have any jetski sections so you're clearly wrong.

Those Jestki sections were better than the reused train sections, the appalling final boss battle and the heist sections of Uncharted 2. Plus Uncharted didn't have one of the worst supernatural twists I've witnessed in ANY MEDIUM either. Ancient curse reanimating the dead in Uncharted? Okay, I can roll with that. Smurfs on steroids because they ate too many smurfberries? Yeah, throw that shit in the same dumpster fire as The Crystal Skull.

It's been years since I've played either, so I don't know if I'd say the original is better, but I certainly prefer it to both 2 and 3, if only for the setting (ancient ruins littered among a lush jungle island with a dash of abandoned Nazi research base).

Agreed.

One of my major problems with Uncharted 2 is that it's just about all NON STOP ACTION... it's got a couple of those "slow down for the sake of story" sections like the village and a few puzzles (maybe 3? :lol)... I want a game that's like an Indiana Jones film... and as far as I'm concerned, as I say above, Uncharted 2 is pretty much "The Crystal Skull" of the Trilogy. ;)

UC2 was probably the best MP game on ps3

I'd almost give you best first party... because there weren't a lot of first party multiplayer titles that I encountered that were worthwhile, but Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 were leagues better than Uncharted in terms of multiplayer for me. I sunk hours upon hours into each. Hell, I even liked the original Resistance's multi more than any of the Uncharted stuff. The Uncharted multi never clicked for me probably because (1) I always felt something was off with the animation/movement in terms of... friction... but that's hard to explain, (2) the Uncharted series to me is supposed to be about exploration and treasure hunting with some combat/gunfights thrown in and that never screamed "multiplayer" to me so (3) I'd rather just go play Gears of War if I wanted a TPS multiplayer experience.

Its been a long time for me, as well. Maybe my opinion would change if I replayed them. I find that scripted events don't hold up well after the first time.

My preference for U2 has a lot more to do with spectacle than gameplay.

I thought Warhawk and Killzone 2 were a lot of fun. I admit I didn't really give Uncharted multiplayer much of a chance past a few games, though.

Agreed on Killzone.
And I don't know about spectacle, but I was never awed by much in U2. I liked the set pieces in the other 3 games much better. Beyond that, I ABSOLUTELY LOATHED the climbing up the train and the reuse of that later in the game. So much so that when I was in the ship graveyard in U3 and climbing up out of the area with all the water and sunken wrecks, I had flashbacks to U2 and immediately wanted to quit playing.

How did you achieve being objectively wrong about something. That's not how these things work.

I just didn't drink the kool-aid, man.

RS4-

I want to mention KZ2 along with UC2, but, and this is my fault, I got burnt out from just tearing through KZ in the first two weeks or so.

Unfortunately, some of the maps were just straight bad, one in particular, I remember is just a mess with nade spamming. Actually two maps, one is Radec's Academy or something.

Sniping felt damn good in it though; and shotguns to the face...even though it was pretty scrubby because of the huge auto aim attached to it.
KZ3 on the other hand, I didn't play much because my ps3 was dead; didn't pick up another one until KZ3 was probably a year old. Gave it a go for maybe an hour or two and just couldn't get into it.

But UC was just fun through and through.

UC3 was just shit. Garbage MP and I just didn't enjoy SP at all.

I may not have drank the kool-aid, but I can still share the wealth...

ModBot said:
I am giving away 33 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (corrosivefrost, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bad Hotel -- MB-E36A719E5092D2C7 - Taken by Mavromatis. 7 entrants total.
Takedown: Red Sabre -- MB-ECE8BF974C9418F1 - Taken by AlmostMilk. 1 entrants total.
Dynamite Jack -- MB-CBEF8F1629C6BEBD - Taken by Volcynika. 1 entrants total.
Eryi's Action -- MB-ED5D0D76ADF48FD9 - Taken by bronson. 9 entrants total.
Time Gentlemen Please & Ben There, Dan That -- MB-F28111D5417464F2 - Taken by trailmix16. 1 entrants total.
Hero of the Kingdom -- MB-B4F54E74EF156648 - Taken by VikasNarula. 1 entrants total.
POSTAL -- MB-E1538F2B0128CCE0 - Taken by kevin1025. 4 entrants total.
Fez -- MB-B44033A7C08A1542 - Taken by Evrain. 1 entrants total.
Blue Toad Murder Files -- MB-95E38C09125EE251 - Taken by Zeeman. 2 entrants total.
Gentlemen! -- MB-59BC320602F69395 - Taken by SalsaShark. 2 entrants total.
Dream Pinball 3D -- MB-D3FD7686AB9F8F94 - Taken by Aitor. 1 entrants total.
Fortix 2 -- MB-E6DA7CD76D82BA33 - Taken by Ezalc. 3 entrants total.
Sparkle 2 Evo -- MB-A89F11A1FBBCA87C - Taken by Garcia. 1 entrants total.
Mutant Storm Reloaded -- MB-9F6F6B610724FD1C - Taken by derExperte. 2 entrants total.
Arcane Worlds -- MB-0EF661437A36F390 - Taken by scorpscarx. 3 entrants total.
Rock of Ages -- MB-552F4BC0CD197ED8 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 5 entrants total.
Beat Buddy -- MB-FD314453DE59BEC5 - Taken by FOX_. 2 entrants total.
Dino D-Day -- MB-78F33BEA57ECA858 - Taken by random. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
(Desura) Raiden Legacy The Return -- MB-2D88BA2B3FE80F9E - Taken by Htown. 2 entrants total.
Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood -- MB-30999C63A41C81D7 - Taken by NingenJanai. 1 entrants total.
SpaceChem -- MB-263E1C796EE65234
Monday Night Combat -- MB-7AB1A39F6295E79E - Taken by Fool (I dream of Zack Snyder). 1 entrants total.
Saturday Morning RPG -- MB-A2696553D355ADC6 - Taken by adriano999. 9 entrants total.
Fairy Bloom Freesia -- MB-BF85C5028CCC1290 - Taken by Tellaerin. 1 entrants total.
Data Jammers: FastForward -- MB-C9F4E964C024ED83 - Taken by topyy. 1 entrants total.
Space Pirates and Zombies -- MB-B4D4EBC1E1414B30
Blockland -- MB-8C7127E8204CACFD - Taken by Kuroyume. 1 entrants total.
Adventures of Shuggy -- MB-72C82FC1C93D9541 - Taken by Scipius. 1 entrants total.
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-D059EFD193DE0D4A - Taken by Dambrosi. 2 entrants total.
Plain Sight -- MB-A30D89AC8739D27C - Taken by Vecks. 1 entrants total.
Critical Mass -- MB-CAF8A68D6517B848 - Taken by AScotAbroad. 2 entrants total.
Gun Monkeys -- MB-78BB7B94A39F49B2 - Taken by drakaenae. 1 entrants total.
Vox -- MB-4FAA9AFE381A4848 - Taken by alr1ght. 1 entrants total.

t1394688900z1.png

Hmmm... 33 is a new record for me, I think.
It's a free for all, so enter for as many as you like.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Still playing through South Park. It's a fun game and I'm actually enjoying the battle mechanics, so it might inspire me to check out similar games in the future. From what I've heard, I'm just under halfway through the main story but it feels like it's just about to properly kick off narrative wise.
Paper Mario 1 & 2 and Costume Quest. Those are similar to South Park, and great too.

derExperte

One of my major problems with Uncharted 2 is that it's just about all NON STOP ACTION... it's got a couple of those "slow down for the sake of story" sections like the village and a few puzzles (maybe 3? :lol)... I want a game that's like an Indiana Jones film... and as far as I'm concerned, as I say above, Uncharted 2 is pretty much "The Crystal Skull" of the Trilogy. ;)

I'll give you the bad boss in U2 but that's about it and I can't understand why someone can complain about too much action and then prefer U1 whose major point of critiscm has always been too many shootouts with too many enemies spawning without end. Also there were more and better puzzles in U2.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I have over 110 hours in it, though I am a big time NBA fan. There is a Space Jam mod for it that is well worth the $5
I was thinking about this. I loved those screenshots, but I don't know if I'll ever play it so as to justify the purchase.

It's still a good game without the mod, right?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I got 25% off Pixel Piracy. But it's already on sale for 33% and you can't combine the coupon with other deals.

Another game for the ever-growing summer sale list.

Oreoleo

I was thinking about this. I loved those screenshots, but I don't know if I'll ever play it so as to justify the purchase.

It's still a good game without the mod, right?

What hooked me was the create-a-player career mode. Most sports games you have franchise mode where you pick a team and you try to take that team to the finals/super bowl/etc and in-game play as whoever has the ball, and between games play the part of GM making trades and whatnot. In the NBA2k games you can create an avatar who then goes through the draft, gets signed by a team based on how well you did in the rookie showcase, and only play the parts of the game where your avatar is actually on court. You won't always be 'the guy with the ball' so there's an equal reliance on learning offense and defense. You can be traded and all that good stuff too, but it's not really your decision since you aren't the GM. It's like role-playing in a way (and, actually, you do get XP and can level up a bunch of stats to fill out your roll on the team better, now that I think about it) and is fairly unique. I don't play a ton of sports games but I haven't seen anything like it in any other series.

Zeeman

Time to give back to the thread again, after so much generosity:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Zeeman:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Crusader Kings II -- MB-E06710AC8684610B - Taken by crimsonheadGCN. 5 entrants total.

t1394680396z1.png

Let me know if anything doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom