• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said every person who has played the PC version.

I posted this in the Dark Souls II thread, but I thought you guys might be interested in it as well as it effects the PC version.

The more I watch the 60 FPS/1080p TGS trailer the more I think Bandai has just been showing off the PC version the entire time. There is also some tertiary evidence that these effects will make it into the final PC

I think you're right. I wonder if the April 25th date is really because of development or not wanting to showcase a definite version besides two downgraded versions.

I just want Dark Souls Steamworks so I can finally purchase it.

I believe i'm getting close to the end of The Bureau. If that's the case, damn it's a pretty short game. i think I'm at 8ish hours now.

My biggest gripe is lack of customization. You basically have to play the game one way. I would have really loved to pick my class for Carter and build the team around that.

zkylon

zkylewd
these pics are stills from the trailer, right? and that trailer is what, 5-6 months old?

i mean i'd love to feel sure that the game's gonna look great and all but they could've found out the performance issues in those 4-5 months between the trailer and the game going gold and just downgraded it then.

what's the "tertiary evidence"?

i'm persoanlly a lot less optimistic

Anteater

Said every person who has played the PC version.

I posted this in the Dark Souls II thread, but I thought you guys might be interested in it as well as it effects the PC version.

The more I watch the 60 FPS/1080p TGS trailer the more I think Bandai has just been showing off the PC version the entire time. There is also some tertiary evidence that these effects will make it into the final PC release.

I will go down picture by picture. I've downsampled the footage to 720p so the page doesn't become impossible to load.

hmm, it's been a while but didn't FROM say back then that the first build was actually shown off on pc? I mean the graphics could still get a downgrade (for gameplay reasons because the other platforms are changed) but they made it sound like they were developed individually:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538551

Q: The demo presented during the event ran on PC. This means there is also a PC version developed in-house?

A: The version shown before the interview actually ran on PC. If the first Dark Souls was adapted from consoles to PC, this time, it's the opposite. The PC version serves as a base from which the warranty is adaptations consoles. Clearly, the game is being developed simultaneously on different machines directly internally.

FYC

Banned
Thanks to T-Matt, I won a free copy of Crysis 2, and finished it last night.

Crysis 2 is a first person shooter in which you play as a super solider defending New York from an alien invasion. The Nanosuit gifts the player with super strength and speed, the ability to cloak, and thermal vision to find enemies. You can switch powers on thr fly, and I belive some of the powers from Crysis have been combined into one to streamline it a bit(for instance, the Strength and Speed powerup seem to have been combined into the Power Mode). Crysis 2's greatest strength is definitely making the player feel like the ultimate super solider. You can throw people and kick cars around with ease, stealthily take out an entire patrol like a Predator, leap from rooftop to rooftop, survive huge falls, etc.

The main campaign is composed of multiple levels. Unlike the first Crysis, however, it is much more linear. There's still enough space for the player to choose how they want to proceed, whether that be sneaking through or running in all guns blazing, but it is undoubtedly smaller than the previous entries. The Nanosuit is equipped with binoculars that highlight ways the player can tackle a situation, like showing a turret the player can use, or revealing a path the player can sneak through. This is totally optional, so if you'd prefer to explore and experiment yourself, feel free. Personally, I find there's almost nothing as satisfying as sneaking through an area and picking off every enemy one by one, maybe messing with a few of them along the way.

Probably not much of a surprise, but Crysis 2 is fucking gorgeous. Even on my PC, which is falling behind a bit, I was absolutely stunned at some points. A lot of times I just couldn't believe I was actually playing. That said, I probably need a new PC, as after an hour mine sounded like it was about explode.

Story and dialogue are silly. It didn't take me long to completely stop caring, and the voice acting...Hoo boy. It can get pretty damn bad. I think my favorite moment is when a doctor has a gun pointed at him and he lazily starts begging for his life. "Aww man. Please don't shoot. Oh man. Just...Don't. Please."

There isn't much of a variety in enemies. For the most part, you'll be fighting soliders with a couple of aliens scattered throughout. The last few missions are pretty much all aliens. Most of the aliens are essentially regular soliders, with the odd "heavy" type thrown in and a giant alien that acts as a miniboss you encounter a few times. The aliens drop "Nano Catalysts", which can be used to unlock upgrades for the suit, including faster rengeration, the ability to conceal footsteps, track enemies, etc. When you kill an alien, a large cloud of shiny shit drops where they died, and you have to run into it to pick up the catalysts. Unfortunately, this stuff tends to be a bit glitchy, and I often had to move around a bit for it to finally get picked up. Sometimes it would get stuck in walls or the floor. It's a pretty neat idea, giving a bonus reward for players who decide to take out the aliens.

Would have liked to see some more creative weapons. Most of it is just standard stuff; assault rifles, sniper rifles, RPGs, etc. I can only recall one alien weapon, and it really just felt like a stronger SMG. While the guns felt fine, I wish the team would have a bit of fun with the sci-fi setting! I do like the ability to customize scopes and other stuff on-the-fly.

I enjoyed Crysis 2 quite a bit. I think the series works better when it's more open, but it was still fun to play through. If you liked the first Crysis, I say give it a shot.

Backlogger

It's a good thing I waited on LEGO Marvel! $6.39 on Gamefly with coupon code MAR20OFF.

I paid full price for it a month ago for the xBox 360 because my son had the stomach flu and I felt bad for him and wanted to cheer him up. Even back then you could get the PC version for half the price. I really need to get a competent PC that I can hook up to my TV for these types of games. I used to be jazzed about Steam OS, but case in point, this game is Windows only. I would have to stream it from my other PC. Think I would just rather have windows machine with xBox controllers for now.

As a side note, I noticed how slowly levels load on the xBox 360. Probably the last Lego game I buy for that system.

Sajjaja

Is it just me, or does the Titanfall cover look a lot like the Kingdoms of Amalur cover?

titanfall-xbox-one-cover.jpg

kingdoms_of_amalur_reckoning_frontcover_large_qAeOnizGq4dz6D2.jpg

Ruruja

Would be nice if you could search your games via tags. I have a friend coming round soon and viewing all 'Local Co-op' games would be handy.

How does CS:GO compare to 1.6? Am I gonna get flashbacks to high school?
It's better in ways, different in others that you may or may not find good. If you liked CS at all on a level greater than going on servers that gave you 16k money to play AWP vs. AWP, you'll probably take to it. Most notable difference from the older titles is ranked 5 vs. 5 matchmaking, allowing far greater accessibility to pug style matches.

Darkroronoa

How does CS:GO compare to 1.6? Am I gonna get flashbacks to high school?

In my opinion, global ofensive is the best counter strike, but some people do not like the weapon skins and they think it ruined CS.Also lots of bad (not bad skill, bad manners)source players are immigrating to GO.
About the shooting feeling, i feel GO to be closer to 1.6 than source. But it might be just me.

Grief.exe

what's the "tertiary evidence"?

Living up to your tag, Grief. I admire your optimism.

I tend to lean towards the optimistic in my speculation, but, honestly, a PC version with all of these graphical features game would explain all these discrepancies.

• Delaying the PC release 6 weeks as From finalized the graphical features that didn't make the console version.
  • Not showing any footage or information on the PC version during that time period.
  • The immediate downgrade in visuals between trade shows in January and console footage in February.
  • 60 FPS/1080p trailers/demos with all of the effects in place.
  • Sconces placed throughout the entire game for the, now useless, torch.

Both the final console build and the PC TGS trailer have the exact same geometry and textures. What likely happened is From designed their game engine for PC/next-gen, then had to rip out many of these features last second for performance reasons. From needs some more time to finalize all of these features for the PC version that is releasing at the end of April.

hmm, it's been a while but didn't FROM say back then that the first build was actually shown off on pc? I mean the graphics could still get a downgrade (for gameplay reasons because the other platforms are changed) but they made it sound like they were developed individually:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538551

This trailer is from mid-November though. Subsequent demos all the way up through January showed the same effects, footage, and areas.

I tend to lean towards the optimistic in my speculation, but, honestly, a PC version with all of these graphical features game would explain all these discrepancies.

• Delaying the PC release 6 weeks as From finalized the graphical features that didn't make the console version.
  • Not showing any footage or information on the PC version during that time period.
  • The immediate downgrade in visuals between trade shows in January and console footage in February.

Both the final console build and the PC TGS trailer have the exact same geometry and textures. What likely happened is From designed their game engine for PC/next-gen, then had to rip out many of these features last second for performance reasons. From needs some more time to finalize all of these features for the PC version that is releasing at the end of April.

This trailer is from mid-November though. Subsequent demos all the way up through January showed the same effects, footage, and areas.

You stay optimistic and I'll stay pessimistic. We can balance each other out.
For both our sakes, I hope you're right. I want to throw my money at this game, but after seeing that bridge comparison in the video? I can't bring myself to want to play the console version of the game.

Brad Shoemaker from giant bomb said he had played it weeks ago and it ran considerably worse than how the final release does. I wouldn't be surprised if they just tore some things out after that showing for performance reasons.

Kassu

Banned
Thank god I tried F1 2013 before actually buying it. Didn't remember that I'm one of those few lucky ones who have weird black screen issue with Codemasters games. After playing fine for about 15-30 minutes I suddenly just get black screen and game crashes.

This same issue has been in their games since Dirt 2 and yet nothing has been fixed. And when I try to google help I just find more people complaining about the same issue. Codemasters ffs do your job.

The torch is an interesting thing, would be kind of weird to have a graphic setting option on PC that gave it more viability. Or rather, a higher quality setting to give the game less visibility.

NeoCross

Oh shit, I'm GLAD I held off on buying CS:GO, I've been itching to hit dat purchase button the past few weeks and now that it's just $3 I'll take it, thank you based Valve.

Grief.exe

Got a couple of work-in-progress covers and need some suggestions from you guys.

Is the Steam symbol in this DayZ cover too washed out? I'm wavering back and forth, but I think it should be fine.
If you guys think its too washed out, is there anyway to fix that? I want to keep the symbols white to be uniform on a shelf.

I'm leaning towards the yellow as it is the same in-game and gives the cover a little bit of color, but the white matches the front.

Love the cover art for this one, wish I could find it without the information about Ed in the red blob. Just tweeted Ed to see if I can get it without that issue https://twitter.com/Grief_exe/status/444195689354891264

Oh shit, I'm GLAD I held off on buying CS:GO, I've been itching to hit dat purchase button the past few weeks and now that it's just $3 I'll take it, thank you based Valve.

Spend the money to unlock the Operation Phoenix pass. The crates that can drop at the end of the round are currently worth $2.25 on the Market. You'll make your money back just for playing. That, and the new maps are pretty cool. (Favela has lag issues for some people and tends to be too bottleneck-y for me, but it's not bad.)

The next time they do an Operation pass, buy that one, too, and get your drops as early as you can. They can sell for like $7.00. I came in late on this Operation and still sold my first crate for around $5.

Tellaerin

Nice, no RTP as far as I can see. Wishlisted.

+1. The assets all seem to be original, and it looks like a fun romp.

I have no problem with more RPG Maker games coming to Steam. I'm a big fan of 2D console-style RPG's, so as far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier.

If an RPG Maker game is meant to be a commercial project, I expect to see some effort in the art and music department - even with great writing and original game mechanics, if you're using unmodified RTP graphics and sound, your game's still going to feel like "generic RPG Maker game #183". As long as people are putting in that work, I'm totally supportive of their efforts - they've earned their spot on the storefront like any other legitimate developer.

Zeknurn

I'm still not sure why they didn't just put a normal d-pad in the bottom left. I assume they added the four face buttons to make the controller more in-line with current dual-analog designs, so I don't know why they didn't do that for the d-pad.

Symmetrical for lefties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom