• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The new Steam Controller: http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/14/steam-controller-close-up/

BitbdG9CAAA0218.jpg:large

Brb masturbating furiously. The new design is fantastic. I still love that the haptic pads are in the natural thumb position unlike the right stick for the 360 pad and both sticks on the DS3.

Grief.exe

I'm still not sure why they didn't just put a normal d-pad in the bottom left. I assume they added the four face buttons to make the controller more in-line with current dual-analog designs, so I don't know why they didn't do that for the d-pad.

How are we expected to use this for fighting games...I can't imagine it.

I think the Steam controller has been designed to fill a particular niche. This is the PC platform after all, if you need a D-Pad, Fighting Stick, Race Wheel, what have you, then you can plug in the optimal controller for the situation.

If you want to play some Civ, Morrowind, or Deus Ex from your couch, then use the Steam Controller.

Brb masturbating furiously. The new design is fantastic. I still love that the haptic pads are in the natural thumb position unlike the right stick for the 360 pad and both sticks on the DS3.

It makes even more sense as you consider the primary buttons are located on the triggers and back of the controller. The face buttons are primarily for tertiary functions, IE opening up your inventory.

NeoCross

Spend the money to unlock the Operation Phoenix pass. The crates that can drop at the end of the round are currently worth $2.25 on the Market. You'll make your money back just for playing. That, and the new maps are pretty cool. (Favela has lag issues for some people and tends to be too bottleneck-y for me, but it's not bad.)

The next time they do an Operation pass, buy that one, too, and get your drops as early as you can. They can sell for like $7.00. I came in late on this Operation and still sold my first crate for around $5.

How much are the passes by the way? And yeah I'll be playing this a lot, used to play a lot of CS (up to 1.6) back in the day, so it's good to hear I can still earn stuff as I play.

Miker

Symmetrical for lefties.

But lefties don't seem to have a problem w/ all the numerous asymmetrical controllers released since dual analog became a thing.

I'm left handed and I use controllers just fine.

Yeah, that's really the thing - without an actual d-pad, you're pretty much forced to use the left touchpad for movement. The left "button diamond" seems like it'll be good for single inputs (switching weapons, etc.) and not for actual navigation.

I think the Steam controller has been designed to fill a particular niche. This is the PC platform after all, if you need a D-Pad, Fighting Stick, Race Wheel, what have you, then you can plug in the optimal controller for the situation.

If you want to play some Civ, Morrowind, or Deus Ex from your couch, then use the Steam Controller.

A d-pad on the left instead of a button diamond would not disrupt its function as a controller for PC games, but it does disrupt its function as a controller for more console-oriented genres.

Sajjaja

But at this point, it seems like it has the same inputs as other controllers. I'm sure someone could map the analog sticks to a mouse input or w/e. It's kind of lost its benefit. But again, I guess you're right. But it seems silly to choose this say over the PS4 controller where the touchpad acts like a mouse trackpad.

I noticed that a few weeks ago when I was playing through Kingdoms of Amalur, but I didn't want to say anything because I thought it was just me.

I thought I was the only one too lol.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It makes even more sense as you consider the primary buttons are located on the triggers and back of the controller. The face buttons are primarily for tertiary functions, IE opening up your inventory.

Exactly, 99% of the time for 99% of games I play my thumbs rest on the sticks.

def sim

But at this point, it seems like it has the same inputs as other controllers. I'm sure someone could map the analog sticks to a mouse input or w/e. It's kind of lost its benefit. But again, I guess you're right. But it seems silly to choose this say over the PS4 controller where the touchpad acts like a mouse trackpad.

I haven't tried the DS4's track pad on PC, but would it work well for games like Civ? Using it to navigate the map in Black Flag for PS4 didn't feel as responsive as I would like.

Grief.exe

Steam symbol was a little hard to see on the DayZ stuff, had to blow up the image to actually find it.

Honest question : what do you do with these? Print them off and put in blank cases?

That is the plan! It is just strange that I have all my favorite console games on my shelf, but that isn't representative of my favorite games.

I do actually have a lot of fun just messing around and creating the covers in Photoshop though. Its almost like a hobby, I did the same thing with GB/GBA boxes that I printed out of card stock.

Aria of Sorrow, Golden Sun, Harvest Moon, Mario & Luigi, Metroid Zero Mission, Pokemon Red, and Zelda Minish Cap are all boxes I made, the rest are real.

ibkV3IIIJ0OVnv.png

I think Grief's conclusions on Dark Souls 2 makes the most sense. I know console players played the beta and they said it looked the same and ran good, but I do not trust console players for how things run and look since their standards many times seem a bit different.

You stay optimistic and I'll stay pessimistic. We can balance each other out.
For both our sakes, I hope you're right. I want to throw my money at this game, but after seeing that bridge comparison in the video? I can't bring myself to want to play the console version of the game.

Not usually pessimistic are you?

I think Grief's conclusions on Dark Souls 2 makes the most sense. I know console players played the beta and they said it looked the same and ran good, but I do not trust console players for how things run and look since their standards many times seem a bit different.
Network test beta actually gave me a foul first impression of it, things were Doom 3 dark, framerate and controls were sluggish, animations were poor, I came out of it with a strengthened resolve to play it on PC but also with the hope that things would be adjusted.

Sajjaja

I haven't tried the DS4's track pad on PC, but would it work well for games like Civ? Using it to navigate the map in Black Flag for PS4 didn't feel as responsive as I would like.

This I'm not sure, but I've read it works well, though its still being tweaked I think. Not sure how it works for CIv though.

Grief.exe

The network test and retail build were essentially the same, other than some brightness changes

imN72a7hYHbVp.gif
ixvoQx9xSvzFN.gif

(gif on the right reflects the retail version, left network test)

Grief.exe

^I'm gonna wait for Durante to fix it either way

Durante wouldn't be able to fix many of these graphical effects if the trailer/demo was from a separate vertical slice of the game. Keep in mind this is totally a valid theory as the demo shown off has completely different geometry and textures from the PC trailer and the final console release.

If my theory is correct and the effects were finalized for the PC/next-gen versions and ripped out last minute for performance reasons on console, than we will have them back.

Dark Souls 2 has been preordered, and now the painful month and a half wait begins. I also preordered Deus Ex The Fall for some reason...hopefully that will be okay.

def sim

Those directional buttons are closer than I thought. It'll probably play with fighters well enough. Better than the 360, anyway.

Silly Saj, you don't use pads for fighting games, you use a fight stick.

Not usually pessimistic are you?

Hahaha. Hi. Have you read my posts? ;)

I did and didn't notice anything different so far. Forums say that some of the online/connectivity mods don't work anymore.

GOOD. Dark Souls is not meant to be played with friends in the first place.

GUtIaDs.jpg

Milamber

Wonder if they will go local for the commercial factory build release of the controllers? If they do go China, I hope that there won't be some quality issues.

Kuroyume

Banned

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Infected: The Twin Vaccine -- MB-EBD955DC4C819A97 - Taken by BundysFeet. 3 entrants total.
Gun Monkeys -- MB-812EEA9FFB3D89A7 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 1 entrants total.
Axis Game Factory -- MB-1C35F0D80AACC411 - Taken by The Dear Leader. 3 entrants total.

t1394828226z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom