• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the plan! It is just strange that I have all my favorite console games on my shelf, but that isn't representative of my favorite games.
That's actually a really good idea, some of my favourite games, like Dust An Elysian Tail and To The Moon, don't have any representation on my shelf.

I'm going to copy you, I'll burn their DRM-free versions to a DVD and then put them in a DVD case.

I should have done this sooner, thanks for the idea.

Mairu

I'm sure I'll pick one of the Steam Controllers up but I am honestly not sure what games I'd prefer to use it over a keyboard/mouse or 360/ps4 controller

JustinBB7

GOOD. Dark Souls is not meant to be played with friends in the first place.

GUtIaDs.jpg

I agree with you, but my friend would never finish it by herself without my help. (or other peoples I guess) but since she's not gonna play it alone anyway, I might as well have fun and play with her. So if this ruins the connectivity fix that would suck.

FloatOn

if you drink enough...it might actually LOOK like you're playing on the PC version.

Let us know how it is.

I played about 1.5 hours last night. I'm probably not far enough in but I actually don't mind the down grade.

When you first make it to Majula you will probably be impressed. Even if you play it on a lowly console.

That said, I think it will be even more impressive when I get to play on PC since the only thing that is slightly bothersome is the load times between deaths.

Tellaerin

I'm sure I'll pick one of the Steam Controllers up but I am honestly not sure what games I'd prefer to use it over a keyboard/mouse or 360/ps4 controller

In my case, the Steam controller's more of a solution searching for a problem. I do most of my gaming at the PC, sitting in a comfy chair rather than on a comfy couch. My keyboard's right there in front of me, so a controller that's meant as a KB/M replacement for PC-centric games isn't something I have a burning need for. It does look cool, I have to admit. : ) Depending on the price, it might be one of those things I'd pick up to use with certain games. I'd probably want to mess around with one and see how it feels first, though.

Backlogger

Agreed, but I can't help but wonder on certain games what Steam and the community will come up with in terms of controller profiles for the Steam controller. I mean for games that you would normally use a KB & Mouse for.

I used to play around with xPadder and while it worked really well for some games (older FPS games that never had controller support for example), it just didn't work well on other games where mouse movements didn't translate well to a control stick (like Terreria or Torchlight).

From everything I have read the touch pads on the Steam controller were specifically designed to handle that type of mouse input.

Maybe it will still suck on traditional Kb and M games, but I am just curious to see how it all unfolds.

Grief.exe

Still think the xbox one controller is the best controller money can buy for a PC.

Did you try the drivers? The unofficial ones were just released yesterday or the day before.

I would argue that, right now, the DS4 or 360 controller are your best options.

Dolor

In my case, the Steam controller's more of a solution searching for a problem. I do most of my gaming at the PC, sitting in a comfy chair rather than on a comfy couch. My keyboard's right there in front of me, so a controller that's meant as a KB/M replacement for PC-centric games isn't something I have a burning need for. It does look cool, I have to admit. : ) Depending on the price, it might be one of those things I'd pick up to use with certain games. I'd probably want to mess around with one and see how it feels first, though.

For me, I'm looking at it as a good way to play M/KB games without a M/KB. The reason that is important to me is that I use a M/KB all day at work, then I get home and play games all night with a M/KB. It has given me some carpal tunnel (mild), but I think this would be a good way to play Tropico for example using the controller and give my other hand muscles a bit of a break.

I agree with you, but my friend would never finish it by herself without my help. (or other peoples I guess) but since she's not gonna play it alone anyway, I might as well have fun and play with her. So if this ruins the connectivity fix that would suck.

I can't pretend to understand your friend's reasoning, but it's nice that you get to play more and help her out. Or did.

That's why it's so easy to connect and co-op with friends on consoles right? And why the connectivity is considered broken on PC because it fails to connect you?

What?
When I played Dark Souls, there was no "easy connect and co-op" on consoles. The x360 crowd which seems to REQUIRE co-op for anything they play was pissed that you couldn't join a friend's session and that you would have to try to resummon in other areas because of boundaries. So much so, that people started trying to figure out strange places to put summon signs and other tricks for getting a better chance of pulling in a friend instead of a random. Unless they changed this in that patch I was talking about, and I don't think they did, it was never "easy to connect and coop on consoles" in the original Dark Souls. Now if they changed that for Dark Souls II, that's unfortunate and a change I don't like one bit.

Did you try the drivers? The unofficial ones were just released yesterday or the day before.

I would argue that, right now, the DS4 or 360 controller are your best options.

DS3 or DS4 without a doubt.

mrgone

Weird, I just got a GFWL update starting up Dark Souls. I bet this patch will be the one that fixes everything. Right? A month before the service shuts down? Ahrmgawwd.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Although I already bought it. I heard that we can get mad amounts of money buy selling its card and stuff.
And can't see it in my inventory. Seems like an error.

I'm fashionably late, but for what it's worth, I prefer GO to Source and think it's an acceptable amalgamation of classic and modern Counter-Strike. The only reason I still play Source, in fact, is that GO's in-built GunGame mode lacks the granular finesse of the mod for Source -- a mate and I made a somewhat elaborate drinking game out of it and until we can accurately replicate it in GO we'll be sticking with ol' Tried n' True.

mrgone

Nope.

Current GFWL patch and Dark Souls Steamworks patch are mutually exclusive.

Oh, I didn't mean it was going to be the ultimate fix. Just the fix for long loads, lost savegames, and unexpected fucking patches that seem to do nothing a month before a service shuts down.

JaseC

An ad for The Grand Budapest Hotel aired just now and it said "An all-star cast" and one of them was Saoirse :3

I know that she is in there, I liked that the aknowledged Saoirse

Speaking of, from the few reviews I've read what you see of her in the trailer is almost what you get, but I'd expected as much as in past interviews she'd made a point of correcting previous reports that she had a prominent role. I'm not overly fussed, though, since I'm a big fan of Wes Anderson in general -- Saoirse is just the proverbial cherry on top. I just hope that when the film begins screening here next month I don't have to trek into the city to see it, haha.

In my opinion, global ofensive is the best counter strike, but some people do not like the weapon skins and they think it ruined CS.Also lots of bad (not bad skill, bad manners)source players are immigrating to GO.
About the shooting feeling, i feel GO to be closer to 1.6 than source. But it might be just me.

Agreed on all the points! I like the game so much that I bought a copy to my bro today. Only thing bad about is some (many) of the fellow players.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What?
When I played Dark Souls, there was no "easy connect and co-op" on consoles. The x360 crowd which seems to REQUIRE co-op for anything they play was pissed that you couldn't join a friend's session and that you would have to try to resummon in other areas because of boundaries. So much so, that people started trying to figure out strange places to put summon signs and other tricks for getting a better chance of pulling in a friend instead of a random. Unless they changed this in that patch I was talking about, and I don't think they did, it was never "easy to connect and coop on consoles" in the original Dark Souls. Now if they changed that for Dark Souls II, that's unfortunate and a change I don't like one bit.
Summon signs literally say the person's name. It is easy as hell to co-op the game with a friend. There is nothing wrong with it either.

Relax.MX

I know is for Origin but someone know about some sale of FIFA14?

And when GFWL die? im currently playing Dark Souls and i fear for my save :(

Tellaerin

For me, I'm looking at it as a good way to play M/KB games without a M/KB. The reason that is important to me is that I use a M/KB all day at work, then I get home and play games all night with a M/KB. It has given me some carpal tunnel (mild), but I think this would be a good way to play Tropico for example using the controller and give my other hand muscles a bit of a break.

Speaking as someone who had to go to physical therapy for carpal tunnel many moons ago, I can sympathize. Kinda wish the Steam controller had been a thing back then, thinking back on it now. (Though it probably would've been overkill for Doom II anyway. >.> )

JaseC

GFWL will be killed off come July 1st, but even if Scamco were to baffle the world by refusing to patch it out of Dark Souls you'd still be able to play the game with the help of an offline (local) profile.

Summon signs literally say the person's name. It is easy as hell to co-op the game with a friend. There is nothing wrong with it either.

They didn't when I played it.
And yes, there is. Just like Demon's Souls before it, it's meant to be played with random members of the community, should you choose to interact. There's no party system and no voice chat for a reason.
And I wouldn't call it easy when you can easily find topics like this all over message boards:
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_360_games/a_d/f/2134/t/205689.aspx

dani_dc

Be sure to use DSfix backup ability, even if the save gets lost if GFWL gets patched out, chances are that someone will be able to find a way to transfer saves.

They didn't when I played it.
And yes, there is.

I don't think there's anything wrong per-say, especially if players enjoy the experience more that way, but it's definitively not the experience that the developers intended.
It is a very fun way to replay the game though.

Be sure to use DSfix backup ability, even if the save gets lost if GFWL gets patched out, chances are that someone will be able to find a way to transfer saves.

I don't think there's anything wrong per-say, especially if players enjoy the experience more that way, but it's definitively not the experience that the developers intended.
It is a very fun way to replay the game though.

This is exactly my point. I hate the "everything should have co-op" mentality that seems to plague the industry these days whether it's from the developers/publishers checking a box to try to entice further sales (much like the stupid "multiplayer" checkbox) or from the "community" who wants to play the game in a different way than the developers intended.

Don't get me wrong... mods can be cool. But I happen to think the Souls games were pretty much perfect as they were (technical issues aside) so the idea of going against one of their core design choices pisses me off.

JaseC

Hunt with the pros!

$29.99; pre-purchasing now gets you a copy of Dangerous Hunts 2013, which is, relatively speaking, a good deal. Releases March 25th/26th, depending on your time zone.

Mozendo

Just got done playing a game of CS:GO.
I regret buying it already, it seems like it's about to go F2P at some point, not only that but the community is just as terrible as a moba's.

My friends and I kept getting called the n word by one guy throughout the entire match because we're not experienced in competitive FPS games.

Tellaerin

$29.99; pre-purchasing now gets you a copy of Dangerous Hunts 2013, which is, relatively speaking, a good deal. Releases March 25th/26th, depending on your time zone.

I want a parody of the Cabela's games where you're hunting cartoonishly huge and aggressive wildlife with weapons straight out of UT or Quake.

Announcer: "And you're going to need that "big f***ing gun" to take down... the Big F***ing Bear.

*camera pulls back to reveal a 20 foot tall brown bear standing on its hind legs. It throws back its head and lets out a Godzilla roar~*

Sajjaja

I regret buying it already, it seems like it's about to go F2P at some point, not only that but the community is just as terrible as a moba's.

My friends and I kept getting called the n word by one guy throughout the entire match because we're not experienced in competitive FPS games.

That's pretty much all multiplayer games these days. That's why there are mute options now.

I want a parody of the Cabela's games where you're hunting cartoonishly huge and aggressive wildlife with weapons straight out of UT or Quake.

Announcer: "And you're going to need that "big f***ing gun" to take down... the Big F***ing Bear.

*camera pulls back to reveal a 20 foot tall brown bear standing on its hind legs. It throws back its head and lets out a Godzilla roar~*

Oh you mean Gears of War?

I think you're too quick to judge if you're associating an entire community with your experience on one individual. No matter what game, if you're going to be playing with real people and the game allows for some form of communication, you're going to run into jerks. This is just the nature of multiplayer games.

Best to just immediately mute them and carry on.

I think you're too quick to judge if you're associating an entire community with your experience on one individual. No matter what game, if you're going to be playing with real people and the game allows for some form of communication, you're going to run into jerks. This is just the nature of multiplayer games.

Best to just immediately mute them and carry on.

That shit is rampant in all multiplayer games, especially those with an "established" community. I love how I'm learning the ins and outs of the game and all the sudden I'm the enemy and being called out on all sorts of things...

Give me a few rounds and I'm usually in the middle of the pack or at the top... and yet still, I end up 1v1 with a pro and the rest of my team complains that I couldn't manage to beat him so I'm a noob and no good and whatever.

There are reasons I don't play a lot of multiplayer.
This is one of them.
Thank God for Mute All.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

CS:GO is never going to be free to play. As for the community results may vary.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just got a rejection letter from a job I was really hoping I'd get.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Divius

Oh CS:GO is cheap. Is it worth getting into?

I liked my occasional CS1.6 and CSS but the playerbase has become 'too hardcore' and I get rekt all the time (or maybe I just suck).

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Oh CS:GO is cheap. Is it worth getting into?

I liked my occasional CS1.6 and CSS but the playerbase has become 'too hardcore' and I get rekt all the time (or maybe I just suck).

It's the best option, imo. Matchmaking is a huge gamechanger for comp and casual mode is really fun for those who don't want to play ranked matches and go CAL.

It has had a fair share of issues but Valve has patched out a majority of the problems, fixed a lot of the weapon balance problems and turned it into the all-around best CS product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom