• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Alan Wake's shootybang mechanics were pretty meaty and great. The only thing I didn't like was the occasionally flakey dodge mechanic.

American Nightmare amped that shit up to 11 and it was even better.

Spent the morning trying the groupees bundles game. Short version is:

In summary I believe the good pickups are: Skyborn, Arson & Plunder (the bonus game), Guise of the Wolf (but wait for patches), Power Up (greenlight) and at a push, Legends of Aethereus (doubt anybody will ever play it, but it is good for a 5 second "wow this is pretty" look).

Alan Wake's shootybang mechanics were pretty meaty and great. The only thing I didn't like was the occasionally flakey dodge mechanic.

American Nightmare amped that shit up to 11 and it was even better.
Ahh I really need to get on American Nightmare. Did 100% playthroughs of Alan Wake on 360 and PC and the feel of the combat is what made me do it. So fun.

GaussTek

Looks like I have a lot of games on the Humble Bundle lol

When I try to load my list of games on the site, Firefox just freezes and then asks me that if I want to stop the loading of a "script", but no matter what I end up closing the browser from the task manager.

Google Chrome works a bit better, as it doesn't freeze completely, but still gets very slow and takes a while to load all the games.

Wondering if anyone else is having this issue? This started happening just a few days ago (I think) as I remember checking out the games there without problems.

Not a really big deal, as I have lots of those games on Steam, BUT not all of them.... :(

Looks like I have a lot of games on the Humble Bundle lol

When I try to load my list of games on the site, Firefox just freezes and then asks me that if I want to stop the loading of a "script", but no matter what I end up closing the browsing from the task manager.

Google Chrome works a bit better, as it doesn't freeze completely, but still gets very slow and takes a while to load all the games.

Wondering if anyone else is having this issue? This started happening just a few days ago (I think) as I remember checking out the games there without issues.

Not a really big deal, as I have lots of those games on Steam, BUT not all of them.... :(

Yep, I have exactly the same problem in Chrome. Clicking "My Library" makes the page just sit there for probably a minute before it finally loads the page, and it then takes quite a while for it to populate all the items. I wish they wouldn't default to listing every game when I just want to access the page for an individual bundle.

I didn't like Alan Wake at all, though it was mediocre-to-bad in every category. It had some charm, sure, but nothing seemed to be implemented well. The flashlight combat was a neat idea, thoough unfortunately the base game never figured out how to make it fun.

On the other hand, American Nightmare felt like an across-the-board improvement in how the game was designed and I found it a lot more fun. So I guess that's in the "it's OK" category, but still nothing great. If they had continued this trend of improvement into Alan Wake 2, it could be a game that I really enjoy.

The one takeaway from Alan Wake that I want other games to take heed of is the light-based combat; if it were integrated wholesale into Deadly Premonition that would be a great improvement to DP's weak combat systems.

GaussTek

Yep, I have exactly the same problem in Chrome. Clicking "My Library" makes the page just sit there for probably a minute before it finally loads the page, and it then takes quite a while for it to populate all the items. I wish they wouldn't default to listing every game when I just want to access the page for an individual bundle.

Yep, I just also wanted to check out the page from one of the bundles. But instead have to switch browsers, and then wait a while for all the games to load :/

Seems that I'll have to search my HB e-mails to just get the individual link of the bundle I want to browse :(

(glad I'm not the only one BTW, hopefully the Humble Bundle guys will fix this soon).

Tellaerin

Spent the morning trying the groupees bundles game. Short version is:

In summary I believe the good pickups are: Skyborn, Arson & Plunder (the bonus game), Guise of the Wolf (but wait for patches), Power Up (greenlight) and at a push, Legends of Aethereus (doubt anybody will ever play it, but it is good for a 5 second "wow this is pretty" look).

The premise of Whitewash looked neat (a machine civ clones a human (you) and puts him through his paces in an attempt to understand what made humanity tick, judging by the trailer), even if the actual game footage looked a bit janky. Is it at least playable, or am I destined for heartbreak here?

def sim

LOVED Alan Wake. Fantastic game all around. Played it on 360 but got it for PC. Can't wait to see how it looks.

I've only played it on the 360. Screen tearing and rendered under 720p, visually it was incredibly disappointing even at the time. It can only go up with the PC version!

Reckoner

I've only played it on the 360. Screen tearing and rendered under 720p, visually it was incredibly disappointing even at the time. It can only go up with the PC version!

Really? I thought it looked really good at that time. Played it on release and the night time/forest parts of the game are beautiful. If you're talking about daytime, then I kinda agree with you.

def sim

Really? I thought it looked really good at that time. Played it on release and the night time/forest parts of the game are beautiful. If you're talking about daytime, then I kinda agree with you.

When it was dark and harder to see details, sure, it masked the visual imperfections somewhat. I'll admit the lighting looked nice. The screen tearing was still a bummer, though. It didn't help that I picked up RDR along side it and I found that mightily impressive. Going to Mexico was something special.

fantomena

Just remembed how I joined the world of the master race.

In 2008 when Age of Conan released, a game I was super hyped for and still have good memories from I took my firststeps into the glorious world of the master race.

When I got AoC in the mail, installed etc. the game I found out that our family computer could not run he game, even on the lowest settings. So we chose to buy a cheap-more-updated gahpics card. Did not work either. Instead of buying all the PC components seperate me and my dad chose to simply buy a whole new PC. Which became my first gaming PC (Im on my 2 now).

Of coruse we did not buy the PC just for AoC, but also for other stuff other people in the house could use it for. Then I came over a demo for a game called Crysis on GamersHell. Loved the demo, played it to death, so a couple of months after I boght Crysis, my second ever PC gam and my favorite game of all time. Then I heard tons of talk about a game called Counter-Strike: Source which my friends talekd about. An online FPS. I found it on my local retailer shop here in Norrway called Spaceworld.

When I installed it I needed to downlaod something called. I was like "Uh, okay, but why?". I never needed to downlaod a software to play a game before, so it was a bit conflicty to me. But I still downloaded it and made an account. I had CS: S, The Wheelman and Breach on that account.

I had my account on public view so anybody could see my Steam account. After a couple of months my accout got hacked and I had to make a new Steam accout. Then my PC got tons of shitty viruses and trojans. It never survived, got infinite blue screens so I chose to let it go. The computer was outdated anyway, so not hat big deal.

Then I chose to build a new PC. A new and much stronger one, a PC that could survive. A PC so strongthat it still has not have had a blue screen and just 1 shitty Chrome toolbox virus (Snap.do).The one I have now.

And here I am with 1270 Steam games, 80 GOG games, about 60 Origin games etc. All just after 3 years.

Goddamn.

I also found out that the best antivirus I have had is not MSE or Malwarebytes, but common knowledge.

denx

Hey! Long time no see. Didn't post at all recently because of me going on vacation (with no internet connection whatsoever) and then getting a new job that is eating away most of my time.

But hey, I made some time for One Finger Death Punch. Is this already a candidate for one of the best indie games of the year? Game is WAY more fun than it has any right to be.

The premise of Whitewash looked neat (a machine civ clones a human (you) and puts him through his paces in an attempt to understand what made humanity tick, judging by the trailer), even if the actual game footage looked a bit janky. Is it at least playable, or am I destined for heartbreak here?

My take:

Whitewash

Whitewash is the token "what the hell is this game?" option in the bundle. The setup is similar to portal or the movie Cube, where you wake up in a strange room and have to solve tasks to move to the next chamber and eventually hopefully escape. While this is an interesting (if not particularly original) premise, the actual gameplay doesn't quite live up to that promise. In Whitewash you are tasked with moving objects, stacking crates and generally doing quite repetitive tasks that never really work well from a first person perspective. To compound the problem, you do everything with painfully slow movement throughout the levels.

Worse, for all the expected failings, the mechanics never seem to work well in this game either. For example the very first thing you need to do is escape from the starting chamber. While this seems easy enough, nothing you seem to do works for about 5 minutes...then it suddenly opens and you are left scratching your head.

whitewashnlo9c.png

While it isn't much fun to play, the graphics are at least reasonably well done. On the other hand the sound and voice acting is generally poor and seems completely out of place for the atmosphere the dev is trying to create.

A pass

The devs own take (probably more telling):

I though the first levels would be easy and quick for everyone to beat and move.
But I see some get bored and quit the game on first 5 to 6 levels. I may update these first levels and change them while the game is on voting process when submitted to Greenlight...
Also I will pay a musician for some better soundtrack.

So overall, maybe it'll be the best game ever at some stage, but I really doubt it.

FloatOn

Somehow I ended up at my parents house for the night. I'm about to turn 31. This shouldn't be as nostalgic as it is. I think I'm going to play ace attorney on my phone now.

Tellaerin

My take:

Whitewash

Whitewash is the token "what the hell is this game?" option in the bundle. The setup is similar to portal or the movie Cube, where you wake up in a strange room and have to solve tasks to move to the next chamber and eventually hopefully escape. While this is an interesting (if not particularly original) premise, the actual gameplay doesn't quite live up to that promise. In Whitewash you are tasked with moving objects, stacking crates and generally doing quite repetitive tasks that never really work well from a first person perspective.

Worse, for all the expected failings, the mechanics never seem to work well in this game either. For example the very first thing you need to do is escape from the starting chamber. While this seems easy enough, nothing you seem to do works for about 5 minutes...then it opens and you are left scratching your head.

While it isn't much fun to play, the graphics are at least reasonably well done. On the other hand the sound and voice acting is generally poor and seems completely out of place for the atmosphere the dev is trying to create.

A pass

The devs own take (probably more telling):

So overall, maybe it'll be the best game ever at some stage, but I really doubt it.

Yikes. : / I appreciate the impressions, man. Thanks for taking one for the team.

Tellaerin

That doesn't surprise me given how good some of them are. It's kinda jarring that stuff using the default tiles is on there though. I wouldn't want that stuff banned from the store or anything, its just surprising that that sort of content makes it through Greenlight.

I'm guessing some people just aren't familiar with RPG Maker games, so they don't automatically recognize the RTP default resources when they see 'em.

Is Quantum Conundrum really that bad? I'm playing a bit to get the Playfire free money and the most offensive thing about it is the writing or that it's not Portal but then again nothing is.

That's a positive in my book.
THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!

--

DId nobody take the Takedown: Red Sabre key from my giveaway? Someone go get it. It should not be in my inventory anymore. :p

Grief.exe

Just finished! Wow, what a ride at the end! I played the first half on PS2 when it was originally released, first time doing the back half.

The recent patch really alleviated many of the issues that were wrong with the port. A modder even figured out how to implement the proprietary effects from the GameCube version. Will have to try them out when I go for my Pro run.

Garcia

PC-SoulsGaf quick update:

By now I can confirm what plenty have been either mentioning or asuming: Dark Souls 2 was rushed for release. The things I've seen and experienced go way beyond immediate patching or polishing. This is a game that will need some heavy mods in order to look gorgeous. I think it's much better to place our hopes a little lower if we truly want to enjoy it for what it is.

On the bright side, it honestly is extremely fun to play. The Co-op works like a dream (I'm addicted to it) and I'm certain the Steam version will be even better. The most important benefits for the PC crowd will be:

• No loading times.
  • Top-notch multiplayer.
  • Uncompressed textures & audio.
  • Probably the old lighting.
I know that sounds rather conservative but, as I keep playing, my hopes for a superior PC version slowly fade away. Some areas literally look like they belong to a PS1 or PS2 game, you can tell which mobs were created during the early stages of development and which were rushed by their textures, poly counts or quality.

It feels like I'm playing the beta of what will later become the retail version of Dark Souls 2.

Grief.exe

PC-SoulsGaf quick update:

By now I can confirm what plenty have been either mentioning or assuming: Dark Souls 2 was rushed for release. The things I've seen and experienced go way beyond immediate patching or polishing.

Honestly that would further corroborate the last second cuts for optimization theory. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104368128&postcount=13964

Hopefully From is just taking the extra 6 weeks to finalize those features that got cut from the console version.

Grief.exe

So... Dark Souls 1 had a lot of really flat lighting and inconsistent textures. Is this one really worse or is it under the microscope due to the fudged lighting in the trailers and back of box screens?

Dark Souls 2 console release has very flat lighting, Dark Souls 2 PC trailer released last November had gorgeous lighting. Keep your fingers crossed.

idQf74JSP5NiF.jpg

What's the current GMG coupon? I tried using H799RH-7L8NPP-RCKKT8 with Star Trek, but it didn't work.

I was going to say, it didn't work for me earlier when I bought the DLC for Pac-Man DX CE...

--

Grief, it's good to hear a modder added the missing GC effects back into RE4. I'll be looking into those when I get around to a nother playthrough.

However, shame on you for only playing half the game on PS2. Had you really NOT finished it prior to now? Considering how excited you were for this, that seems unpossible.

Garcia

So... Dark Souls 1 had a lot of really flat lighting and inconsistent textures. Is this one really worse or is it under the microscope due to the fudged lighting in the trailers and back of box screens?

I played the first Dark Souls on PC as well (3/4 of it without the Durante fix) and yes, Dark Souls 2 is, as a whole package, the ugliest.

Souls 1 relied on art direction alone to mask the texturing of walls, roofs and floors. In DS2 the textures are literally all over the place. One area in particular
(Shaded Woods)
made me frown in disbelief just by how ugly it is.

Tecl0n

Dark Souls 2 console release has very flat lighting, Dark Souls 2 PC trailer released last November had gorgeous lighting. Keep your fingers crossed.

Weren't there quite a bunch of people that played the Beta/Demo, and one of their main concerns was the game being too dark?

Grief.exe

However, shame on you for only playing half the game on PS2. Had you really NOT finished it prior to now? Considering how excited you were for this, that seems impossible.

I just love getting classic games on PC that need to be here. I also really felt the urge to get back into the game the past year after reading all the positive LTTP threads. I was actually very close to tracking down a Wii copy to just play on Dolphin.

At the time, I believe I was actually sidetracked by continued Halo 2 play.

I hope that's what we're getting. I've been avoiding most of the controversy just to keep my sanity so I'm not up on exactly what's going down with the different versions.

I can sum it up very quickly if you like Boogy.

There are basically 3 different versions of Dark Souls 2 shown to the public.

• Console Retail
  • PC Trailer
  • Vertical Slice

The Vertical Slice is very similar to the PC Trailer in effects and frame rate, but differs wildly in terms of geometry and textures. It seems to me that this version was created just as a vertical slice to show the engine potential, the level design was then later used for the PC/console versions.

PC Trailer has the exact same geometry and textures as the console version, but increased frame rate and texture/rendering resolution. It also has many of the effects present from the Vertical Slice such as the full lighting system and the complete darkness mechanic.

In DS2 the textures are literally all over the place. One area in particular
(Shaded Woods)
made me frown in disbelief just by how ugly it is.

Also partially corroborates the last-minute optimization theory. The lighting system and the darkness were supposed to partially mask the bad textures.
Everything was getting finalized for the PC/next-gen version, but the consoles were getting left behind. Rapid changes had to be made.

Weren't there quite a bunch of people that played the Beta/Demo, and one of their main concerns was the game being too dark?

You are correct, they adjusted the brightness slightly. The network test and retail build were essentially the same, other than some brightness changes

imN72a7hYHbVp.gif
ixvoQx9xSvzFN.gif

(gif on the right reflects the retail version, left network test)

EDIT: Gifs not loding for me, minus is struggling to load the gifs right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom