• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sorry, Jshacks.
Let me buy you a beer, or a bundle. :)

Eh, I'll be okay. I'm still optimistic that something good will come my way soon.

You were probably too good for them. Keep it up shackles, don't give up because you deserve this! You got my full motivational support.

Thanks Monk! I'm definitely not giving up.

Uraizen

Banned
This is exactly my point. I hate the "everything should have co-op" mentality that seems to plague the industry these days whether it's from the developers/publishers checking a box to try to entice further sales (much like the stupid "multiplayer" checkbox) or from the "community" who wants to play the game in a different way than the developers intended.

Don't get me wrong... mods can be cool. But I happen to think the Souls games were pretty much perfect as they were (technical issues aside) so the idea of going against one of their core design choices pisses me off.

I'll play how I want, frosty-dawg. If I want to play a rush down guile, I will, and if I want to play a souls game with filtered co-op, then I will! Neither are being played how they were intended, but I'm enjoying it either way.

Oreoleo

Oh CS:GO is cheap. Is it worth getting into?

I liked my occasional CS1.6 and CSS but the playerbase has become 'too hardcore' and I get rekt all the time (or maybe I just suck).

I would say yes. I always liked the idea of CS more than actually playing it in 1.6 and especially Source for the very same reason as you but after picking up GO at Christmas I can barely put it down. Matchmaking finally balances competitive in a way that makes sense and you can actually win games occasionally at the very least.

Not to mention that unlike TF2 crates are worth a damn and can actually be sold on the market to break even on your purchase. I've probably made around $15-20 off selling drops just in the past few short months.

DocSeuss

Huh. Origins is way better than I was led to believe. I'm actually having quite a bit of fun with it, aside from one iffy bug one time. Feels like one of the islands is the Arkham City island, though. Seeing lots of familiar landmarks, but not quite in the shape I remember them being in. Just reused assets, or is it the same island prior to the Citying?

Just got a rejection letter from a job I was really hoping I'd get.

Feelsbadman.jpg

It wasn't Valve, was it? D:

Oh CS:GO is cheap. Is it worth getting into?

I liked my occasional CS1.6 and CSS but the playerbase has become 'too hardcore' and I get rekt all the time (or maybe I just suck).

Yes, GS:GO is the shit. Anyone who says that 1.6 is better (at this point) is talking out of their ass.

And like Oreo I made some decent money off the in-game drops. They completely funded my Steam Winter Sale purchases.

Nzyme32

Just got a rejection letter from a job I was really hoping I'd get.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Sorry dude :(

I know this pretty meaningless, but I'm in the same boat, it's shit but you've gotta keep the optimism going. The most awesome opportunities may just come when you least expect them

mannerbot

I would say yes. I always liked the idea of CS more than actually playing it in 1.6 and especially Source for the very same reason as you but after picking up GO at Christmas I can barely put it down. Matchmaking finally balances competitive in a way that makes sense and you can actually win games occasionally at the very least.

Not to mention that unlike TF2 crates are worth a damn and can actually be sold on the market to break even on your purchase. I've probably made around $15-20 off selling drops just in the past few short months.

Probably won't be playing it much in the near future but I'd like to add it to my library. Is it hard at all to get crate drops? Are there servers for idling for crates etc.?

Divius

Thanks for the replies guys

XZ44mfb.png

Feel free to add me if anyone wants to play sometime.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yes, GS:GO is the shit. Anyone who says that 1.6 is better (at this point) is talking out of their ass.

And like Oreo I made some decent money off the in-game drops. They completely funded my Steam Winter Sale purchases.

GO will be inferior to 1.6 until such a time that I can awp people through 10 meters of concrete. ;)

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Just got done playing a game of CS:GO.
I regret buying it already, it seems like it's about to go F2P at some point, not only that but the community is just as terrible as a moba's.

My friends and I kept getting called the n word by one guy throughout the entire match because we're not experienced in competitive FPS games.

The name calling is definately uncalled for. But CS is a team sport, like mobas, if you're unqualified you're directly impacting the performance of your team mates. You really should be mindful of the unfair burden you're forcing on others; especially in a game like CS:GO which has various modes and noob friendly servers that would both cater to your skill level and allow others to also enjoy the game alongside you. Look at this another way, many people who want to climb Everest spend years learning how to climb and months acclimating to the climate they're going to face. But if someone who lived near sea level and never even hiked a small hill, flew to Nepal to join the ascent. The prepared group would be right to feel scorn toward the novice, especially when the group was dragged down by the newcomer.

You need to stick to Noob servers, servers with large (26 plus) slots, or play one of the other independent modes like gun game or pure deathmatch until your become more skillful. I've played a lot of CS over the various iterations and I was pretty good at it. But its been so long that my skills have atrophied, so when I pick it up again I'll have to start from the beginning too.

The name calling is definately uncalled for. But CS is a team sport, like mobas, if you're unqualified you're directly impacting the performance of your team mates. You really should be mindful of the unfair burden you're forcing on others; especially in a game like CS:GO which has various modes and noob friendly servers that would both cater to your skill level and allow others to also enjoy the game alongside you. Look at this another way, many people who want to climb Everest spend years learning how to climb and months acclimating to the climate they're going to face. But if someone who lived near sea level and never even hiked a small hill, flew to Nepal to join the assent. The prepared group would be right to feel scorn toward the novice, especially when the group was dragged down by the newcomer.

You need to stick to Noob servers, servers with large (26 plus) slots, or play one of the other independent modes like gun game or pure deathmatch until your become more skillful. I've played a lot of CS over the various iterations and I was pretty good at it. But its been so long that my skills have atrophied, so when I pick it up again I'll have to start from the beginning too.
I don't thing the comparison is apt, it's not like someone's starting up and then being asked to be the ringer for a team at the grand finals in Katowice. With matchmaking, you group with friends or you go in accepting that your teammate may not be up to par (you might even end up being that person). It's better to take it with stride and give advice to try and help the newcomer instead of hemorrhaging expletives the moment someone doesn't perform to your expectations and somehow expecting that to make anything better. There's probably a reason that person ends up getting matched with someone new to the game in the first place.

There's no escaping people like that in the multiplayer space, but the fault rests on them for lashing out rather than the person simply wanting to play regardless of skill level.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Summon signs literally say the person's name. It is easy as hell to co-op the game with a friend. There is nothing wrong with it either.
How dare they tarnish the game with such a totally optional thing that allows you to make the game a bit easier and have fun with a friend? That's not hardcore, you fool!

DocSeuss

Huh , Batman : Arkham Knight already has it own store page 7 months before release .

I added it to my wishlist, and it calls itself "Zeppelin" on there.

EDIT:

Is it worth double dipping on Alan Wake if I have it on the 360? Does it look a lot better when it has maxed out settings?

Toddhunter's reply aside, let me just say that one of the best third person shooters ever deserves your love. Also, it comes with the DLC and has free random behind the scenes stuff that's useful.

Is it worth double dipping on Alan Wake if I have it on the 360? Does it look a lot better when it has maxed out settings?

I've carefully weighed up my knowledge of how much you enjoyed the game on the 360, how much disposable income you have right now and how to gauge that against your personal definition of what qualifies as "a lot better".

To be honest, it is still pretty hard to make the call for you. I'll go with yes and yes.

JaseC

Definitely, although some texture work leaves little to be desired. Alan Wake X360 sports an internal rendering resolution that is best described as "SD+".

Heck yeah. I think it's cheap on GMG right now, so it's definitely worth it. Maxed out with no hud is the way to play.

Hence why I asked ;).

Sadly I have a funural to pay for, so I cancelled my Infamous pre-order and have decided to pick up a few cheap PC games. I may pick up Darksiders 2 and Enslaved too, since I haven't played either of those. Thanks for the input guys!

Is Quantum Conundrum really that bad? I'm playing a bit to get the Playfire free money and the most offensive thing about it is the writing or that it's not Portal but then again nothing is.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Is Quantum Conundrum really that bad? I'm playing a bit to get the Playfire free money and the most offensive thing about it is the writing or that it's not Portal but then again nothing is.

Nay, it's not bad, it just doesn't feel all that special in any way because Portal exists (in terms of being a first person puzzle game) and it perhaps goes on longer than it should with certain sections.

My main problem with it was never the writing, which I was generally amused by the entire time through, but rather the fact that some puzzles were lacking intuitive design for the stages. One stage involved launching yourself up high to throw weighted boxes into cylinders like basketballs, but it wasn't apparent that's what it wanted you to do from my experience and the game has a bit of a problem where you could be doing the right thing, just not in the exact right way (I had issues judging how far things would be thrown in an arc at points).
Majority of the puzzles also never really taxed me mentally, so I did spend quite a bit of time in the first half feeling as though I was just doing the puzzles to get to the next area rather than solving puzzles because I enjoy solving puzzles.

I still enjoyed the game when I got it free on PS+ and while it wasn't great, it wasn't bad honestly and I enjoyed my time enough with it and felt it was worth it once all the dimensions (altering the stage, items) starting coming into play at the same time for some more complex motions. It's just one I think could have been better with some more time spent on it, with more outside eyes giving options to help out stage design.

JaseC

I hope F-STOP becomes a thing one day. I'd assumed that Wolpaw and co. were being coy about the core mechanic because the game was not-so-secretly in development but last year's JIRA leaks showed that the F-STOP group had zero members, so it is -- or at least was -- on ice.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I hope F-STOP becomes a thing one day. I'd assumed that Wolpaw and co. were being coy about the core mechanic because the game was not-so-secretly in development but last year's JIRA leaks showed that the F-STOP group had zero members, so it is -- or at least was -- on ice.

The F-STOP prototype was iterated into Portal.

zkylon

zkylewd
I tend to lean towards the optimistic in my speculation, but, honestly, a PC version with all of these graphical features game would explain all these discrepancies.

• Delaying the PC release 6 weeks as From finalized the graphical features that didn't make the console version.
  • Not showing any footage or information on the PC version during that time period.
  • The immediate downgrade in visuals between trade shows in January and console footage in February.
  • 60 FPS/1080p trailers/demos with all of the effects in place.
  • Sconces placed throughout the entire game for the, now useless, torch.

Both the final console build and the PC TGS trailer have the exact same geometry and textures. What likely happened is From designed their game engine for PC/next-gen, then had to rip out many of these features last second for performance reasons. From needs some more time to finalize all of these features for the PC version that is releasing at the end of April.

This trailer is from mid-November though. Subsequent demos all the way up through January showed the same effects, footage, and areas.
do you know if alien colonials marine stick with their good-looking game footage 'til the end?

One stage involved launching yourself up high to throw weighted boxes into cylinders like basketballs, but it wasn't apparent that's what it wanted you to do from my experience and the game has a bit of a problem where you could be doing the right thing, just not in the exact right way (I had issues judging how far things would be thrown in an arc at points).

I think I'm on that puzzle. I have it figured out but the physics for throwing the ball into the third cylinder are throwing me for a loop because I've tried at least 10 times so far and it's not going in.

JaseC

Do we have new news about the fate of Dark Souls and GTA4 when gfwl will be gone? I haven't been following the issue lately...

Scamco recently added the community stats flag to Dark Souls' app listing, which is practically useless without Steamworks integration, but the app itself still lacks a secondary build branch so whatever Scamco is planning has yet to be put in motion, I assume due to Ace Combat's imminent Steamworks patch. As for GTA4:

Well, the GTA4 store page was supposedly recently updated with the following:

Access to special features may require internet connection, may not be available to all users, and may, upon 30 days’ notice, be terminated, modified, or offered under different terms.

I can't confirm this, though, since Steam's age gate trips up Archive.org's crawler, so it's impossible to see an older state of the page.

Tomodachi

Scamco recently added the community stats flag to Dark Souls' app listing, which is practically useless without Steamworks integration, but the app itself still lacks a secondary build branch so whatever Scamco is planning has yet to be put in motion, I assume due to Ace Combat's imminent Steamworks patch. As for GTA4:

Thanks a lot Saiorse Jase. Fingers crossed.

JaseC

The F-STOP prototype was iterated into Portal.

Not exactly. F-STOP was Portal 2 but it was canned when the decision was made to make a Portal sequel with, well, portals -- when development began on what we know as Portal 2, the project was completely rebooted, although I presume (mid-game Portal 2 spoiler)
some of the yesteryear ApSci stuff was reused
. People have quizzed Erik and Chet on what exactly the driving mechanic was but their answer has always been the same: "We don't want to talk about it because we'll probably use it in a future game."

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I think I'm on that puzzle. I have it figured out but the physics for throwing the ball into the third cylinder are throwing me for a loop because I've tried at least 10 times so far and it's not going in.

That's an earlier one, but aye, same problem. Though it raises one of the other problems I had with the game, I can't really help in giving a recommendation on how to get it in since it's such a reflex and reactions based problem rather than a mental one.

Honestly I'm not even sure if I got that one down myself because after a while I was just throwing at random. Luckily such stage puzzle sections aren't common, but all the ame, good luck on getting it in.

Picked up CS:GO, having not played any CS since Source maybe 4 years ago, and even then just a few matches until I decided it wasn't for me.

Surprisingly, I managed to be 3rd on my team in quite a few rounds. No fancy case drops yet, but I'll go back to this game for sure.

Toddhunter's reply aside, let me just say that one of the best third person shooters ever deserves your love. Also, it comes with the DLC and has free random behind the scenes stuff that's useful.

Alan Wake is a lot of good things. Combat is not one of them. I'm not sure how you can consider if 'one of the best third person shooters ever' when it's barely a shooter at all.

Salsa

loved alan wake combat too, for real

something about the light mechanics and the flashlight/shooting feedback made it really fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom