• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

I just played a bit of Arkham Origins and I dont quite understand the mediocre reviews. Mind you, I was playing Arkham City before and it is essentially the "same" game with the same pros and cons that Arkham City has, so I wonder why the reviews are so mediocre.

Reviewers care more about the logo on the front of the case.

Turfster

Sub 10 hours then.

What he said.

I just played a bit of Arkham Origins and I dont quite understand the mediocre reviews. Mind you, I was playing Arkham City before and it is essentially the "same" game with the same pros and cons that Arkham City has, so I wonder why the reviews are so mediocre.
People at least like to see some kind of evolution in games.
Give people almost exactly the same game again and they'll kick you for it.

Arthea

Hey SteamGaf.
Since I've won quite a handfull of give away games recently, I've decided to burn some karma and give back a little. Bought this game especially to give it away, hope the winner will have fun with it.

belated thanks for nom nom
it does look like it could be fun

Arthea

guys, you might not know it, but if you delete from your PS3 all games you rebought on steam, your hard is almost empty! no more problems with space!
(><)
feels good, I wonder why I haven't done it before

edited: I accidentally deleted Okami HD too, now it has to come to steam.

Every time a launch Marvel Heroes, steam is reinstalling visual C. Is there some issue I'm not aware of?

Some Steam games always try to install the game's prerequisite files, e.g. VCredist, PhysX or what have you. I think it's only supposed to happen the first time you start the game, but some games always try to do it. This is because of installscript.vdf (located in the game's folder) and if you remove, delete, or rename the file (in the problem game's folder) you can bypass the problem. Only do this if you have already installed the prereq files, otherwise the game won't work correctly. If you need that file back after deleting it, verify the game's cache and it will return.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's new policy of gmg, I don't think we even get universal discount codes anymore.
Someone will correct me if that's wrong and I somehow miss those.

Yeah, GMG added the minimum price condition to discount codes around the time the achievement rewards system went live, IIRC.

Deques

That's new policy of gmg, I don't think we even get universal discount codes anymore.
Someone will correct me if that's wrong and I somehow miss those.

GameFly is my new favorite store. Their coupon still works for everything.
Just bought Deus Ex: The Fall from them

Nzyme32

My anti-virus removes the file claiming it contains trojans. Is it a false positive?

huh, i've used it a few months back after I saw posts here and on reddit about it. Had no problems, scanned it with ms security essentials and malwarebytes without issue. I would ask others to confirm before going any further.

Echoplx

Until they get hacked again?

They weren't hacked, according to a rep on reddit

Hey Guys,
This is our response regarding this issue:
Contrary to someone’s assertion that our site was hacked, we have reviewed our systems thoroughly and have not found any evidence that they have been compromised. From time to time, we identify or customers do alert us to suspicious transactions. In these cases, we initiate a thorough purchase review that ensures any account usage is authorized. If any of our customers becomes aware of a suspicious transaction, please notify us immediately at support@gamefly.

http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDealsMeta/comments/20auif/psa_gameflys_site_was_hacked_yesterday/cg1x22u

Garcia

Probably a Indie Spring sale. Should start during this month. This was the banner in 2013:

steam-indie-spring-sale.jpg

:D ! Nice.

guys, you might not know it, but if you delete from your PS3 all games you rebought on steam, your hard is almost empty! no more problems with space!
(><)
feels good, I wonder why I haven't done it before

edited: I accidentally deleted Okami HD too, now it has to come to steam.

Not a bad move -- I still have a lot of double content (RE5 Gold, since the DLC never came to PC, Just Cause 2 because it's where I started my playthrough, etc.)

I also have Okami HD and should probably just delete it like you. I won't ever play it while I have to suffer all the gibberish speak --- I can't endure another 40 hours of that or another 40 hours of a game without sound effects entirely... so... at least if it came to PC and Capcom didn't offer that option, I'm sure a modder would provide it.

And I tried to add you on Steam (quick attempt) but couldn't find you on Uraizen's FL... so if you want to add me, use the link under my name in my profile right over there.
<----

JaseC

I was finally able to get at least 1 copy of Nascar, hopefully it shoots up to 1000 keys and I get Steam rich.

It's still available on Amazon DD and the like but this will likely change over the next week or so assuming it was pulled due to licensing issues. Retail copies do register on Steam, however the PC flavour had a very limited run so only a handful of "grey market" resellers are offering the game and fewer still at a decent price.

How long is Brutal Legend?
It took me 8 hours to complete, and you should be able to do it much faster if you collect some of the guitar solos.

After I finished the tutorial, I took a break from the game and forgot they existed so I only had the bare minimum of guitar solos, it really made my life hell, especially in the final battle which ended up taking me 1hr40m to complete.

Hope you have fun with BL!

Lunaniem

It's still available on Amazon DD and the like but this will likely change over the next week or so assuming it was pulled due to licensing issues. Retail copies do register on Steam, however the PC flavour had a very limited run so only a handful of "grey market" resellers are offering the game and fewer still at a decent price.

I'll be happy if I just get a few keys out of this. :)

I imagine this will happen next year to Nascar '14 as well but might not sell as much afterwards given people will expect it to go off the store.

Locust

Amazon has NBA 2K14 back in stock again. It's ~$5 with the coupon you got when purchasing 2K games in September last year.

Thank you for your purchase of a 2K game from Amazon.com. Your purchase entitles you to a $5 promotional credit towards the pre-order of NBA 2K14. To redeem your credit visit: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D93B5VI/?tag=neogaf0e-20 click "Pre-order PC Download" and your credit will be automatically applied. Credit must be used by 9/24/2014.

JaseC

WTF. I just booted up Steam and it's stuck in Family View and I don't have a pin. I didn't even know Steam had a family view option!

I don't think it's possible to bypass Family View without the pin as it's an account setting, not a library setting. You'll probably have to submit a support ticket.

JaseC

I'll be happy if I just get a few keys out of this. :)

I imagine this will happen next year to Nascar '14 as well but might not sell as much afterwards given people will expect it to go off the store.

You'll definitely be able to sell the game for a profit; now, even, if you'd be happy with a small one.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space -- MB-57C5791024CE6354 - Taken by gnomed. 4 entrants total.

t1394900048z1.png

Darklord

Banned
My steam is totally broken now. When it went down the other day I was playing, it kicked me out and now when I try to go back in it says:

Error Code: -118
Unable to connect to server. Server may be offline or you may not be connected to the internet.

on the store. Anyone know how to fix that?

DasFool

jC84Z1DUIKd3c.PNG

Finally did it, after several occurrences of finger slips turning into a throwing knife in a guy's chest, I finally fucking did it. I cannot believe how absolute bullshit these two achievements are. If you mess up and do kill somebody, you must restart the ENTIRE game. No checkpoint or level restart, it's back to the beginning with you. In Ranger Hardcore, you take much more damage but so do your enemies, making even one shot of a pistol a costly mistake. Also, all of your ammo drops are significantly less than normal, making the mutant traversal levels much, much harder.

There are also plenty of occasions where you just don't know if you killed someone including:
- Enemies throwing grenades at you and killing their comrades
- You running over someone (who you previously knocked out) with a railcar
- Enemies just walking into fire
- In the last level,
the horde of Reds trying to storm D6 may or may not count as kills.

Had to get that off my chest, because these two frustrated me to no end. Love the game but playing like this turns it into an absolute nightmare. Probably won't play again until the DLCs get discounted again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom