• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This month I build my very first PC and this is my setup:

How many years can I expect to get out of it? At maximum but also to run games decently? I hope it can last 5 years until I have to change the video card, even if I have to play new games on High and some on Medium.

Your GPU won't last you five years, but it won't be long (relatively speaking) before you'll be able to pick up a used one on the cheap and get ~twice the rendering horsepower. The CPU and RAM will last you yonks; both next-gen consoles only offer six cores/threads and 5GB RAM (split between GPU and system) to devs and the Jaguar's per-core performance pales in comparison to modern Intel CPUs.

Ashes

Banned
This month I build my very first PC and this is my setup:

How many years can I expect to get out of it? At maximum but also to run games decently? I hope it can last 5 years until I have to change the video card, even if I have to play new games on High and some on Medium.

It's actually harder to say than I would had thought. Next gen jump whilst utilising mid-level gpu/lower tier cpu, it seems to b pushing well above its own weight. Especially where devs are delivering unoptimised ports.

The_Monk

Just wanted to give a quick thanks to all the kind people who gave me such warm welcome when I started on this fine thread many years ago and thank you all for wishing me a happy birthday. I will be there for you when you need me and you all know that. Always count me in if you ever need something I can help you with. :')

----

On a side note, I guess I'm going to use Typing of the Dead to improve my typing skills. I'm not sure if I can also improve my English (I have the DLC) but it doesn't hurt to try!

Your GPU won't last you five years, but it won't be long (relatively speaking) before you'll be able to pick up a used one on the cheap and get ~twice the rendering horsepower. The CPU and RAM will last you yonks; both next-gen consoles only offer six cores/threads and 5GB RAM (split between GPU and system) to devs and the Jaguar's per-core performance pales in comparison to modern Intel CPUs.

He will be able to play games on medium in 5 years with it, I'm sure. Hopefully, the crypto miners don't beat him to the bargain bin. ;)

That EVO is a beauty. I picked one up on a decent deal after my HDD crashed and have been using it as my sole drive. That thing flies. Make sure you install the Samsung Magician it comes with!

BruteUA

Man, the AWP users still ruin most CSGO games. I feel like the rounds are fun until they start buying the AWP. donotwant

Man....... I don't want to get into my real-life background, but seeing someone run around inside a building in a hostage rescue situation with a sniper rifle taking snapshots from ten feet away is annoyingly hilarious. I mean, I know it's just a game, but come on.

JaseC

papermonsters7zaio.jpg

Now I just need to buy 21 more games.

JaseC

I was such an "awp whore" when I moved from dial-up to ADSL. It was immensely satisfying no longer having to account for latency -- quick-scoping actually worked!

gabbo

Just wanted to give a quick thanks to all the kind people who gave me such warm welcome when I started on this fine thread many years ago and thank you all for wishing me a happy birthday. I will be there for you when you need me and you all know that. Always count me in if you ever need something I can help you with. :')

----

On a side note, I guess I'm going to use Typing of the Dead to improve my typing skills. I'm not sure if I can also improve my English (I have the DLC) but it doesn't hurt to try!

Happy birthday Monk.
Let me know how TotD goes in that task. I wouldn't mind a bit of improvement in the same area, and killing zombies doing it may help a bit

JaseC

What do you actually do with them all? Last week was Pat and Mat, now its farming and Ducatis

They sit there until the games in question have been pulled from the store, at which point they turn from dust to gold. Paper Monsters I'm not saving for that purpose, though -- it's going to be my 2500th game.

Pachimari

He will be able to play games on medium in 5 years with it, I'm sure. Hopefully, the crypto miners don't beat him to the bargain bin. ;)

That EVO is a beauty. I picked one up on a decent deal after my HDD crashed and have been using it as my sole drive. That thing flies. Make sure you install the Samsung Magician it comes with!
What does Samsung Magician do?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The crowd is going crazy. Virtus has to win. No one wants NiP at this point lol.

That was incredible. I have to buy a Virtus sticker out of respect.

Damn, I missed the grand final? Have never watched eSports before, but picked up CS:GO on Friday night and spent a couple of hours yesterday watching the live tournament streams. Godlike skills!

Does anyone have any tips for sniping items on the Steam Marketplace? Mostly cards etc - I refresh the page until I see one go up at a good price, but by the time I click Buy Now and then check the box on the stupid pop-up and click Buy, the item's gone :(

Is there any way to skip that confirmation step?

Turfster

Does anyone have any tips for sniping items on the Steam Marketplace? Mostly cards etc - I refresh the page until I see one go up at a good price, but by the time I click Buy Now and then check the box on the stupid pop-up and click Buy, the item's gone :(

Is there any way to skip that confirmation step?

Nothing legal.

Backlogger

Green Man Gaming has a new St Patricks Day voucher for 22% off your order. Still has a $10 minimum like the current 20% off voucher. Ex: Brings Dark Souls down to $7.80. Wish it worked on any amount, was hoping to get Star Trek for less than $3.

Voucher: AW3PEM-PTOQ6J-Z77C67

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Green Man Gaming has a new St Patricks Day voucher for 22% off your order. Still has a $10 minimum like the current 20% off voucher. Ex: Brings Dark Souls down to $7.80. Wish it worked on any amount, was hoping to get Star Trek for less than $3.

Voucher: AW3PEM-PTOQ6J-Z77C67

None of their vouchers work for me. It's beyond me why they like to over-complicate things like this. Couldn't they just have simple vouchers that actually work like Gamefly?

None of their vouchers work for me. It's beyond me why they like to over-complicate things like this. Couldn't they just have simple vouchers that actually work like Gamefly?

I was under the impression that GMG had mostly switched to personal codes that they e-mailed out to people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom