• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread was posted earlier with some overview info.

Dark Souls 2 has some very modest requirements listed on its store page. I can't imagine having any issues running it.

but wat if i wanna triple monitor that shit breh

ingame_3x1.jpg

naw'mean cuz

Shade

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dust An Elysian Tail-- MB-24E65815FCFB2A7D - Taken by Coldsun. 6 entrants total.
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-4F35145CE3DE0D39 - Taken by nightstorm. 4 entrants total.
Antichamber -- MB-2C4254599819FF94 - Taken by Fool (I dream of Zack Snyder). 9 entrants total.
Monaco -- MB-4B4632D67FB95402 - Taken by Sarcasm. 6 entrants total.

t1394948064z1.png
Enjoy!

Anteater

Kind of want to play watchdogs, strangely I never quite get the hype when it was revealed and kind of ignored it along with that star war game that got cancelled. It looks like something I wouldn't mind playing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
April 18th here.

Ah, so it could be worse. ;)

Hey PC bros. What's the deal with Steam machines? They coming out soon? How much are they? Will it play Dark Souls 2?

GameSpot, among others, did a roundup article on the Steam Machines that were being demoed at CES. There's no getting around the fact that manufacturers need the hardware to be profitable from the off so building your own system is always going to be the bang-for-buck approach.

Stroooooongly disagree. No other single part is going to produce as much of a quality-of-life improvement as booting off an SSD. I wouldn't recommend anybody at anything but complete barrel-scraping bottom-tier budget skip the SSD.

At least get a small one to hold the OS. That's what I did.
I have a 120gb drive to hold just the OS filesystem -- then I bought a 3TB drive to hold my Steam installs.

This thread was posted earlier with some overview info.

Dark Souls 2 has some very modest requirements listed on its store page. I can't imagine having any issues running it.

How could you. Look at those textures/graphics/lighting.
If you're running PC versions of x360/PS3 games and they're running well, I shouldn't think you'd have any trouble with Dark Souls 2 unless it's a radically different product from the console release.

Tizoc

When did Vanguard Princess get cards?

Well, it's already Sunday in here which means I'm now one year older my good GAFfers, yay.

HHAHAHA, getting older is no fun...

Happy b-day man, and yeah I agree, every year I wanna get younger =/

I've never been able to get into the MOBA genre, myself. Am I really missing anything?

Don't think so, but best way to actually play moba is to have people you know play with you and if possible communicate with you.

JaseC

Aha I wish. Valve's offices are locked up pretty tight. They basically shut you out with a locked door as soon as you step outside the elevator to their floor

In my mind's eye entering Valve is similar to the Get Smart intro.

Tizoc

Am I the only one who can't be arsed to continue his Thief 2014 playthrough? I'm at Chapter 3, but I am not in the mood to continue playing any time soon at least =P

Can't access playfire at work but could someone check and let me know how many days left on The Swapper rewards?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
In my mind's eye the entering Valve is similar to the Get Smart intro.

That's actually pretty accurate, especially if you're trying to get to any of the floors of their building besides the main lobby.

One of the only times I've seen HID access panels in an elevator.

EDIT: MacGameStore has Rocksmith 2014 (Activates on Steam) for $14.98, which is it's lowest price yet.

oipic

Can't access playfire at work but could someone check and let me know how many days left on The Swapper rewards?

~2 days, 19 hours or so for these:

The Swapper - play for the first time - £0.10
The Swapper - unlock I - £0.10
The Swapper - unlock V - £0.10
The Swapper - unlock X - £0.10

£0.40!

Tizoc

~2 days, 19 hours or so for these:

The Swapper - play for the first time - £0.10
The Swapper - unlock I - £0.10
The Swapper - unlock V - £0.10
The Swapper - unlock X - £0.10

£0.40!

Well I get them as $, so that'd be $0.40 I could trim off a pre-order or game I want in coming weeks!

Apparently these are cheevos for hidden rooms, I'll backtrack and go reach them after checking a guide, thanks.

Plans for today:
Gym>Post Yaiba OT>Swapper>LoL til bed

I'm holding out on starting Constant C since I'm thinking Playfire will have rewards for it come Monday at the earliest

Thezez

Banned
For someone...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Red Faction -- MB-78A104A7E92792B2 - Taken by NingenJanai. 10 entrants total.

t1394947525z1.png

MUnited83

For you.
Anyone else having issues changing Custom avatars? I'm trying to upload a new one but it gives an error every time. I have a friend with the same problem.

I've never been able to get into the MOBA genre, myself. Am I really missing anything?
I got an invite to the Dota beta ages ago, loaded it up, went to view a game and thought "What the fuck is this?". I had no idea what was going on, so I closed it and moved on. I was an idiot to dismiss it so easily though.

Eventually, my friends got into the beta and asked me to play with them. I did. I found it to be ok, but that changed as we played more. As I became more aware of the different heroes and mechanics it suddenly hooked its claws into me. I began watching pro games, even paying for tournament tickets (something that I scoffed at before. Why would I want to watch someone else play?).

At this stage, I have close to 1500 hours playtime. It's my favourite game. I guess my point is that it's hard to understand the appeal until you actually give it a fair shot. So yes, in my opinion you are missing out.

On a different note, I had a ridiculous comeback in Frozen Endzone last night. I was down 16-4 with 2 turns left. I managed to set up blocks around two scoring zones, I ran through them and into the endzone, making it 16-15 with one turn to go. I got the ball back, ran for the nearest scoring zone, made it but got tackled on top of it. I didn't know whether I would get the points or not. The final score popped up, 17-16. Epic game, the other guy must have been pissed to throw such a lead.

I didn't really get into Frozen Synapse, but I'm loving Frozen Endzone.

JaseC

Reinstalled dark souls and wondering if I can now play it without GFWL.

Xliveless may work with it but the game hasn't had Steamworks implemented. Ace Combat's Steamworks patch has yet to move out of beta and I wouldn't expect Scamco to move to Dark Souls until work on that has finished.

Tellaerin

So I finally got Secret of the Magic Crystals to run. >.> I got it as a gag gift from another GAFfer over the holidays, but could never get it to run because of an issue I had that made every Unity game I tried crash to desktop. (After a lot of Googling, it turns out to be a really obscure issue, and the fix was deleting a specific font. o_O) Decided to try it again and satisfy my morbid curiosity, and sure enough, it no longer crashes on me.

Now that I'm playing this thing, I'm really wondering who it was intended for. I mean, I start out with a farm and one foal. The foal looks like an ordinary horse. I groom it (you have to use different brushes on the hooves, body and head and make rubbing motions with the mouse), and it matures into a full-grown unicorn in a cloud of sparkles. "Oh hey, a unicorn. That's pretty cool," I think

I poke around a little more, and I see that there are different things you can do with your horse. (My unicorn is named "Clarisse" - the game selects the names - and now I have the disturbing mental image of Hannibal Lecter running this ranch) There are training minigames that improve various stats, but they all play the same - you have to tap the arrow keys at the right time to make the horse jump over obstacles, pull a sledge, dance, etc. The timing's very forgiving. You can also forge magical horseshoes and craft potions that boost your horse's attributes (which involves picking items to combine and tapping the arrow keys again), and send them off to compete in races or "quests" to earn money and items. The races and quests don't seem to be interactive - you just send them off and read the results of the activity when they return. (Shades of Final Fantasy Tactics - "I had a good feeling!")

So at this point I'm thinking, "Okay, this is a cute game for the wee ones who like horses." I mess around a bit more, and I see that there's now an option to breed Clarisse. I need another horse to breed her with first, though, which apparently requires me to upgrade my well and pony up (cough) the cash for another foal. So I pimp out my unicorn to the nearby villagers to raise the required funds, driving her to the point of illness. Buying medicine to get her healed cuts into my profits a bit, but I eventually manage to get things sorted and pick out a new foal from the shop. All the choices are 300 gold?! Damn, man.

I read the descriptions of each foal. One of them's supposed to be some kind of rare breed, the secret of which has been lost to time. "Ah, cool, must be another unicorn," I think, and hit up the merchant on the spot. I see this foal's named "Anice". No horn, but Clarisse didn't have one when I got her, either. So I start getting Anice cleaned up, so that he (?) will hit horse puberty ASAP and I can marry him off to Clarisse. I start grooming him, there are some magical sparkles, and poof! Where there was once a foal, now I have a strapping young demon horse.

Demon horse?!

I mean, this thing is literally described as "Demon Horse" when you mouse over its stats. It's jet black, wreathed in an aura of dark smoke, with blazing eye sockets that have little tongues of flame licking out of them if you look closely. It reminds me of the Assassin's Guild mounts you can get in the Elder Scrolls games.

Don't get me wrong here, it actually looks pretty cool - the eyes leave a neat light trail when Anice moves his head - but "demonic steed" isn't what I imagine when I think of games for small children who like horses. o_O

I'm not sure if I'll continue my equine adventures, but I'll be sure to spam everyone again keep you all posted on whatever "interesting" game I run into next. >.>

The trouble is if you're a media-focused person without enough money to get a NAS setup, then every SATA port counts and you're going to want to load them all up with HDDs.

99% of people building a PC are going to benefit way more from the SSD speed boost than the potential to turn 15 TB of storage into 18. :p

At least get a small one to hold the OS. That's what I did.
I have a 120gb drive to hold just the OS filesystem -- then I bought a 3TB drive to hold my Steam installs.

256 is actually cheap enough that I'd probably tell most people to go with that these days, but yeah.

Sajjaja

Hey guys, I have a retail Alpha Protocol installed on my computer. How do I get Steam to use those files for its install? I moved the retail directory to the steamapps/common folder and hit verify but it still insists on downloading.

JaseC

Hey guys, I have a retail Alpha Protocol installed on my computer. How do I get Steam to use those files for its install? I moved the retail directory to the steamapps/common folder and hit verify but it still insists on downloading.

Uninstall the Steam version and install the retail version to SteamApps\common\Alpha Protocol, then reinstall the game through Steam. Most if not all of the data should pass Steam's verification check when it inspects the pre-existing files, though if the Steam version has been patched then you'll need to download the updated data.

kurahador

Saturday Morning RPG is pretty long for a small size game.

I wish the story is better though.
And the lack of tutorial or any kind explanation on the gameplay & UI is pretty lazy.

Sajjaja

Uninstall the Steam version and install the retail version to SteamApps\common\Alpha Protocol, then reinstall the game through Steam. Most if not all of the data should pass Steam's verification check when it inspects the pre-existing files, though if the Steam version has been patched then you'll need to download the updated data.

Thanks. It worked (mostly). I still need to download another 3.8GB for some reason >_<

zkylon

zkylewd

wow i did not know this, awesome

really cool since my boxed alpha protocol copy's cd key is borked or something. like it stopped working after x installations but afaik ap didn't have the install limit, rite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom