• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
HL2's an interesting one, by the time it came out HL1 looked so incredibly antiquated but was still a blast to play. HL2 is the opposite, it still manages to look pretty decent nearly a decade after, but playing it is kind of boring. Compared to the original, the weapons are less satisfying to use, the weapon count is smaller, the way the enemies are in combat is just less interesting. It's just really dated to go back to because a lot of the impact was solely on the presentation and the gimmick of the Gravity Gun.

My advice on Episode 2, if you haven't played it yet don't bother at this point until there's a confirmed HL3 release date nearby so you don't get toyed with like the rest of the fanbase. Playing Episode 1 is fine though.

I still can't believe they thought fighting antlions for 10 minutes was a good idea.

This month I build my very first PC and this is my setup:

How many years can I expect to get out of it? At maximum but also to run games decently? I hope it can last 5 years until I have to change the video card, even if I have to play new games on High and some on Medium.

You'll be set for some time but you dont need 16gb of ram- 8gb will get the job done. My rig is similar to yours (i5 3570k, 2gb 680, and 8gb ram) and I can max out all of the settings at 1080p with a solid 60fps on most games and can even downsample from 3200x1800 on certain games (RE6, Grid come to mind). On certain games I have to use a weaker form of AA if I want all the other settings at their highest.

As games get more demanding you'll probably just be limited by the 780s vram, so you won't be able to downsample and have to use fxaa for your AA options for graphically demanding games.

I'm not an expert.

Pachimari

You'll be set for some time but you dont need 16gb of ram- 8gb will get the job done. My rig is similar to yours (i5 3570k, 2gb 680, and 8gb ram) and I can max out all of the settings at 1080p with a solid 60fps on most games and can even downsample from 3200x1800 on certain games (RE6, Grid come to mind). On certain games I have to use a weaker form of AA if I want all the other settings at their highest.

As games get more demanding you'll probably just be limited by the 780s vram, so you won't be able to downsample and have to use fxaa for your AA options for graphically demanding games.

I'm not an expert.

Should I have gone for a "weaker" GPU with more vram instead for more longevity then?

By the way, is it still possible to get Mafia 1 for Steam now that it have been pulled for a long time? That's basically the only game I'm looking for digitally now.

Luftrausers is my new addictive game.

Dammit, how are you playing already?
I want to give it a shot, but I need it to be on sale for less than $9...
I like shmups, but I didn't like the flash game, especially with the keyboard.

I'ts pretty great. I assumed it was going to be a controller game for me but I found it much easier to stall and maneuver with the arrow keys.

I'm still working on taking out a blimp.

Dammit, you too?

Yay! Won a copy of Luftrausers from Devolver Digital on Twitter. Impressions later.

Curses, I should pay more attention to twitter, it seems.

I still cant believe that someone doesnt like HL2.

Believe it. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why people think it's so great.
I also don't understand the attachment they seem to have for the characters and "story" -- the hype built up around the end of ep. 2 was massive going in and when it finished all I could think was "that's it?"

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Half Life 2's combat is dramatically improved by playing on max difficulty with no HUD or reticule elements, in my opinion. Without the ability to precisely headshot everything, and less of an idea of how much health or ammo you have, you really have to pay attention to the A.I. and your surroundings. I would recommend it to anyone who is still interested in liking the Half Life 2 games.

Anteater

omg finally, this dude kept dying in this mission in gta4 for like no reason and I didn't do anything different, he just dies until he stop dying on my 4th try.

All those fucking driving!

Should I have gone for a "weaker" GPU with more vram instead for more longevity then?

By the way, is it still possible to get Mafia 1 for Steam now that it have been pulled for a long time? That's basically the only game I'm looking for digitally now.

I wouldn't. Stick with the 780 or whatever the Radeon equivalent is.

DocSeuss

Mafia 1 wasn't pulled for Steam, it was never available for sale. It was a pre-order give-away, like Rayman.

Interesting, Deus Ex: The Fall has a preload.

omg finally, this dude kept dying in this mission in gta4 for like no reason and I didn't do anything different, he just dies until he stop dying on my 4th try.

If you're playing on PC, I hope you've braced yourself for the worst quicktime event of all time. Don't ask when, where, or how - you'll know it when it happens.

I'll "review" things for promo copies of games. Where do I sign up?
I bet I'd give more useful reviews than a lot of "professionals" too. :p
If you're serious, I can get you in contact with the PR person who gave me my code for Luftrausers.

It might be a while before she can respond though as GDC is right around the corner and things are super hectic for PR people atm.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've had a pretty shitty week this week (surgery, turned down for a job, my dad had a heart attack, and I found out my daughter needs surgery to have her wisdom teeth removed), so I decided to kind of put the latest Enhanced Steam update on hold for a few more days. This will also give some of our new translators time to enter their new translations. :)

I tried getting back into Diablo 3 this weekend, since they're doing 50% bonus XP in preparation for the new expansion pack releasing soon.

While it's much improved over what I played when it first came out, I still found myself thinking "I'd rather be playing Path of Exile". So I did. I finished normal difficulty with my Scion, which took about 20 hours total. The game is a blast and despite having a few more janky mechanics than Diablo 3, it's light years ahead of it in terms of fun.

Yes but what about the Oscar worthy script?

That's what counts right?

EDIT - that's quite some week Jason :/. I trust your father is stable and is going to be okay? *internet hug*

fantomena

I'll "review" things for promo copies of games. Where do I sign up?
I bet I'd give more useful reviews than a lot of "professionals" too. :p

I have been reviewing for tons of big pubs and devs for about 1 year now, most PR people Im in contact with "knows" me so I guess I got lucky in the start.

:( the first time I heard about a qte lol

I didn't hear anything about it either, and then *BAMF* out of nowhere it hit me. I then spent the next 90 or so minutes figuring out how to get through it. Then I uninstalled GTA4 and never played it again (the Episodes don't count).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I've had a pretty shitty week this week (surgery, turned down for a job, my dad had a heart attack, and I found out my daughter needs surgery to have her wisdom teeth removed), so I decided to kind of put the latest Enhanced Steam update on hold for a few more days. This will also give some of our new translators time to enter their new translations. :)

I tried getting back into Diablo 3 this weekend, since they're doing 50% bonus XP in preparation for the new expansion pack releasing soon.

While it's much improved over what I played when it first came out, I still found myself thinking "I'd rather be playing Path of Exile". So I did. I finished normal difficulty with my Scion, which took about 20 hours total. The game is a blast and despite having a few more janky mechanics than Diablo 3, it's light years ahead of it in terms of fun.

first of all, sorry about the shitty week. Especially with your kid :(

second, replace path of exile with the one that shall not be named and that could have been me typing that, thts exactly how I feel about it regarding Diablo, especially the fun part.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Thanks guys. Everything is more or less okay now, so here's hoping that this week will be a better one!

this week is my birthday, its already a better week

wait im old as shit, scratch that, its a horrible week :(

If you're serious, I can get you in contact with the PR person who gave me my code for Luftrausers.

It might be a while before she can respond though as GDC is right around the corner and things are super hectic for PR people atm.

I'd love a promo code and I'd review the game for one -- problem is I don't actually work for any sort of gaming news/review publication or website -- so my reviews would be something that I could post to metacritic/steam/GAF/CAG/only, I'd wager. :\

Tellaerin

Ouch. Sorry to hear it, man. : / Hope things in your life take a turn for a better soon.

fantomena

I'd love a promo code and I'd review the game for one -- problem is I don't actually work for any sort of gaming news/review publication or website -- so my reviews would be something that I could post to metacritic/steam/GAF/CAG/only, I'd wager. :\

I don't think that will work. Try to make a blog at least.

Yeah, you'd most likely need some sort of audience first.
Either start a YouTube channel or star writing a blog, just something to get an audience first, it is basically a trade that goes on, you give the game exposure to an audience they wouldn't otherwise have, and you get a copy of the game.

I'd love a promo code and I'd review the game for one -- problem is I don't actually work for any sort of gaming news/review publication or website -- so my reviews would be something that I could post to metacritic/steam/GAF/CAG/only, I'd wager. :
I started a blog through Blogspot, started out just reviewing games I'd played and previewing stuff I was aware of. Shared links here, social media, Reddit. Twitter and Reddit became my main source of reaching out to an audience and then I decide to try my luck at requesting review codes. The key is to be polite and not beg, but rather explain your interest, why you'd like to cover their game. Actually nowadays, I receive more emails from devs than I send out.

But yeah you first want to build a foundation with a blog or channel. And devs love giving out keys to get exposure so the likelihood of receiving a requested key is quite high

Believe it. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why people think it's so great.
I also don't understand the attachment they seem to have for the characters and "story" -- the hype built up around the end of ep. 2 was massive going in and when it finished all I could think was "that's it?"

Okay Episode 2 was okayish. Episode 1 wasnt that great either. But it seems that nobody really has a clue about whats going on in HL. And that is what it makes great for me. Its so damn mysterious and with every game we get to know more about the universe but also question more about whats going on. Thats why HL3 is more hyped than a Call of Duty XY or a new Final Fantasy. Because there is hope that we will know who the fuck the G-Man is. And we still dont know since 1998.

You know that you have to actually play trough those games right? I for once would never accept a code for a game that im not interested in. I wouldnt give a game a high mark just because LV1 is great and i want to continue playing game XYZ. And this whole "Oh you gave me a bad mark? Well thats not good. Now im marking all your Youtube Content"-shit isnt that cool either. Better stay here and pay for games instead of getting into trouble and having headaches because i gave game XYZ a bad mark and now the whole Gaming community is shitting on me.

Coldsun

Banned
I started a blog through Blogspot, started out just reviewing games I'd played and previewing stuff I was aware of. Shared links here, social media, Reddit. Twitter and Reddit became my main source of reaching out to an audience and then I decide to try my luck at requesting review codes. The key is to be polite and not beg, but rather explain your interest, why you'd like to cover their game. Actually nowadays, I receive more emails from devs than I send out.

But yeah you first want to build a foundation with a blog or channel. And devs love giving out keys to get exposure so the likelihood of receiving a requested key is quite high

I suppose the question then is, after you have a userbase of some size, how do you go about finding the appropriate contact info?

I too have been slowly working on a review site (slower since the birth of my daughter), but its still something I see myself doing.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I may be tripping out but I remember seeing MechWarrior Online on Steam...?

You might be thinking of Hawken?

MWO is supposed to come to Steam eventually, but...They've kinda been bad about hitting their various milestones, so it probably won't be any time soon.

I could be totally wrong though, I haven't checked their homepage or the thread here in awhile.

Okay Episode 2 was okayish. Episode 1 wasnt that great either. But it seems that nobody really has a clue about whats going on in HL. And that is what it makes great for me. Its so damn mysterious and with every game we get to know more about the universe but also question more about whats going on. Thats why HL3 is more hyped than a Call of Duty XY or a new Final Fantasy. Because there is hope that we will know who the fuck the G-Man is. And we still dont know since 1998.

You know that you have to actually play trough those games right? I for once would never accept a code for a game that im not interested in. I wouldnt give a game a high mark just because LV1 is great and i want to continue playing game XYZ. And this whole "Oh you gave me a bad mark? Well thats not good. Now im marking all your Youtube Content"-shit isnt that cool either. Better stay here and pay for games instead of getting into trouble and having headaches because i gave game XYZ a bad mark and now the whole Gaming community is shitting on me.

I'm fully aware of that. :p

Luftrausers is something I would love to play and would consider buying in the first place, so I'd be happy to play it for awhile and review it... even if I didn't like it, I'd at least try to make sure I'd experienced most of what the game had to offer before writing up my thoughts and impressions. Hell, I didn't like Strider, but I pushed through it and then even did a second runthrough to get the last achievement. I don't recommend the game and advise people against buying it, but I put my time in for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom