• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

And now that I have hopped on the Steam bandwagon, it sounds like it may not have aged well, judging by some of the comments I'm seeing now. Ah well.

Eh, don't believe the haters.
Just go into it with an open mind, remembering the fact that it's not a new game, and you'll do fine.

I was in the same boat. I boycotted Steam for a long time because I saw it as the harbinger of an oppressive DRM-ridden, price-gouging future. If I'd known then what I know now, it would've been a different story. Thankfully, I came around eventually.

The only sad thing is that I never did end up playing HL2 - I skipped it when it was released because it required Steam, and I didn't appreciate what I felt at the time was a heavy-handed attempt to make me install their client. And now that I have hopped on the Steam bandwagon, it sounds like it may not have aged well, judging by some of the comments I'm seeing now. Ah well.

Just play it and judge for yourself. It might be your next GOAT. And no im not joking.

I really really wonder how HL3 will be. A next-gen shooter with old-gen mechanics. Or a next-gen shooter with next-gen mechanics.

This is what I'm wondering as well. Not just for HL3, but any next-gen Valve shooter. Off the top of my head they're the only major/AAAaaaaa dev who keep it oldschool, so will they "finally" move with the times or just follow their on way.

Art style and story. "Intelligent" and "brilliant" story. I remember Bioshock 1 as being a somehow decent game with a great start and utterly disappointing second half. The twist was really great but thats about it.

Well yeah, sure. As I said the HLs' reputation is also mostly for their presentation, but at least those games don't have clunky combat/control. Which given their roots would have been a massive fuckup on Valve's part if they did have those.

Parsnip

Yeah, even if parts of HL2 haven't aged as well as some other parts, it's still absolutely a thing you need to play at some point.

I was in the same boat. I boycotted Steam for a long time because I saw it as the harbinger of an oppressive DRM-ridden, price-gouging future. If I'd known then what I know now, it would've been a different story. Thankfully, I came around eventually.

The only sad thing is that I never did end up playing HL2 - I skipped it when it was released because it required Steam, and I didn't appreciate what I felt at the time was a heavy-handed attempt to make me install their client. And now that I have hopped on the Steam bandwagon, it sounds like it may not have aged well, judging by some of the comments I'm seeing now. Ah well.

Half Life 2 looks great to me still. Unless you mean gun mechanics and stuff? I prefer the older mechanics so its right at home for me.

Eh, don't believe the haters.
Just go into it with an open mind, remembering the fact that it's not a new game, and you'll do fine.
I agree with that, but also don't believe the lovers either. Play as much as you want of it and believe yourself.

I think HL2 holds up at least as well as RE4. It's just that there's been tons of FPS games since then inspired by it, so it doesn't feel as original any more.
It's not a bad game by any means, just that time has greatly degraded the impact it once had. There are a lot of games you can go back to for the first time and still have your mind blown, I don't think HL2 is one of those.

I agree with that, but also don't believe the lovers either. Play as much as you want of it and believe yourself.

It's not a bad game by any means, just that time has greatly degraded the impact it once had. There are a lot of games you can go back to for the first time and still have your mind blown, I don't think HL2 is one of those.

Super Mario Bros. 3
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time
Halo
Half-Life 1 and 2
Resident Evil 4
The Last of Us

Just a few timeless games in my opinion.

Edit: I do agree the impact isn't the same however. I simply meant timeless in that I enjoy replaying them as much as I did the first time.

The best story in any FPS game, arguably besides HL2.

I dont know. For me it felt like Bioshock has no good story. Just a world and nothing more. The "Story" is... you just get into the city... a guy helps you and wants your help to kill Andrew Ryan.
You kill Andrew but he gives you a hint that you got manipulated by the guy who helped you and now you have to kill him.

Everything else is not really important. There is too much small things that is not helping the real story out. They made a huge city with so much history but the real story for the game is just plain boring.

Half Life on the other hand is a bit different. I think the "real story" is not even definable. Because we simply know nothing about whats important and what is not. Is it about the G-Man who sends Gordon somewhere to solve problems? Is it about Gordon who gets teleported somewhere to solve problems for the G-Man? Is the G-Man Gordon? How are the incidents from HL1 and HL2 connected?

Maybe everything makes sense later when HL3 is out. Maybe HL1,HL2 and HL3 are connected. Maybe just by Gordon and G-Man. Maybe a bit more than just those two. They even could bring up stuff Bioshock did with Multiverse. Or they could be big jerks again and explain nothing all over again. So we hype for another Half Life game.

I feel like most shooters not called Halo essentially work like lightgun shooters with more player agency. You're running forward, forward, forward, from cover to cover.

Well 80% (With Halo) are like that. There are only a few that stand out from the crowd.

Good luck and be ready to suffer and restart several times because of piece of gold you grabbed that was hidden atop a tree or behind a column. Use your whip a lot ;)

Probably the hardest achievement in Spelunky. I did it before going to hell and when I got it I had to so much training that hell was quite easy.

That's my plan, I think. I've heard that Speedlunky and Low Score are the hardest to get really... and besides that, I think I could get most of the rest of what I'm missing in 1 run to hell (vlad, vlad's cape, vlad's amulet, succubus, iron ball, yama, yama's demons for the guide)... getting to hell and beating the game that would would net me most of the rest...

I'm still missing the 500k achievement though.

I had low score working all the way to 3-3 or 3-4 and something random happened that threw me off the bottom and caused my run to end.

I feel like most shooters not called Halo essentially work like lightgun shooters with more player agency. You're running forward, forward, forward, from cover to cover.

That sounds like Halo in my experience too.

Deadbeat

Banned
The best story in any FPS game, arguably besides HL2.
Ripped off the plot twist from System shock 2 where the person helping you is the bad dude all along. Endings where you are an angel or hitler.

edit: Incase you didnt know, The same writer that wrote SS2 wrote Bioshock. Thats why its a crappy retread. It has an ever shittier ending than SS2. That shouldnt be possible.

EdmondD

Ripped off the plot twist from System shock 2 where the person helping you is the bad dude all along. Endings where you are an angel or hitler.

edit: Incase you didnt know, The same writer that wrote SS2 wrote Bioshock. Thats why its a crappy retread. It has an ever shittier ending than SS2. That shouldnt be possible.

....Nah. Just kidding I love that game. System Shock 2 ending is so bad it's good.

mannerbot

That's my plan, I think. I've heard that Speedlunky and Low Score are the hardest to get really... and besides that, I think I could get most of the rest of what I'm missing in 1 run to hell (vlad, vlad's cape, vlad's amulet, succubus, iron ball, yama, yama's demons for the guide)... getting to hell and beating the game that would would net me most of the rest...

I'm still missing the 500k achievement though.

I had low score working all the way to 3-3 or 3-4 and something random happened that threw me off the bottom and caused my run to end.

Speedlunky's not bad at all, Low Scorer is definitely the hardest Spelunky achievement. Big Money is basically just a regular Hell clear assuming you don't just ignore gold.

vermadas

I've played about an hour of Luftrousers and I can confirm that the game is fantastic. It has that "just one more game" thing where it's really hard to put the controller down. I used a 360 pad, but mostly because I avoid M/KB whenever possible (comfy couch). The game seems like it would be easier to control with the KB arrow keys. Either way, it handles extremely well. One of the game's central mechanics is that you have regenerating health, but it regenerates much faster when you're not firing. You can take a decent amount of hits before you die, but it's still easy to meet your end quickly if you're careless. There is a visual indicator when your health goes down where the screen lightens a bit outside the radius of a circle around your craft, which will get smaller the closer you are to death. It's a very smart alternative to something like a health bar which would have taken your focus away from the action.

Your scores will contribute experience for you to level up, which earns you new weapons, armor, and engines. There are also challenges which earn you skulls (which translate to exp... I think?) that are tied to these parts, so it encourages you to play around with different configurations. The different tracks I've heard in the game seem to be tied to these configurations as well. What I've heard of the soundtrack of the game so far has been excellent.

I only have two complaints about the game so far. The first is a minor annoyance; though I was playing with a controller all the prompts still referred to keyboard buttons. It was wasn't too hard to figure out what mapped to what though. The other problem I had with the game is that it renders in 4:3. So full screen = black bars.

The game comes highly recommended from me if you enjoy high score chasing, quick to learn yet hard to master, bite sized arcade games.

I also finished Arkham Origins yesterday. On one hand, I can see where a lot of reviewers were coming from in this game because I was pretty fatigued with its formula as well. I skipped more of the "side quests" in this game than I did in previous games. Though I didn't come close to completing the previous games either, especially City with all the tedious Riddler stuff. All that being said, I thought this installment was better than its predecessors when considering the complete package. So you can count me on #TeamOrigins.

For me: Origins > City > Asylum.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
that's not tower defence... IDK why it was tagged so and what were Valve, community and devs thinking, but as I keep repeating, they made huge disservice to this game.
Sex sells is OK too

All right then. I'll buy that game.

...how much was that monster apartment game in sale?

Thezez

Banned
Anybody have the Early Access Carmageddon Reincarnation? Evidently I didn't pledge enough to hit the early access level. How is it?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
EA ruins everything.

I was going to go see Need for Speed this weekend at the theaters. Then I remembered that it's EA and decided it would probably be terrible.

Levyne

Banned
I had actually forgotten there was even a need for speed movie.

Speaking of EA, Dragon age seems pretty damn fun, but bioware's social website navigation is a damn clusterfuck.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You're probably required to install Origin to get the previews to stop.

I heard there was a mini feature after the movie (like in the Marvel movies) but you have to pay extra for the movie's DLC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
lol, it is both immensely amusing and disconcerting that you know so much about her personal life.

It's not my fault I remember these things! I read something once and it just... sits there. This "talent" would be useful if it didn't apply only to Saoirse stuff and Valve stuff. ;)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think it is time that a mod tag you as "Steam Connoisseur" or similar.

Haha, as nice as that would be I'm not overly fussed about getting a tag. If one day I get one, or I'm made a mod and can set one myself, then great; if not, oh well. Fishing for a tag, or throwing your name into a tag thread, seems like the wrong way to go about things to me as they defeat the sense of pride (or shame, as the case may be) that should come with getting one.

moar liek Steam Customer Support amirite

I wish. Only then* could Wheelman be mine!

* Maybe. Probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom