• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fully aware of that. :p

Luftrausers is something I would love to play and would consider buying in the first place, so I'd be happy to play it for awhile and review it... even if I didn't like it, I'd at least try to make sure I'd experienced most of what the game had to offer before writing up my thoughts and impressions. Hell, I didn't like Strider, but I pushed through it and then even did a second runthrough to get the last achievement. I don't recommend the game and advise people against buying it, but I put my time in for sure.

Probability of getting the games you would love to play right from the start : 0.

As well as : I for once thing every reviewer should play trough the whole game. Because some games are getting better and better at the end while others have a great start but are lacking everything else. Even a small arcade game like Luftrauser could end up being pretty boring at the end of the 100 levels (Not saying that it is just that it could).

Pachimari

I really don't understand why I'm experiencing FPS drops in Plants Vs. Zombies on my HDTV.. My 5 year old desktop didn't experience any drops. =/

And my new one has a i5 CPU and 16GB of RAM.

As I didn't take part in online communities back then....did HL2 receive the same press praise then initial community praise then community backlash, like Infinite? Or did the critical voices started getting louder after years?

I don't think that there ever was backlash from press or community. It was one of the greatest games of all time and still stands as such
in my opinion

I suppose the question then is, after you have a userbase of some size, how do you go about finding the appropriate contact info?

I too have been slowly working on a review site (slower since the birth of my daughter), but its still something I see myself doing.
You just e-mail the developers/publishers(they tend to have some form of contact form, if not message them on twitter) and say, hey I want to review your game, here is what I plan to do with your game(preview/review/etc) and here are some stats about my website.

And to make this post more about Steam.
It's St. Patricks Day and I need to go visit Calender Man in Batman: Arkham City, I'm slowly working towards the Storyteller steam achievement.

HoosTrax

I really don't understand why I'm experiencing FPS drops in Plants Vs. Zombies on my HDTV.. My 5 year old desktop didn't experience any drops. =/

And my new one has a i5 CPU and 16GB of RAM.
It's a flash game (I *think*) that bogs down severely if you try to use 3D acceleration/full screen. If you don't mind the pixelated look, unchecking the 3D acceleration box in the Options might resolved the problem.

You just e-mail the developers/publishers(they tend to have some form of contact form, if not message them on twitter) and say, hey I want to review your game, here is what I plan to do with your game(preview/review/etc) and here are some stats about my website.

And to make this post more about Steam.
It's St. Patricks Day and I need to go visit Calender Man in Batman: Arkham City, I'm slowly working towards the Storyteller steam achievement.

I did not have the patience to do that achievement the "legit" way. I fucked with my system clock. :)

Speaking of achievements, I just did Speedlunky for the second time! And I think I had about 1 heart going through most of the jungle and ice caves. Feels fantastic. Next up, Low Score. :D

Grief.exe

As I didn't take part in online communities back then....did HL2 receive the same press praise then initial community praise then community backlash, like Infinite? Or did the critical voices started getting louder after years?

HL2 is still considered to be on of the best games of all time. Admittedly, HL2 doesn't hold up as well now, EP2 does though.

Bioshock Infinite is a decidedly mediocre game overall with a great first impression and a thought provoking ending.

HL2 is still considered to be on of the best games of all time. Admittedly, HL2 doesn't hold up as well now, EP2 does though.

Bioshock Infinite is a decidedly mediocre game overall with a great first impression and a thought provoking ending.

I'm not one to care what the general consensus is if I happen to disagree with it. And for me, I have never been impressed with the HL series (or really blown away by anything Valve has developed, to be completely honest).

If Bioshock Infinite is anything like the first two, when I get around to playing it, it will outrank HL2 on my list without a doubt.

Grief.exe

I'm not one to care what the general consensus is if I happen to disagree with it. And for me, I have never been impressed with the HL series (or really blown away by anything Valve has developed, to be completely honest).

If Bioshock Infinite is anything like the first two, when I get around to playing it, it will outrank HL2 on my list without a doubt.

Its not much like the first two.

Going back and watching Ken Levine's unveiling of the original Bioshock is now made ironic after Infinite's release.

Sadly Infinite is much more run and gun feeling then the first two. While I feel on a whole it's a better game then Bioshock 2, it just can't live up to the greatness of the first.
iL2J9oAjdXjwg.gif

I remember a HL2 preview that had Gordon using physprops as a blockade on a door in pseudo-Ravenholm seemingly having the Combine soldiers on the other side dynamically react and blast through it after failing to kick the door down. The actual game had nothing like that and the general AI behaviour was pretty tepid.

If they pulled something like that today I imagine the reaction would be far harsher. Though HL2 never really had much backlash to speak of, just the whole "why do I have to install Valve's crappy online DRM program to play it".

HL2 is still considered to be on of the best games of all time.

I'm not sure about that. By the press? Probably. But visiting gaming sites (like this one), not just HL2, but the whole franchise seems to be among the most discretided and criticized. Of course it can be a case of vocal minority...

HL2's criticism in recent years has as much to do with how old it is than anything else. If they tried to make the same game today the awkward bits wouldn't be nearly as prominent. Stuff like the neverending antlion battle seemed kind of standard for any shooter to me back then, and I can barely stomach it now.

huh, arena battles are pretty prominent in today's shooters.

Definitely vocal minority.
Yes, it's awkward, but it holds up surprisingly well.
(EP1 less so)

Vocal minoitiry doesn't mean crap at the end of the day.
Either you like it or you don't. :p
I'm pretty sure there's a vocal majority that tries to counteract it, because for the most part I see the masses praise games I'm vocal about disliking. Uncharted 2, HL2, Halo franchise, etc.

--

Trying to figure out something quick to focus on playing as I don't want to start something that I need to take my time with since Yaiba is coming Tuesday. I wonder if Yaiba will allow preload...

--

Indie sale starts this week, right? Friday, maybe?
There's a ton of games on my wishlist that might qualify as indie -- I'd love a good price on some of them to slim down my wishlist.

Speaking of sales -- AC3:L HD is on sale for $12 at gamefly -- but I assume that's the Uplay version.

I remember a HL2 preview that had Gordon using physprops as a blockade on a door in pseudo-Ravenholm seemingly having the Combine soldiers on the other side dynamically react and blast through it after failing to kick the door down. The actual game had nothing like that and the general AI behaviour was pretty tepid.

If they pulled something like that today I imagine the reaction would be far harsher. Though HL2 never really had much backlash to speak of, just the whole "why do I have to install Valve's crappy online DRM program to play it".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ddJ1OKV63Q

probably still unmatched as far as E3 presentations go

really too bad about the AI. Which is weird since the soldier AI in HL1 was pretty advanced for its time.

Kuroyume

Banned
Played through all of the HL titles (excluding a HL1 expansion here or there) and I thought the games were great. Original HL was kind of painful to get through though... Audio design is terrible in that game.

I did not have the patience to do that achievement the "legit" way. I fucked with my system clock. :)
That's definitely the way I'd recommend people do it as well, I've only got like...another 7 months to go before I get this achievement ._.

But I sort of like doing this since it gives me a reason to open up Arkham City and then when it's open I'll go after some of the other achievements I'm missing(right now, the only achievements I'm missing are Robin and Nightwing's riddler's revenge achievements)

That's definitely the way I'd recommend people do it as well, I've only got like...another 7 months to go before I get this achievement ._.

But I sort of like doing this since it gives me a reason to open up Arkham City and then when it's open I'll go after some of the other achievements I'm missing(right now, the only achievements I'm missing are Robin and Nightwing's riddler's revenge achievements)

You've got a better track record than I do.
I had almost platinumed the game and then sold it and rebought the GOTY version on PS3. Turns out the saves aren't compatible for some ridiculous reason. So I had to play through the game AGAIN because I needed the new game plus achievement and such. By the time I got done with the achievement, I did the Harley Quinn DLC and called it a day because I didn't really have much interest in redoing all the medals for Catwoman, Nightwing, and Robin. The combat challenges are so boring, because they're essentially Batman with less variety (from what I played of them).

MRORANGE

I think you need to go back to 2004 to understand why there was so much praise for HL2.

- Tech was amazing at the time, a generation ahead of what consoles could achieve.
- Fantastic use of the gravity gun and game mechanics were ground breaking at the time.
- It was coming off one the best PC shooters of all time and managed to deliver.

Right now it's aged somewhat well, the main issues is the fact that boat/car missions can been seen as long in the tooth, but most games from that period were often filled with these sections so it's hard to complain much, EP1/2 did fix those issues to some degree.

EDIT: it's also the highest rated game metacritic game on Steam, if that means anything to you.

maty

Speaking of achievements, I just did Speedlunky for the second time! And I think I had about 1 heart going through most of the jungle and ice caves. Feels fantastic. Next up, Low Score. :D

Good luck and be ready to suffer and restart several times because of piece of gold you grabbed that was hidden atop a tree or behind a column. Use your whip a lot ;)

Probably the hardest achievement in Spelunky. I did it before going to hell and when I got it I had to so much training that hell was quite easy.

Heh, but no really when HL2 came out 10 years ago it was pretty much hailed as the 2nd coming, the only thing which people complained about was the fact that the game used Steam.

Absolutely. I remember sitting at work as a young Toddhunter and watching the reveal trailers with my boss. We were pretty blown away and the game mostly delivered. For me it was always about the promise of the strider enemies, that was just flat out cool and Episode 2 cashed in on that big time

And yeah, I too raged against steam at the time. It was like the death of PC gaming, from something I loved, to this new and scary internet/DRM/controlled thing that was going to change everything. And it did change everything...but it worked out in the end.

Kaleinc

Banned
I think you need to go back to 2004 to understand why there was so much praise for HL2.

- Tech was amazing at the time, a generation ahead of what consoles could achieve.
- Fantastic use of the gravity gun and game mechanics were ground breaking at the time.
- It was coming off one the best PC shooters of all time and managed to deliver.

Right now it's aged somewhat well, the main issues is the fact that boat/car missions can been seen as long in the tooth, but most games from that period were often filled with these sections so it's hard to complain much, EP1/2 did fix those issues to some degree.

EDIT: it's also the highest rated game metacritic game on Steam, if that means anything to you.
All I remember is looping sound when saving/loading, boring combat and story lacking any logical conclusion if any. Yeah, never was a HL fan.

Absolutely. I remember sitting at work as a young Toddhunter and watching the reveal trailers with my boss. We were pretty blown away and the game mostly delivered.

For me it was always about the promise of the strider enemies, that was just flat out cool and Episode 2 cashed in on that big time

And yeah, I too raged against steam at the time. It was like the death of PC gaming, from something I loved, to this new and scary internet/DRM/controlled thing that was going to change everything.

I remember that most of my friends were just buying the game and then pirated that shit just to avoid steam.

Now its Steam-or-Bust.

The gameplay in HL2 is really antiquated in my mind. It's perfectly possible to craft a highly polished singleplayer game (the Arkham games for example) without forcing the player to take a very specific route that the developer had in mind, to the point where routes that should make sense aren't available to the player. I hate wasting my time trying to find the route I'm supposed to take and being confounded by things like doors that are actually textures painted onto walls (really? I can't shoot it open?) and chain link fences that cannot be climbed. It really ruins the flow for me.

The people who have played the game through at least once and thus can avoid getting stuck probably can't even see the game's flaws.

Edit: putting in artificial movement limitations is one thing, but at least make them make sense

35851.jpg

Sorry i just had to. But it was usual at the time. Even Half Life 1 had some pretty stupid Level Limitations. Or GTA had some stupid too. I think that stuff is now solved because the engines are now better.

HoosTrax

The gameplay in HL2 is really antiquated in my mind. It's perfectly possible to craft a highly polished singleplayer game (the Arkham games for example) without forcing the player to take a very specific route that the developer had in mind, to the point where routes that should make sense aren't available to the player. I hate wasting my time trying to find the route I'm supposed to take and being confounded by things like doors that are actually textures painted onto walls (really? I can't shoot it open?) and chain link fences that cannot be climbed. It really ruins the flow for me.

The people who have played the game through at least once and thus can avoid getting stuck probably can't even see the game's flaws.

Edit: putting in artificial movement limitations is one thing, but at least make them make sense

Parsnip

I find that HL2 hasn't aged admirably as far as gameplay goes. The world is still great though, and the story it tells. All the characters are great as well, Alyx especially. I find that her emotiveness is the thing that holds up the best, even amongst the crazy motion capture tech of today.

The shooting in HL2 isn't great, but the gravity gun and physics are still as fun as ever to mess about with.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who ended up with many of those "is this really how I was supposed to get through this area?" moments, when you pile up a heap of crap to make stairs or something.

It's almost ten years old.
Thing is, RE4 came out less than 2 months later and it's still awesome. HL2, not as much. I think this is all just pointing out how in-the-moment HL2's concepts were. By the time 2 came out I was so sick of 1, but over the years my appreciation for the original went up and up while my opinion on the second sunk further and further. Still, the art and world design in HL2 is just incredible, it was miles ahead of the pack.

*On consoles lol

lol

They didn't specify that I think

still surprising. One would think Goldeneye, MW or one of the Halos would hold that title.

Only played Bio1 on PC, but the shooting/controls felt so clunky. If it was anything like that on consoles, how can it be the highest rated shooter?

I love the 4chan post on this segment.

He says that modern gaming has made him too stupid to think about using gameplay mechanics to solve a situation such as this.

Its just a simple thing. Run to the door. Try to open it. The Wall falls down.

I even remember the Rats with pistols. Nobody puts something like that in games nowadays. Because people would complaing "Meh i had to search 1 hour for this god damn door and it didnt open". Nobody wants to try out things anymore. Back then when we had little rooms where you could get a bonus weapon or something like that... we used to press the "use/open" button everywhere. I think even 60% of the players even missed the cool "Max you are in a videogame" sequence.

It just escalated somehow. It was a mix of devs expecting the player to do something different and players are not getting it. Now we have games where everything is build for the player. We get pointed towards secret tombs... towards easter eggs etc.

I really really wonder how HL3 will be. A next-gen shooter with old-gen mechanics. Or a next-gen shooter with next-gen mechanics.

lol

They didn't specify that I think

still surprising. One would think Goldeneye, MW or one of the Halos would hold that title.

Only played Bio1 on PC, but the shooting/controls felt so clunky. If it was anything like that on consoles, how can it be the highest rated shooter?

Art style and story. "Intelligent" and "brilliant" story. I remember Bioshock 1 as being a somehow decent game with a great start and utterly disappointing second half. The twist was really great but thats about it.

Tellaerin

And yeah, I too raged against steam at the time. It was like the death of PC gaming, from something I loved, to this new and scary internet/DRM/controlled thing that was going to change everything. And it did change everything...but it worked out in the end.

I was in the same boat. I boycotted Steam for a long time because I saw it as the harbinger of an oppressive DRM-ridden, price-gouging future. If I'd known then what I know now, it would've been a different story. Thankfully, I came around eventually.

The only sad thing is that I never did end up playing HL2 - I skipped it when it was released because it required Steam, and I didn't appreciate what I felt at the time was a heavy-handed attempt to make me install their client. And now that I have hopped on the Steam bandwagon, it sounds like it may not have aged well, judging by some of the comments I'm seeing now. Ah well.

ArjanN

Thing is, RE4 came out less than 2 months later and it's still awesome. HL2, not as much. I think this is all just pointing out how in-the-moment HL2's concepts were. By the time 2 came out I was so sick of 1, but over the years my appreciation for the original went up and up while my opinion on the second sunk further and further. Still, the art and world design in HL2 is just incredible, it was miles ahead of the pack.

I think HL2 holds up at least as well as RE4. It's just that there's been tons of FPS games since then inspired by it, so it doesn't feel as original any more.

I was in the same boat. I boycotted Steam for a long time because I saw it as the harbinger of an oppressive DRM-ridden, price-gouging future. If I'd known then what I know now, it would've been a different story. Thankfully, I came around eventually.

The only sad thing is that I never did end up playing HL2 - I skipped it when it was released because it required Steam, and I didn't appreciate what I felt at the time was a heavy-handed attempt to make me install their client. And now that I have hopped on the Steam bandwagon, it sounds like it may not have aged well, judging by some of the comments I'm seeing now. Ah well.

Nah, it holds up fine, way better than most games of that era. Still totally required gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom