• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku:jiki

When an older game is released on Steam, do they strip out all the old DRM the game originally had? A colleague of mine wants to buy Dawn of War but has nightmares about the old-timey DRM it apparently had.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Get that review count up girl!
Gratz!

Or maybe I should just delete the one I have. :p

Enjoy picture hunting. Feel free to edit your 2500 pic, as well. ;)

No promises. :p

Congratulation JaseC
Now pump up your steam level too, 40 is bit low for 2500+ game holder.

I went up a level today as I was beginning to run out of friend slots, so there's that, haha.

3000 isn't far away!

Full steam ahead to Barbie's Dreamhouse Party. ;)

When an older game is released on Steam, do they strip out all the old DRM the game originally had? A colleague of mine wants to buy Dawn of War but has nightmares about the old-timey DRM it apparently had.

According to this list the original Dawn of War only has GameSpy, but as noted it's not DRM, just a third-party MP service. If you're in fact referring to Dawn of War 2, GFWL appears to be on its way out.

Arthea

I should buy Mars, probably... Someone talked me out of it last time, but it sounds so cool and price is affordable. How one can resist a cyberpunk RPG on Mars?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Congrats Jase =) I have Paper Monsters on GMG I believe, I should e-mail the dev for a code...

The publisher had put Paper Monsters on Steam without the devs permission. It was taken down, as the devs are working on an improved version with fixes and new content for their Steam release.

Tizoc

^Ah I see thanks for the info.

Final Fantasy X HD collection could come to Steam
...but Japan are PC-phobic outside of say Falcom.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I should buy Mars, probably... Someone talked me out of it last time, but it sounds so cool and price is affordable. How one can resist a cyberpunk RPG on Mars?

I bought it, the price is right (hard to say a game with production values isn't worth it when it gets cheaper than $4). I hear the game has elements that don't quite come together, and so-bad-its-good stuff, but I'm all for that, and flawed titles that may have good parts in them. I haven't played it so no impressions, but if you can afford it, why not, right?

Arthea

^Ah I see thanks for the info.

Final Fantasy X HD collection could come to Steam
...but Japan are PC-phobic outside of say Falcom.

not like they are PC-phobic, it's more of PC being non factor there. Why would you throw your money at port nobody in Japan gives a damn about.
It's unfortunate for us, that's true.
And as we are talking about SE, that's way too much effort, just remember how long it took them to release remasters on PS3 and Vita.

I bought it, the price is right (hard to say a game with production values isn't worth it when it gets cheaper than $4). I hear the game has elements that don't quite come together, and so-bad-its-good stuff, but I'm all for that, and flawed titles that may have good parts in them. I haven't played it so no impressions, but if you can afford it, why not, right?

exactly! If I was to hate it after playing, at least I wouldn't be spending much on it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
After 25 hours I finally finished South Park last night. It's a great game, though I think I stretched it for way too long. I'm still mad about missing the very last chinpokomon, which is also one of the missable ones, so there goes that achievement. Oh well, that will have to wait for a future replay.

All in all, I'm glad it turned out as good as it did. The humor is great and the gameplay is fun.

Tizoc

not like they are PC-phobic, it's more of PC being non factor there. Why would you throw your money at port nobody in Japan gives a damn about.
It's unfortunate for us, that's true.
And as we are talking about SE, that's way too much effort, just remember how long it took them to release remasters on PS3 and Vita.

Then let me re-itirate:
They should give more consideration to the non-Japanese market.

The remasters for Kingdom Hearts was done by like a handful of people, and I believe the same goes for FF X HD, UNLESS I'm mistaken?

JaseC

Congrats Jase =) I have Paper Monsters on GMG I believe, I should e-mail the dev for a code...

As Golem said, the release wasn't authorised, which is why it was hastily taken down -- it's just a quick-and-dirty port of the mobile version, completing lacking controller support. I coughed up 20 keys ($38) for my copy.

After the game was pulled, I also e-mailed Crescent Moon with the hope of getting a key, but the bloke I was talking to explained that the studio never received keys from Strategy First and, not unlike other developers who've partnered with the company over the years, it'd yet to see a single cent in royalties from SF. I asked if the existing Paper Monsters app will be updated to Recut versus Recut releasing as its own game, but CM doesn't know if it'll be able to claim Strategy First's "illegal" listing and the matter won't be looked into until Recut is ready for release, which is why I chased down a copy of the existing version -- better safe than sorry.

Edit: Having said all that, if you e-mail the devs with proof of purchase when Recut is released then you should be able to get a key for it as this courtesy was offered to me.

Knurek

Wrapped up To the Moon:

99f.gif

Highly recommended if anyone is not averse to RPGMaker, and has 3 hours to spare.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to 5 minutes of story, 39 hours and 55 minutes of collecting and another 60 hours of optional content...which is also collecting.

Then the game opens up to allow you to start collecting.
"It has a lot of replay value!" - JaseC, after restarting the game for the 5th time due to lost saves

I never understood how you do it man, how do you have the patience to look in every rooftop and balcony for those flags and feathers and whatevers. But then again I never manage to find everything when a game features this stuff (for an example, read my previous post about how I missed something in South Park).

Arthea

Then let me re-itirate:
They should give more consideration to the non-Japanese market.

The remasters for Kingdom Hearts was done by like a handful of people, and I believe the same goes for FF X HD, UNLESS I'm mistaken?

I'm not sure about that, I think different teams are responsible for those. What I do remember that FFX duo HD versions were announced back in 2011 fgs! It took them longer to make HD versions than to develop original games. Something is seriously wrong with SE Japan.
They would need another 3 years if not more to port it to PC (><)
That's why I think it's not gonna happen.

"It has a lot of replay value!" - JaseC, after restarting the game for the 5th time due to lost saves

I never understood how you do it man, how do you have the patience to look in every rooftop and balcony for those flags and feathers and whatevers. But then again I never manage to find everything when a game features this stuff (for an example, read my previous post about how I missed something in South Park).

It's amazing, yes, I mean Jasec dedication to AssCreed. He could channel some of it to me, that I could play AssFlag to the end, at least, ignoring collectibles.

I have problems with collecting everything too, unless I really like basic game mechanics a lot, then it's not a problem, I can replay a game until I'm done.

JaseC

If I let the games win, they would rise up against mankind.

wazoo

I don't care about 7 and 8 remakes, but would definitely buy X and X-2 HD remakes on Steam.

1-6 could come on Steam by Android ports (not the best way, but a possibility).

FFX and more, there is hope because the HD porting means that they have rewritten code.

FFIX, I think is a lost cause, still, I think the game has aged very badly (slow, slow, slow).

oipic

Is anyone else still waiting for their Groupees Constant C key? Slow and very staggered distribution, it seems, unless I've just been missed somehow.

So Tumblr is safe? Good to know. ;)

That's uncanny - my browser ate my first post, which had a comment about how none of those sites would be necessary so long as Tumblr is safe... so all along, Opera knew best and spared me making a redundant post... (or did it?).

Is anyone else still waiting for their Groupees Constant C key? Slow and very staggered distribution, it seems, unless I've just been missed somehow.

That's uncanny - my browser ate my first post, which had a comment about how none of those sites would be necessary so long as Tumblr is safe... so all along, Opera knew best and spared me making a redundant post... (or did it?).

I got mine about a day after they started going out and I thought I was one of the last! You should probably drop them a line, seems like you have been missed.

JaseC

*Twilight Zone theme*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom