• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

def sim

Just finished gta4

Overall the gunplay is kind of terrible, dude controls like poo poo while it's way better on keyboard/mouse because of better and more precise aiming, it's.. not really too fun. Checkpoints are... there are no checkpoints, a lot of missions have the rubber banding chase sequences, in general the missions are pretty much the same, a lot of glitches, shooting npcs/cars that you're suppose to chase usually is a waste of ammos because they're invincible, the end was rushed and why the fuck is kate my waifu, and holy shit JUST GET ON THE FUCKING BOAT ALREADY NIKO I'M PRESSING F you and your fucking shitty animations. And holy shit why the fuck did that npc just died and why in the flying fuck do I have to drive all the way back.

All in all the world is pretty well made and I really enjoy driving around doing shit, I don't really have anything to say about the story because it's just kind of there.

Well anyway, I'll give the game a 12 out of 10.

Sounds great, anteater.

I'm with you about Kate. They didn't sell me on her character, so my boy Roman is the way to go.

OH NO STEAM IS #dead

that's it I'm going to a service that won't ever let me down

Impulse_logo.png

The_Monk

All this downtime from Steam has been pretty embarrassing coming from such a big company. Is there any reason why Steam has been down so many times lately? Do they even provide any info or they believe customers are so deep involved with them that we will just deal with it?

Ouch the first time my friends ever try to use steam to play some l4d2 with me and it happens when steam is having problems. Kinda bad luck, hope it doesn't scare em away.

Terra_Ex

Just finished gta4

Overall the gunplay is kind of terrible, dude controls like poo poo while it's way better on keyboard/mouse because of better and more precise aiming, it's.. not really too fun. Checkpoints are... there are no checkpoints, a lot of missions have the rubber banding chase sequences, in general the missions are pretty much the same, a lot of glitches, shooting npcs/cars that you're suppose to chase usually is a waste of ammos because they're invincible, the end was rushed and why the fuck is kate my waifu, and holy shit JUST GET ON THE FUCKING BOAT ALREADY NIKO I'M PRESSING F you and your fucking shitty animations. And holy shit why the fuck did that npc just died and why in the flying fuck do I have to drive all the way back.

All in all the world is pretty well made and I really enjoy driving around doing shit, I don't really have anything to say about the story because it's just kind of there.

Well anyway, I'll give the game a 12 out of 10.
I never got why they expected you to give a shit about Kate, she's introduced way too late in the game compared to Roman. I gave more of a shit about that
undercover cop who betrays you
than her. If you didn't choose Roman you'd probably still get ghostly bowling invitations from beyond the grave so there's only one choice really. On the plus side of things, 5 is much better.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Actually instead of that message I've got a video playing as normal, as .webm file I believe.

Interesting. Which browser are you using? Was there every anywhere you can remember setting a preference for this?

All this downtime from Steam has been pretty embarrassing coming from such a big company. Is there any reason why Steam has been down so many times lately? Do they even provide any info or they believe customers are so deep involved with them that we will just deal with it?

Valve regularly broke dota2 repeatedly with patches with glaring oversights, amateur stuff you would'nt imagine from a multi billion dollar company that hires the top 0.001% of the industry.

They've improved.....by slowing down the rate of updates rather than getting better at them.

Yeah valve is weird.

def sim

Roman died in my game and kate dumped me :(

Hah yeah

I had the same ending in my first playthrough. I immediately looked up what the other ending was, saw that it was much more preferable, and decided all the actions leading to that one is the "canon" path.

Valve should just hire more people. Dedicated Steam people. Grunts.

But nooooooo. Corporate culture.

This is just bad service providing all around.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Valve should just hire more people. Dedicated Steam people. Grunts.

But nooooooo. Corporate culture.

This is just bad service providing all around.

I agree that Valve should hire more people. I know where they can start. :)
And honestly, I wouldn't mind being a "grunt".

Tellaerin

The sequel to the NES/Arcade classic Bad Dudes where the main characters are indeed bad enough dudes to get cyborg implants and attempt to rescue the president of the intergalactic federation of planets!

Hey, it worked for Street Fighter 2010! (Okay, so maybe it didn't work. That game was pretty awful. X_x ) I'd be all over "Bionic Dudes", though.

link probably won't work now, but that's a nice looking game, isn't it?

Looks good! The artstyle kind of reminds me of Suikoden. Will upvote as soon as the page comes back up again for me.

After seeing dem Ninja gaiden Z reviews looks like steam sales game lol XD

Not sure why anyone who likes action games would trust anything coming out of "professional" reviewer.

If the game would hurry up and unlock, I'd install it and start it up to give some proper impressions for y'all.

ngt

Interesting. Which browser are you using? Was there every anywhere you can remember setting a preference for this?

Just a standard installation of Firefox. I've got a low end PC without Flash installed. I used it once for accessing Steam and was quite surprised by trailers still playing. I had to go to about:config and set "media.webm.enabled" to false.

def sim

They have an increasingly unreliable service and it's not being acknowledged. Some transparency would go a long way for them.

Anyway, I like to think it's because the amount of users they have is growing faster than they anticipated.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yo peeps. what did I miss today, just woke up :(

I see theres a new indiegala, and that nosferatu was added to the old ass indiegala dwarves.

Anteater

I never got why they expected you to give a shit about Kate, she's introduced way too late in the game compared to Roman. I gave more of a shit about that
undercover cop who betrays you
than her. If you didn't choose Roman you'd probably still get ghostly bowling invitations from beyond the grave so there's only one choice really. On the plus side of things, 5 is much better.

Yeah there are a bit too many characters in the game and I think most of them are underdeveloped.

GTA5 would be cool.

Guess I still got episodes from liberty city to go through first :D

jshackles

Just a standard installation of Firefox. I've got a low end PC without Flash installed. I used it once for accessing Steam and was quite surprised by trailers still playing. I had to go to about:config and set "media.webm.enabled" to false.

Hmm that's really weird. In the code it's basically saying "Does the user have the required version of flash? If so, play the video using Flash. If not, does the user have a value set in their cookies that tells us they would prefer to watch videos using HTML5? If so, play using HTML5. If neither is true, display the error about needing Flash."

So essentially without this flag set, if you don't have Flash, you don't get video.

I've been searching for a while now, but I can't find anywhere in the code so far that sets this preference in your cookies.

They have an increasingly unreliable service and it's not being acknowledged. Some transparency would go a long way for them.

Anyway, I like to think it's because the amount of users they have is growing faster than they anticipated.

If regular Steam is anything like Enhanced Steam (and I believe it is, just with a userbase factor of 100) the majority of their web traffic comes between 10AM and 11AM when the deals change. If the issue were really caused by an unexpected influx of users, the store would be crashing at 10am every day instead of random times.

Their "stats" page shows logged in users that keep a bit of a different schedule, but if their servers that are handling user load are the same servers handling their website, this system simply wasn't designed correctly. However, that appears to be the case since when their website goes down, it also kicks people off of Steam.

*sigh* I could do a lot of great things at Valve if given the chance.

Mozendo

I know it's Tuesday but I'm disconnecting like crazy and it's getting hard to chat with people without getting disconnected every few minutes.

Is it just me? Never experienced happen for 50 minutes.

Dolor

If regular Steam is anything like Enhanced Steam (and I believe it is, just with a userbase factor of 100) the majority of their web traffic comes between 10AM and 11AM when the deals change. If the issue were really caused by an unexpected influx of users, the store would be crashing at 10am every day instead of random times.

Their "stats" page shows logged in users that keep a bit of a different schedule, but if their servers that are handling user load are the same servers handling their website, this system simply wasn't designed correctly.

Was just about to ask this. I have some faith that Valve is smart enough to recognize that this can't keep happening, but... this can't keep happening.

Valve has a lot of goodwill because they do a ton of stuff right, but if they can't keep the lights on because they are too busy adding so many new features, then maybe they need to slow down a little bit on all the new features.

Or hire jshackles for goodness' sake.

jshackles

So I'm not alone

If you use Enhanced Steam between 10AM and 11AM, you're one of about 150,000 users to do so daily. My poor server usually completely melts under this kind of load.

Typical morning at Valve:

"Gaben."

"Grunt."

(Repeat until one of you gets tired.)

This made me lol

def sim

Their "stats" page shows logged in users that keep a bit of a different schedule, but if their servers that are handling user load are the same servers handling their website, this system simply wasn't designed correctly. However, that appears to be the case since when their website goes down, it also kicks people off of Steam.

*sigh* I could do a lot of great things at Valve if given the chance.

but then who would give us all this info!? I'm rooting for you, shackles.

Knurek

Yay for Danmaku Unlimited 2. Best thing on Steam until Cave comes to their senses and ports their games.

Boo for Steam being constantly down. Honestly, didn't Valve switch to a different CDN lately? Why are there so many outages?

Darkroronoa

Ok, question!
Should i buy dragon age ultimate edition or just buy the base game and save 2 euros (and buy prince of persia)?
Keep in mind that i will probably dont bother with the expansion, i rarely do with any game expansion, but if there is any good reason please tell me (like enhanced base version or i dont get the ending on base game or something).

Twinduct

Man Steam be a temperamental fuck lately.
Anybody have a fancy trick to get yourself into playing your backlog/ present library?
My steam usage has gone from 30 hours a week to less than 1 for the last few months.

Yay for Danmaku Unlimited 2. Best thing on Steam until Cave comes to their senses and ports their games.

Boo for Steam being constantly down. Honestly, didn't Valve switch to a different CDN lately? Why are there so many outages?

Again -- if you're familiar with DU2, any idea on how to actually make it "fully support" controllers?

dreamfall

Strange dilemmas deciding whether or not to buy DA Complete to have on Steam.

I mean, as much as I dislike Origin, it seems like every new, major EA release will be there. But I'd like the comfort of taking screens to upload to Steam, and just launching it from that platform. First world problems :/

jshackles

Have you considered cloud hosting or a load balancer? Or would that be cost-prohibitive?

I already have a cloud-based CDN delivering static pages such as the home page, so that's not much of an issue. The API server (that gets things like price history and other data from our servers) serves the content dynamically so it's difficult to cache.

The only thing I could really do to increase the reliability at this point to where it's needed is to purchase a dedicated server with better specs than the one I have now. I'm already paying about $60 a month for the server/hosting/bandwidth, and the next "tier" up from there is about $120 a month.

I need to organize some sort of donation drive. :D

def sim

Strange dilemmas deciding whether or not to buy DA Complete to have on Steam.

I mean, as much as I dislike Origin, it seems like every new, major EA release will be there. But I'd like the comfort of taking screens to upload to Steam, and just launching it from that platform. First world problems :/

You can add non-Steam games to the client and use the library, overlay, and screenshot feature just as you would any other steam game!

zkylon

zkylewd
I already have a cloud-based CDN delivering static pages such as the home page, so that's not much of an issue. The API server (that gets things like price history and other data from our servers) serves the content dynamically so it's difficult to cache.

The only thing I could really do to increase the reliability at this point to where it's needed is to purchase a dedicated server with better specs than the one I have now. I'm already paying about $60 a month for the server/hosting/bandwidth, and the next "tier" up from there is about $120 a month.

I need to organize some sort of donation drive. :D
you might be able to patreon it pretty easilyt

Man Steam be a temperamental fuck lately.
Anybody have a fancy trick to get yourself into playing your backlog/ present library?
My steam usage has gone from 30 hours a week to less than 1 for the last few months.

The store has been flaky for me but it hasn't interfered with my ability to play any of my games but I've mostly been playing Diablo 3 since Loot 2.0 was released with a game of Civ V being played in short bursts in between. Never played the Huns much and I was shocked at how quickly their battering rams level cities. You just need two rams and one melee unit and you can take any early game city in a turn or two as India and Brazil sadly discovered. They had the misfortune of being my neighbour. I used freedom to rush an early settler to make a fuck you city near India's capital before I bum rushed their empire. Next time I play the Huns I'll forgo any real city/empire development, rush the Honor policy track, spawn three battering rams and a couple of primitive melee units and take over as much of the early world as I can.

So, uhh, my advice is to install Civ V with G&K and BNW, I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom