• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdmondD

Had a Steam beta update completely break Steam yesterday. After the update when I tried to run Steam I got steam fatal error: failed to load steamui.dll. I was pretty pissed but fortunately I googled it and found a solution. Downloaded the Steam installer from the Steam website and ran it without uninstalling Steam. Fixed it right up. Now it's running fine.

I understand the risks of beta. I know they can be unstable but this was a bit ridiculous. I opted out of the beta as fast as I could. That's the last time I ever try a beta on Steam.

thanks, zkylon.

xenus looks insane. you can ride a shark, and the gunfighting looks like its out of Hot Shots. And Precursors has the trajectory of Spore. what the hell did I just watch.

Arthea

I guess this is a good time to ask, are there any other eastern european games I should check out that are similarly overlooked? I've been mildly obsessed with this locale's release lately.

I'm not really an expert too, but most famous would be:
Metro
Stalker
Witcher
Two Worlds
Call of Juarez
Dead Island
Earth 21nn
Anomaly games
Hard Reset
Painkiller (don't buy those if you wanna my opinion)
Serious Sam
King's Bounty (buy all of those)
Machinarium
Cargo (I bought it today, it has to be even weirder than Void lol)
Killing floor

and I'm sure there are hundreds I'm forgetting!
even more not on steam

edited: oh how could I forget! beloved steamgaf sim - Euro Truck Simulator too
edit2: forgot Mafia too, oh well, there are too many of them to name, actually

I went to the west coast so I got my timezones mixed up and forgot to last minute buy the daily from yesterday.

I mean I already forgot what it was, but I'm still disappointed.

aku:jiki

Geez, PayPal's sale is running for two months?! The extreme length of the sale, and who's running it, means that I'm going to assume that it's a crap sale where anything decent is like 5% off at best. Would be cool to be surprised, though...

Parsnip

Watched a little bit of Ground Zeroes quicklook on GB. And man, some of that foliage and terrain detail pops in real close to the camera.

It's not coming to PC at all (not yet at least), shame.

i don't disagree on the second sentence :p

but yea, it's a weird game, probably really love it/hate it but even if you end up hating it it's pretty gorgeous to look at, at least?

it's also got a couple easy mods to make it a little less punishing which are really good and fair

Yeah, I agree with that.

I've heard about the difficulty mod and maybe that'll get me to check it out again one day.

Tellaerin

the precursors and the xenus series by deep shadows are two far cry 2/stalker-esque fpses which are kind of the very definition of overambitious. they have like a million extra features each, with tons of quests (a lot of them very fun), a small perk-like leveling system, reputation systems with different factions, driving various types of vehicles, all of that stuff, but then like in the precursors you can also jump in a spaceship and now it's suddenly a sort of space combat game and you travel between different planets doing quests but also shooting at space pirates and aliens and trading and all sorts of crap. it's pretty insane

Why is The Precursors not on Steam? ; ; That sounds amazing.

Edit: I just read this RPS piece about The Precursors.

Rock said:
The general jerkiness of performance made some fights a special kind of grind, and I had to put on my mirror-shades of journalistic determination to get through them. But the nature of the world means that even these issues start to erode when you see what is possible within the tools that you are provided with. In one fight, for example, I was ambushed by bandits. These buggers were a scripted event, but on the second time we fought they managed to accidentally aggro some kind of desert-gorilla lizards that I’d been in a fight with previously. Being outgunned by both sides, I jumped in a jeep, let the gorillas kill the bandits, and then ran over the gorillas in the jeep. Then I got down to looting. (Everyone and everything in Precursors can be looted.) I’m not saying these kinds of situations arise all the time in Precursors, just that it’s a wide open enough game in places that they can happen.

My frothing demand for this game increases! >.>

Knurek

I'm not really an expert too, but most famous would be:
Metro
Stalker
(...)

Kind of nitpicky, but people here (and I guess that's true for our southern neighbors as well) are more likely to think of being in Central Europe. Eastern would be countries like Belarus, Ukraine, Russia.

UnrealEck

Seeing as so many people use paypal for their steam purchases, why not? From their point of view, why make a small transaction cost when you can get an actual share as a seller? 30% (if like Steam) + their transaction cost (because it's paypal and they will charge you fee because they're
pieces of shit
a business) and maximize dat profit .

I never thought of that. Good point. PayPal is offered as a payment method on Steam.

Arthea

Kind of nitpicky, but people here (and I guess that's true for our southern neighbors as well) are more likely to think of being in Central Europe. Eastern would be countries like Belarus, Ukraine, Russia.

Oh OK, will keep that in mind. I don't really ever gave much thought to it. So you gotta give me credit that I'm not naming Swedish or Finnish games. It never was clear to me which part of Europe was considered what, except for south and north, as that is very obvious.

zkylon

zkylewd
thanks, zkylon.

xenus looks insane. you can ride a shark, and the gunfighting looks like its out of Hot Shots. And Precursors has the trajectory of Spore. what the hell did I just watch.
Why is The Precursors not on Steam? ; ; That sounds amazing.

Edit: I just read this RPS piece about The Precursors. My frothing demand for this game increases! >.>
i dunno why it isn't on steam, but pathologic isn't either and they're both in gamersgate so it makes me think there's some weird cis thing with steam that maybe gg doesn't care about?

i dunno

in any case a fun trivia about the precursors is that they didn't have money to do a full english dubbing so the only things that has voices are a few selected cutscenes and it was all done by (of all people), the dvd printer that made all the copies for the game, with hilarious results

edit: these guys also made the very hilarious boiling point: road to hell, which is basically the prequel to xenus 2, which had some of the funniest patchnotes of all times. like grenades exploding before being thrown, flying cougars, people falling off the floor on multiple-storied buildings and moer.

Yeah, I agree with that.

I've heard about the difficulty mod and maybe that'll get me to check it out again one day.
it's a unique game that really demands you make the effort to understand it, that it's 'thing'. it doesn't really care about you and if you don't get it and you lose then the game will just shrug.

but if you get it and start making progress and get involved in its story (which is really really really well tied into its mechanics) you start feeling so in control that the game becomes super rewarding. like you now have the keys to the game and can push it in whichever direction you want. it's not all quite like that but you still have a pretty big amount of freedom as to how you do stuff since the game while pretty linear it's also really open in your relationships with the characters, who (whom?) do you kill, who (whom?) do you embrace and whatnot

Knurek

Oh OK, will keep that in mind. I don't really ever gave much thought to it. So you gotta give me credit that I'm not naming Swedish or Finnish games. It never was clear to me which part of Europe was considered what, except for south and north, as that is very obvious.

No worries, it's just that after 50 years of Soviet 'protection', East tends to have a rather bad connotation in former Warsaw Pact countries.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
So, I just bought Assassin's Creed II and i'm having some problems with it. It's Ubisoft, no suprise there, but I was wondering if someone here knows something about this and/or a fix or whatever. :)

The game runs weird. Running at a steady 60 with everything on the highest and lowest settings, but it stutters on both. Turning V-Sync off fixes it, but the tearing is just unplayable.

And like the first minute of playing it's at a steady 58FPS, so I tried locking it to that, but the stutter remains. The framerate stay's put though, so that's not it.

zkylon

zkylewd
from zkylon's description, The Precursors sounds almost like the best game ever. It would be nice to have it on steam.
yea i mean, i want to underline the "over" part of overambitious. like to put it midly it's not the finest rendition of a first person shooting experience ever made lol

or even a decent space sim

but it's still pretty hilariously fun because of how dumb it is for them to try and make all of that crap work and how they sort of get away with it? and that coupled with the super rough translation of an already goofy script to being with and it's just really fun to play.

everything about these games is ridiculous. like they released xenus 2 and the precursors the same exact day on the western world which is really hilarious considering they're kind of competitors since they basically play exactly the same (tho no space sim on xenus 2 but i hear it has better mechanics?).

like crap like that just cracks me up and i'm having a blast just thinking about it

So, I just bought Assassin's Creed II and i'm having some problems with it. It's Ubisoft, no suprise there, but I was wondering if someone here knows something about this and/or a fix or whatever. :)

The game runs weird. Running at a steady 60 with everything on the highest and lowest settings, but it stutters on both. Turning V-Sync off fixes it, but the tearing is just unplayable.

And like the first minute of playing it's at a steady 58FPS, so I tried locking it to that, but the stutter remains. The framerate stay's put though, so that's not it.

I can't offer any help but I have the same issue with Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. Runs butter smooth for the first minute or two and then the framerate goes to hell, regardless of quality settings. The only explanation I could come up with was that since the game runs on the Unreal Engine, I was thinking maybe it runs smooth because it hadn't loaded the higher-res textures yet, and once those all get loaded in, my PC can't handle it.

Have you tried vsync off in game, but forced through your graphics card control panel? That often helps if the implementation is borked.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I can't offer any help but I have the same issue with Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. Runs butter smooth for the first minute or two and then the framerate goes to hell, regardless of quality settings. The only explanation I could come up with was that since the game runs on the Unreal Engine, I was thinking maybe it runs smooth because it hadn't loaded the higher-res textures yet, and once those all get loaded in, my PC can't handle it.
Ugh... I love PC gaming, but I hate shit like this. All that fiddling around and not knowing where the issues are coming from.

Or, well, in AC's case i'm have some idea. It's called Ubisoft. :p
Have you tried vsync off in game, but forced through your graphics card control panel? That often helps if the implementation is borked.
Tried it and didn't help a bit, but thanks anyway. :)

Sarcasm

So I just got three Dead Island Epidemic in my inventory. There is no word Beta in them, is this the actual game? I thought it was going to be F2P..what do I have?

ibbpamln7scK8t.PNG

Also steam keeps doing this "Not responding" even though I wasn't doing anything with it. Than when it finishes that it auto-closes...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm probably LTTP on this, but is the Enhanced Steam price checker not working?

It should be working, but there have been a lot of users on the server today and it's crashed like twice already :(

It works for me?

Though if he finally added the "not your native language" check/switch I haven't seen it.

That's coming in version 6.0, releasing soon.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

I played through it recently on PC and also had a stuttering problem, nothing game breaking though.Did some research on it and apparently you have to downgrade your graphics card drivers to fix the problem (which isn't worth the trouble imo). Just play with the settings of your video card's control panel and you could probably improve the perfomance a bit

For anyone that cannot get Danmaku to work with a controller:

open up a run dialog box in windows.
type 'joy.cpl'
make sure your gamepad is shown. select it. select advanced... (I think) and make it the preferred device.

Now you have a controller that works in a pretty cool shmup.

Danmaku is also 20% off. Go buy it. It's <$4, I think.

Sarcasm

So my steam is useless. I start it and let it sit and it goes unresponsive..for a few minutes. Than it closes by itself and on the system tray I mouse over the icon and that goes away. Endless loop =(

How to fix my steam?

Tizoc

Oh come on Groupees, add an extra bonus to the Build a Bundle! Like one of those new RPG maker games on Steam atm!

zkylon

zkylewd
So my steam is useless. I start it and let it sit and it goes unresponsive..for a few minutes. Than it closes by itself and on the system tray I mouse over the icon and that goes away. Endless loop =(

How to fix my steam?

just move to origin

it's the only sensible thing to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom