• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man Steam be a temperamental fuck lately.
Anybody have a fancy trick to get yourself into playing your backlog/ present library?
My steam usage has gone from 30 hours a week to less than 1 for the last few months.

I just pick at random and give it at least 30 minutes. If a game doesn't grab me by then (and if I don't think I'd ever bother 100%-ing the achievements if there any), then I toss it in a Junk category.

Knurek

Again -- if you're familiar with DU2, any idea on how to actually make it "fully support" controllers?

It works out of the box with my XINPUT Logitech, does not seem to work with DualShock2 (haven't tried x360ce).
It's quite annoying that the game doesn't save config on exit - setting screen resolution and fullscreen/window mode every time I run the game gets bothersome fast. Hopefully the dev patches the game.

ngt

I've been searching for a while now, but I can't find anywhere in the code so far that sets this preference in your cookies.

I would give you my cookies to analyze but it I don't have any. My settings stay the same even when I delete all personal files or start a private browsing. If you need anything from me, just let me know, I'll try to help.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
you might be able to patreon it pretty easilyt

Cool, I didn't know about that site, I might check it out.

For a long while I thought about making a "paid" version of Enhanced Steam that would include the features used by the API as a way of covering the costs associated with running it. In the end, I decided that everyone should have the same set of features regardless of whether they could afford to pay or not.

So the problem I'm seeing with Patreon is that it uses a "tiered" system like Kickstarter. For the reasons stated above, I can't offer people more Enhanced Steam features for donating, but maybe I could do something cool like Enhanced Steam t-shirts or something.

The_Monk

I'm wondering if I should start saving for a new set of speakers. I have these for so many years and they survived great so far, I'm surprised. But now, they choose to increase and decrease the volume at random times which is horrible for intense games or videos. I mean, I'm trying to relax to some Zen music and then MASSIVE INCREASE OF MUSIC and then...very, very low volume...

For reference they are the Creative 2.1 T3030:

j93FAMR.jpg

I want some clean minimalist speakers but I've been so out of touch with speakers that I don't even know what's "good" and what can I get for a small-medium price range.

EDIT: I'm going to unscrew this Volume controller thing to see if I can fix it.
EDIT2: No results.

For a long while I thought about making a "paid" version of Enhanced Steam that would include the features used by the API as a way of covering the costs associated with running it. In the end, I decided that everyone should have the same set of features regardless of whether they could afford to pay or not.

So the problem I'm seeing with Patreon is that it uses a "tiered" system like Kickstarter. For the reasons stated above, I can't offer people more Enhanced Steam features for donating, but maybe I could do something cool like Enhanced Steam t-shirts or something.

There's also Subbable, where people can voluntarily subscribe monthly to something. Though typically when I hear about Subbable it's for YouTube channels. It might work for this though.

zkylon

zkylewd

well i've seen people do things like google hangouts to discuss new features or ideas or something like that, have access to nightly builds, some sort of developer blog, etc.

i think you could probably get away with just a barebones "gimme whatever you want and i'll thank you foreverz!" type of deal since you don't really need all that much money and people are already pretty appreciative of your work

edit: like this girl has just two options: "no reward" and "postcard thingie" and is making like 1.5k a month (tho she's pretty popular from doing some league of legends stuff)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
The Animal Simulator Fad has begun! Bear Simulator has hit Kickstarter! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1330754003/bear-simulator?ref=discovery

The developers make a good point.

There's been a disturbing trend in games of late. Just take a look at this chart:

c4c2a357c24e7d0bb311372ce2ac3f13_large.png

Notice something? Sure these games are popular and you might even call them "fun" but they harbor a horrible bias in today’s gaming world. Most are blind to it but it's all right there, that's right, none of these games has you playing as a bear.

It's quite clear the fat cats in Washington with their stove top hats and contemporary jazz music don't want us playing as bears, it's about time to fight back against the tyranny.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
games!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Huntsman: The Orphanage -- MB-79722A043C0D814D - Taken by natertots. 3 entrants total.
Bionic Dues -- MB-18CA0A515B816BB9 - Taken by Kuroyume. 4 entrants total.
Gravity Badgers -- MB-8943FC2D8B190C76 - Taken by Leg-End. 1 entrants total.
Knytt Underground -- MB-85E46BD555A8DADF - Taken by adriano999. 5 entrants total.
Holy Avatar vs. Maidens of the Dead -- MB-C3C2D02A8ABC5812 - Taken by Deques. 8 entrants total.
Kairo -- MB-3AED33DE766635D7 - Taken by EdmondD. 5 entrants total.
Not The Robots -- MB-AB39A644368E2C7E - Taken by bkw. 4 entrants total.
Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold -- MB-746335FC4B37C657 - Taken by trailmix16. 3 entrants total.

t1395177257z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gravity Badgers -- MB-6DD4BE7DC83F9695 - Taken by Divius

Terra_Ex

The Animal Simulator Fad has begun! Bear Simulator has hit Kickstarter! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1330754003/bear-simulator?ref=discovery

Their kickstarter island idea is comic gold:
Alright, this sounds a little strange but I'm 80% sure it will turn out fantastic. Since I'm using Kickstarter and needed some interesting, lower tier pledge rewards, why not feature a region dedicated to these things? Boom, right here, Kickstarter Island.

Available for all to explore and existing outside the realm of the somewhat realistic Bear Simulator world, the island will be similar to an amusement park allowing for the creative freedom to host plenty of nonsensical things. This means a bunch of backer submitted stuff can be incorporated in a way that won't break the immersion.

zkylon

zkylewd
the void for 1 buck is a ridiculous good sale sale

it's an amazing game with barely any eastern european clunkiness but all of the insane unrestrained ingenuity we've come to expect from them. it's really evocative and very strange, i really like how it makes a mystery about how it's supposed to be played for you to unravel and it ties it all up so neatly with story and gameplay and design.

really a fantastic game

edit: here's a link to the easy/normal difficulty mods: http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?p=101816#p101816. i suggest people just start the game straight on with the normal difficulty mod. the game is still pretty challenging, just a lot more forgiving in a good way

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
more games!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Winter Voices Prologue: Avalanche -- MB-0B2DE64F640142F1 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 6 entrants total.
Winter Voices Episode 1: Those who have no name -- MB-DBE9838B858F6CED - Taken by Annubis. 2 entrants total.
Clickr -- MB-D06C5C2C5914FFC7 - Taken by Ingueferroque. 5 entrants total.
Silent Storm Gold Edition -- MB-398989FBB588FB0A - Taken by Last Baron. 5 entrants total.
Highborn -- MB-665B3B64C8440EEA - Taken by Evrain. 7 entrants total.

t1395177938z1.png

the void for 1 buck is a ridiculous good sale sale

it's an amazing game with barely any eastern european clunkiness but all of the insane unrestrained ingenuity we've come to expect from them. it's really evocative and very strange, i really like how it makes a mystery about how it's supposed to be played for you to unravel and it ties it all up so neatly with story and gameplay and design.

really a fantastic game

I thought it was really awful. One of the most confusing games I have ever played.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Zafehouse Diaries -- MB-327EEA7DB14C0AB9 - Taken by Sub Zero. 11 entrants total.
Clickr -- MB-8D75A1C0351D978A - Taken by Scipius. 6 entrants total.

t1395178028z1.png

really a fantastic game

I guess this is a good time to ask, are there any other eastern european games I should check out that are similarly overlooked? I've been mildly obsessed with this locale's release lately.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I vaguely remember some people saying Sands of Time actually sucks, but I forget the reasons. Anyone here know?

rtcn63

I'm wondering if I should start saving for a new set of speakers. I have these for so many years and they survived great so far, I'm surprised. But now, they choose to increase and decrease the volume at random times which is horrible for intense games or videos. I mean, I'm trying to relax to some Zen music and then MASSIVE INCREASE OF MUSIC and then...very, very low volume...

Audioengine A2 maybe? Your options are limited for inexpensive powered bookshelf speakers, unless you consider DIY'ing your own and hooking up a separate amplifier.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VKEFN2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

A2+ (no idea what the difference is)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQMJE7E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Arthea

blink bundle surprises me every time, by amount of games in bundles I don't have. It slowly becomes my favourite, although groupees still are pretty sweet.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
blink bundle surprises me every time, by amount of games in bundles I don't have. It slowly becomes my favourite, although groupees still are pretty sweet.

Groupees, Blink Bundle, and Bundlestars are my favorites.

Groupees have good variety, pick-your-games bundles, and are very fast at getting keys for games that get added to Steam.

Blink has fantastic value and an interesting selection, a good variety of good games for good value.

Bundlestars know their niches, and offer great value too for what I like to call underdog games or genres, and they last a while too.

Sajjaja

Looks like PayPal are about to join into the PC gaming sales:

https://www.paypal.fr/gamingsale/

Seeing as so many people use paypal for their steam purchases, why not? From their point of view, why make a small transaction cost when you can get an actual share as a seller? 30% (if like Steam) + their transaction cost (because it's paypal and they will charge you fee because they're
pieces of shit
a business) and maximize dat profit .

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
hey The_Super_Inframan, thanks for Zafehouse Diaries. You saved me 2 bucks because it's the only game I wanted from that bundle :)

zkylon

zkylewd
I thought it was really awful. One of the most confusing games I have ever played.
i don't disagree on the second sentence :p

but yea, it's a weird game, probably really love it/hate it but even if you end up hating it it's pretty gorgeous to look at, at least?

it's also got a couple easy mods to make it a little less punishing which are really good and fair

I guess this is a good time to ask, are there any other eastern european games I should check out that are similarly overlooked? I've been mildly obsessed with this locale's release lately.
i can't think of many more, the two big eastern european games for me are stalker soc and the void, but here's a couple

there's pathologic by the same guys but that game is pretty fucking weird to the point it's kind of unplayable without making monumental efforts. it's written like weird dreamlike russian poetry that went through google translate or something, which gives a very gibberish-like result but it kinda works for the game since everything about it is so bizarre. it's not on steam but it's on gamersgate and i think desura too

those guys also released knock-knock on kickstarter a while ago and i've heard a lot of people loving it but it was kind of too frustrating on release (i hear they patched it a bit to make it less punishing) so it might be good to check it out.

the precursors and the xenus series by deep shadows are two far cry 2/stalker-esque fpses which are kind of the very definition of overambitious. they have like a million extra features each, with tons of quests (a lot of them very fun), a small perk-like leveling system, reputation systems with different factions, driving various types of vehicles, all of that stuff, but then like in the precursors you can also jump in a spaceship and now it's suddenly a sort of space combat game and you travel between different planets doing quests but also shooting at space pirates and aliens and trading and all sorts of crap. it's pretty insane

can't think many more, not really an xpert in the field

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom