• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Started playing The Swapper today, what an amazing game.
Challenging puzzles, great atmosphere, tight controls, cool presentation and just that little of story information to keep me wanting to progress more to find out more.
Hope it holds up like this until the end.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I had the Doctor Who Adventure Game show up in my games list today out of the blue, I didn't buy it and I didn't get a notification it was a gift. WTF?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Oh come on Groupees, add an extra bonus to the Build a Bundle! Like one of those new RPG maker games on Steam atm!

Speaking of RPGMaker games, are there any impressions of Last Dream or The Book of Legends (other than LD having RTP)? Tempted to pick them up.

Turfster

So my steam is useless. I start it and let it sit and it goes unresponsive..for a few minutes. Than it closes by itself and on the system tray I mouse over the icon and that goes away. Endless loop =(

How to fix my steam?

If nothing else works, delete all the files in the steam dir except the exe (possibly make a backup copy first, and don't touch the subdirs)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Remember with Prince of Persia 2008 that it's not a "you can't die and therefore it's too easy" game, it's a "go for perfect parkour runs and not mess up" almost like a rhythm game or doing great at a Batman Arkham combat (in terms of how it feels to get the actions done right, they don't share combat at all) moment where it all goes correctly and not a flaw was to be seen. Aye you aren't penalised greatly for messing up, but it's better looking and more satisfying when it get it done exactly right and can maintain a good sense of speed running from area to area.

Look around the world. It's a beautiful world, especially once all the colour comes through. Not just at the stage level, but the background, the small little touches of flowers in a recess of a cliff, the vistas through a haze, the sun shining, and so forth.

Also I highly suggest and recommend, using that talk button between the Prince and Elika often through the game. I found the title to be one of the best platonic relationships in videogames story and dialogue wise, and it's because of the chatter between the two as you go through the game. They start off as complete strangers and as time goes on grow closer and closer to each other where a pivotal scene of trust is made so much better by the player noticing they have actually shared each other's thoughts and opinions with each other.

Lastly, and I am in the minority in this, but I recommend playing right to when the credits end. To me it's a far more poignant story without the very last "moment" that tries to be a hook for a sequel, and no to the epilogue at all.
I really want to play this one, but I have to force myself through Warrior Within (seriously disliked it back then, and I never finished it as a result) and play Two Thrones before that. And with Sands of Time not being as good as I remembered (oh nostalgia, you bitch) I don't feel like doing it anytime soon.

Sarcasm

Yea now after the 15th time it is causing my computer to lock up.

What is this I don't even...

Will screw you too steam I am not starting you up for awhile.

EdmondD

I was thinking about buying Shadow Warrior trying to sell cards and CS:GO stuff to get enough money. Turns out it is even cheaper on Amazon. Currently it's $7.99. Other good deals too including Final Fantasy 14 for $15.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
the void for 1 buck is a ridiculous good sale sale

it's an amazing game with barely any eastern european clunkiness but all of the insane unrestrained ingenuity we've come to expect from them. it's really evocative and very strange, i really like how it makes a mystery about how it's supposed to be played for you to unravel and it ties it all up so neatly with story and gameplay and design.

really a fantastic game

edit: here's a link to the easy/normal difficulty mods: http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?p=101816#p101816. i suggest people just start the game straight on with the normal difficulty mod. the game is still pretty challenging, just a lot more forgiving in a good way
I've yet to try this game. I'm thinking of starting LA Noire tonight, and maybe when I'm done with it (or get bored, from what I've heard) I'll give it a chance.

So I vaguely remember some people saying Sands of Time actually sucks, but I forget the reasons. Anyone here know?
Combat, it's horrible. I didn't recall being so frustrated and annoyed by it when I first played it, but I definitely felt that during my replay last year. The platforming is still fantastic, and the story is nice, although the English voices are impossible to hear due to the volume being extremely badly leveled, and there's no subtitles (that wasn't the case when I played it in Spanish back then). It's still a good game, but not much more than that, sadly. Personally I'd rather not have replayed it.

Turfster

The user reviews on Steam talk about tons of bugs, is that the reason or is it just rubbish?

I tried to play the OG iPad version. I lasted about 20 minutes. It was fucking garbage.
Maybe it's better with actual, you know, controls, but going by what people are saying, I doubt it's gotten much better.

Knurek

I really want to play this one, but I have to force myself through Warrior Within (seriously disliked it back then, and I never finished it as a result) and play Two Thrones before that. And with Sands of Time not being as good as I remembered (oh nostalgia, you bitch) I don't feel like doing it anytime soon.

2008 is not in any way connected to Sands of Time trilogy... well, the donkey is named the same as the Princess in those games, other than that, it's completely separated. You're good to go (and the game is quite good, double dipped during the sale since the version I bought originally has stupid Polish voice-overs, which kill the immersion).

Also, Warrior Within was an amazing metroidvania long before metroidvanias were popular.

Anyways, wrapped up Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. While the gameplay parts were not really that great (auto-platforming was absolutely unnecessary in the game, at least let me press some button to have the brothers jump), the world/environment design, music and atmosphere (can't really say the game had a story) were great. Reminded me of ICO mixed up with Grimm brothers fables.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
2008 is not in any way connected to Sands of Time trilogy... well, the donkey is named the same as the Princess in those games, other than that, it's completely separated. You're good to go (and the game is quite good, double dipped during the sale since the version I bought originally has stupid Polish voice-overs, which kill the immersion).

Also, Warrior Within was an amazing metroidvania long before metroidvanias were popular.
There's a donkey named Farah? lol

I have a little problem where I like to play franchises I own in release order. It's not too bad if I don't own all the games (though there are exceptions, like The Darkness 2), and I managed to fight it with Tomb Raider 2013. Perhaps I can do the same with this game.

And no, Warrior Within was a terrible game after the (at the time) goodness that was Sands of Time. I hated the Spanish voices and combat, and getting lost with no idea of where to go. Stopped playing it pretty early and never felt the urge to come back.

Turfster

Warrior Within was easy when I played it for the first time 10 years ago.
Tried replaying it earlier this year and I was immediately lost.
The main problem I had with it was the bugs, really, especially in the Dahaka chase sections.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gravity Badgers [Steam] -- MB-9F2EC4C4A91C2501 - Taken by TuckingFypo

Copons

Remember with Prince of Persia 2008 that it's not a "you can't die and therefore it's too easy" game, it's a "go for perfect parkour runs and not mess up" almost like a rhythm game or doing great at a Batman Arkham combat (in terms of how it feels to get the actions done right, they don't share combat at all) moment where it all goes correctly and not a flaw was to be seen. Aye you aren't penalised greatly for messing up, but it's better looking and more satisfying when it get it done exactly right and can maintain a good sense of speed running from area to area.

Look around the world. It's a beautiful world, especially once all the colour comes through. Not just at the stage level, but the background, the small little touches of flowers in a recess of a cliff, the vistas through a haze, the sun shining, and so forth.

Also I highly suggest and recommend, using that talk button between the Prince and Elika often through the game. I found the title to be one of the best platonic relationships in videogames story and dialogue wise, and it's because of the chatter between the two as you go through the game. They start off as complete strangers and as time goes on grow closer and closer to each other where a pivotal scene of trust is made so much better by the player noticing they have actually shared each other's thoughts and opinions with each other.

Lastly, and I am in the minority in this, but I recommend playing right to when the credits end. To me it's a far more poignant story without the very last "moment" that tries to be a hook for a sequel, and no to the epilogue at all.

Hell yes, I quote it all!

I always had to fight against everyone saying it's too easy and blah blah blah, when instead it was a great experience overall, and if one wants a hard game there are plenty out there to pick.

Now, as I already have the (PS3 I believe, but I'm too tired to get up and go checking my shelves :D ) amazingly beautiful collector's edition, the one metal black with the blue graphic, is the PC port worth the 2€ it costs?
I mean: no uPlay, no fucked up stuff, good res and everything else is in the right place?

EDIT: also FFS while I was in Berlin I missed the CSGO sale (apparently it was just 2€ here in EU2 land :'( )... is there some place where I could amend my faults?

r3n4ud

EDIT: also FFS while I was in Berlin I missed the CSGO sale (apparently it was just 2€ here in EU2 land :'( )... is there some place where I could amend my faults?
Hey man, get in line! I missed the sale as well :/. I asked yesterday if anyone had an extra copy to sell, but was denied.

MUnited83

For you.
ModBot said:
Instructions for BernardoOne:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bionic Dues -- MB-BE09C401411590FA - Taken by TuckingFypo. 8 entrants total.
Gravity Badgers -- MB-BE09C401411590FA - Taken by TuckingFypo. 8 entrants total.

t1395191118z1.png
Enjoy !

Adnor

Banned
Seeing the sales I remembered that I got a PoP: The Forgotten Sands key when I bought my graphic card, so I'm installing it now. I... I just installed uPlay.
I feel dirty.

Seeing the sales I remembered that I got a PoP: The Forgotten Sands key when I bought my graphic card, so I'm installing it now. I... I just installed uPlay.
I feel dirty.

I liked that game. I'd probably place it between Sands of Time and 2008, then Two Thrones, and Warrior Within last.

That game is cool though.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
The market is completely bugged for me, I have items on display that I already sold, like 20 items and I cannot remove them, I'm OCDing over this.

Sarcasm

Using installer or deleting some files but exe and apps does not fix my steam.

As of now I can't access my games what-so-ever...lol

RAGE

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
well you'll prolly be done with it by tomorrow :p
Is it that boring and repetitive? Or are you implying my attention span is awfully short? Because if it's the latter, you are right. Anyway, there's no point in posponing the inevitable any further. Guess it's time to start the game now.

In an hour or two, of course.

wow there's actually 4 in argieland: https://cafe.steampowered.com/directory.php?country=AR&state=Show All

one of them in buenos aires, a couple blocks from my place

gonna stop by see what it's like

http://www.geeklounge.com.ar/gl.html

What the hell? Man, a couple of friends are ABOUT to open a gaming bar. Damn, I didn't know they would have competition :/

zkylon

zkylewd
Is it that boring and repetitive? Or are you implying my attention span is awfully short? Because if it's the latter, you are right. Anyway, there's no point in posponing the inevitable any further. Guess it's time to start the game now.

In an hour or two, of course.
actually i haven't played it but i heard bad things :p

http://www.geeklounge.com.ar/gl.html

What the hell? Man, a couple of friends are ABOUT to open a gaming bar. Damn, I didn't know they would have competition :/
wherever fernet's cheaper (free's preferably)

i'll be there

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
With a little luck I'm gonna have a friendship discount (which is to say, I'll get drinks for free). If not, I'm totally going to support the other bar and ruin my friends'!

Still don't know if they are going to try to make a deal with Valve or something. Is there an easy way something like that could be done? Does the cybercafe program still work? Or maybe they should get an individual account for each PC and buy a copy of every game they want to have for each one.

Extras! I got two more Dead Island Epidemic beta codes as well so I threw them in as well.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Huntsman: The Orphanage -- MB-76ED34122EBF88C6 - Taken by CheesecakeRecipe
Bionic Dues -- MB-33AA616E40F70206 - Taken by Shalashaska
Dead Island: Epidemic #2 -- MB-C5241AF0631DDF9E - Taken by cardinalmind
Dead Island: Epidemic #1 -- MB-6124ED146AC5E46B - Taken by fuzzy123

Tecl0n

wow there's actually 4 in argieland: https://cafe.steampowered.com/directory.php?country=AR&state=Show All

one of them in buenos aires, a couple blocks from my place

gonna stop by see what it's like

That's very near FCE, i'll drop by sometime.

I remember a few friends having a similar idea, the costs were out of this world.

wherever fernet's cheaper (free's preferably)
i'll be there

A man of taste.

gabbo

i dunno why it isn't on steam, but pathologic isn't either and they're both in gamersgate so it makes me think there's some weird cis thing with steam that maybe gg doesn't care about?

i dunno

in any case a fun trivia about the precursors is that they didn't have money to do a full english dubbing so the only things that has voices are a few selected cutscenes and it was all done by (of all people), the dvd printer that made all the copies for the game, with hilarious results

edit: these guys also made the very hilarious boiling point: road to hell, which is basically the prequel to xenus 2, which had some of the funniest patchnotes of all times. like grenades exploding before being thrown, flying cougars, people falling off the floor on multiple-storied buildings and moer.

it's a unique game that really demands you make the effort to understand it, that it's 'thing'. it doesn't really care about you and if you don't get it and you lose then the game will just shrug.

but if you get it and start making progress and get involved in its story (which is really really really well tied into its mechanics) you start feeling so in control that the game becomes super rewarding. like you now have the keys to the game and can push it in whichever direction you want. it's not all quite like that but you still have a pretty big amount of freedom as to how you do stuff since the game while pretty linear it's also really open in your relationships with the characters, who (whom?) do you kill, who (whom?) do you embrace and whatnot

Part of the problem with at least Precursors is that it's unoptimized as all get out, at least in my experience.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I remember a few friends having a similar idea, the costs were out of this world.
I think they are expensive in terms of an average salary, but not much when compared with other investments. Apparently the mother of one of the guys (the one who's not a friend of mine) provided most of the cash, like over 80% of it (number pulled out of my ass, from what I remember my friend telling me less than 2 months ago).

They were planning to open it last month, but they had some delays and now I don't know what's the ETA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom