• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

That's where Valve is steering the ship to. I expect it to happen some time this year, or early next, now that people can report apps.

yeah, gabe even said it recently

I just wonder 2 things:

1) will I be able to keep up and differentiate with the actually interesting releases assuming less gaming time as I get older

2) will you get a nervous breakdown from trying to own everything when 100 garbage games come out every day

Firehead

man what even are these games

coming back from vacation made me realize that steam might as well be a self-publishing thing by now. I missed a few days and there's already hundreds of those "I've got 50 extras from a bundle" bland name things, and since I missed their exact launch date now they're just fodder no one cares about

edit: don't mean to shit on the above gifts, you guys hopefully know what I mean

Something about the infamous EA quote about Steam sales devaluing intellectual properties ringing true, but it wasn't Steam sales that did it; it was the indie bundles and the greenlight system.

Braag

No, the game doesn't end on a cliffhanger. It resolves its story in an interesting way to say the least. From what I have been told by people who played the DLC it retroactively ruins the story, or at least the ending, of PoP2008 and if you don't play it/watch what happens, consider yourself lucky, especially if a sequel isn't coming.

So yeah, just play 2008, be glad you don't witness the DLC stuff.

The game is still somewhat fresh in my mind and I felt like it was a cliffhanger ending but now that I think about it perhaps it was intentionally made to me kinda... tragic end.

It's really annoying that Cart Life isn't for sale any more. I was going to get it during the last winter sale but I don't think it was discounted, so I passed on it.

zkylon

zkylewd
just realized i have 70 gigs of new vegas mods

a lot of it is like backups and multiple versions of the same wth

i was gonna buy a new hard drive but getting rid of a ton of this might save me a few $$$

Oh god. Did a LTTP on Phantasy Star IV after picking up the genesis collection on the humble store. Damn. 4 hours in to it tonight. Fuck.

EDIT: this has been in my backlog for two decades. I have the cartridge in a roughneck bin somewhere.

man what even are these games

coming back from vacation made me realize that steam might as well be a self-publishing thing by now. I missed a few days and there's already hundreds of those "I've got 50 extras from a bundle" bland name things, and since I missed their exact launch date now they're just fodder no one cares about

edit: don't mean to shit on the above gifts, you guys hopefully know what I mean
Kairo is an excellent abstract puzzle exploration game; I'd definitely recommend it. Gravity Badgers is simple but kind of fun. Bionic Dues is a sci-fi roguelike. Not sure of the others

2) will you get a nervous breakdown from trying to own everything when 100 garbage games come out every day
Of couse "garbage game" is purely subjective. Some of them can actually be pretty good, if you've heard of them or are anticipating them

Milamber

just realized i have 70 gigs of new vegas mods

a lot of it is like backups and multiple versions of the same wth

i was gonna buy a new hard drive but getting rid of a ton of this might save me a few $$$

Oh, now I'm afraid to look at my mod archives for all my Bethesda games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's really annoying that Cart Life isn't for sale any more. I was going to get it during the last winter sale but I don't think it was discounted, so I passed on it.

You could try asking the dev for a Steam key, offering to put a few bucks in his PayPal account. His site is dead at the moment, though.

Edit: Here's Archive.org's snapshot of the contact page.

aku:jiki

yeah, gabe even said it recently

I just wonder 2 things:

1) will I be able to keep up and differentiate with the actually interesting releases assuming less gaming time as I get older

They can't be silly enough to go there, can they? I mean, we've already seen what happens with a self-published, near unregulated service; Xbox Live Indie Games. It doesn't matter who's running it if the community decides what games come out and the community has proven that they absolutely can't handle that responsibility. Steam will be nothing but garbage apps all day every day and the service will absolutely suffer as a result, people might even flock to Desura! XBLIG was a big deal when it launched, a complete and utter joke no one cared about at the end. There's no way they're not aware of how miserably that experiment failed...

And that was supporting ONE SDK, Microsoft's XNA. Steam would be supporting an infinite number of them... The horrors would be unspeakable!

Braag

They can't be silly enough to go there, can they? I mean, we've already seen what happens with a self-published, near unregulated service; Xbox Live Indie Games. It doesn't matter who's running it if the community decides what games come out and the community has proven that they absolutely can't handle that responsibility. Steam will be nothing but garbage apps all day every day and the service will absolutely suffer as a result, people might even flock to Desura! XBLIG was a big deal when it launched, a complete and utter joke no one cared about at the end. There's no way they're not aware of how miserably that experiment failed...

And that was supporting ONE SDK, Microsoft's XNA. Steam would be supporting an infinite number of them... The horrors would be unspeakable!

This is exactly what I'm worried about. But it seems like they're quite serious about making Steam a self-publishing system.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/05/gabe-newell-did-a-reddit-ama-today/

Deques

There is LoversLab (Which is NSFW but the community there is way better than the nexus). I tend to get a majority of my mods there, like 60% of it, 30% from various Japanese skyrim blogs and the remaining 10% from Nexus for the unofficial patches and the like.

Is the site itself NSFW? I want to bookmark it now, but currently at work

Anteater

There is LoversLab (Which is NSFW but the community there is way better than the nexus). I tend to get a majority of my mods there, like 60% of it, 30% from various Japanese skyrim blogs and the remaining 10% from Nexus for the unofficial patches and the like.

Let's just say the thread created by alienwarfighter is kind of interesting.

But bookmarked for the mods and links

Jawmuncher

Oh god. Did a LTTP on Phantasy Star IV after picking up the genesis collection on the humble store. Damn. 4 hours in to it tonight. Fuck.

EDIT: this has been in my backlog for two decades. I have the cartridge in a roughneck bin somewhere.

Even more reason to finally check it off the list.

Arthea

I rate it incredibly highly. Still easily in my top 10 rpgs of all time and a must play.

I gotta agree with you on this, not in top 10, but on must play part. I'm still bitter that Sega decided to move from series roots for good.

I haven't PS games on steam, if only Sega released generations on steam, if only
ibmCLXRi33Z8b9.jpg

Card Boy

Banned
How do i get anti-aliasing happening in the Doctor Who: Adventure Games? AMD card here. I tried adding the .exe and putting some AA but it did nothing. Other games work fine that way.

Dec

How do i get anti-aliasing happening in the Doctor Who: Adventure Games? AMD card here. I tried adding the .exe and putting some AA but it did nothing. Other games work fine that way.

Tried in RadeonPro?

If nothing, using RadeonPro for SMAA should work.

Tellaerin

You're kidding, right? I hope you're kidding. ^^; I mean, one man's "garbage apps" are another man's treasure, and it's pretty easy to ignore things that don't interest you. Besides, I imagine that for good or for ill, bigger budget projects will be more heavily promoted to make them stand out from the crowd, so it's not like they'll be getting lost in a sea of mediocre titles or something. Guess I just don't see it as a cause for panic. *shrug*

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Not sure how many will care about this, but for Resident Evil Revelations, it's Resident Evil series 18th anniversary in three days, and Capcom has some gift codes you can use on their ResidentEvil.Net service to unlock powerful weapons based off of RE1 guns (and a few just extra parts) by the following present codes (which you can access on the bottom-left part of the Revelations page under 'Enter Present Code' on RE.Net). "resident", "evil", "eighteen", "years", "anniversary". All 5 codes will unlock different things for Raid Mode, and valid until April 3rd.

aku:jiki

You're kidding, right? I hope you're kidding. ^^; I mean, one man's "garbage apps" are another man's treasure, and it's pretty easy to ignore things that don't interest you. Besides, I imagine that for good or for ill, bigger budget projects will be more heavily promoted to make them stand out from the crowd, so it's not like they'll be getting lost in a sea of mediocre titles or something. Guess I just don't see it as a cause for panic. *shrug*
You have clearly not seen the XBLIG market! Everything you don't think will happen actually happened in spades. There is no man alive that's excited for the 400th "massage app"; it's just straight-up garbage that beginner programmers are throwing out there because they can. The flood of useless garbage is so large and strong that no sane person can wade through it all to find the rare gems.

Of course that means that the big dogs, the Ubis and the EAs, will get their own "AAA" section where consumers don't have to hack through a jungle of garbage to find the playable games, but that's in no way a positive development IMO.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Not sure how many will care about this, but for Resident Evil Revelations, it's Resident Evil series 18th anniversary in three days, and Capcom has some gift codes you can use on their ResidentEvil.Net service to unlock powerful weapons based off of RE1 guns (and a few just extra parts) by the following present codes (which you can access on the bottom-left part of the Revelations page under 'Enter Present Code' on RE.Net). "resident", "evil", "eighteen", "years", "anniversary". All 5 codes will unlock different things for Raid Mode, and valid until April 3rd.

Do you know if this works even if you don't have any RE games yet? Can I link the codes to the account and if/when I get the game, they'll work?

From what's been said (very little), it sounds like they're going for a "Multiple Storefronts" type deal.

Everyone will start out on the valve storefront (which is what you see normally), but they'll be able to go to another menu and select a different storefront with a different selection of games. I suspect that that there will be all sorts of curated storefronts and uncurated storefronts (The Metroidvania Storefront, the Sega Storefront, The every new game goes here storefront), and different storefronts will be able to pick and choose what games they want available, and in turn will get a small cut when games are purchased through their storefronts.

I'm sure that there are all sorts of deals to be made to make other publishers happy - possible publisher only storefronts that give the likes of EA, Acti, and Ubi higher cuts of the revenue.

Interesting days ahead of us, but I get the feeling it will be better than the situations we currently have where it's often a fight to get a good game into the store - maybe with this, games will be able to pick up some sales even if Valve hasn't blessed them to be in the big store. What if $50,000 is sales was the same as a greenlight to go into the Valve store or something similar?

I think projects that get blog exposure could use it as a step up, so on and so forth.

Thanks for the heads-up, I bought REvelations a while ago and really enjoyed it, but the raid mode is INCREDIBLY tough(so much so, I figured doing a death-less run on Insane sounds easier than trying to get max rank on all raid mode levels) hopefully this'll make it easier on me.

kurahador

Wooo...thanks!!

But damn...RE.net is so damn slow.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know what to think. On one hand, it sounds nice that devs will be able to publish their games easily. On the other, I know I will lose interest as soon as the 700th Minecraft-inspired roguelike dating sim appears in the "new releases" tab. Hell, I'm already tired of it now when there are less than 10 new games per day; I don't even want to know how it will be when there's no curation anymore.

Deques

Just entered the last gift code. The site is slow >.<

Thanks for tip

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
i think I have max from some bundle...or im thinking of something else. probably thinking of that crayon game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom