• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has already been revealed, so yes.

Apparently I'm out of date. Did any of the other new bundles from yesterday get games added?

I don't get why they did this game first though..it's not even in the top 100 games on Steam. While Dark Souls is really high up lately.

But I guess the saves/online structure are harder with Dark Souls so they needed more time.

All this stuff probably depends on the APIs.

It's not like they have to write their own infrastructure - to oversimplify it, they merely need to change the game's code to use the Steamworks APIs instead of the GFWL APIs... now, depending on how the APIs are designed, that could be a simple job or a nightmare.

Backlogger

Always good to see a company like EA going back on their always-online-DRM stace.

Still not buying it.

Same here. I have also read that the new engine they built for this game limits the size of city you can build. I'm sure that with modding some of that will change, but to me this game was such a huge fail from the outset I just don't want to bother with it
unless I can get it in some future Origin bundle for $1

Its a shame because I grew up on Sim City and it just seems like every iteration has gotten worse. Sim City 2000 and Sim City SNES were my favorites though I have to admit I haven't spent a lot of time on SC4...

JustinBB7

All this stuff probably depends on the APIs.

It's not like they have to write their own infrastructure - to oversimplify it, they merely need to change the game's code to use the Steamworks APIs instead of the GFWL APIs... now, depending on how the APIs are designed, that could be a simple job or a nightmare.

And knowing GFWL...

Pakoe

So, i was trying to change the four screenshots on the screenshot showcase on my profile. But they don't even change? I click on a different screenshot but the old one still stays.
Anyone have the same problem?

alstein

On those greenlight titles- keep an eye on Faeria- it's struggled a bit with its base (some of this is intentional, the devs have been trying to keep it tampered down until fully ready because they're betting on Steam), but it's a great alternative to Hearthstone.

When they release it on Steam in a few months, it should be really awesome. It's already very good, and it's just a one-time purchase, no FTP garbage.

Dambrosi

Banned
Thanks to Tizoc for Ku: Sprite Of the Morrigan! Or something.

Here,s my spare Super Sanctum TD key, have at it.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Super Sanctum TD -- MB-84EEBD028F3405DB - Taken by Cth

aku:jiki

Apparently I'm out of date. Did any of the other new bundles from yesterday get games added?
The Groupees bundles had their bonuses unlocked but the only interesting one is Heroes of Steel. (The Southern Europe bundle has the lamest bonuses I've seen so far; two of them are bonus things for Gary's Adventure.)

Thorgal

Two questions :

Is X:rebirth still a broken mess as it was on launch or is most of it fixed by now ?

Secondly : how are the Prince of Persia games on PC ?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Always good to see a company like EA going back on their always-online-DRM stace.

Still not buying it.
Sun is shining in the sky, there ain't a cloud in sight. It's stopped raining, still nobody's in the game. And don't you know, it's a beautiful new day.

Placin' down the avenue, see how the sun shines brightly. In the city, on the streets where once was pity, Mr. Offline is living here today.

Mr. Offline, please tell us why you had to hide away for so long. Where did we go wrong?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Groupees bundles had their bonuses unlocked but the only interesting one is Heroes of Steel. (The Southern Europe bundle has the lamest bonuses I've seen so far; two of them are bonus things for Gary's Adventure.)

Speaking of lame, the "Social Activity" widget on the main page of Groupees is like a relic from mid-90s Geocities web pages.

Knurek

Secondly : how are the Prince of Persia games on PC ?

Amazing at their time, 2008 and Forgotten Sands are still a blast to play, no questions asked.
For the Sands of Time trilogy, it depends on you - I replayed Sands of Time last year and had a blast, RionaaM did so and came not terribly impressed.

Grief.exe

I wonder how the gameplay works in SimCity while offline. From my understanding, much of the gameplay appeal/balance centers around trading with other cities in your area.
Due to the extreme size restrictions, you have to specialize in certain resources, then trade for what you don't have room to produce.

That game looks insane, no way my PC will run it.

I would imagine you can turn off some of the effects to get it running.

Cth

Thanks to Tizoc for Ku: Sprite Of the Morrigan! Or something.

Here,s my spare Super Sanctum TD key, have at it.

Thanks! Of course, I ended up winning two copies, so I'll nuke this one and re-submit it..

Sorry about that, thanks again! Reposting in a few..

ModBot said:
Thanks to Dambrosi:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Super Sanctum TD -- MB-84EEBD028F3405DB - Taken by Evrain

how are the Prince of Persia games on PC ?
They're pretty good.
Sands of Time and Warrior Within require a fix to play in 16:9(The Two Thrones and after are all native 16:9) and Sands of Time also has a glitch where if you have fog on, it's pretty tricky to see, but if you turn fog off in the graphics options, it's fine.

2008, I didn't much care for but it was okay.
The Forgotten Sands is also pretty good, but nothing amazing, it has some interesting ideas and is pretty good looking, but the locations lack variety, it tends to just be inside a brown castle for 99% of the game, has some nice character development though, more exploration of the family side of things.

Oh and so you don't get confused about things, The Forgotten Sands takes place between Sands of Time and Warrior Within, so if you're wondering why the prince forgets certain things that have happened to him in Warrior Within/The Two Thrones...That's why.

Thorgal

Amazing at their time, 2008 and Forgotten Sands are still a blast to play, no questions asked.
For the Sands of Time trilogy, it depends on you - I replayed Sands of Time last year and had a blast, RionaaM did so and came not terribly impressed.

Thanks !

Are any of them bad ports or does any of them have technical issues on PC ?

Dolor

Two questions :

Is X:rebirth still a broken mess as it was on launch or is most of it fixed by now ?

I think some of the most outrageous stuff is fixed, and there are several mods for some of the other stuff (like entering space stations).

I would still go into it with low expectations. It's pretty (not the characters though), and there's an interesting game underneath it all, but it started from such a low bar (I say that with so much pain as I pre-ordered it) that it may still take a while before it's as good as it's going to get.

Thanks !

Are any of them bad ports or does any of them have technical issues on PC ?

Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones has some pretty annoying mouse controls, feels very stiff, so I recommend you use a gamepad for TTT(works just fine with any xinput controller, not sure about dinput, haven't tested that myself unfortunately)

But aside from that, most of them are pretty good ports, there are some graphical errors you'll see on the pre2008 titles, but aside from that, they're pretty solid, I finished most of them rather recently and didn't run into much trouble at all.

Thorgal

I think some of the most outrageous stuff is fixed, and there are several mods for some of the other stuff (like entering space stations).

I would still go into it with low expectations. It's pretty (not the characters though), and there's an interesting game underneath it all, but it started from such a low bar (I say that with so much pain as I pre-ordered it) that it may still take a while before it's as good as it's going to get.

Hmm , i think ill wait a while longer till either most of it is fixed or buy the game during a sale then .
Backlog is already huge as it is .

Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones has some pretty annoying mouse controls, feels very stiff, so I recommend you use a gamepad for TTT(works just fine with any xinput controller, not sure about dinput, haven't tested that myself unfortunately)

But aside from that, most of them are pretty good ports, there are some graphical errors you'll see on the pre2008 titles, but aside from that, they're pretty solid, I finished most of them rather recently and didn't run into much trouble at all.

Thanks for the info .

Game's great, wish the boss fights on the Valk levels were harder though (they're the exact same as the Crystal path). The attention to detail is amazing, there are some really clever design decisions and the level design is immaculate. I actually think the game is a bit too generous in the end though. Sure, I died a ton when I first started playing, but when I got ending A I had like 16+ lives stocked up. 1CCing is actually not that hard.
Yeah, I finished with the A ending not too long after. I had 11 lives stocked up and the final area wasn't hard to learn because you could reliably get a spirit there if you needed it. I just loved all the crafty ways it put your simple set of tools to use and figuring out the ins and outs of the levels. Once you got the levels down pat it was pretty rewarding to maul the bosses after with the flamesword; the upgrades make a big difference so there's always a sense of urgency to getting hit.

Volgarr was really satisfying. Total time clocked at 12.5 hours but it's the kind of game that feels like it took far more than that. Tends to happen when I always feel engaged in something and can't just autopilot through the whole thing.

I hope there is a special place in hell carved out for whoever designed Blighttown. Shit. Finally made it to the bottom bonfire and hauled ass to the ladders to get back to the Shrine
...and then awesome dropped through the elevator shaft...sonofabitch
. I'll be ok never going through it again.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Do you get cards for watching free to play or do you need to buy the DLC fist like other F2P games?

Lunaniem

I got 3 of them hours ago.
Have no idea how to the last 2, tho.
(Well Played Devi and Fear)

You have to listen to both commentary tracks in the movie by clicking the exclamation mark in the movie options.

For some reason Dendi's achievement didn't unlock till I did Fear's first, if you don't want to listen you can just fast forward to the end and they will pop. (Still worth listening to)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom