• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

In all honesty, this was my most wanted game on Greenlight. I ain't even joking. As Stump said, it looks so WarioWare, the art is great and I found the dialogue on the trailer funny :/

EDIT: Then again, a long time ago my most wanted game was Holy Avatar vs Maidens of the Dead so... (I can't believe I didn't buy any bundle with it, FFS).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Okyntt is currently available in a bundle, is it not? I'm working my way through the new Greenlight batch and I distinctly recall seeing Oknytt very recently. My first thought was Bundle Stars but according to my account page I'm misremembering.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Okyntt is currently available in a bundle, is it not? I'm working my way through the new Greenlight batch and I distinctly recall seeing Oknytt very recently. My first thought was Bundle Stars but according to my account page I'm misremembering.

It's in the Indiegala Doorways bundle right now.

At least this got through...

Now the only problem is which will come out first, either Stardew Valley or this.

I can get behind a Harvest Moon-esque game on PC.

Burrito Galaxy Z looks excellent, to be honest, I have no idea why anyone would be surprised that got through. Reminds me a little of ToeJam and Earl or WarioWare in terms of comedy stylings, great art... it's not entirely clear what the game is, but understanding what the hell is going on is way overrated.

In all honesty, this was my most wanted game on Greenlight. I ain't even joking. As Stump said, it looks so WarioWare, the art is great and I found the dialogue on the trailer funny :/

EDIT: Then again, a long time ago my most wanted game was Holy Avatar vs Maidens of the Dead so... (I can't believe I didn't buy any bundle with it, FFS).

I don't know, the description just feels like a parody of Greenlight to me. It reads as if this was designed to make a mockery out of the system. I wouldn't be completely opposed to playing it if it were to come up in a bundle, just to see what it really is like.

Knurek

//EDIT: Not in the newest Indie Royale, but was in the Debut Bundle 5
Was in Groupees BAB7 one as well.

aku:jiki

I upvoted several of the games in that batch, I'm pretty excited for it. How can you possibly not be excited by the dog sled RPG?! This and the bear simulator and we're set for games for eternity.

aku:jiki

Oh, also, I just checked out Winter Voices to see if I wanted the other episodes and the answer is YES! The writing and atmosphere really is excellent. Check it out if you picked up the Blink bundle and don't just dump it in your "bundle junk I'll never play" category!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I recognize quite a few from bundles this time, yay

Any reason why every steam game needs to install direct x everytime? Shouldn't it just detect that I already have it?

I'm also having some problems win 8.1 64 bit. Seems a latest update messed up my log in stuff.

Yeah having the same issue on my W8.1 too. Guess we have to wait for a fix.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Is there something wrong with Steam's search engine? When I search for Half-Life several times I would get either "No results were returned for that query.", unrelated games that share neither the same genre nor tags nor even close spelling (e.g. Parking Dash) only, or it does locate Half-Life just on the second page behind results for various other games that share close spelling such as Half-Minute Hero or The Game Of Life.

Not enhanced Steam as I'm on a PC without it at the moment, happens both on browser (Chrome and Firefox) and the Steam client itself.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any good games out there that haven't been greenlighted yet? Most of these look completely terrible.

There's a few that look interesting, not counting any visual novel-esque games:

A graveyard simulator, a story of epitaphs, a tale of ghosts that haunt, a game with no goal— all valid descriptions of Boon Hill.

To put it as simply as possible, Boon Hill is a game about reading gravestones. There might be a few other elements and things you can do, but the bulk of the game is just walking through a graveyard, reading epitaphs and thinking about who these people were and never will be again.

it might be hard to imagine why someone would want to play a game about walking through a graveyard. Have you ever done that? Just walked through a graveyard and spent time examining all the different gravestones and what's written there? You should if you haven't.

The gameplay is simple: you move around and examine things. The most obvious things being the headstones, of course. You can also interact with any NPCs you might encounter.

But How Do You Win?

The game itself has no win scenario. As the protagonist you'll start with a specific gravestone you're looking for, but finding it won't end the game. Looking at every gravestone once won't end the game. Doing everything there possibly is to do won't end the game. The game ends when you decide to leave the graveyard. The experience is yours. It isn't dictated by some preset guidelines.

Can You Lose?

The game has no lose scenario either. There is nothing threatening the player. No zombies bursting up from the graves and no vampires hidden deep in the mausoleums. The gravedigger is not digging a grave for you and it's impossible to be buried alive. There's nothing to be afraid of at Boon Hill, except perhaps your own mortality, despite what some NPCs might tell you.

Though they do say you should never fall asleep in a graveyard.

Discover Mystery in the Graveyard

I don't want to imply the game is aimless. Boon Hill is about inferred stories, about the connections people have that continue even after they die. The graveyard tells many tales woven by those who've long since passed on: stories of love, life, sorrow, and joy, told over generations.

The threads of narrative are woven throughout the gravestones for you to discover, if you have the inkling to look. A row of graves all with the same last name, most of them having died very young, suggests a specific set of circumstances. An epitaph that reads 'Survived by no one' is dour, yes, but clearly someone carried out their last wishes. Here, people are tied together by something as simple as similar birth dates, the places they were born or died, and even the styles of their grave markers. Subtle stories abound in the rows of stone.

Orbit is a twin-stick PvP game where you fight against your buddies in an epic interplanetary rocketfest. Use special abilities like shields and teleportation to defeat the enemy, and level up between the fights as the madness intensifies! Maneuver your ship between planets at breakneck speeds and take gravity into account as you crush your competitors in this awesome game!

A play session consists of six games, where the players duke it out in a big selection of game modes like "Capture the ORBIT", or "Deathmatch". Play "Hardcore", and be the last survivor of an epic starbattle, or run from your enemies in a small "Tradeship"! If you are up for a challenge, "Chaos" mode warps black holes, suns and asteroids your way, as you franticly try to best your foes. Beween the many gamemodes you encounter, you level up your ship in a tech-tree with many options and paths.

Each play session lasts between 5-15 minutes, but if you are more of the pick up and go type, we have modes for you too! The custom game mode ensures the player will have full controll of the battlefield! Choose what power-ups are allowed, the mode of the game, the orbitals on your map and the length of the matches.

In the final game we have the following features planned (most of them completed):

- Crazy local multiplayer for 2-4 players
- Singleplayer modes with exciting lore and ship unlocks
- Play the game with gamepad/controller or keyboard and mouse
- Randomly generated maps ensure a fresh experience every game
- Party play mode or custom games
- Awesome persistant upgrade paths for PvP play
- An arsenal of powerups designed for crazy action
- Super hot, particle infused graphics
- Incredible soundtrack by Wierzs

Grief.exe

Wild Season actually looks very good graphically

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=197092124

7C945D5EEFB7DA38F68095D3C76BD52C19506A43

Is there something wrong with Steam's search engine? When I search for Half-Life several times I would get either "No results were returned for that query.", unrelated games that share neither the same genre nor tags nor even close spelling (e.g. Parking Dash) only, or it does locate Half-Life just on the second page behind results for various other games that share close spelling such as Half-Minute Hero or The Game Of Life.

Not enhanced Steam as I'm on a PC without it at the moment, happens both on browser (Chrome and Firefox) and the Steam client itself.

I had issues with it too. I'd search for stuff and get no results, even though the game is clearly in there.

Dolor

Great news Jase!

If they added cards/achievements/linux support to The Witcher 1, I would have a strong reason to purchase that version on Steam. Currently, I just have it on GOG.

I hope this happens. Guaranteed max level badge buyer (and foils) right here. Loved that game.

Jawmuncher

Visual Novels have been the best thing coming off steam green light for me.
Mainly since that was a very unheard of genre on Steam until now where it's finally gained far more traction.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
"Build relationships with characters that you can believe. make friends, and loved ones, or enemies and crazy exes with our custom built relationship engine: The Friend-Zone Engine "

Can't wait.

This is that game. I remember this now. Mainly thanks to the thread's reactions to the game being called a gritty take on Harvest Moon.

Siliconera said:
Called Wild Season, don’t be shocked at how similar its title looks to Harvest Moon. The Kickstarter indie project by Philippines developers Quickfire Games is unabashedly aimed at creating a “more mature” version of everyone’s favorite farming simulation game. This includes the possibilities of same-sex marriage, turning yourself into a stalker-san, or even turning townsfolk into your enemies.

Zeknurn

I'm glad to see that Tabletop Simulator got greenlit. I'll probably pick up a 4pack from the developers website when they confirm that they will provide Steam keys. Plenty of boardgaming fun will be had when it's out.

Dolor

To me Greenlight at this point is less about getting games that I want on Steam and more about making sure that as many people on Steam have as many options as possible.

Most games greenlit don't appeal to me, but then again, most games (even the ones I have purchased) don't end up appealing to me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Does anyone actually listen to all of the musical albums included in Groupees bundles? I buy maybe half the Groupees bundles, maybe even less, and I apparently have 131 albums worth of music I've never listened to (even if half are FLAC versions, that's still 60+ albums). That's crazy.

Turfster

Does anyone actually listen to all of the musical albums included in Groupees bundles? I buy maybe half the Groupees bundles, maybe even less, and I apparently have 131 albums worth of music I've never listened to (even if half are FLAC versions, that's still 60+ albums). That's crazy.

I listen to quite a few of the albums and soundtracks I get in bundles, actually.

Twinduct

Been trying to get some of them, but downloading them 1 by 1 is such a pain on my connection.

Really wish there was some Download Manager for them.

the ones from the doujin bundles are great

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Game soundtracks worth listening to on their own are so few and far between to me that I doubt I'll ever touch that feature, still very cool that it exists though. FIngers crossed for a groupees castlevania bundle.

JustinBB7

just got this popup..... weird

guessing we'll have to do the same for dark souls

I don't get why they did this game first though..it's not even in the top 100 games on Steam. While Dark Souls is really high up lately.

But I guess the saves/online structure are harder with Dark Souls so they needed more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom