• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh uni wifi, you treat me so well

awLkxCl.png

You bastard.

Silent Storm: Quite a big download for what looks like such an old game. The art-style really doesn't do the game any favours and I think you could do better with your time. Even something like Trapped Dead would be a better option and that isn't saying much.

Are you crazy? Did you even give it an hour? It is one of the most insane turn based strategy games, with an amazing destruction engine that allows for crazy amounts of dynamic strategies.

Notice: We are experiencing an issue with keys for Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Enhanced Edition. Currently, the keys we have do not activate correctly on Games for Windows Live. We are working with the publisher to get a fix in place.
Is the game fixed or what?

Nabs

Is the game fixed or what?

The game doesn't use GFWL anymore.

Edit: It's a bit confusing, but I think they are transitioning off it right now. I think you can opt into a beta right now, or wait for April 1st for the full Steamworks conversion to go live for everyone.

I think you had some unfair expectations of both Bionic Dues and Zafehouse. I don't know why, but you thought then to be games they were clearly not. Bionic Dues was never supposed to be an action mech, but a Roguelike, and those are slow and methodic, that's why there is all that depth. As with Zafehouse, it is a text adventure dude, not an exploration game.

You could be right about the expectations, but I'll stand by the conclusions drawn. Even if they succeed brilliantly at what they are trying to do, I argue that what they are attempting just isn't any fun for me.

I just can't remember a batch of indie games he posted reviews/impressions of that was positive. :p

There have been plenty, the thing is I don't see the need to discuss a major release as they are already well covered. The reality is the majority of bundled games are just not very good.

Are you crazy? Did you even give it an hour? It is one of the most insane turn based strategy games, with an amazing destruction engine that allows for crazy amounts of dynamic strategies.

I can see how it might have been at some stage in the past. However I played it today and from whatever level of quality it use to be, I don't believe it has aged well at all. But ultimately these are only brief impressions as noted. Feel free to provide your own if you disagree!

Grief.exe

The game doesn't use GFWL anymore.

Edit: It's a bit confusing, but I think they are transitioning off it right now. I think you can opt into a beta right now, or wait for April 1st for the full Steamworks conversion to go live for everyone.

Ya I just actually read the process on the Steam forums.

You have to launch the game, quit, then opt into the beta update which downloads the GFWL-free version.

April 1st and forward only the Steamworks version will be available.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Decided to have a little scan through Early Access to see what appealed to me. First, I was surprised to find out I have like a dozen early access games from random indie bundles and stuff. Woah. But besides the ones I already owned, I clicked on maybe three dozen games. Here are my impressions, noting I haven't bought or played any of these games. Just my impressions based on browsing.

Age of Decadence - top-down oldschool PC rpg. $24.99. Seems kind of janky and low budget at this point, but I bet it's difficult to tell the degree to which either combat or conversation is satisfying from a view. It's not really my genre of game, unless it ends up that it's particularly well done I probably wouldn't get it. 100% positive reviews, but despite this there are published negative reviews. Seems frustrating to me.

Coin Crypt - Top-down blocky cartoony dungeon crawler with first-person RPG battle system, emphasis on coins. $4.99. The main appeal seems to me that the coins that you pick up have different combat abilities. The game looks kind of ugly to me and the dungeons don't look interesting or complex, but the combat looks like it could be neat. Xelios liked it. I've got too many dungeon crawlers to get to this. 95% positive reviews.

Contraption Maker - From the team who made The Incredible Machine, comes a game exactly like The Incredible Machine. $9.99. To its credit, it looks significantly better than Crazy Machines or any other post-TIM version of this formula. To its downside, it still doesn't seem to have quite the visual charm of TIM. I hope Steam Workshop brings a lot of life to this. I'd play it. 100% positive reviews.

Damned - First person horror exploration with randomly generated levels. $14.99. It doesn't look great to me, and I feel like random level generation will take away from well crafted scares. Silver lining being multiplayer support, I could see it being really cool to hear a friend scream on voice chat and not know what they're screaming at, or surprising a friend by lurking just around a corner or whatever. Not for me. 100% positive reviews.

The Dead Linger - open-world FPS survival zombie game. $19.99. World visuals look bright and crisp, but still clearly unfinished. Models and animations seem weak. State of Decay seems to be a more interesting game situated in basically the same set of mechanics so I don't think I'd get this. Reviews suggest that the framerate is currently terrible, but they may have switched engine recently? 74% positive reviews.

Delver - First-person dungeon RPG that reminds me of Ultima Underworld, but in a post-Minecraft generation. Nice art style, imho. Hard to say if there's much substance to the game, but early reviews say it's a fun pick up and play with possible long-term depth issues. I'd maybe play it a bit. 98% positive reviews.

Dethroned! - MOBA meets Tower Defence meets RTS top-down game. Free to play. Cute primitive art style, but I don't quite understand what's going on from the preview video. Reviews suggest netcode is very poor to the point of inhibiting playability and game balance is pay-to-win, but people seem to find the overall game loop to be okay. 58% positive reviews.

Dollhouse Room 1313 - Black and white first-person adventure exploration game with random levels. Not out yet. I think whether this is interesting will depend whether or not they can thread narrative into the random levels well, which remains to be seen.

Dream - First person exploration adventure. $16.99. Videos seem clean and pretty but bland. Game promises environmental interactivity. Reviews suggest that it has some horror elements, which are unexpected. Reviews seem to be positive about atmosphere, but not so much about gameplay yet. For me, maybe? 98% positive reviews.

Dungeon of the Endless - Top down dungeon crawler RPG with a sort of sci-fi theme. $12.99 on sale for $9.74. Visuals look a little loud to me, but music in the trailer is nice and reminded me of a more gothic, Genesis feel. Combat seems kind of satisfying. There appears to be some base building and tower defence type mechanics in there somewhere according to reviews, which turns me off. Reviews are positive but suggest there's not much content yet. Not for me. 96% positive reviews.

Gravi - I own this and I've literally never heard of it. Physics-driven bouncy ball 2d platformer. $9.99. It looks pretty unremarkable, personally. It was apparently originally released for Ouya and is in the process of being ported to PC. It kinda reminds me of mid-90s PC platformers I'd find on shareware discs. I doubt I'll end up playing this. 59% positive reviews.

Hive - A very classic tile-laying board game. $6.99. I've played Hive a handful of times and this looks like an excellent electronic port. If you like board games like Go, Othello, and Chess, or hobbyist board games like Hex, I think you'll like Hive. Not sure if they're planning on adding anything, though, otherwise it seems like you'd be better off playing Hive on some of the sites that have it or have it cloned for free. 100% positive reviews.

Imagine Me - 2d platformer with big levels and big bouncy jumping. $9.99, on sale right now for $7.49. Seems like this would feel like an easier N+ in that it has pretty rudimentary graphics and they seem to be emphasizing the feel of movement. Didn't really appeal to me. 90% positive reviews.

Kenshi - Open world desert crafting, trading sandbox job based RPG with squad-based combat? $19.99. It looks ambitious, but I don't really like the aesthetic or squad based combat. Some debate in reviews the extent to which the game is fully-realized, but a healthy 96% positive reviews.

Magicite - 2D randomly generated permadeath platformer with loot or crafting? $9.99. Seems like Spelunky meets Minecraft. It has a bit of visual charm but also seems to go for gaudy shader neon lighting. Combat and movement feels a little loose and imprecise to me looking at videos, which I think would detract from the sublime feeling of being good at a game like Spelunky. I wouldn't buy it. 98% positive reviews.

Melody's Escape - 2D rhythm platformer generated from your music. $9.99. Bit.Trip Runner meets Audiosurf with a silhouetted visual style. Personally the videos don't look like they have the kind of precision or smoothness you want from a rhythm game and I'm not a fan of the visual style, but mechanically it could be cool. 98% positive reviews.

Meltdown - isometric arena shooter, maybe twin stick, with multiplayer elements. $3.99. Visually looks very beautiful but it's twin-stick shooters seem really overdone and not much seems to stand out here. Very pretty though. 98% positive reviews.

Mercenary Kings - Like Metal Slug, but with crafting and smaller missions. $14.99. Animation by Paul Robertson and it shows, this game is gorgeous. Reviews seem divided about how fun it feels yet, saying it feels a little slow and aimless and the mission design isn't good, but that crafting is fun and deep. It's a maybe for me. 78% positive reviews.

The Memory of Eldurim - Open world third person fantasy RPG. $19.99. I guess it looks fine but they don't seem to have much of a story or quest system yet so it's just kind of wandering and combat. This seems like a pretty well populated genre that I wonder if there's really a lot of demand for another entry that seems to do the basics well but doesn't have much in the way of really interesting ideas. 69% positive reviews.

Monsters & Munitions - it's a 2D artillery combat game like Worms or Tank Wars or Scorched Earth, but with base rebuilding like Rampart, but also it's a collectible card game? $6.99. I'm mildly curious. Early reviews seem optimistic but that the game still has balance issues and sometimes feels a little random. 78% positive reviews.

Montas - First person walk-around horror game set in a modern city. Unknown price because it's not released yet. I'm reaching the point where there are so many games in this sort of genre that they're all bleeding together and I'm less likely to play any of them. I'm sure Dusk Golem will write a review.

Particulars - a puzzle game where you play as protons or something? Reminds me of flOw. $9.99. I can't see myself buying it. 81% positive reviews.

Patterns - Minecraft with more combat, dynamic stress physics, and things being built out of triangles instead of blocks. Linden Lab. $9.99. Some of the combat that involves large scale constructions seems kind of cool, but it's not clear from reviews if much of the combat stuff is implemented yet. I wouldn't buy it. 83% positive reviews.

Race to Mars - A simulation where you run a space exploration company, with a view sort of like Civilization of HOMM town view. Your objective is to research and get to Mars. It's unclear to me if you do much ship design. $19.99. Reviews seem to suggest there's nothing to do yet and there are localization issues with English in the game. I could see myself buying it if it ended up a decent game. 37% positive reviews.

Secrets of Raetikon - 2D flying platformer exploration game. $9.99. A nice polygonal style that reminds me of west-coast Native American and Canadian tribal art. Has a sort of dead world feel to it, a little like Metroid. Reviews seem very positive about the mostly-completed story mode which seems to involve interacting with other animals, but it's hard for me to tell what's happening mechanically besides flying--and negative reviews suggest mechanics might be an issue. Still, for atmosphere, seems great. 91% positive reviews.

Sir, You Are Being Hunted - I'd heard of this before and really just clicked to see how development is going. It's an open world FPS survival sim. $19.99. Presentation looks excellent, but despite majorly positive reviews it seems like it's still mostly a concept at this point rather than a game with much to do. I could be convinced to buy it. 98% positive reviews.

Snow - Free-to-play open world skiing and snowboarding game. Early access buy-in is $14.99. Looks gorgeous, honestly, but it's hard to say what you actually do at this point absent any kind of score system or concrete objectives. Controls and content seem quite early based on reviews. I could see myself buying this if it turns out well. 64% positive reviews.

Take on Mars - Open world Mars rover sim. Bohemia Interactive. $17.99. Seems like there's a good variety of low-level objectives right now, but not a lot of game progression beyond that. They appear to be releasing new content soon for more structured progression. I'd play it. 80% positive reviews.

Theme Park Studio - It's a theme park studio. $29.99. It looks pretty nice and I appreciate that it's very free-form and not as restrictive as previous theme park games in terms of the types of terrain and buildings and rides you can make, but it seems like there's no actual game element. There's no money, no restrictions, no incentives to play particular ways. Even the old Disney Coaster game had judges scoring your rides. I don't think I'd play it on that basis, personally. 85% positive reviews.

Turbo Dismount - Physics driven injury sim. $6.99. Very pretty cartoony graphics. Lots of potential to inflict harm on your ragdoll. Seems like they're planning lots of content and modes. Not sure it really does anything that Stair Dismount doesn't, but seems like a good followup. I'd buy it later on. 100% positive reviews.

Windborne - a less blocky Minecraft. Hidden Path. $29.99. Reviews seem to suggest that right now it's just mining, building, and crafting. Looks nice enough, I can't imagine ever buying it. 94% positive reviews

Wrack - "oldschool" arcade style FPS. $14.99. Why do arcade FPSes keep saying "you remember how no one releases arcade FPSes anymore? Well here's one!!"--at this point there's hundreds, and mostly people don't play them. I'm not sure that the issue is no one releasing arcade FPSes anymore, but rather no one releasing ones that people want to play. This one seems to have a sort of XIII-meets-neon hellscape visual design. I didn't see anything I liked, personally. Seems like a good execution though, with a good amount of content, at 100% positive reviews.

Almost everything I clicked on had recent updates and ongoing development. Most had great review scores. Seems to me that for all the complaining about Early Access, people who actually buy Early Access games largely know what they're getting and enjoy it. *shrugs*

Turfster

Almost everything I clicked on had recent updates and ongoing development. Most had great review scores. Seems to me that for all the complaining about Early Access, people who actually buy Early Access games largely know what they're getting and enjoy it. *shrugs*

People with no actual stake in things or experience with them are usually the loudest complainers.
(See also: the community 'review' of Free2Play)

Thanks for the write up.

I think those positive review scores represent an interesting dynamic, but it isn't one I necessarily trust. Typically to get on steam you would need some sort of social presence and following and I doubt that stops once the ability to give a thumbs up is given.

Beyond that possibility (who knows really) I think it is also a lot easier to forgive things when you know "stuff" is coming, as opposed to a completed title which will always have faults or missing features.

Case in point, if I reviewed Prison Architect I'd be more inclined to focus what is in there and working, because the massive issues it still has are a work in progress (hopefully).

Door Kickers and Prison Architect are the two games that I feel best represent how Early Access should work. Both feel like complete very playable games with updates adding new content, rather than mere frameworks. Every update is pretty significant and adds game-changing features. At least IMO.

Sir, You Are Hunted is nearly feature complete, if I remember correctly. Definitely not just a concept

Turbo Dismount still feels kind of bare bones, but I think it's a step up from Stair Dismount and Workshop support will only add to that

Door Kickers and Prison Architect are the two games that I feel best represent how Early Access should work. Both feel like complete very playable games with updates adding new content, rather than mere frameworks. Every update is pretty significant and adds game-changing features. At least IMO.

Can't speak for Door Kickers, but the monthly updates for PA have been very regular and often quite meaty.

If it represents the best model in terms of pricing and discounts? I'm not so sure. Heavily discounting reward tiers such as the "name in the game" level is still a sore point for me. In this case they are trying to have the best of both worlds (early access and a released game) and I'm not sure that is the way to go.

So Betrayer is releasing on March 24th. Curious to see what the final product will be like.

I bought this game during its Early Access and loved it, can't wait to see the finished product.

Sir, You Are Hunted is nearly feature complete, if I remember correctly. Definitely not just a concept

Turbo Dismount still feels kind of bare bones, but I think it's a step up from Stair Dismount and Workshop support will only add to that

I can confirm this, they have actually implemented the game's final enemy NPC and will be releasing the game's final biome soon.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Great write up, Stump. Hopefully more people will take notice of these games.

I didn't realize people were complaining about early access. It's not like they're being forced to take part in buying early access games, but I guess people need to complain about something.

I've been keeping an eye on Prison Architect, Dungeon of the Endless, NEO Scavenger, and Project Zomboid. for a while now. I'm really looking forward to the finished products.

I just finished watching 'Free to Play' and I enjoyed it, I'm not a DotA player (played it for around 60 hours in the beta) and I don't follow the eSports scene, (maybe an occasional fighting game tourney if they're considered eSports) the documentary is well made and in any moment I felt it was dragging. A positive point, at least for me, is the documentary is focused on the players and their lifes trajectories and what personal challenges they had to overcome.

Chronoja

Didn't see it mentioned in the last few pages so sorry if it's old news but it appears Bulletstorm has been pulled from the steam store. Another gfwl casualty?

Cth

Here are the ones I've played/interested in for what it's worth..
(my comments in bold)

Damned - First person horror exploration with randomly generated levels. $14.99. It doesn't look great to me, and I feel like random level generation will take away from well crafted scares. Silver lining being multiplayer support, I could see it being really cool to hear a friend scream on voice chat and not know what they're screaming at, or surprising a friend by lurking just around a corner or whatever. Not for me. 100% positive reviews.

Picked up during a community vote/sale, part of a four pack? Ended up paying $5 or so. Interesting idea, but I've only played it twice. Mainly picked it up based on the YouTube sneak peeks. The impression I get is an adult version of hide and seek. Positive, but admittedly I would wait for a sale.

Delver - First-person dungeon RPG that reminds me of Ultima Underworld, but in a post-Minecraft generation. Nice art style, imho. Hard to say if there's much substance to the game, but early reviews say it's a fun pick up and play with possible long-term depth issues. I'd maybe play it a bit. 98% positive reviews.

Loved this one. Played it briefly as it was another sale purchase. Art style was fun, but haven't played it long to be perfectly honest. Mainly purchased because my 6 year old loves Minecraft and it was a decent price. Also I'm a sucker for randomized levels. Decent price still unlike other early access games.

Dream - First person exploration adventure. $16.99. Videos seem clean and pretty but bland. Game promises environmental interactivity. Reviews suggest that it has some horror elements, which are unexpected. Reviews seem to be positive about atmosphere, but not so much about gameplay yet. For me, maybe? 98% positive reviews.

This one is on my To Buy list. Mainly interested based on the HP Lovecraft connection admittedly.

Sir, You Are Being Hunted - I'd heard of this before and really just clicked to see how development is going. It's an open world FPS survival sim. $19.99. Presentation looks excellent, but despite majorly positive reviews it seems like it's still mostly a concept at this point rather than a game with much to do. I could be convinced to buy it. 98% positive reviews.

Another one I've always been interested in but hesitant to pull the trigger at that price. Seems highly recommended in the indy thread. Mainly interested in the randomized nature of the game.

Snow - Free-to-play open world skiing and snowboarding game. Early access buy-in is $14.99. Looks gorgeous, honestly, but it's hard to say what you actually do at this point absent any kind of score system or concrete objectives. Controls and content seem quite early based on reviews. I could see myself buying this if it turns out well. 64% positive reviews.

Thanks to Jace for highlighting this one. I've been looking for another SSX kind of game.. I was half interested in buying it until I heard it was free to play, and opted to wait for now. It'd be even more fun with Oculus Rift support (is it in the works?)

Turbo Dismount - Physics driven injury sim. $6.99. Very pretty cartoony graphics. Lots of potential to inflict harm on your ragdoll. Seems like they're planning lots of content and modes. Not sure it really does anything that Stair Dismount doesn't, but seems like a good followup. I'd buy it later on. 100% positive reviews.

On the fence on this one.. on one hand, my kid would love it, but on the other, it is getting an iOS port. If I'm going to buy it, I'd probably opt for that instead. That being said, the developer seems pretty receptive to endusers and has been providing a lot of updates.

It'd be interesting if there was an early access thread with updates/impressions, although there's likely some crossover with the indy thread. There's a few games I added to the wishlist as a result of your post, so thanks!

JustinBB7

Didn't see it mentioned in the last few pages so sorry if it's old news but it appears Bulletstorm has been pulled from the steam store. Another gfwl casualty?

Wow, too lazy to even remove it and keep it on the store..

Such a fun game too, glad I bought it and beat it ages ago.

Will it be unplayable without GFWL or will an offline account work when GFWL dies I wonder.

MUnited83

For you.
Wow, too lazy to even remove it and keep it on the store..

Such a fun game too, glad I bought it and beat it ages ago.

Will it be unplayable without GFWL or will an offline account work when GFWL dies I wonder.

AFAIK, Bulletstorm doesn't allow offline accounts. So yeah, it will be unplayable.

AFAIK, Bulletstorm doesn't allow offline accounts. So yeah, it will be unplayable.
I haven't played Bulletstorm in a while but I think it does, I remember not being able to connect to the GFWL servers at all but still managed to play through the single player campaign, only really became an annoyance when I wanted to play online with my friends but couldn't log-in.

I have a retail copy of Bulletstorm if that makes any difference.

MUnited83

For you.
I haven't played Bulletstorm in a while but I think it does, I remember not being able to connect to the GFWL servers at all but still managed to play through the single player campaign, only really became an annoyance when I wanted to play online with my friends but couldn't log-in.

If I'm not wrong, you can play it offline if you make a GFWL account and download the profile so It can be found locally.

Such a thing will not be possible after GFWL shutdown though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Offline profile as in a local profile, which the game does not support. Presumably, in your case, your online profile log-in info was saved and so you were able to use it while GFWL was down.

Edit: Oh god, I was wondering why my 'net was running horribly slow:
Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 384
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 1280

That's 1.28Mbit (~128KBps).

If I'm not wrong, you can play it offline if you make a GFWL account and download the profile so It can be found locally.

Such a thing will not be possible after GFWL shutdown though.

Offline profile as in a local profile, which the game does not support. Presumably, in your case, your online profile log-in info was saved and so you were able to use it while GFWL was down.

Ah, that makes sense.
I don't buy many games with GFWL in it so I'm not that familiar with the process.
Thanks for the explanations :)

_hekk05

Banned
Having problems with my fibre. Paid for 200 Mbps down 100 up, but I'm somehow getting only 100+ Mbps down, but I'm getting 200+ Mbps up lol. Gotta contact singtel

Jawmuncher

Bulletstorm is still up on the Origin Store Front.
Doesnt that version use GFWL live as well? Maybe they pulled it down since it would be easier to just add a steamworks version rather than update it?
Yeah I know wishful thinking.

Jawmuncher

Having problems with my fibre. Paid for 200 Mbps down 100 up, but I'm somehow getting only 100+ Mbps down, but I'm getting 200+ Mbps up lol. Gotta contact singtel

The fastest internet I have ever had was about 4MBps.
Can't imagine the intensity of 100+Mbps

Card Boy

Banned
So can i get a refund for Bulletstorm since i will have a non-functioning product on my hands? (or at least soon i do) Whether you can crack it or not is irrelevant, the game is garbage and i would rather get my money back 2 years after i bought it.

There are STILL "alternative" methods to play your legally purchased and updated copy of Bulletstorm even after GFWL is pulled, afaik. At least for the single player modes.

Don't need to have a local copy of your online GFWL profile either, the method doesn't rely on GFWL at all.

Bulletstorm is still up on the Origin Store Front.
Doesnt that version use GFWL live as well? Maybe they pulled it down since it would be easier to just add a steamworks version rather than update it?
Yeah I know wishful thinking.

Bulletstorm doesn't just use GFWL... it is GFWL to the core, more than any other game ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom