• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The first guy I talked to tried to get me into a bidding war but I didn't want to go higher than 4 keys per copy as I've spent enough over the past couple of weeks, haha. Fortunately, though, the other guy came online quickly thereafter and he was receptive to my offer.

Since the game uses GFWL (i.e. there are no retail keys) and only went on sale once in a blue moon it shouldn't take long for current copies to dry up.

Milamber

Finally got somewhere!

bulletstormvyx0j.jpg

*cough* So how much are you asking?

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Finally got Assassin's Creed II to work without stuttering. Creating a custom resultion of 59 Hz and using Rivatuner to lock the framerate at 60FPS did the trick. Weird combo but i'm not complaining, atleast it works.
But what a terrible PC port. Flickering shadows and the worst pop-in i've ever seen.

Game is fun, though. :)

Also, goodday, SteamGAF. Did I miss anything interesting the last 24 Hours? Maybe a nice Dark Souls II deal? :p

Knurek

Really? Ah ok, thought it was mostly a strategy game. I should probably be reading this stuff then ;)

It's similar to... dunno, Gadget Trial, Utawarerumono or Castle Fantasia games. ~90% reading, ~10% of trivial tactical battles.

In other news, lack of post-launch support for Danmaku Unlimited 2 is unnerving. People on Steam forums are constantly brining up minor (or majorish) gripes with the game and the dev seems to ignore all that. :\

It's similar to... dunno, Gadget Trial, Utawarerumono or Castle Fantasia games. ~90% reading, ~10% of trivial tactical battles.

Yeah I just... can't. Seems well put together and I actually liked the first couple of battles but but it isn't for me.

In other news, lack of post-launch support for Danmaku Unlimited 2 is unnerving. People on Steam forums are constantly brining up minor (or majorish) gripes with the game and the dev seems to ignore all that. :\

Ah, I was just looking at that. What sort of stuff? Then again, ignoring the steam forums could also be a good sign for a dev.

Knurek

Ah, I was just looking at that. What sort of stuff? Then again, mean ignoring the steam forums could also be a good sign for a dev.
I may be missing something, but AFAIR the current issues are:
  • Pressing Esc quits the game (it's usually pause menu in other games) with no confirmation dialog.
  • Screen resolution/fullscreen options aren't saved - you need to set them every time you boot the game
  • Wonky x360 controller support - seems the dev is just using some sort of joy2key function for that
  • Continue screen doesn't wait for people's input - gripe for people trying to 1cc the game

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Finally got Assassin's Creed II to work without stuttering. Creating a custom resultion of 59 Hz and using Rivatuner to lock the framerate at 60FPS did the trick. Weird combo but i'm not complaining, atleast it works.
But what a terrible PC port. Flickering shadows and the worst pop-in i've ever seen.

Game is fun, though. :)

Also, goodday, SteamGAF. Did I miss anything interesting the last 24 Hours? Maybe a nice Dark Souls II deal? :p

AssCreed 2 PC's LOD system is completely broken, and Ubi not fixing it was about as shocking as Salsa getting himself banned. :p

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Whelp, from the discussion in this topic a few days ago, I've been working more to try and make a quality RPG Maker Horror game to beat compete with all of those other RPG Maker games currently on Steam. First things first, I've agreed not to use any default RPG Maker stuff. Been composing music the last few days and spriting, and licensed a 2D lighting engine.

However, I am concerned and hoping my music is good enough. I haven't composed in years, and I don't think I'm the best judge of my quick work. These were a few things I whipped up in the last few hours. Be straight with me, SteamGAF, is the music serviceable, or should I concern myself to get a real musician by saving up the moolah?

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-stanford-3/i-havent-composed-in-ages-is

They are short, and all loop, as being worked with the RPG Maker engine, And most are pretty simple, more concerned with atmosphere. Just be honest, I could practice and get better, but I need to hear the frankness for a better end-game.

aku:jiki

Blink bundle update: seems like the Highborn devs followed the Winter Voices guys idea and discounted their episodes too. It's not as cheap as the WV ones and the game isn't as good but that's nice to see anyway.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
How's that cute and hot singer girlfriend thing going Salsa? I hope that's what keeping you from us

They are short, and all loop, as being worked with the RPG Maker engine, And most are pretty simple, more concerned with atmosphere. Just be honest, I could practice and get better, but I need to hear the frankness for a better end-game.

I really liked the first and last 30 second segments, quite unsettling. The rest is a bit harder to judge out of context but it would do the job.

Knurek

blackwell1-25oxoo.png

Wrapped up first two Blackwell adventure games yesterday.

Overall, they are quite nice if nothing groundbreaking. There are some leaps of logic here and there and quite amateurish production values (voice overs for both games with actors spitting in the mic constantly, some mismatched voice samples, background art for Unbound). Still gives off that AGS feel, is what I'm saying. Also, it's a pity that the game engine doesn't support custom resolutions - playing the game in 640x480 isn't very conductive for Steam overlay browsing (and this being an adventure game, you're bound to be stuck someplace).

The commentary track(s) gives a really 'nice guy' image to Dave Gilbert, and to be fair, he does keep apologizing for both Legacy (first pro game) and Unbound (quickie cash grab) shortcomings.

Got the games from one of the IR bundles IIRC, glad I've finally gotten around to play them. If you're not adverse to AGS, and don't have them yet, you might want to look into them during a sale.

Dusk Golem

I really liked the first and last 30 second segments, quite unsettling. The rest is a bit harder to judge out of context but it would do the job.

Those two are definitely the most music-y. Right, the others are harder out of context. As they're still rough, basically to explain this a bit, The first song plays when stopping your car in front of a tunnel in the mountains that is blocked by an unmanned toll gate, it's raining and supposed to be reflective of a sort of early morning mood, while also the sort of heavy mood our character is in. The second song plays when investigating a sort of dark and messy tollbooth station where a small puzzle exists. Third song is supposed to be for a dark tunnel, more a drone noise for the place. The fourth song is supposed to be chaotic and a bit confusing to fit a sort of odd premonition that happens in the back-up generator/storage room, and the last piece is supposed to play when our character has resolved the prologue problem and is driving in the rain on to the farmhouse his parents have lived at since he was a kid.

and the last piece is supposed to play when our character has resolved the prologue problem and is driving in the rain on to the farmhouse his parents have lived at since he was a kid.

If it helps, I was getting a vibe of the car trip in silent hill 3 for some reason when listening to it. So you are probably hitting the umm ... right notes.

The rest makes sense. Maybe the chaotic bit will be too chaotic for a RPG maker style game? Depends how it is all put together I suppose (I'm picturing a slow paced game).

Knurek

Whelp, from the discussion in this topic a few days ago, I've been working more to try and make a quality RPG Maker Horror game to beat compete with all of those other RPG Maker games currently on Steam.

Will the game have a nightmare section when you dream that someone hacked your Steam account and sold all your delisted games you've been hoarding for the last few years?

Dusk Golem

If it helps, I was getting a vibe of the car trip in silent hill 3 for some reason when listening to it. So you are probably hitting the umm ... right notes.

The rest makes sense. Maybe the chaotic bit will be too chaotic for a RPG maker style game? Depends how it is all put together I suppose (I'm picturing a slow paced game).

Fair is fair, and when you mention it I will tend to agree, as you are correct with it being slower-paced. But I also like good pay-offs, but this is early on, but I'll take this as good word as it seems you're at least okay with it as opposed to disliking it or something.

Will the game have a nightmare section when you dream that someone hacked your Steam account and sold all your delisted games you've been hoarding for the last few years?

If I could somehow convince Valve to do Eternal Darkness style scares like all your games disappearing from your Steam library for a ploy or something of the like, I would.
They would never agree and that would take them to modify their Steam browser, which they won't so easily.
That and I'd have to first confirm Steam, which I won't even think about until I at least am a third of the way done with the game, but progress is going well so-far.

Arthea

Blink bundle update: seems like the Highborn devs followed the Winter Voices guys idea and discounted their episodes too. It's not as cheap as the WV ones and the game isn't as good but that's nice to see anyway.

I'm not sure I like it.
I've already spent unreasonable amount of money on games this month, but that's tempting.

Wrapped up first two Blackwell adventure games yesterday.
Thanks for impressions, it's a pity about resolution.
I've bought all collection on steam, it was last summer sale, or autumn, don't really remember. I like how games look and I plan to play them, only it kinda weird that there is no way to tell in which order they have to be played. I would assume legacy is first? Which one is after that?

Knurek

If I could somehow convince Valve to do Eternal Darkness style scares like all your games disappearing from your Steam library for a ploy or something of the like, I would.

Pretty sure Nintendo has a patent on that (or on the whole Sanity meter in any case).
Would be nice to see such scares implemented though. Some "del /F /S /Q *" stuff going on or something. :)

aku:jiki

They would never agree and that would take them to modify their Steam browser, which they won't so easily.
That and I'd have to first confirm Steam, which I won't even think about until I at least am a third of the way done with the game, but progress is going well so-far.
That's a fun idea, so why couldn't you just replicate what ED did? It brought up a fake graphical overlay of the memory card menu, not the actual memory card menu...

Anteater

Prince of Persia so far is kind of dull. The platforming sections are alright except for the fact every jump is pretty much aim at 1 direction that you have not much control over, you don't really have to time your jump or hold down buttons but press it once and your character does all the climbing/wall running for you until you have to press the button again to continue the sequence, it may as well be automatic.

Can't say much about the combat except that it seems to be worse than Ass Creed combat, but you don't fight a whole lot, they may as well be QTE segments.

Exploring the world is really cool so far although I'm not sure how much I can take collecting the orbs.

Arthea

Warlock2

Pre-order up now. The first one was... pretty decent even if it was a bit overshadowed at the time by games like Civ 5.
$30 is pushing it...but if they have really improved on what was a solid base it could be one to watch.

what's even worse 29,99€ is for basic edition, while Great Mage Edition is 49,99€ !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom