• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Blink bundle update: seems like the Highborn devs followed the Winter Voices guys idea and discounted their episodes too. It's not as cheap as the WV ones and the game isn't as good but that's nice to see anyway.
Wow, I didn't even notice the bundle. I've been waiting for a sale on Winter Voices for like two years, and this seems like the best time to grab the whole thing.

Pachimari

Yeah, sounds like some silly conspiracy theory unless if they can produce some sort of proof that at least part of the keys in this sale will be provided by unauthorised resellers.

I would assume they're talking about Team Fortress 2 keys which you can buy from the Steam market or via forum resellers, you trade them for games which someone has. But wtf 70 keys?!

Yeah, he told me 70 keys.

I'll make it my Steam goal to get a copy of Mafia.

By the way, I'm thinking of connecting my HMZ-T1 HMD to play 3D games but are there a lot of those on Steam?

JordanKZ

My Logitech MX1000 mouse started acting up after almost a decade of faithful service so I had to retire it.

My MX1000 is still going strong, 9 years after I bought mine. Its now my work mouse... and it has a better battery life than my newer MX Performance Mouse.

I still think its the best mouse Logitech ever made.

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah, he told me 70 keys.

I'll make it my Steam goal to get a copy of Mafia.

By the way, I'm thinking of connecting my HMZ-T1 HMD to play 3D games but are there a lot of those on Steam?

I don't think you will be able to get a copy of it for less than 100$.

Which reminds me that I really need to buy Deadpool from someone before it becomes really rare.

MUnited83

For you.
I sold my Deadpool a few weeks ago for 13 keys. Maybe a bad move?

Heh, that depends. I think the prices will still hold for quite a while (many people have quite a few copies @12 keys), but I wouldn't be surprised if in a year it's selling for at least double that.

Wasn't that third one perchance called Albion? ;)
Wow, I think you're the first person I know of that liked these games. O_O

The third one was going to be based on the Arthurian legend and was going to use the updated serpent isle engine. I expect it would have been fantastic.

Sadly the world of Ultima games sold like shit, so it never got made. So yes by that, I might be one of the few people who liked them.

Also I'm old.

Turfster

Is this something new I'm not aware of? Everything gets bundles now.

This has been counting down for a few days.
I'd hold off, though, because from what people have pieced together, they're apparently working in cooperation with shady key resellers.

Edit: Beaten so badly it's not even funny anymore.
That's what I get for posting first and reading more scrollback later =p

Arthea

The third one was going to be based on the Arthurian legend and was going to use the updated serpent isle engine. I expect it would have been fantastic.

Sadly the world of Ultima games sold like shit, so it never got made. So yes by that, I might be one of the few people who liked them.

Also I'm old.

I was part of the problem, I skipped those, I think I moved from Ultima to M&M at that time. I did play VII though.

edited:
and I'm not old, I just lived some

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Aren't we all, Hunter of Todds, aren't we all?
LOAD "*",8,1, if you know what I mean.
I remember playing with my dad's C-128 when I was a little kid. He had Bruce Lee, Giana Sisters, Zorro and several more I don't even remember. Then when the disk drive stopped working, he downloaded an emulator on PC so I could keep playing them. Good times.

Nzyme32

I sold my Deadpool a few weeks ago for 13 keys. Maybe a bad move?

It's a bit different. I think deadpool had a brief warning period, so people stocked up on extra copies to gift. Mafia 1 on the other hand I'm not too sure about. I assume if there are keys it must have been some point after the gifting system started that it was removed. I don't think there was any notice given. Makes me worry about what will happen to Mafia 2. Mafia 1 is a great game though

MUnited83

For you.
He said $90 or equal to 70 keys.

90$ is much better than 70 keys as you spend quite a bit more buying to buy all those keys.

Just bought one back for 12 keys :p

You did well, hold it and you will easily profit on it. I will try to get a couple of them myself. One for me, as I loved the game on the PS3, and one to resell.

Which reminds me: Anybody owns the map pack for it? Is it worth it?

The_Monk

This has been counting down for a few days.
I'd hold off, though, because from what people have pieced together, they're apparently working in cooperation with shady key resellers.

Edit: Beaten so badly it's not even funny anymore.
That's what I get for posting first and reading more scrollback later =p

Thanks turfster. ;)

Hoping for a neat bundle today. We already had a E-book bundle so, Audiobook bundle today? *runs*

Pachimari

Yeah, that disappeared overnight, which is why I picked up three copies on the cheap.

I'm just curious, how do you get all of these rare games and keys? Do you just go to the marketplace and buy keys for easonable prices and buy the games with those keys? :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm just curious, how do you get all of these rare games and keys? Do you just go to the marketplace and buy keys for easonable prices and buy the games with those keys? :)

Yeah, but in cases where a finite life is easy to predict (e.g. the Family Guy game) then I just wait for a sale and buy spares through my usual trader.

Arthea

So, it seems that we'll have many pulled out games after GFWL finally dies for good. Meaning people who bought those games, won't be able to play them anymore. That's not very nice, putting it mildly.

... who don't exist, therefor sending the game into a black hole.

It's not a big loss fortunately. There are very addictive and satisfactory puzzle games and many of them, while Droplitz is not. Idea isn't bad, it just don't quite work.

Tizoc

I was half expecting Yaiba to drop in price by now, as I assume at best 100ish people bought it =P
Ah well I'll use $5 off my Steam Credit to drop the price to $43, I'm sadly still can't get into Key Trading.

Knurek

So, it seems that we'll have many pulled out games after GFWL finally dies for good. Meaning people who bought those games, won't be able to play them anymore. That's not very nice, putting it mildly.

Other than Bulletstorm, you will be still able to play the unfixed GfWL games using offline profile, just without achievements/leaderboards/MP.

DLC won't work, either.

What would be affected by that? Bioshock 2 is Steamworks, can't recall any other games with notable DLC. Fallout 3 has a user fix IIRC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ah, if I was aware of that I would've picked up spares during the Autumn Sale. Oh well.

You'll remember their earlier title KrissX being pulled.

I don't think anything else they made (Encleverment Experiment, PowerUp Forever, Invincible Tiger, Dead to Rights Retribution, the Burger King games, most of Konami's karaoke games, a ton of movie license stuff, one or two of the platforms for Epic Mickey 2) was ever on Steam?

Zeeman

I don't think anything else they made (Encleverment Experiment, PowerUp Forever, Invincible Tiger, Dead to Rights Retribution, the Burger King games, most of Konami's karaoke games, a ton of movie license stuff, one or two of the platforms for Epic Mickey 2) was ever on Steam?

Man, if Sneak King had been on Steam I would have grabbed that in a second

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I wasn't aware that Blitz was involved with KrissX. :(

Not to my knowledge. Annoyingly you can filter SteamDB's app listings by developer but not publisher so short of combing through Wikipedia's list I can't be certain.

aku:jiki

Sounds like good riddance! I think I hate all of those games.

StAidan

Just finished watching Free to Play. I thought it was a pretty decent feature, giving a bit of a glimpse into the lives of the competitors and the tournament itself without overstaying its welcome. I've never played Dota and I don't watch competitive gaming, but as even as a regular gamer (who has played online games) it was easy to identify in a small way with the mentality with which these guys approach gaming in general.

I'll definitely go forward and watch the bonus features as well.

Knurek

Actually a serious question:

With the alluded success of PSN+, what do you think are the chances of Valve pulling a similar thing, and requiring all current users to pay a monthly fee for access to their current library?

I'm not talking about a monthly payment to access the everything-goes sub, just stuff you have bought previously.

Simple change in the SSA would force us to either comply (and pay up) or lose access to our libraries - exactly as was the case with that 'waiving the rights for class action lawsuit' SSA kerfluffle two years ago.

What do you think? If not now, maybe in a few years (or, more realistically, after Gaben is no more the head of company). With all the self-publishing push (and implied loss of actual store sales since the devs can generate an infinite amount of keys with no Valve cut), Valve might need this to recouple hosting/server costs.

r3n4ud

With the alluded success of PSN+, what do you think are the chances of Valve pulling a similar thing, and requiring all current users to pay a monthly fee for access to their current library?

I'm not talking about a monthly payment to access the everything-goes sub, just stuff you have bought previously.

Simple change in the SSA would force us to either comply (and pay up) or lose access to our libraries - exactly as was the case with that 'waiving the rights for class action lawsuit' SSA kerfluffle two years ago.

What do you think? If not now, maybe in a few years (or, more realistically, after Gaben is no more the head of company). With all the self-publishing push (and implied loss of actual store sales since the devs can generate an infinite amount of keys with no Valve cut), Valve might need this to recouple hosting/server costs.
If this occurs, their servers better be rock solid with no downtime. Not the mess we've been having lately.

MUnited83

For you.

That makes no sense at all, and PS+ is not required at all for access to your library.

Knurek

That makes no sense at all, and PS+ is not required at all for access to your library.

AFAIK, in PSN+, you lose access to free games if you stop paying for the enhanced service.

That would be the end of steam for me.
And I doubt it is as easy to pull as you think.

For me as well. Sure, loads of games have either DRM-free version on GOG/Humble, or a crack in places, but still, not all of them. Losing access to your library would be a terrible thing to happen to a lot of people here, and an 'Evil' Valve might want to bank on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom