• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deques

it might be a con

tastes_of_vanilla said:
It looks like a key reseller has conned Paypal into accepting them as being legit.
Here's what happens:
  1. I list all my extra bundle keys with this site
  2. They promote them through this Paypal "sale"
  3. You pay
  4. You redeem
  5. You find the key is used, or locked
  6. You are out of luck because you won't be able to chargeback.
Be very very wary of this "deal".
All of us mods here love deals. I post as many as I find. But this? No way will I risk losing my money or my Paypal account over. I honestly believe that this "deal" could mean both.

Knurek

Thanks for impressions, it's a pity about resolution.
I've bought all collection on steam, it was last summer sale, or autumn, don't really remember. I like how games look and I plan to play them, only it kinda weird that there is no way to tell in which order they have to be played. I would assume legacy is first? Which one is after that?

Yeah, it's clearly a cost-cutting measure - AGS games can be native up to 1024x768 I believe. Much easier to do all the artwork in 320x240 though.
Series order can be looked up on Wikipedia.

Forgot to mention, but the second game has an amazing score. 70's jazz inspired I'd say.

alstein

what's even worse 29,99€ is for basic edition, while Great Mage Edition is 49,99€ !

Given the choice between AOW3 and Warlock 2, it's a no-brainer for me to go with AOW3.
Especially since it looks like they're going with some pretty scuzzy pre-order DLC.

Warlock can wait for a sale.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Exactly what is he basing that on? It sounds like wild speculation and the fact that he thinks PayPal would close his account for any reason related to this makes him sound quite naive.

Even assuming that PayPal and a reseller have teamed up for a sale, the idea that people would lose money and possibly their PayPal accounts due to being mislead by PayPal itself doesn't really make much sense. "Oh, we're sorry we promoted a scam, but unfortunately you're SOL. Bye."

Edit: I see the site is selling a Polish Black Ops key for $7.65. I'm tempted to jump on it as I'd then have every Call of Duty game save for Ghosts.

Deques

Exactly what is he basing that on? It sounds like wild speculation and the fact that he thinks PayPal would close his account for any reason related to this makes him sound quite naive.

He is a mod in a subreddit where people post deals. And have seen a lot scam posts.

tastes_of_vanilla said:
Links have been posted in this thread which have been autoremoved because they point to an unauthorised reseller. I - and others - have followed those, done some checking and have verified that this sale will involve an unauthorised key reseller.
Why did I post it? because it was going to be posted anyway.
All I can say is look how the sub has been run - we have always pointed to legit deals where when you spend your money you know exactly what you will get. We want good deals, we want want more gaming for your cash.
This sub isn't a crapshoot where you spend and hope.
When this deal goes live we will post that we honestly believe that you should ignore it.

aku:jiki

Even assuming that PayPal and a reseller have teamed up for a sale, the idea that people would lose money and possibly their PayPal accounts due to being mislead by PayPal itself doesn't really make much sense. "Oh, we're sorry we promoted a scam, but unfortunately you're SOL. Bye."
Exactly, that doesn't make any sense, and PayPal closing accounts willy-nilly doesn't make any sense either. Their entire business is handling money and they're known for not being a very moral company. They would never close your account unless you pulled some crazy fraud shenanigans.

Also, did this bundle key site hack the official World of Tanks site and add that info according to this tinfoil hat?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/205990/

Pre-order up now. The first one was... pretty decent even if it was a bit overshadowed at the time by games like Civ 5.
$30 is pushing it...but if they have really improved on what was a solid base it could be one to watch.

what's even worse 29,99€ is for basic edition, while Great Mage Edition is 49,99€ !

Yikes. And $30 is NOT £24.99! (It's actually £18.16 at current conversion rates). IIRC the first game was £14.99 at launch. Sorry, Paradox, this is high on my wishlist but at that price I think I'll wait for a sale. (Unless somebody bites the bullet and reports that it is truly amazing.)

EDIT:

Given the choice between AOW3 and Warlock 2, it's a no-brainer for me to go with AOW3.
Especially since it looks like they're going with some pretty scuzzy pre-order DLC.

Warlock can wait for a sale.

Yep, pretty much.

Knurek

Exactly, that doesn't make any sense, and PayPal closing accounts willy-nilly doesn't make any sense either. Their entire business is handling money and they're known for not being a very moral company.

122941d1350089944t-rumor-playbook-2-coming-2013-25667579.jpg

PayPal being called moral... Well... That's... something.

//EDIT: Oops, misread your post. Still, seeing PayPal and moral in the same sentence is not something one sees everyday.

Arthea

Last Dream
I find myself regretting that it's an RPG maker game, from low res to sluggish movement to other things. For example, there is fishing in this game, but it is of kind that was in first BoF games, no minigame involved, you just buy bait, fishing rod and click on a fishing spot. Same can be said about treasure digging, you buy treasure maps, go to spot and just press action. These are little things but if there was more gameplay involved it could be fun. Crafting costs not only ingredients but money, what is a bummer.
Dungeons have sokoban puzzles, very simple ones so far, but it's still nice. One thing that makes me worry, in all dungeons there are places I can't get to, what means lots of backtracking later in game. :(
Gameplay customization options are awesome, you can choose encounter rate (a game features random encounters), save option, difficulty level, skip or not cutscenes. That's great.
Complete freedom after the start sequence of a game scares me a little. Let me explain why, I don't seem to have clearly defined goal, oh I have vague one about some artefacts and have some clues, but nothing concrete. I hope it doesn't mean I have to trigger some event to proceed, because I talked with everybody, nothing happened, so now I'm just roaming new opened continent and that's it.
Like in RPGs of old the money problem is harsh, resurrecting characters costs money, which I have very little of. Of course I could switch to lower difficulty and more encounters to remedy that (it's possible to do at any moment) but I'm reluctant.
Learnt my fist skills, so far nothing very useful except of white mage skills, these are essential, as items are expensive in this game.

On the more light note, it seems everybody in game has superior taste in reading, I encountered many of my favourite books in houses already! Funny nice touch.
Unfortunately I forgot to upload screenshots yesterday, will post some at later date.

alstein

Original Warlock was $20 at Launch.

It's also a really crowded market for TBS in the next 12 months, so overpricing what most folks assume is a budget game (it definitely has a lower budget than AOW3 and GalCiv3, the immediate competition), is a recipe for disaster.

If 2014 is to TBS games what 2012 was to fighting games, I could see this ending up this year's SFxTekken.

textonly

Neo Member
Is paypal's gaming deal site going to update or do we need to wait for grace chen
Some press info:
This Spring there's only one place for gamers to be. It's the PayPal Spring Gaming Sale. Expierience one of a kind event when PayPal is using their possibilities to present all the gamers out there the best offers they can possibly find. Make sure to visit www.paypal.com/gamingsale. For eight following weeks, starting 20.03.2014 at 19:00 GMT, you'll be able to discover great deals on games and gaming equipment and accesorries. Each Thursday you'll be presented with unique, special offers and amazing suprises. Expect the very best from G2A.COM, Spotify, Razer, Apple, Wargaming, Team 17 and more.

Here is just a sneak preview of first week's hottest deals: iTunes Gift cards 15% off, G2A Gift Cards 10% off, Worms Clan Wars 66%.

Deals:

EN Worms Clan Wars 66%

EN Race the Sun + Soundtrack 40% off -

EN World of Tanks (NA) 7 days of premium for free A special Premium Shop offer just for PayPal users. This package contains: E-25; 1 slot in World of Tanks; 3500 Gold; 7 days of premium.

EN iTunes Giftcards (US) 15% off Each iTunes code is redeemable for music, movies, TV shows, games, apps, and more on the iTunes Store, the iBook Store, the App Store, and Mac App Store.

EN Imperia Online Free Bonus Pack 35€ off You will get for free: 200 Diamonds, 1 Silver & 3 Wooden Chests with resources. 70% more Diamonds on the first purchase with PayPal and 20% more Diamonds on every other purchase during the week.

EN Razer Game Booster Win the all new Razer Blade Pro Win a Razer Blade Pro and more when you backup a save game with Razer Game Booster.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Could be worse. They could announce their own digital delivery platform for all their movies, shows and games and pull all their titles from pre-existing digital stores.
Worse than ruining Epic Mickey? I can't believe it. That was one of my most hyped games ever, and when it came out I couldn't last more than 3 hours before I was completely sick of it. It actually hurt even more than F.E.A.R. 3, because I never had high hopes for the latter.

Still, Warren Spector was redeemed in my mind after I played the masterpiece that is Deus Ex.

Pachimari

I'm confused, and I checked out the OP but couldn't find an answer.

What are "keys" about? I asked somebody about Mafia 1 and he told me it costs 70 keys.

What is it and how do I earn them?

hohoXD123

Exactly, that doesn't make any sense, and PayPal closing accounts willy-nilly doesn't make any sense either. Their entire business is handling money and they're known for not being a very moral company. They would never close your account unless you pulled some crazy fraud shenanigans.

Also, did this bundle key site hack the official World of Tanks site and add that info according to this tinfoil hat?

Yeah, sounds like some silly conspiracy theory unless if they can produce some sort of proof that at least part of the keys in this sale will be provided by unauthorised resellers.

I'm confused, and I checked out the OP but couldn't find an answer.

What are "keys" about? I asked somebody about Mafia 1 and he told me it costs 70 keys.

What is it and how do I earn them?

I would assume they're talking about Team Fortress 2 keys which you can buy from the Steam market or via forum resellers, you trade them for games which someone has. But wtf 70 keys?!

Arthea

So, worth the current price, or should we wait for a bundle/better deal?

so far it's a nice game, I don't regret buying it. Then again I can tolerate old school games very well. If you have what to play, and aren't dying for new oldstyle FF game, you can wait. OTOH, not that it's expensive or anything.

Knurek

so far it's a nice game, I don't regret buying it. Then again I can tolerate old school games very well. If you have what to play, and aren't dying for new oldstyle FF game, you can wait. OTOH, not that it's expensive or anything.

The thing is, I have a lot to play, including a 100 or so free (and some commercial) RPGMaker games and loads of older console ones (still haven't beaten even one Suikoden/Breath of Fire games). Just asking if the game is seriously $5.00 good, or more like $2.50 good.

radMonkey

Will I get more 25% codes from GMG with that free game giveaway if I create more STeam accounts and link them to other Playfire accounts?

Could do. Personally I wouldn't recommend it as it's against the T&Cs. Your account could be banned for that, but I'll be the first to admit that's not likely.

Arthea

The thing is, I have a lot to play, including a 100 or so free (and some commercial) RPGMaker games and loads of older console ones (still haven't beaten even one Suikoden/Breath of Fire games). Just asking if the game is seriously $5.00 good, or more like $2.50 good.

man, forget RPG maker, go play bloody Suikoden games multiple times, it's like most exasperating thing I've read all this week. You do know these are some of the best games of all times?
It can be already too late for older BoF games to be played for the first time. I replayed those couple of years ago and especially first game feels really dated, not to mention horrible translation of both.
In my book it is $5.00 good, but Suikoden games are $60 good!

Whelp, from the discussion in this topic a few days ago, I've been working more to try and make a quality RPG Maker Horror game to beat compete with all of those other RPG Maker games currently on Steam. First things first, I've agreed not to use any default RPG Maker stuff. Been composing music the last few days and spriting, and licensed a 2D lighting engine.

However, I am concerned and hoping my music is good enough. I haven't composed in years, and I don't think I'm the best judge of my quick work. These were a few things I whipped up in the last few hours. Be straight with me, SteamGAF, is the music serviceable, or should I concern myself to get a real musician by saving up the moolah?

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-stanford-3/i-havent-composed-in-ages-is

They are short, and all loop, as being worked with the RPG Maker engine, And most are pretty simple, more concerned with atmosphere. Just be honest, I could practice and get better, but I need to hear the frankness for a better end-game.

Pretty much liked it, I'm not a fan of the noise parts but you already explained the context so I guess it fits.

Edit: thank you Knurek for the gift.

Tizoc

man, forget RPG maker, go play bloody Suikoden games multiple times, it's like most exasperating thing I've read all this week. You do know these are some of the best games of all times?
It can be already too late for older BoF games to be played for the first time. I replayed those couple of years ago and especially first game feels really dated, not to mention horrible translation of both.
In my book it is $5.00 good, but Suikoden games are $60 good!

Yeah unless they get remade or there's a good fantranslation for them you might want to skip at least 1 and 2.

BoF3 and 4 are among the best in the series and their translation is good at least for the era.
BoF5 is divisive, go into it expecting a different kind of RPG instead of a BoF/Turn based RPG and you may like it.

Ban Puncher

My Logitech MX1000 mouse started acting up after almost a decade of faithful service so I had to retire it.

xipSWJb.jpg

Got a Logitech M950t to replace it. Not too shabby.

Arthea

Are you really judging all 5 of the BoF games based on the FIRST one?

BoF3 and 4 are among the best in the series and their translation is good at least for the era.
BoF5 is divisive, go into it expecting a different kind of RPG instead of a BoF/Turn based RPG and you may like it.

what are you even talking about? I was specifically saying older BoF games, meaning SNES ones. Why would I judge BoF, I adore BoF. Except V, that's no BoF.

Knurek

I was generally more of a DraQue/FinFan guy, and I always thought that 'catching them all' in Suikoden seemed like a tedious/walkthroughy kind of task. Might look into them though, maybe after I'm done with Skies of Arcadia?

First one was actually good, done by Square guys. Nothing on par with Vagrant Story/FF12 obviously, but I happen to like Ted Woolsey. Yes, the item/spell names are truncated, but that's certainly not something game-breaking.
Second one was beyond atrocious (I think only Wild ARMs 2 has a more terrible translation), but there's a great fan retranslation for the SNES version, which I plan to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom