• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Actually a serious question:

With the alluded success of PSN+, what do you think are the chances of Valve pulling a similar thing, and requiring all current users to pay a monthly fee for access to their current library?

I'm not talking about a monthly payment to access the everything-goes sub, just stuff you have bought previously.

Simple change in the SSA would force us to either comply (and pay up) or lose access to our libraries - exactly as was the case with that 'waiving the rights for class action lawsuit' SSA kerfluffle two years ago.

What do you think? If not now, maybe in a few years (or, more realistically, after Gaben is no more the head of company). With all the self-publishing push (and implied loss of actual store sales since the devs can generate an infinite amount of keys with no Valve cut), Valve might need this to recouple hosting/server costs.
That would be the end of steam for me.
And I doubt it is as easy to pull as you think.

I may be missing something, but AFAIR the current issues are:
  • Pressing Esc quits the game (it's usually pause menu in other games) with no confirmation dialog.
  • Screen resolution/fullscreen options aren't saved - you need to set them every time you boot the game
  • Wonky x360 controller support - seems the dev is just using some sort of joy2key function for that
  • Continue screen doesn't wait for people's input - gripe for people trying to 1cc the game

Continue screen waited for my input, but the rest is true from my experience.
The wonkiness in controllers support in my experience seems to be because the code is looking for the "default/preferred" gamepad... so if you don't have one set, it won't detect.

Other than Bulletstorm, you will be still able to play the unfixed GfWL games using offline profile, just without achievements/leaderboards/MP..

Fuck. Bulletstorm is going away for good and just won't work after GFWL dies?
That's TRAGIC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ubi got back to me about Settlers 7 and offered me what I assume is a Uplay key for the DLC. I guess that's that.

Knurek

Your free games, yes, not your paid library. That would be illegal in many countries.

If you read through SSA, you're not actually buying games on Steam. You're renting a license to play them, similar to Netflix/Spotify/etc.
Maybe I'm just paranoid, heck, I want to be paranoid here. :)

Locust

You'll remember their earlier title KrissX being pulled.

I don't think anything else they made (Encleverment Experiment, PowerUp Forever, Invincible Tiger, Dead to Rights Retribution, the Burger King games, most of Konami's karaoke games, a ton of movie license stuff, one or two of the platforms for Epic Mickey 2) was ever on Steam?

Fluttabyes and Mole Control.

e: and Buccaneer: The Pursuit of Infamy

MUnited83

For you.
AFAIK, in PSN+, you lose access to free games if you stop paying for the enhanced service.

For me as well. Sure, loads of games have either DRM-free version on GOG/Humble, or a crack in places, but still, not all of them. Losing access to your library would be a terrible thing to happen to a lot of people here, and an 'Evil' Valve might want to bank on that.
You lose access to free games, you don't lose access to your bought games, like you are suggesting... Such a thing will not ever ever happen. Extremely illegal, many people would sue Steam and every single person would completely hate the company if they did that.

Not even EA or Activision would do something like this, much less Valve.

aku:jiki

I just saw my pay slip, which was pretty sweet, and noticed that I already have much more spending money left over this month than I usually do... So of course I went ahead and bought every current bundle I didn't already get. Gotta get dat +35 game count. I'm coming for the SteamGAF top spot, Jase!

(I broke 200 today!)

Jawmuncher

Ubi got back to me about Settlers 7 and offered me what I assume is a Uplay key for the DLC. I guess that's that.

I still haven't gotten to MS about getting a steam key for Age of Empires 3.
Was trying to do so earlier this year but you can't even acess GFWL Marketplace if you aren't in a supported country. Even if you have a US account.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I just saw my pay slip, which was pretty sweet, and noticed that I already have much more spending money left over this month than I usually do... So of course I went ahead and bought every current bundle I didn't already get. Gotta get dat +35 game count. I'm coming for the SteamGAF top spot, Jase!

(I broke 200 today!)

JaseC isn't even #2 on SteamGAF, let alone #1, and he's above 2500 games. Hahaha. It's a long game you're playing, and an expensive one, because as a latecomer you'll plateau below the other guys and need to spend massive amounts of resources to get delisted games. But I know you're quite the 360 collector, so I'm sure you have it in you. Best of luck in your quest!

JaseC

JaseC isn't even #2 on SteamGAF, let alone #1, and he's above 2500 games. Hahaha. It's a long game you're playing, and an expensive one, because as a latecomer you'll plateau below the other guys and need to spend massive amounts of resources to get delisted games. But I know you're quite the 360 collector, so I'm sure you have it in you. Best of luck in your quest!

You say that like I'm far behind. :p textonly > Xelios > Valis > Me.

Edit: To explain, I think I've missed the boat on too much stuff to catch up to text, and me being late to the collecting game is why I'm not overly fussed about where I sit in ranks, but I think I'll edge ahead of Valis within the next couple of months and maybe at least catch up to Xel during the Summer Sale (assuming I have as much to spend as I'm expecting).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Exactly. Take it from someone who opened their Steam account on April 15, 2011 and now has 1,673 games almost 3 years later. Even if you buy everything on sale or as part of a bundle (like I have at least 90% of the time) you're still looking at spending thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars on your Steam collection. I've been fortunate enough to acquire a few of the games that have been removed from Steam before I started using it, but not many. And they're almost all super expensive and getting more so every day.

I'm not trying to discourage you by any means, I absolutely love it and (obviously) use Steam every day. As Stump says though, it's a long and expensive quest to be a "Steam Collector".

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ulgzbKC.png
War of the Human Tanks (Desura) -- MB-E8139A5446CF901E - Taken by tylergregg. 1 entrants total.

t1395328481z1.png

Grief.exe

That puts things in perspective.

I personally take steps to keep my Steam count down. I don't want to accumulate large quantities of games that I have no intention of playing, I have a difficult time finishing those games I do want to play!

I actually have been avoiding bundles entirely with large quantities of games that I do not want.

Arthea

I feel I became a collector without even trying, never was one inspite of having hundreds of games. It feels like it mostly because I bought so many games on steam I already have or don't plan to play, and of course, I blame Jasec for it! But I decided not to go after discontinued games anymore, and so far I keep myself in check at least at this.

oh ya, forgot to mention, I'm at 879 games, it already feels a lot as I don't remember what I have and what not, most of the time lol

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
*checks my library*

Bulletstorm: Check!
Droplitz: Check!
Blade Kitten: Nope, at least it'll be back.
Archeblade DLC: Nope

Not worried about the particular subs for GTA or Bioshock, since I already have all the games.

Anything else get removed last night?

oh ya, forgot to mention, I'm at 879 games, it already feels a lot as I don't remember what I have and what not, most of the time lol

Don't worry man, that's literally why Enhanced Steam exists.

MUnited83

For you.
It will certainly be quite entertaining to see what happens when Valve opens up the store to unregulated self-publishing. The sheer quantity of games that will be removed from the Store because of one issue or another...

JaseC am cry. Or laugh maniacally.

JaseC

I feel I became a collector without even trying, never was one inspite of having hundreds of games. It feels like it mostly because I bought so many games on steam I already have or don't plan to play, and of course, I blame Jasec for it! But I decided not to go after discontinued games anymore, and so far I keep myself in check at least at this.

Haha, the only reason I caught the collecting bug is because 2012 is when Valve moved the Summer Sale to July, making it coincide perfectly with tax time here; I bought what I wanted as the sale days ticked by, but on the last day or so I still had a fair bit of money to spare, so I began buying whatever was cheap. If that didn't happen I'd probably still, to this day, just be buying what interests me (which, needless to say, isn't a lot).

derExperte

I still try to avoid adding games that I have no interest in to my library. Reminds of my DVD collector's days, some of the other libraries were stuffed with rubbish and I thought it kind of devalued the whole collection. Maybe irrational and I'm not proud of every game I own but I'm quite pleased with the overall quality I've got.

Mrbob

Cloudbuilt is now out on Steam. Anyone pick it up? Art style is amazing and it looks like a potential buy for Mirrors Edge fans. Waiting on impressions though.

The_Monk

Don't worry JaseC you may not be the GAFfer with most games on Steam but you are the most helpful-member-with-one-of-the-biggest-steam-library-on-GAF. That has to count for something!

This award does not add a +1 Steam game to your account. Sorry :/

Chronoja

Quick question: Does everyone have a copy of Magicka: Wizard Wars in their library or something? Was going to buy it cause it's one of those "going f2p" games but I apparently already own it having never purchased anything, anyone know what's up with that?

Grief.exe

Should I get Banished as a bday present to myself? Or should I just wait for a sale?

In reality, I have enough games to tide me over, but it does look quite good.

JaseC

I need more Russians on my friends list, haha. The three I have are either offline or AFK.

Don't worry JaseC you may not be the GAFfer with most games on Steam but you are the most helpful-member-with-one-of-the-biggest-steam-library-on-GAF. That has to count for something!

This award does not add a +1 Steam game to your account. Sorry :/

If it doesn't count as game then it doesn't count as anything. :p
<3

Quick question: Does everyone have a copy of Magicka: Wizard Wars in their library or something? Was going to buy it cause it's one of those "going f2p" games but I apparently already own it having never purchased anything, anyone know what's up with that?

It was given to owners of Mount & Blade when Paradox handed the rights back to Taleworlds.

JaseC

Hoping for a a Steam Spring sale today. Or at least I will go over to GMG and pick up Strider and RE4 using the 25% codes I have.

There has never been a Spring Sale. Last year there was an Indie Sale but it remains to be seen if history will repeat itself.

def sim

(I broke 200 today!)

It's good to have goals. I hope you succeed in yours, provided it doesn't hurt your wallet too much!

Li Kao

Uh, guys guys... I think the time is approaching ! With all my recent troubles I must confess I had lost the desire to play, but I sense it's coming back !!! Action games, RPG, strategy... feelings, feelings everywhere.
But first, as I'm tempted to watch "Indie games: the movie" and "Free to play"... can someone who has bought it confirm the informations given on steam that there is no subb at all in the "Indie games DLC". Really ? Steam announce just english interface and sound. No fucking subbs ?
I must leave you now, I feel the will to play Dark Soul rising here.

Jag

Given the choice between AOW3 and Warlock 2, it's a no-brainer for me to go with AOW3.
Especially since it looks like they're going with some pretty scuzzy pre-order DLC.

Warlock can wait for a sale.

But I can't wait for AOW3. 11 days away. Buying W2 now gets you Beta access!

Edit: Ugh, $50 for the Great Mage edition.

Dolor

Actually a serious question:

With the alluded success of PSN+, what do you think are the chances of Valve pulling a similar thing, and requiring all current users to pay a monthly fee for access to their current library?

I'm not talking about a monthly payment to access the everything-goes sub, just stuff you have bought previously.

Simple change in the SSA would force us to either comply (and pay up) or lose access to our libraries - exactly as was the case with that 'waiving the rights for class action lawsuit' SSA kerfluffle two years ago.

What do you think? If not now, maybe in a few years (or, more realistically, after Gaben is no more the head of company). With all the self-publishing push (and implied loss of actual store sales since the devs can generate an infinite amount of keys with no Valve cut), Valve might need this to recouple hosting/server costs.

If you look at all of Valve's recent initiatives, every single one of them is about giving customers more options and not forcing anyone to do anything. And if you listen closely to what they say, that is actually very intentional on their part because they know how important (read: valuable) consumer goodwill is.

I would give this a roughly 0% chance of happening in the next 5-10 years.

That puts things in perspective.

I personally take steps to keep my Steam count down. I don't want to accumulate large quantities of games that I have no intention of playing, I have a difficult time finishing those games I do want to play!

I actually have been avoiding bundles entirely with large quantities of games that I do not want.

I have done this as well. I am actively adding exclusions to my criteria to avoid buying more and more games that I don't have time to play.

A lot of games that I even think I would like I am passing up for relatively unimportant reasons like no trading cards or whatever.

JaseC

It will certainly be quite entertaining to see what happens when Valve opens up the store to unregulated self-publishing. The sheer quantity of games that will be removed from the Store because of one issue or another...

JaseC am cry. Or laugh maniacally.

Haha, it'll certainly be very interesting when Valve opens those floodgates.

You got a spring sale a few months ago! ;)

Psh, nice try, Valve. :p

The_Monk

Uh, guys guys... I think the time is approaching ! With all my recent troubles I must confess I had lost the desire to play, but I sense it's coming back !!! Action games, RPG, strategy... feelings, feelings everywhere.

Great news Li Kao, good to see things are shaping up. Let me know if there's anything you ever need that you believe I can help with. As for the games, play away, I admit that it feels good when you recover from something less positive and we find something nice to play to distract ourselves. :)

r3n4ud

WTH I never grabbed it since for some reason it wasn't on sale during the holidays.

You and me both man :/

You know, this is why I tell my wife I should be purchasing games I want rather quickly in case they disappear. Like when she goes shopping and regrets not picking up a shirt she wanted and going back a week later and it's gone. Of course she doesn't see it my way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom