• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Only Wolfpack DLC for Payday 1 is on sale for the Payday sale. Base game (PD1/2) are the only things on sale as well.

DISAPPOINTED.jpg

I'll get the Wolfpack content while the PD2 content leaves a LOT to be desired for their price

Huh. An hour later the DLC is on sale.

Someone at Valve or Overkill is reading this thread.

Normal I guess, not really into the trader stuff. Just looking for an American/Australian dude to buy the pack for cheaper because I'm european. Still, if anyone can find a better price through a trader, let me know

Alright, I'm looking in with my normal trader -- if he comes back to me before your'e ready, we can possibly go through him (I'd be willing to front the 4-pack in that case for sure).

The season pass for Bioschock Infinite is never on sale, it was once by accident and I missed out on that. If the game is 75% off, the DLC should be 75% off. I'm not paying 20$ for Burial at Sea and I don't care about Clash in the Clouds.

JDHarbs

Origin and Uplay aren't so much competition to each other as they are to Steam.

I've seen Origin selling Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed III and IV, for example.
It's not "on uPlay", it's basically buying an Origin key on uPlay. And EA and Ubisoft have had a deal on this kind of thing for a while now.
I guess this goes to show just how little I've paid attention to those 2 services over the years.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JaseC, followup from Blitz Games earlier; Xbox Live has a pretty steep sale on a bunch of DLC for Yoostar, which is this really shitty camera game where you can insert video of yourself into stuff, but I mention it because the game is made by Blitz. So I'm guessing that something in their publishing contracts had some key date around now and Blitz ceasing to exist means their stuff is being pulled. You might want to cross-reference to make sure they don't have anything else on Steam you're missing.

The season pass for Bioschock Infinite is never on sale, it was once by accident and I missed out on that. If the game is 75% off, the DLC should be 75% off. I'm not paying 20$ for Burial at Sea and I don't care about Clash in the Clouds.

I wouldn't hold your breath! Putting a base game on sale when the pub thinks they've exhausted sales at full price in order to encourage purchase of the DLC seems to be the publishing modus operandi now. I agree with you but that seems to be how it works now.

OrangeOak

What happens if I use a steam code for a game that I already own?
is that code lost?
Also it is really stupid that when you are redeeming a key for a game that you already have in your collection it doesn't say whether your key is already used or not.Instead it informs you that you already have that game.
There is no way to check which key is used and which is not :/

Corpekata

Banned
Just got an email stating I've been accepted into the Battleblock Theater beta, so you might want to check your email if you signed up. It hasn't actually started, they're just sending out notices.

Saddest news of the day.

From an interview NintendoLatino held with Collin van Ginkel, designer and one of the founders of Two Tribes:

The sequel, Toki Tori 2 really demonstrates the versatility this particular franchise has. Creating a very lush world, with a certain open-endedness to it, all while maintaining the puzzle mechanics of the original. Where can Toki Tori go next?

Well, since Toki Tori 2+ didn’t perform as well as we had hoped, we’ve decided that we are not going to be making a new Toki Tori game, ever. He’ll be back in some easter egg probably, but we are moving on and taking on other genres.

Source (features the interview in both English and Spanish.)

D:

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
That's such a terrible shame, Toki Tori 2+ is amazing and I've must have bought it at least 30 times (double dipped for myself, rest were gifts to others).

Still, I look forward to whatever next they make.

Tellaerin

I wouldn't hold your breath! Putting a base game on sale when the pub thinks they've exhausted sales at full price in order to encourage purchase of the DLC seems to be the publishing modus operandi now. I agree with you but that seems to be how it works now.

Another DLC pricing error will come.

And when it does... I'll be waiting.

*ties on bandana* *tightens knife strap* *cocks assault rifle* *strikes dramatic pose*

>.>

The sequel, Toki Tori 2 really demonstrates the versatility this particular franchise has. Creating a very lush world, with a certain open-endedness to it, all while maintaining the puzzle mechanics of the original.

downloadsdkzf.jpg

Tellaerin

Hopefully it's an improvement, of course looking for feedback if its any good, and reworking the other quick atmosphere tracks I made last night.

Really evocative stuff! :D (Are We There Yet? is my favorite of the bunch.) Can't wait to play the finished game so I can see the events and places they're meant to accompany. Good luck, man!

woo:

You've been selected for the BattleBlock Theater Steam Beta
Greetings <omitted>!

Are you ready to travel to the mysterious island of feral and technologically advanced felines? Well grab your catnip, buckle your pants, and get ready for our Steamiest ride of a lifetime.

You've been selected to join the fun and help us ensure our online co-op and arenas work at the most optimal state in the real world environment. Here's what to expect once the beta starts:

I'm probably crazy late, but was just watching a little 'tips' video on DS2. Some of the changes seem pretty welcome (healing crystals and such), but I'm pretty surprised the decision to include fast traveling between bonfires. Something I never thought I would see in a Souls game. It'll definitely make things easier, being able to jump back to base to restock instead of being SOL if you run out and can't get back.

Still can't wait.

I'm probably crazy late, but was just watching a little 'tips' video on DS2. Some of the changes seem pretty welcome (healing crystals and such), but I'm pretty surprised the decision to include fast traveling between bonfires. Something I never thought I would see in a Souls game. It'll definitely make things easier, being able to jump back to base to restock instead of being SOL if you run out and can't get back.

They are probably trying to bring the series back in line with former games like Dark and Demon Souls, which had fast travel between bonfires.

random

Thanks a lot for Legends! Cheerio!

Enjoy :)

And one more:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Driftmoon -- MB-E22560F88CE14E8D - Taken by topyy. 6 entrants total.

t1395359425z1.png

Again, enjoy.

Grief.exe

Seems that we might actually get a very good PC version of Dark Souls II. One of the Forbes contributors got close to a source on the issue.

“I sincerely don’t think they intended to deceive, but in the end they sacrificed a huge amount of graphical fidelity at the very end of development because they couldn’t resolve the framerate in any other way."

That is essentially what we have been theorizing since day one. If they truly were making desperate cuts at the last minute, then the graphical effects are probably finalized for the PC version.

To be completely honest, any engine resources/compatibility for the last-gen consoles are a sunk investment at this point anyways. From is looking forward to PC/next-gen which will be their future as a company.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...broken-on-consoles-before-graphics-downgrade/

Still can't wait.
Demon's Souls didn't have a contiguous world structure so it allowed you to warp everywhere out of necessity, but it's pretty much always been in the series in some form or another.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Fast travel is entirely there due to a return of the Demon's Souls central area hub and one person to speak to for levelling up. It's not there to make the game "easier" or more accessible by any means, as the game is still highly challenging, but rather to prevent rather huge source of tedium and annoyance that would be having to walk all the way back to that hub to level up each time.

They also took the time to make it so you don't get too many souls (outside of increasing difficulty right from the start once or twice, which gives more), so constantly going back and restocking will only hurt the player in the long run. Good design that.

As someone who prefers Demon's Souls to Dark Souls I, I really am loving this game for being closer to the former rather than the later in core concepts and certain decisions, while of course still being a lot of the good things that Dark Souls had to stand out. Not that far into it, but it could easily be my favourite of these titles [Towers, Kings, Demon's, Dark].

Shiny.

Wok

So I have bought the F2P pack through Dota 2 and I don't think Steam registered it as an additional DLC in my collection. How does it appear on your account page, JaseC?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, is that the new Jensen in The Fall? Because even though I hate Jensen's design in general, that one looks way more terrible and dudebro.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Seems that we might actually get a very good PC version of Dark Souls II. One of the Forbes contributors got close to a source on the issue.

“I sincerely don’t think they intended to deceive, but in the end they sacrificed a huge amount of graphical fidelity at the very end of development because they couldn’t resolve the framerate in any other way."

That is essentially what we have been theorizing since day one. If they truly were making desperate cuts at the last minute, then the graphical effects are probably finalized for the PC version.

To be completely honest, any engine resources/compatibility for the last-gen consoles are a sunk investment at this point anyways. From is looking forward to PC/next-gen which will be their future as a company.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...broken-on-consoles-before-graphics-downgrade/

not to shit on your parade Grief, but you are really grasping at straws now. That is no indication that the PC version will be good, in fact, its the opposite, I fully expect console parity now more than ever

also happy birthday :p

Echoplx

Has Overkill ever commented on their shitty patching system? I just deleted PAYDAY 2 because it causes so many issues when updating.

Had to manually delete the files just to get rid of it because Steam would crash when uninstalling.

The_Monk

Seems that we might actually get a very good PC version of Dark Souls II.

This is something that makes me happy just to read it, I'll keep being optimistic even if I'm the last one. If all else fails I just hope I can have fun with game. I can only hope the game to be satisfying regarding the visuals and I hope my humble-pc can handle it on the "optimal" settings.

By the way, Grief, Happy birthday? Or is on the 21st? You made me confused last time!

------

Side note, I honestly hope PC players can enjoy Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain later on because the visuals are simply incredible (rain, so much nice and beautiful rain!).

Honestly can't see any of these graphical options being in the PC version if they were cut from the console versions, but I have to admire your optimism :)

As someone who prefers Demon's Souls to Dark Souls I, I really am loving this game for being closer to the former rather than the later in core concepts and certain decisions, while of course still being a lot of the good things that Dark Souls had to stand out. Not that far into it, but it could easily be my favourite of these titles [Towers, Kings, Demon's, Dark].

Shiny.
I've been keeping myself mostly in the dark about it but prior to the console release when details would come out that gave people some idea of "casualizing" the game or being an otherwise bad change (life crystals, warping from the start, going to the hub to level up), I saw it as throwbacks to Demon's, which I quite preferred the structure of generally. The only thing I liked about Dark more was it having an awesome spear and less reliance on magic across the board. Speaking as someone who's currently mostly ignorant about 2 it comes as a melding of design between the two and I'm really excited to see what it's gonna be like for myself in about a month.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike

This is my thinking as well. Looking at several areas in DSII you can see they look unfinished, as if major graphical effects have been ripped out of the game at the last second to ensure stability and they didn't have time to implement an alternative. Hopefully the PC version's belated release is a sign they're making sure that their original vision is intact.

If I genuinely liked Bioshock Infinite more then maybe I might think 20$ is worth while for a piece of throwaway DLC (that I will never play, combat was not a highlight in Infinite), a short bit of story DLC and what will likely be another short bit of story DLC of currently unknown quality. But I don't.

Take 2 is denying itself more money in the pursuit of just that. I would buy it 5$, the people that would have bought it at 20$ have likely already done so but then they probably have some sales data to back up their shitty decision.

Demon's Souls didn't have a contiguous world structure so it allowed you to warp everywhere out of necessity, but it's pretty much always been in the series in some form or another.

I only remember a little bit about Demon's. I remember the hub world, but forgot it actually had warping. In that case, it looks like they are blending the two....which I'm fine with. The thing I love about DS is the 'evolving' world...where you are unlocking and opening paths through each place you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom