• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

crozier

Is there a list of games that are confirmed to stop working (or likely to stop working) when GFWL goes away? My backlog still has games like Resident Evil 5 and Dark Void that I haven't even touched yet. I'm playing through Red Faction: Guerilla at the moment (one of my favorites from last gen) but need to prioritize the rest of my backlog...

Grief.exe

This is not a dig at this thread at all, but getting on GAF has been very frustrating lately.

I feel like I am mainly just arguing against the ignorant, rather than participating in game discussion.

First two threads I jump into have people believing a Kickstarter project will cost $100 million, and the Steam controller is, 'stupid,' due to the lack of analog sticks.

ijTL1U5TMkfJ1.gif

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Is there a list of games that are confirmed to stop working (or likely to stop working) when GFWL goes away? My backlog still has games like Resident Evil 5 and Dark Void that I haven't even touched yet. I'm playing through Red Faction: Guerilla at the moment (one of my favorites from last gen) but need to prioritize the rest of my backlog...
I don't think Dark Void on Steam is GFWL, only the copy from the GFWL store is IIRC.

This is not a dig at this thread at all, but getting on GAF has been very frustrating lately.

I feel like I am mainly just arguing against the ignorant, rather than participating in game discussion.

First two threads I jump into have people believing a Kickstarter project will cost $100 million, and the Steam controller is, 'stupid,' due to the lack of analog sticks.

ijTL1U5TMkfJ1.gif

GAF giveth, and GAF taketh away. Such as it is.

By the way, happy birthday!

crozier

If you don't buy RE4 Steam edition Capcom will decide that we failed the RE5 Steamworks patch test. I wish I was joking.
So blackmail?

This GFWL debacle has turned me off of digital gaming somewhat. I know Valve said they'd patch their games for offline play if Steam ever goes South, but nothing you can do with the extra layer of DRM. Except crack it and risk an account banning.

Grief.exe

If you don't buy RE4 Steam edition Capcom will decide that we failed the RE5 Steamworks patch test. I wish I was joking.

Despite some issues that are quickly getting patched, its actually a very solid port. Hats off to QLOC for the state of the game and Capcom for the initial investment.

So blackmail?

This GFWL debacle has turned me off of digital gaming somewhat. I know Valve said they'd patch their games for offline play if Steam ever goes South, but nothing you can do with the extra layer of DRM. Except crack it and risk an account banning.

Much like using a VPN to access a game you own, Valve turns the other way when using cracks in a similar manner. It's your property, why would Valve move against a paying customer trying to gain access?

Happy perrybiblefellowshipclosertodeathday.jpg Grief!

So blackmail?

This would still be a bother if you had a physical PC release of the game. Swapping executables won't get you banned.

DocSeuss

ijTL1U5TMkfJ1.gif

Nah, I'm with you on this. It's frustrating opening up a thread on Oculus Rift and some kid's in there talking about how Oculus Rift has already lost the war against Sony and whatnot. I mean, what gives, guys?

I find myself retreating more and more into the warm, loving embrace of Steamgaf. And I think that's a problem. I want to have more awesome, in-depth discussions and stuff. I'm just not having them as much as I did, 'cause people who really like being combative and/or breaking moff's law tend to get in the way.

crozier

This would still be a bother if you had a physical PC release of the game. Swapping executables won't get you banned.
I guess I don't know enough about the technical side of cracking. So Valve doesn't have checks in place that look for a modified exe? Or they simply (so far) ignore it when they find it?

Enjoy
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Universe Sandbox -- MB-F3A6B4C122F28790 - Taken by Tellaerin
Kairo -- MB-49D268941FE45292 - Taken by KenOD
Gravity Badgers -- MB-2CF7F31FA08D40EF - Taken by Exuro
Knytt Underground -- MB-467FAB4130247214 - Taken by EdmondD

I guess I don't know enough about the technical side of cracking. So Valve doesn't have checks in place that look for a modified exe? Or they simply (so far) ignore it when they find it?
You can do pretty much whatever you like to your games on Steam, even hex edit with Cheat Engine. The only thing that crosses a line is once you start doing anything shady in VAC-enabled multiplayer games.

Grief.exe

I want to send out more thanks, but I don't want to clog the thread up.

Seriously, thanks though guys! Had a great day too, aced a difficult test, then went out to dinner/movie with my girl friend.

Frologic

Anyone have impressions Influent? Like can it be used to get a handle of the English language if its your 2nd Language?

I would like to know about it too, but concerning Japanese. Is it any helpful and fun enough to keep playing-learning?

I played about two hours with French and I like it a lot. If you're attempting to learn a language with this than you're out of luck. It's mainly a fun way to acquire some extra vocab by exploring your apartment full of items, so no grammer lessons or sentences. It's full of challenges and achievements to keep you motivated. For $10 I'd say it's a fun supplement to other language learning tools but you could easily replace this with Memrise or Duolingo.

Regarding the Japanese, there's a review on the steam page that seems negative about it. I would read that.

Decided to sell off some cards and I have now made over €300 on only the trading cards since June last year. Crazy that people actually buy these cards, but I love it.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

Thanks my friend. I look forward to exploring the world of Kairo.

May I suggest taking the time to focus on some threads dedicated to older ideas, be they are retrospectives or LTTPs or appreciation threads, or perhaps something celebrating an aspect of gaming like the "Your most sought after gaming pieces" or dedicated game OTs like Bravely Default, other communities such as iOS (where people had some good thoughts on in app purchases recently), or seeing some actual excitement and potential in fringe ideas like the Sony GDC eyetracking tech demo

I know I'm hardly an active talker on NeoGAF, but I'm an avid reader and sometimes it's quite helpful for me to just pull back and remind myself there is still plenty of discussion and sharing of thoughts and love and appreciation of this medium we are in love with, despite some problems that can grate on the nerves at times.

There is also the always helpful "stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread" , which despite it's name has had some good questions in it and it's always nice to help people learn something.
I'm hoping the question about oxygen and pressurised hallways for giant robots in the Transformers games becomes an actual thread just for the potential discussion that can come from reasoning that out.

Perhaps you just wanted to vent a little and don't need those suggestions, and if so, hopefully things get better from your perspective.

I thank you because I like having an excuse to refer to fun threads.

Perhaps you just wanted to vent a little and don't need those suggestions, and if so, hopefully things get better from your perspective.

Good advice.

For Grief, I can see a couple of hundred posts about the Dark Souls 2 situation. No doubt you feel quite strongly about that, but if you are putting a lot of mental energy into that it is only natural that other things will piss you off more easily.

We all know the feeling, best to just step back and read about some other things for a while.

Anyone who played Steamworld Dig:

Do you remember if toward the end Dark Matter is plentiful? I'm sitting here with 2 slots in my bag, 96 gold to my name, and a bunch of equipment upgrades ignored because I'm concerned I need another 10 dark matter to get the achievement and I don't want to bork it.

Anteater

It's a slippery slope if you choose only to respond to posts you don't like, most of them are drive by posts and I've seen a lot of gaffers turned really bitter doing just that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I want to send out more thanks, but I don't want to clog the thread up.

Seriously, thanks though guys! Had a great day too, aced a difficult test, then went out to dinner/movie with my girl friend.

Happy birthday.exe.

Fucking hell. Epic is now officially the second crappiest company after EA. GET IN THE DOGHOUSE.

It's a little baffling that Epic apparently can't even be bothered patching in offline profile support.

oipic

I know I'm hardly an active talker on NeoGAF, but I'm an avid reader and sometimes it's quite helpful for me to just pull back and remind myself there is still plenty of discussion and sharing of thoughts and love and appreciation of this medium we are in love with, despite some problems that can grate on the nerves at times.

Great post, KenOD - never mind the quantity, your posts are always top quality. No exception here.

I tend to fall into the trap of restricting myself to my subscribed threads (it's relatively rare that I wander into Gaming, or elsewhere), but some of those subbed threads I could probably do without (particularly those where real 'discussion' has run its course, and left a mess in its wake). I'm not actively participating in most of them, but some prompt that same sort of response from me that I think Grief is referring to. I should simply unsubscribe, and move on to other threads, such as those you've suggested, Ken... but habits, especially bad ones, are hard to break.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh, happy birthday Grief! Or should I say, HappyBirthday.Exe
/slapped

---

Also, thank you a lot people for the music impressions. I was busy working on some more today, so back here for ele'o feedback. For those who don't know, I'm not really a composer, but doing it for an RPG Maker Horror game I am currently going to try and get through Steam Greenlight somewhere in the future. Music is a trickier part for me, as I am not used to composing, but prancing and feedback is needed. I'm soon going to move this type of talk to the game dev topic, but as this helped inspired it and Greenlight is a secondary goal, asking here first, and the input has been wonderful.

Critique, opinion-ate, I just want honest impressions if it'll do.

---

So how this goes, I added an -insert- song to lead one song a bit easier into another that was posted earlier, so to describe a bit of the prologue area (which I've started working on as well with spriting), our main character stop his car in front of an unmanned tollgate located deep in the foresty mountains, in front of a tunnel. Our character is headed someplace a bit heavy, it is early morning and sprinkling, and with this track and a somewhat heavy heart, our character gets out of the car to investigate the tunnel and find someone to life the tollgate.

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-stanford-3/car-troubles (this one isn't new)

Now this one is new. He goes to the tollbooth near the tunnel entrance to find someone. But it's definitely abandoned, and a bit disorganized. There is a small puzzle to get a key to the storage room, which as a notice in the tollbooth mentions, also doubles as a generator room, which power is needed as it is currently out in the tunnel and the tollbooth. This is the song for the tollbooth, to support a small puzzle and help edge the last song and the next song together.

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-stanford-3/the-abandoned-toll-booth

However, to reach the storage room, you need to go through the tunnel, as its located in there. And as you leave the lit entrance of the tunnel and go into the deeper parts, the rain becomes stronger outside, and begins to echo into the tunnel. It gets dark, as you have to use limited lighting to find your way. The music from the last song is supposed to slowly fade away as you enter and this start when you get a certain depth in.

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-stanford-3/entering-the-tunnel-reworked (this one isn't new)

Ultimately, you find the storage room, but entering it, it doesn't seem quite right. A few odd things that don't make much sense for either a tunnel or a tollbooth rest here, and as you go inside, you witness a strange premonition. A theme to go with it.

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-stanford-3/storage (this one sounds a bit worse on Soundcloud I will note, it made one of the instruments blare-up, which it doesn't do in RPG Maker)

However, you restore power, raise the tollgate, and get on your way. This song plays in the following drive-off scene as you continue to your destination.

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-stanford-3/are-we-there-yet (this one isn't new)

Last music post here, but think this music would work for a prologue of a horror game? Any you think could be improved? Like, dislike, basically seeing if I can manage to do the music myself for a horror game to save on money and both practice add a personal touch, even if I'm not really a composer.

Tizoc

EDIT: Happy B-day Grief!

Well gonna get Yaiba installed later tonight when it releases.
Apparently Normal and higher are freakin' hard.

I played about two hours with French and I like it a lot. If you're attempting to learn a language with this than you're out of luck. It's mainly a fun way to acquire some extra vocab by exploring your apartment full of items, so no grammer lessons or sentences. It's full of challenges and achievements to keep you motivated. For $10 I'd say it's a fun supplement to other language learning tools but you could easily replace this with Memrise or Duolingo.

Regarding the Japanese, there's a review on the steam page that seems negative about it. I would read that.

Thanks, I might get it if only for the off chance I want to get a handling of Spanish or another language.
During a sale ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom