• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That was not the point, I think. Do you really care about scores while picking your games?
As I keep reminding, we can't play scores, we play games that cater to our particular tastes, while reviews are written by humans that can have nothing in common with our understanding of fun. There is at least one human liking Bad Rats (review was a hit in many steamgaf threads).

edited: for the record, I don't have Bad Rats either
I know man, I was trying to add a little humor to the discussion, given how much negativity seems to be around nowadays. Which is weird, because I am probably the most pessimistic and negative person I know in real life, lol

I don't care about scores, I care about opinions. Sometimes reviews can be helpful, and other times aren't.

I don't have it either, but one can always treat a game as their 'Bad Rats' =V
Well, I preordered Hitman Absolution, so...

:(

Tizoc

I need to watch these 2 hour speed runs of Thief 2014 after I beat it. I'm in Mission 3 and you can't even move around withou alerting someone on the other side of the wall.
Fucking flower pelts man.

Which brings me to something: In Deus Ex HR, one of the things I hate in it is how just WALKING will alert people. Nope gotta either crouch or walk slowly. I know it's a stealth game but come the fuck on...

derExperte

Although judging by previous MS behavior (from DX10 onwards), you will need Win9 to use DX12.

DX11 came out in 2009 together with W7 but was backported to Vista. And W9 will technologically be very close to W8 (and honestly I hope they don't backpedal too much elsewhere, got used to a lot of the new stuff). And most importantly there'll be a preview version this year. I know you don't like what MS is doing but no need for unreasonable speculations.

Tizoc

GMG were kind enough to provide me with a code to discount Wildstar, AC4 and Elder Scrolls Online, but sadly I never used those codes since I'm interested in those games =P
If I still have my wildstar code and it hasn't expired yet, I'll post it here.

Interested in Widlstar still though, so hopefully it goes for $20 come the Winter Seal.
Ah the Winter Seal.
...Has it really been 3 months since then GAF? Felt like so long ago.

Knurek

DX11 came out in 2009 together with W7 but was backported to Vista. And W9 will technologically be very close to W8 (and honestly I hope they don't backpedal too much elsewhere, got used to a lot of the new stuff). And most importantly there'll be a preview version this year. I know you don't like what MS is doing but no need for unreasonable speculations.

Actually I did not know about Vista backport, you're right, sorry.
Wish MS would support W7, I've switched from XP less than two years ago and I'm not planning on changing from it at least until 2020 (if possible).

The_Monk

You guys are missing out on Bad Rats.
Neogaf badge of honor. Cheddahz gifted it to me......so bad I haven't gone online when I played it.

Pff that's nothing since I discovered what people have been giving for those who already have Bad Rats. I found it on my birthday... the hard way. It's a Dino game!

I don't consider a game bad if I can spend 6 hours in it, far from bad (><)
Well, my mate basically guilt trip me into playing it, so I couldn't refuse no matter how much I wanted to.

The physics in the game are so crazy though, you'd have to always replay your set-up for a level multiple times to see if your solution was actually incorrect or if the games physics decided not to cooperate the previous times(Which is really common)

Doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results, that's not the definition of insanity, that's playing Bad rats.

Li Kao

Oh, I seriously hope it's not to late for this but as I just saw it... Happy Birthday Grief !!!
I would follow with some praise but I don't think anyone needs a reminder about one of the greatest SteamGaf user.

Garcia

ModBot said:
Takers keepers!

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

KAIRO -- MB-6876224A220B43E8 - Taken by wetflame
Bionic Dues -- MB-612C25CFBC78EFEB - Taken by Blablurn

GMG were kind enough to provide me with a code to discount Wildstar, AC4 and Elder Scrolls Online, but sadly I never used those codes since I'm interested in those games =P
If I still have my wildstar code and it hasn't expired yet, I'll post it here.

Interested in Widlstar still though, so hopefully it goes for $20 come the Winter Seal.
Ah the Winter Seal.
...Has it really been 3 months since then GAF? Felt like so long ago.

I take it Wildstar is another MMO which will be skipping Steam?

Jawmuncher

Oh yeah, I did gift that to you!

I'll return then favor someday with a game of equal badness.

Pff that's nothing since I discovered what people have been giving for those who already have Bad Rats. I found it on my birthday... the hard way. It's a Dino game!

Orion Dino Horde is something no one should be subjected to.
I actually played that mess long enough to make a badge for it.

Evrain

Just
rung the second Bell of Awakening and unlocked Sen's Fortress,
however I am being curb stomped by the enemies there (melee build), any advice on what to do or where to grind? SL 50.

Just
however I am being curb stomped by the enemies there (melee build), any advice on what to do or where to grind? SL 50.

It is a bit of a difficulty spike and grinding isn't going to help a lot. Just take it slow.

If you do want to level
buy the crest to unlock the door in the forest. Then go nuts farming the enemies there

As someone who sells Handball shoes, I think all of you should get into handball. ;)

Handball is amazing... But only Aussie style with a tennis ball and two squares of concrete. What do Europeans call that?

Knurek

I just wish someone made a good volleyball game. :(
Or a good tennis game (something tactical and true to the sport, not the arcade games Sega makes).
Or that Sega would buy Pro Evo series off of Konami, and joined them with Football Manager devs, so that we would have good manager with good player controlled matches in one game.

This is handball, played by every kid in Australia at some stage:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8RkmB8WHljI
Must be a thing in other countries, right?

Here in Poland kids generally play football, street basket or... dunno, smoke weed?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't consider a game bad if I can spend 6 hours in it, far from bad (><)
I put over 22 hours in Assassin's Creed 2, and I only enjoyed it for less than half that time. So yeah, there's no correlation between time spent in a game and enjoyment gotten out of it.

Just
Dude, this is a terrible way of hiding spoilers. At least have the decency of saying which game you're talking about :p

Hoo boy, I sure wish someone had talked me out of buying Valdis Story.
I was almost enjoying it, but then came the battle against an fused angel/demon or something like that. I got the "you got heart, kid" achievement for retrying 40 times, and gave up. Haven't touched it since.

Garcia

I have a very good suggestion for those who felt overwhelmed by Faster Than Light and gave up at some point because you thought it was unfair or hard to play.

The list of tips and tricks in this Steam Forum thread adds several layers of depth and strategy to an already complex and satisfying game.

I was already having fun but after reading all that stuff I'm now enjoying it a lot more than before. I mean, I didn't know there were advantages to exploring nebulas, the rewards of invading enemy ships, how timing your weapon charges and shots is crucial during the most intense fights, opening hatches during invasions. . . .I mean, holy shit, this game is deep.

Not sure if that's true but you could always MOD and use Steam Achievement Manager on the achievements you know you unlocked.

I appreciate you taking the time to try to help me, but I would prefer just to not worry about the chevos all together than having to "unlock" them via that tool!

aku:jiki

Orion Dino Horde is something no one should be subjected to.
I actually played that mess long enough to make a badge for it.
The current trailer for that has the best review quotes I've ever seen.

"Way better."
"It's not buggy anymore!"
"From a 3.5 to an 8."
"The Metacritic score is misleading."

This is handball, played by every kid in Australia at some stage:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8RkmB8WHljI

Must be a thing in other countries, right?
I'm gonna go ahead and blow the lid off this conversation by saying that, in Sweden, that game was called "nigger" from like the 60's or whatever all the way through the 90's. I'm not even kidding. That's what it was called when I was a school kid, everyone used the name and it was very popular.

Dolor

I would even accept EA games on Steam with the caveat that they would not go on sale for a year and the Origin version was $10-$15 less. Let the users decide. So much money being left on the table.

Yep, I would guess they would still get a lot of Steam sales even at a pretty significant price increase over the equivalent game on Origin.

This is not a dig at this thread at all, but getting on GAF has been very frustrating lately.

I feel like I am mainly just arguing against the ignorant, rather than participating in game discussion.

First two threads I jump into have people believing a Kickstarter project will cost $100 million, and the Steam controller is, 'stupid,' due to the lack of analog sticks.

ijTL1U5TMkfJ1.gif

Not to be all master race and all, but I find that a lot of the threads I am interested in (PC gaming specific ones generally) get sort of polluted by a lot of clearly console-only posters who spout nonsense.

I don't know how many times I've read that consoles are the (only) systems with exclusives, that Valve should have just essentially released the X360 controller with a Steam label on it, that Linux has no games for it so Steambox will fail, etc. It is indeed tiring, but you just have to remember that there is still good in this world, and it is worth fighting for :).

Decided to sell off some cards and I have now made over €300 on only the trading cards since June last year. Crazy that people actually buy these cards, but I love it.

Speaking for the Steam trading card buyers of the world, you're welcome.

Although judging by previous MS behavior (from DX10 onwards), you will need Win9 to use DX12.

I am pretty sure something like this is almost required already. I believe DX 11.X is Windows 8 exclusive already, so I doubt that would go further back for DX 12.

Knurek

EXCELLENT! That means GMG should have it up later today! I should be able to use the 25% code with it, plus drop it's price by at least $5.50 and I should be able to get it for under $40 >=3
OR I CAN WAIT TILL THEY OFFER A 30% DISCOUNT CODE, AND AFTER HAVING MORE GMG CREDIT, GET IT FOR $30 OR LESS!

Or you can wait a few months and get it for <$10. Decisions, decisions...

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Oh, I got into the Battleblock Theater beta too :p

When I signed up they asked for your account username - do they mean the actual username you sign in with or the steam ID? Mine are different. They said they needed it to send requests so I assume it's the ID they're after?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom