• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Okay, I just played my first game with my new rig (with GTX 780) and played PayDay with 120fps - felt fantastic! Have never tried anything like it.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I'm a Brit and only ever played American Handball and sometimes the team one similar to professional handball.

I'm a Scot who has played all of those types of Handball, and I'm terrible at all of them. Fortunately I'm rather good at hitting blocks with my cane and a master of the Pogo Stick so it evens out for that non-Football sports quota.

That said, pelote basque/American Handball, is rather fun with someone of equal skill (awful in my case) and I do quite recommend it to anyone looking for a good bit of exercise and hilarity.

New feature coming soon to the Enhanced Steam web "Library" tab.

Brilliant.

Sooo... the news about Escape Goat 2 hitting Steam on Monday completely flew under my radar. Nice!

I missed that as well. Quite happy it's finally coming out though.

Oh, you can pre-order Murdered Soul Suspect now.

EN_Pre-Order%20Offer%20PC%20Download.png

+10% off.

Finally, I was starting to think it would never come out due to how little talk I see for the game.

Are there any relaxing games where you're not supposed to defend anything, or attack anyone or shoot or fight?

I'm in the mood for just walking around minding my own business. I got MineCraft, The Sims 3 and likes and I'm looking for something in the cheaper end of the scale.

I just have three to get out of the way before I start giving fully relaxing, non-defending/attacking games for they can be played the way you want, even if they are made so a player is supposed to defend/attack/fight.

Planet Explorers is an open world exploration sandbox (lots of toys to play with) that if followed specifically does have story and combat, but if wished to played in a specific way can just be a farming simulator or just travelling across terrain.
Prince Of Persia 2008 with a save file for a fully completed game. That sounds odd I know, but without combat it's really just a lovely game to take the time to look around all the wonderful visuals and try for a "perfect run" of no mistakes with pakour and magic in an almost rhythm like feel from one side of the world to the other.
Burnout Paradise An open world racing game where yes, you could run into other cars and there are a few missions which require such actions, but overall you can ignore them and focus on just driving around a large city and it's surrounding area. Finding hidden shortcuts, billboards to smash, large jumps to do, or just going as high as you can on the mountain and looking over the city has been something I've done for relaxation.

Now two that are full recommendations on what you asked for that others haven't already stated.

InFlux , a full exploration puzzle game where you get to go at your own pace, see a lot of nice environments, and even has a relaxing beach should you just want to sit down and listen to the sound of the waves hitting the sand.
SNOW ski and snowboard on a mountain chain, simple going across paths or trying for tricks and self-imposed challenges.

Not a game on Steam, but one I've always cared for and is free. Cloud

okayfrog

Banned
Valve's strict stance against AO-rated content is why Manhunt 2 isn't on Steam. :(

Shit just isn't right. Steam tries its best to be an alternative yet still censors or bans certain incoming material, and I just don't understand why. Why are they so against Adults Only material on Steam?

You know if we were to judge a success of a product before release then the Steam Controller would be in pretty bad situation. It's crazy how much the press doesn't like it and it'll just put it in a bad public light. Shouldn't Valve just let the beta testers and devs demo instead of putting a WIP out there for a show? Didn't work our for CES, doesn't seem to work out at GDC. I don't know man.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The general asking price of Bulletstorm has already risen to 10 keys. I give it no more than a month or so before people are coughing up 30+ keys.

money_zps3365183awsjrl.jpg

Sendou

You know if we were to judge a success of a product before release then the Steam Controller would be in pretty bad situation. It's crazy how much the press doesn't like it and it'll just put it in a bad public light. Shouldn't Valve just let the beta testers and devs demo instead of putting a WIP out there for a show? Didn't work our for CES, doesn't seem to work out at GDC. I don't know man.

At least this way they can get more feedback. I think it will be just fine. It's just something completely different and there probably is a learning curve. In other words trying it out 10 minutes without messing with preferences or anything might not be very optimal.

Can't remember the last time when a company truly showed a work in progress controller. Nintendo kind of did with GamePad and it got a lot better before launch.

Grief.exe

I would have to agree with you.

How does Valve go about breaking through that wall? They can release all of the instructional videos, FAQs, and interviews, but they obviously get ignored by the majority of gaming press and potential consumers.

The general asking price of Bulletstorm has already risen to 10 keys. I give it no more than a month or so before people are coughing up 30+ keys.

money_zps3365183awsjrl.jpg

I've always theorized, there has to be a certain point where people playing the games aren't even buying them anymore. Its mostly just speculators selling to speculators as they are the only ones with enough keys to afford the game.

The massive price, and the inclusion of DRM, has to push the people who actually plan on playing the game towards piracy at a certain level.

Me too!
I'd like all of 'em, even Razor's Edge -- let me sell my PS3 copy and I'll just play through on PC instead.

I could always go out and get Sigma on PS3, but I really don't want to dip to that level.

JaseC

I've always theorized, there has to be a certain point where people playing the games aren't even buying them anymore. Its mostly just speculators selling to speculators as they are the only ones with enough keys to afford the game.

The massive price, and the inclusion of DRM, has to push the people who actually plan on playing the game towards piracy at a certain level.

Well, yeah, those who were coughing up 60+ keys for Saw weren't paying that exorbitant premium to play Saw. ;)

I could always go out and get Sigma on PS3, but I really don't want to dip to that level.

Dip to the level of getting a PS3 or Sigma?
Or are you implying that Sigma is worse than Black. :p

What they really need is to release stuff like Ninja Gaiden Complete. Include Black, Sigma, the original, etc. This way people can pick the version they like the best and play that. Same with Ninja Gaiden 2. For Ninja Gaiden 3, just port Razor's Edge and forget the original exists.

Pachimari

No go delete the installer from the Crysis folder too so it will stop asking you.

But if I delete the folder, will I still be able to play multiplayer?

Is it also normal that I can play the game on very high settings - I thought it wasn't possible to maximize this game?

And any mods I should install for it?

Is it also normal that I can play the game on very high settings - I thought it wasn't possible to maximize this game?

It was hard to maximize when it came out. Back in 2007.
7 years later? It shouldn't be hard to max it, I'd think.

JaseC

Comrade itself may not be necessary but you do need a GameSpy ID, IIRC. Nobody bought Crysis for the MP, though, so I wouldn't worry.

At least this way they can get more feedback. I think it will be just fine. It's just something completely different and there probably is a learning curve. In other words trying it out 10 minutes without messing with preferences or anything might not be very optimal.

Can't remember the last time when a company truly showed a work in progress controller. Nintendo kind of did with GamePad and it got a lot better before launch.

But people are already writing it off. These is like the Anti-Titanfall. Tepid press response, bad word of mouth. Valve have a mountain to climb here and it's mostly on them.

I would have to agree with you.

How does Valve go about breaking through that wall? They can release all of the instructional videos, FAQs, and interviews, but they obviously get ignored by the majority of gaming press and potential consumers.

As much as I want to blame the average gamer and media, Valve have a role in this. People not reading the Steam controller announcement is not on Valve, people not reading earlier coverages/interviews is not on Valve, however I can't blame people for not watching Steam Dev Days videos (those are aimed at developers after all) or forming an opinion based on second-hand. A lot of the info I got is from browsing twitter and reddit and all that. Not everyone is dedicated as me. As much as I dislike console PR, there's a reason why videos about the DS4 whatever get more views. They're short, simplistic and are hype material. Pretty sure more people watched those than the ones who read Tommy Refenes blog post. Now I don't say Valve should do the same, but they should engage with the public more. Put out simple, short videos showing some stuff. I mean back in October they showed a demo vid and said they're going to make a series of that with them or other devs playing their own games with it. There has been no follow up since. Why? What happened? That would have been a good initiative.

Also I see people are having an easier time writing down their criticism opposed to people who liked it. A lot of the latter just write down oneliners or write it to places where barely anyone see it. Meanwhile the former say a lot more about their experience and those get more views. This skews public perception pretty badly. Shalarn does a great job covering it, but he's just one guy.

Dolor

I don't know if I would be this negative on it. I have seen generally more positive or neutral commentary rather than negative. Most of the negative stuff is just how it's "wierd" after playing with it for 10 minutes. And things are generally a lot easier to hate on the internet than to defend (poor part of human nature there). Besides, I think if you asked Valve, they would prefer the criticism now as that allows them to iterate.

I think the new controller with the face buttons to fall back on for certain games makes a lot more sense than their first prototype, and I think the beauty of the design is its configurability which is inherently hard to show off in a short session.

Not to say the reception couldn't be better, but I think introducing people to something genuinely new is an uphill battle. Look at the reaction to Steam when it came out. It took time for it to show its worth.

But Steam was software. You can improve that anytime. But hardware? Eventually Valve will have to put out the consumer version, and what if a lot of people still don't like it? Iterate? How? A new model next year? But then what about the former model? Not to mention the consumer electronics sphere is competitive and the companies like to spoonfeed their costumers as evidenced by the console trinity. And people obviously like that. Meanwhile Valve are like 'do what you want. you don't have to buy it. choose for youself' and people are confused skeptical. I really don't know of Valve succeed in implementing their software approach to hardware.

Grief.exe

As much as I want to blame the average gamer and media, Valve have a role in this. People not reading the Steam controller announcement is not on Valve, people not reading earlier coverages/interviews is not on Valve, however I can't blame people for not watching Steam Dev Days videos (those are aimed at developers after all) or forming an opinion based on second-hand. A lot of the info I got is from browsing twitter and reddit and all that. Not everyone is dedicated as me. As much as I dislike console PR, there's a reason why videos about the DS4 whatever get more views. They're short, simplistic and are hype material. Pretty sure more people watched those than the ones who read Tommy Refenes blog post. Now I don't say Valve should do the same, but they should engage with the public more. Put out simple, short videos showing some stuff. I mean back in October they showed a demo vid and said they're going to make a series of that with them or other devs playing their own games with it. There has been no follow up since. Why? What happened? That would have been a good initiative.

Also I see people are having an easier time writing down their criticism opposed to people who liked it. A lot of the latter just write down oneliners or write it to places where barely anyone see it. Meanwhile the former say a lot more about their experience and those get more views. This skews public perception pretty badly. Shalarn does a great job covering it, but he's just one guy.

I think that is a great idea.

Continually put out small little videos demonstrating what the controller is for, why it has value, and show how it works in game.

Emailed my Tecmo Koei PR rep today about a Yaiba Steam review code. Hoping for a reply next week sometime.

Email him about getting Ninja Gaiden Black on Steam.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
What didn't you like about it? It is still the best game I played so far this year.

It has a whole list of little problems but it's the few big issues that make Valdis Story rage-inducing and damn near unplayable. Issues like:

Terrible controls: The game demands perfection from the player but the controls make everything into a matter of luck. I could only get the cancel/dash to work about 40% of the time (and that's being very generous) and it never worked when I actually needed it to. The controls for casting were an absolute joke causing me to cast spells when I didn't want and repeatedly casting the wrong spell in combat.

Deceptive hitboxes: This was incredibly aggravating around the time I finally gave up. I'd go to jump past some spikes, clearly miss them, and yet I'd be flung backward as if I had hit them. The worst offender though were the ground switches. I'd go to hit them but if I wasn't perfectly center they wouldn't activate.

Finicky platforming: Alone this wouldn't have been a deal breaker but when paired with the first two issues, it made the game nothing more than an exercise in frustration. Then when you add timed switches into the mix and you have one big anger forming mess.

Stun lock: When hit, most games in this genre offer the player a brief moment of invincibility for a very good reason: to avoid stun lock. I was fighting a boss and had utterly destroyed him. I had whittled his health down to nothing (no, seriously, his health was not even visible in his health bar) and I had been hit once. My HP was at 95%. Then, I tried and (of course) failed a cancel dash. I was hit and hit and hit and hit... There's an achievement for winning a boss fight with less than 10% HP. I got it because when I finally broke the stun lock I had 4 HP. FOUR.

Exploration is a chore: In a genre that's all about exploration, this is a pretty big problem. The map is utterly useless and many areas look similar. Combine that with the chore of navigating through the world and it becomes rather annoying.

As I said there a bunch of other problems but these are the biggest. It's too bad too because there's a lot of potential here. I really wanted to like Valdis Story but in the end there wasn't much to enjoy.

Great write up, Stump. Hopefully more people will take notice of these games.

I didn't realize people were complaining about early access. It's not like they're being forced to take part in buying early access games, but I guess people need to complain about something.

I've been keeping an eye on Prison Architect, Dungeon of the Endless, NEO Scavenger, and Project Zomboid. for a while now. I'm really looking forward to the finished products.
Neo Scavenger is fantastic as is. That's another Early Access game that I can wholeheartedly recommend. It's the first turn based roguelike I enjoyed, it's absolutely unforgiving and realistic, and the combat is desperate and tense, like struggles ripped straight from The Road. I can't recommend the game enough

I think that is a great idea.

Continually put out small little videos demonstrating what the controller is for, why it has value, and show how it works in game.

Valve thought so too, then scrapped it. Baffling. Hopefully they reconsider once the consumer version gets closer. They'll need it, unless it's already too late.

lmpaler

Mine's the 29th! Happy prelated birthday!

Happy prelated birthday to you as well!!!

Fun fact: I share my birthday with Lady Gaga and we are the same age. Very different paths in life and lives in general. Humans fascinate me sometimes.

Anyways. I have two 25% off coupons for Pixel Piracy if anyone of my GAF peeps be down

Amzin

It has a whole list of little problems but it's the few big issues that make Valdis Story rage-inducing and damn near unplayable. Issues like:

Terrible controls: The game demands perfection from the player but the controls make everything into a matter of luck. I could only get the cancel/dash to work about 40% of the time (and that's being very generous) and it never worked when I actually needed it to. The controls for casting were an absolute joke causing me to cast spells when I didn't want and repeatedly casting the wrong spell in combat.

Deceptive hitboxes: This was incredibly aggravating around the time I finally gave up. I'd go to jump past some spikes, clearly miss them, and yet I'd be flung backward as if I had hit them. The worst offender though were the ground switches. I'd go to hit them but if I wasn't perfectly center they wouldn't activate.

Finicky platforming: Alone this wouldn't have been a deal breaker but when paired with the first two issues, it made the game nothing more than an exercise in frustration. Then when you add timed switches into the mix and you have one big anger forming mess.

Stun lock: When hit, most games in this genre offer the player a brief moment of invincibility for a very good reason: to avoid stun lock. I was fighting a boss and had utterly destroyed him. I had whittled his health down to nothing (no, seriously, his health was not even visible in his health bar) and I had been hit once. My HP was at 95%. Then, I tried and (of course) failed a cancel dash. I was hit and hit and hit and hit... There's an achievement for winning a boss fight with less than 10% HP. I got it because when I finally broke the stun lock I had 4 HP. FOUR.

Exploration is a chore: In a genre that's all about exploration, this is a pretty big problem. The map is utterly useless and many areas look similar. Combine that with the chore of navigating through the world and it becomes rather annoying.

As I said there a bunch of other problems but these are the biggest. It's too bad too because there's a lot of potential here. I really wanted to like Valdis Story but in the end there wasn't much to enjoy.

I had almost none of these problems, playing through the whole game. The last boss was totally fucking bullshit, but otherwise the game felt tight and did feel like it required precision, but I never felt once like the fuck ups were on the games' end, just mine. The cancel/dash I don't think ever failed for me when I wanted it, not sure why yours failed you so much. Framerate too low? Controller slightly flakey?

As a whole, it's definitely not an A+ game, I would put it around a B-, below Dust for me. But it was still enjoyable, offered new gameplay, new world, new ideas, so I felt like it's worth playing. Until the last boss. Just pretend the game ends before it.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I had almost none of these problems, playing through the whole game. The last boss was totally fucking bullshit, but otherwise the game felt tight and did feel like it required precision, but I never felt once like the fuck ups were on the games' end, just mine. The cancel/dash I don't think ever failed for me when I wanted it, not sure why yours failed you so much. Framerate too low? Controller slightly flakey?

As a whole, it's definitely not an A+ game, I would put it around a B-, below Dust for me. But it was still enjoyable, offered new gameplay, new world, new ideas, so I felt like it's worth playing. Until the last boss. Just pretend the game ends before it.

Framerate and controller are fine. It's 100% the game's issues. Look at the negative user reviews. They all say the same thing I did. And I'm calling supreme ultimate bullshit if you're claiming you never got stun locked.

KarmaCow

So is there something wrong with getting a ROW key for Dark Souls 2 from G2A.com? I mean either the site itself or a ROW key when buying the game for a NA (Canadian) Steam account.

Lunaniem

So is there something wrong with getting a ROW key for Dark Souls 2 from G2A.com? I mean either the site itself or a ROW key when buying the game for a NA (Canadian) Steam account.

It should activate and work just fine.

I haven't used G2A personally, but I've never heard any problems about them.

Dolor

But Steam was software. You can improve that anytime. But hardware? Eventually Valve will have to put out the consumer version, and what if a lot of people still don't like it? Iterate? How? A new model next year? But then what about the former model? Not to mention the consumer electronics sphere is competitive and the companies like to spoonfeed their costumers as evidenced by the console trinity. And people obviously like that. Meanwhile Valve are like 'do what you want. you don't have to buy it. choose for youself' and people are confused skeptical. I really don't know of Valve succeed in implementing their software approach to hardware.

I can pretty much guarantee that a lot of people won't like the Steam controller no matter what it becomes, so I don't think it is a good target to want universal adoration. They are trying to do something specific and something different and people naturally are against change - even if it's ultimately better. I think the biggest critique they have gotten on it is that it is too dissimilar to other controllers. But the point of this thing is to do what those other controllers cannot, so that is a criticism that falls flat.

I think a lot of people's tunes will change when (e.g.) Firaxis announces that Civ V (or VI) will support this thing. How else are you going to play Civ on your couch or bed? Want to play Broken Age or Planetary Annhilation on the couch, well now you have no (good) options, but with this controller, you have an option. Maybe it takes a couple of days to get used to, but I just recently started playing on a 360 pad after not playing a console game for years, and that took me a couple of days to get used to as well.

MUnited83

For you.
Well, they are unauthorized resellers, so keep that in mind. ROW keys will work fine on a Canadian account.

The cheapest "legit" way to get it at the moment is on Nuveem for 36$

KarmaCow

Well, they are unauthorized resellers, so keep that in mind. ROW keys will work fine on a Canadian account.

The cheapest "legit" way to get it at the moment is on Nuveem for 36$

Bah alright, better safe than sorry then.

I'm leaning on using the personalized 25% code on GMG but Playfire still hasn't gotten back to me on the missing credit.

Amzin

Framerate and controller are fine. It's 100% the game's issues. Look at the negative user reviews. They all say the same thing I did. And I'm calling supreme ultimate bullshit if you're claiming you never got stun locked.

I never got stunlocked. It's been a bit since I beat it but I recalled being able to cancel/dash out of hitlock anyway? But yea I literally never got hit more than 2-3 times in a row and usually that was me being bad or using all my charges trying ridiculous maneuvers.

If there's that many people that had those problems, and that many people who DIDN'T have those problems, my guess is that it's glitchy and I was lucky in that I had none of those problems. It really felt like a tight game all the way through. Again, played it right after Dust, I've played Super Meat Boy, Dustforce, Symphony of the Night, all kinds of platformers and I did NOT experience the problems you (and apparently some others) had.

The exploring did require referring to the map a lot though. To a fairly stupid degree. That I did experience.

Edit: For every negative review complaining about those problems you had, there's AT LEAST one positive review saying the opposite, more in line with my experience. So yea I'd say it's some kind of software hiccup somewhere in the game that unfortunately fucks some people over.

Dolor

lmao

how am I supposed to interpret comments like these

I ignore them myself. About as unhelpful as it gets. Of course it's weird. If it could do what it does and was like every other controller, every other controller would be able to play strategy games etc. So it's different because it serves a different purpose.

Li Kao

Okay, I just played my first game with my new rig (with GTX 780) and played PayDay with 120fps - felt fantastic! Have never tried anything like it.

Hmm, wonder what it must be like to play at 120fps... Must be godly. Won't be able to find out for a lot of time.
Meanwhile I still have a big way to go in order to get rid of all the boxes in my new appartment, I don't have a moment to play and a bookshelf just collapsed on itself. I feel like crying. Sorry for the OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom