• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see how much this Sony eyetracking gets talked up when Valve already showed a video about it with Portal 2 years ago. Then again it wasn't demoed to the press...

Hmm, wonder what it must be like to play at 120fps... Must be godly. Won't be able to find out for a lot of time.
Meanwhile I still have a big way to go in order to get rid of all the boxes in my new appartment, I don't have a moment to play and a bookshelf just collapsed on itself. I feel like crying. Sorry for the OT.

A good cry is never a bad thing :). I wish I could do that but the societal conditioning of "big boys don't cry" is too strong, even though I know intellectually what bullshit it is :(. Hm, perhaps I should get into being flogged mercilessly by a dominatrix dominant! :eek:

brb just going to sign up to Fetlife....

bk

In lieu of a cry Li Kao how about a nice internet cuddle? I'm told I give good internet cuddles :).

Flash window when I receive a message: I have this set on always but I have no idea what it does. What does "flash window" even mean? Does it flicker my screen or what?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Another new feature I've been working on that is almost finished:

1D6OkAX.gif

Basically, when you hover the mouse over an item on a wishlist (for one second), it will pull the price history for that app.

This makes it much more practical to implement, as when you browse to someone's wishlist that has 500+ items it won't just automatically attempt to hit the Enhanced Steam server for the price of 500 items at once.

1D6OkAX.gif

Basically, when you hover the mouse over an item on a wishlist (for one second), it will pull the price history for that app.

This makes it much more practical to implement, as when you browse to someone's wishlist that has 500+ items it won't just automatically attempt to hit the Enhanced Steam server for the price of 500 items at once.

Nice.
I can't help but notice Strider on your wishlist. I'd highly recommend removing that.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Nice.
I can't help but notice Strider on your wishlist. I'd highly recommend removing that.

lol says the guy with 15 hours of gameplay and 100% achievements. And the Strider Hiryu avatar. ;)

It's there for when it hits 75% off, as I'd be interested in playing it for less than $4.

1D6OkAX.gif

This is pretty cool. Looking forward to the release :)

Nabs

Strider is fine, but Guacamelee is way better. 75% off would be the perfect price.

Any mods or patches I should install for Crysis 1? Weren't there some which made it look even better?

The only tip I have for you is to try out your "Suit Shortcuts". It makes it easy to switch powers by double clicking certain keys. Strength = Space, Speed = Shift, Cloak = Control, and Armor = S. You may have to check something off in the menu to activate it.

lol says the guy with 15 hours of gameplay and 100% achievements. And the Strider Hiryu avatar. ;)

It's there for when it hits 75% off, as I'd be interested in playing it for less than $4.

Hey, it's playable. But you shouldn't take my OCD to get all achievements as a sign the game is worth putting time into.

I had more fun with Steamworld Dig.

You know how SteamGAFers like to boast share their joy at hitting a landmark number of games in their Steam Library such as, oh I don't know, 500?

Well I just hit 500.......hours played in XCOM EU.

:p

Card Boy

Banned
The gameplay is very simplistic, Matt Smiths delivery is often flat and the graphics and animations are low quality but i am really enjoying the Doctor Who Adventure Games.

catabarez

The gameplay is very simplistic, Matt Smiths delivery is often flat and the graphics and animations are low quality but i am really enjoying the Doctor Who Adventure Games.

I just wish we got some good Doctor Who games with the previous Doctors.

Li Kao

Well now that the dust has settled a little from the big console launches... Has a Pc and Ps4 compatible fightstick been launched yet ? Just out of curiosity, sort of trying to think about other things than collapsed bookshelves here.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Well now that the dust has settled a little from the big console launches... Has a Pc and Ps4 compatible fightstick been launched yet ? Just out of curiosity, sort of trying to think about other things than collapsed bookshelves here.

i don't even think there is a PS4 compatible stick. You'll probably have to mod.

What's wrong with Strider? Played the demo on my PS4. Liked the game, was very simplistic though.

I've posted it before, but in short:
It's boring and does nothing better than other metroidvanias. Steamworld Dig is a more interesting Metroidvania style game. In the end it's an incredibly boring game with story and voice acting so bad that they go beyond the campy but fun RE B-style scripts and into "can I skip it, please?" territory. But then once you get passed the, the core gameplay is just bad. There's no challenge except in a few rare places where the encounter design is just terrible, the controls aren't tight, and there's no reason to experiment or do anything outside the range of mash x as you move toward the objective on the map. And that's all combat really is... there's no reward... it's all just "these annoying enemies I've killed 8000x of already are in my way on the way to the goal". It feels like Fallout 3 felt when I would encounter enemies after hitting the level cap --- there's no reason to fight, they're just speedbumps preventing you from getting wherever you wanted to go. I honestly didn't realize that the Y buttton launches the trashmob type enemies because there's absolutely NO REASON TO. The only thing I ever used Y for to reflect some projectile. There's a lack of attention to detail is terrible and it's just a letdown from start to finish for anyone who has been wanting a new Strider game.

The only positive I can give it was that it had some interesting traversal mechanics once you unlocked most of the upgrades. But even then, I do not recommend spending the money. I got it for $10 or less and I feel like I overpaid and then some. Even for $5 or less during a steam sale, I think I'd feel unfulfilled and generally unimpressed by this "revival".

--

So far Yaiba, on the other hand, it seems fun from what I've played. It's silky smooth and looks great in action. I'm still trying to get ahold of the combat... maybe I shouldn't have started on hard.
There's some platforming in it that's sort of color coded QTE based, but it just reminds me of the PoP2008 traversals. I like it so far.
I like the sense of humor too...
Helicopter: "This is your last warning!"
Yaiba: "That's a sharme, cause I normally need two." :lol

See. Told you.
Cats, keeping us safe from aliens.

Heh, you wouldn't have said that earlier if you'd seen how they were helping to bork missions with their pussycat ways! smh

What's play, precious?

Well Mr Gollum I think it's something that the cool kids don't do as they are too busy showing how hardcore they are by arguing the toss about the minutia of gaming on internet message boards.

:p

Tagyhag

I just hit 500 games last night, bundles are mostly to blame.

I keep telling myself I'm just collecting to play them all when I finish my new rig, but I secretly know I'm lying to myself.

Oh new Indie Royale bundle...

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Game count shout out? Well I can ... oh 500... 1300... hmm.

I got to the Worm today on Spelunky. I feel accomplished, especially since I had no idea that was an actual level before hand. Now if I could just survive it.

wilflare

1D6OkAX.gif

the work you are doing is... simply amazing :D

jshackles

wilflare

Thanks! With any luck, I should have this up later tonight. *fingers crossed*

Awesome! By the way, happy (now late) birthday!

Looking forward to your impressions of Banished.

as much as I hope you get a good job soon (maybe one with Valve), I'll hate to see Enhanced Steam being taken down (or made lesser) due to contract terms, etc.

but please keep up the awesome work :D

Asgaro

Dammit, I always wanted to play Bulletstorm. I feel stupid now for not purchasing it the numerous times it was on sale for $5.

Bulletstorm has never been on sale for $5 on Steam, except this last Winter Sale. So don't feel too bad. ;)

Vote for it. Bulletstorm has never been $5 on Steam
This is indeed a very rare event. Bulletstorm has never been $5 on Steam. I've had it on my wishlist forever and been waiting for that 75% off price cut. I was actually considering buying it for $10, but then this miracle before us appeared. Make it happen. Yes, I know about GFWL. I've never had a problem with it.
Here's the price history of Bulletstorm. It's been $5 in other retailers, but not Steam.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/99810/discussions/0/648814841972041901/

I bought it during that $5 flash sale and I'm glad I did though.

Bulletstorm is literally my last played game on Steam before going on a break of playing games (30+ days and counting).

Completed the - very casual but lots of fun - singleplayer on Very Hard (= highest difficulty and it was still doable... Did I say already it's casual?)
And I plan to return because there are some arena style MP modes which you can play on your own.

bulletstorm.PNG

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Asgaro/

jshackles

as much as I hope you get a good job soon (maybe one with Valve), I'll hate to see Enhanced Steam being taken down (or made lesser) due to contract terms, etc.

but please keep up the awesome work :D

No need to worry, Enhanced Steam is open-source, and in the event that I get hired by Valve I have provisions in place to "pass the torch" to one of our other developers.

Nice. I've been dropping hints all year about different gaming things that I might enjoy.

I got a book.

Hahaha, I flat out said "I wouldn't mind one bit if you imported a copy of Dark Souls II PC Black Armour Edition". And when I went to link my gf a few days later, it was not available. Then pre-orders went live and I said "a steelbook isn't worth it, you'll have to find me another gift for my birthday."

And now I've cancelled that preorder.

Did you ever figure out if the paypal discount thing ended up making a Dark Souls II key $31.80 or whatever?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nice. I've been dropping hints all year about different gaming things that I might enjoy.

I got a book.

Honestly I stopped asking for gaming related stuff, because what's the point of someone spending $45+ on a game that I'm going to buy for <$15 within a few months, when I still have thousands of unplayed games, many quite good or better than the one I'm playing. I still keep a wishlist, but mostly I'd prefer credit to games.

I think for me another big turning point was the idea that I pay close enough attention to games that no one is going to "surprise" me. Either I own the game, I want the game, or I don't want the game. Whereas if someone gets me a book or a film or something, there's a good chance I haven't heard of it so they get to sot of assess whether it's a good fit for me or whatever.

I think for me another big turning point was the idea that I pay close enough attention to games that no one is going to "surprise" me. Either I own the game, I want the game, or I don't want the game. Whereas if someone gets me a book or a film or something, there's a good chance I haven't heard of it so they get to sot of assess whether it's a good fit for me or whatever.

To be honest in the past I've been big on surprises and have tried to push the whole "it doesn't matter what you get, if you put thought and effort into it then the gift will be amazing" idea.

It failed miserably for many years. Now I just want a game I would like to play ;)

Sorry no, already pre ordered quite a while ago.

Huh, ok. I figured since you were musing about it maybe you'd looked into it. For another $10 off, I'd risk a pre-order and just sell it for cost or a small profit if the game looked like ass when we finally see what the PC version is made of.

To be honest in the past I've been big on surprises and have tried to push the whole "it doesn't matter what you get, if you put thought and effort into it then the gift will be amazing" idea.

It failed miserably for many years. Now I just want a game I would like to play ;)

I can relate to this. However, it's hard to drop hints because if they're not interested in the first place, it's like when parents try to go to a B&M store with what their kids want for Christmas and have no idea if they're getting the right thing or not.

No need to worry, Enhanced Steam is open-source, and in the event that I get hired by Valve I have provisions in place to "pass the torch" to one of our other developers.

I wish you created your own Steam Store, pulling all the data from SteamDB. Maybe then we could be immune to server hiccups Steam's having and will probably have more in near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom