• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I finally did it! I beat Antichamber!

j74SykU.gif

What an ending, holy shit. Fucking genius game. <3
Congrats man, that's good to hear! I gave up on it because I suck, just like I suck at every other game. It's funny how I can be so bad at my (almost) only hobby, lol

So Bulletstorm was removed because Epic couldn't bear the thought of taking anyone else's money until they released a fully GFWL-free version, right? Right?

RIGHT?
If only.

I bought Bulletstorm during the winter sale, and like a lot of people, I haven't gotten around to playing it yet... I should move it to the top of my list. I think it's a pretty scummy move on their part to have featured the game as part of the sale if they weren't going to patch out GFWL. Yeah, I knew there was a strong possibility this would happen when I bought it, but there are a lot of people who don't closely follow video game news and expect their games to have more than a 6 month shelf life.

Corpekata

Banned
Wait I thought gfwl games could still be played with an offline profile... Is this not the case for many games?

Most can. People are just being a little too apocalyptic about it. Not to say there won't be a few that'll be dead weight, but I would wager a large percentage of games will just need to be played in offline mode.

Garcia

Congrats man, that's good to hear! I gave up on it because I suck, just like I suck at every other game. It's funny how I can be so bad at my (almost) only hobby, lol

Thanks. :) It's just a matter of patience though. The game can give you headaches if you force yourself too much in a single run (happened to me several times). I kept playing it in short bursts of 10 to 20 minutes each time until I finally beat that beast; that was my "sweet spot" before I burned out and closed the game out of frustration, lol.

Zafir

Heh, anyone who is interested in Warlock 2 should probably just buy from Nuuvem. UK wise it's more than half the price...

Wait I thought gfwl games could still be played with an offline profile... Is this not the case for many games?
This is true, however, it may not work with Bulletstorm. I know from personal experience that you can play Bulletstorm offline with your Live profile, but you need to disconnect your network adaptor. If you only disconnect your internet, it won't sign you in, thus preventing you from playing. The issue is what happens for people who are starting it up for the first time, who haven't previously activated the game. It probably won't let you past the log in screen.

For 99% of the other GFWL games, they work without needing activation, however, I believe Bulletstorm is different. If you have an interest in playing it, I would at least activate it before GFWL bites the bullet. Just to be safe.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I've got some time before dinner and saw this was on sale. Enjoy!

Bioshock Infinite giveaway
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bioshock Infinite #1 -- MB-E6D6F73721BC81D6 - Taken by Gez. 8 entrants total.
Bioshock Infinite #2 -- MB-B8B8EFE07EBB03DB - Taken by Miker. 1 entrants total.
Bioshock Infinite #3 -- MB-9B034BA7C328E6D7 - Taken by Reg. 4 entrants total.

t1395457346z1.png

This is true, however, it may not work with Bulletstorm. I know from personal experience that you can play Bulletstorm offline with your Live profile, but you need to disconnect your network adaptor. If you only disconnect your internet, it won't sign you in, thus preventing you from playing. The issue is what happens for people who are starting it up for the first time, who haven't previously activated the game. It probably won't let you past the log in screen.

For 99% of the other GFWL games, they work without needing activation, however, I believe Bulletstorm is different. If you have an interest in playing it, I would at least activate it before GFWL bites the bullet. Just to be safe.

Thanks for the info, I might make a list of all the gfwl games I have and do a preparatory install to create a profile for them ( then hopefully play them before I next format).

Lunaniem

I'm having a lot of fun with it myself.

It's not something super technical, but I don't know that I'd call it "sloppy". It's kind of like a musou meets action game. It feels like there's more challenge and more skill involved than I've experienced in a musou. But because of the trash mobs (nature of zombies!) the game isn't about the preciseness you'd need in a normal Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, MGR:R, etc.

It's got a LOT of variety in terms of how you can play since there are 3 combat buttons and you can use the dash button as a modifier too. And there's something pretty awesome about chaining executions.

And if you start playing on hard? It can be easy to get into situations where you get wrecked. So the challenge is there.

Sounds fun enough. :p

That reminds me, I still need to finish MGR:R.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'll crosspost what I said about Yaiba as well

I'm playing this at the minute and tbh ? I'm enjoying it. It's not brilliant, it's not even great but I'm finding it a likable enough game so far. It's a very scatterbrained game, it's not precise, very scrappy and the very definition of a brawler but I'm having a good time with it so far. Combat's fun and Yaiba does seem to have a decent number of abilities so far. Not too keen on the automated platforming and would rather it had been left out altogether. In some ways in reminds me of my guilty pleasure Onechanbara though it's a bit more sophisticated than that in its abilities. 60fps on PC is very nice indeed and the game works like an absolute charm. I was expecting Yaiba to also be some real misogynistic twat going by what I've heard but whilst he is an asshole I haven't really heard too much that's particularly bad. Doesn't really effect the game either way for me though.

But damn fuck me is this game hard on hard. I'm in the middle of chapter 3 at the minute and it's spanking my arse. I'm still not sure if it's the good hard or bad hard at the minute but I'm going towards bad hard for one reason. Animation cancelling. Yaibas dash is fine in itself (though I'd rather have a jump button) but for a fast brawler like this you should be able to cancel out of your animation at any time, if it let you do this it would be muuuuuch better. I'm also still learning enemy attack patterns and Yaibas abilities so I'm not sure how good/bad a player I'm being at the minute - what's blockable, what's unblockable etc. I think it would be a more fun game on the easier difficulties. This isn't Black or NG2 of course, they're faaaaar more precise. I'll see how it goes and keep playing it but I don't hate it at all, the hate seems kinda overblown tbh but those are my initial impressions.

I'll tell you one thing though, it's muuuuuuuuuuuuch more fun than Ninja Gaiden pile of shit 3. Without a doubt.

I'm having a lot of fun with it myself.

It's not something super technical, but I don't know that I'd call it "sloppy". It's kind of like a musou meets action game. It feels like there's more challenge and more skill involved than I've experienced in a musou. But because of the trash mobs (nature of zombies!) the game isn't about the preciseness you'd need in a normal Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, MGR:R, etc.

It's got a LOT of variety in terms of how you can play since there are 3 combat buttons and you can use the dash button as a modifier too. And there's something pretty awesome about chaining executions.

And if you start playing on hard? It can be easy to get into situations where you get wrecked. So the challenge is there.

I'd say it's a little bit sloppy in that things could do with a bit of refinement and polish. For example I find it hard to know when to use the counter button and which enemy attacks are unblockable, it just feels random to me more than actually having any precise timing. Things like that make it feel a bit 'off' to me but not enough to stop my enjoyment since I tend to dash about more.

Still enjoying the game though, one of those guilty pleasures for me anyway.

Uraizen

Banned
Good god, Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z sucks ass. I was prepared for something bad, but not this bad. The combat is extremely repetitive, shallow, and takes about as much thought as slamming the controller on a table. Within the first hour or two, you will have seen every enemy the game has to offer. After that it's just rinse and repeat. Enemies are weak to certain elements, but that doesn't really help the game in any way. The platforming is basically a gigantic QTE and about as pointless as DmC's platforming. The only two things it has going for it are the art style and maybe the humor if you're into the type of humor the game has. No, I'm not even comparing this to Ninja Gaiden. I'm only giving my thoughts on this as an action game. If you even have a modicum of interest in it, wait until $7.50 max. If you have a thing for mind numbing boredom, though, then you are more than free to buy it.

To sum up the above... This. Game. Is. ASS.

Miker

I've got some time before dinner and saw this was on sale. Enjoy!

Bioshock Infinite giveaway

HOLY SHIT I WON #2

Awesome giveaway, thanks so much! I still haven't had the ending spoiled for me, somehow, so I'm really looking forward to playing this.

Now to pray for yet another price mistake on the Season Pass!

jmizzal

HOLY SHIT I WON #2

Awesome giveaway, thanks so much! I still haven't had the ending spoiled for me, somehow, so I'm really looking forward to playing this.

lol I didnt go for two thinking everybody would go for 2 but I guess 8 people thought the same, congrats

HOLY SHIT I WON #2

knew i should have entered # 2 but figured everyone would think the same hehe

grats everyone and thanks for livening up the thread

Oreoleo

Bioshock Infinite #1 -- MB-E6D6F73721BC81D6 - Taken by Gez. 8 entrants total.
Bioshock Infinite #2 -- MB-B8B8EFE07EBB03DB - Taken by Miker. 1 entrants total.
Bioshock Infinite #3 -- MB-9B034BA7C328E6D7 - Taken by Reg. 4 entrants total.

fuuuuuuuuuuck i knew i should have listened to my gut and gone for #2, but I went for the double bluff ;( oh well, thanks for the chance anyway

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Well a lot of us did go all in and grabbed it during that price error for it and the Season Pass during the last Steam Sale.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Good god, Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z sucks ass. I was prepared for something bad, but not this bad. The combat is extremely repetitive, shallow, and takes about as much thought as slamming the controller on a table. Within the first hour or two, you will have seen every enemy the game has to offer. After that it's just rinse and repeat. Enemies are weak to certain elements, but that doesn't really help the game in any way. The platforming is basically a gigantic QTE and about as pointless as DmC's platforming. The only two things it has going for it are the art style and maybe the humor if you're into the type of humor the game has. No, I'm not even comparing this to Ninja Gaiden. I'm only giving my thoughts on this as an action game. If you even have a modicum of interest in it, wait until $7.50 max. If you have a thing for mind numbing boredom, though, then you are more than free to buy it.

What difficulty are you playing on out of curiosity ? On Hard anyway you have to be a lot more careful in combat as within a few hits you can get completely fucked, you really need to know how to manage the enemies or you get spanked.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Ok one more for the runners-up:)

Bioshock Infinite Runner-Up Giveaway

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bioshock Infinite -- MB-3FFDE5B3CA599EA8 - Taken by topyy. 22 entrants total.

t1395459101z1.png

Card Boy

Banned
Ok one more for the runners-up:)

Bioshock Infinite Runner-Up Giveaway

This man is a legend.

ouch! Un-wishlisted now.

B0WDElT.png

Uraizen

Banned
What difficulty are you playing on out of curiosity ? On Hard anyway you have to be a lot more careful in combat as within a few hits you can get completely fucked, you really need to know how to manage the enemies or you get spanked.

I only just now unlocked Hard and I really have zero desire to go through it again. It was like playing God of War with elemental powers to me and I am not a fan of God of War. Spank the bigger ones for elemental powers, keep puny ones around for easy health, execute bigger ones to take out the other bigger ones that are weak to it, etc. You can also abuse the counter for some easy kills during slow-mo.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I only just now unlocked Hard and I really have zero desire to go through it again. It was like playing God of War with elemental powers to me and I am not a fan of God of War. Spank the bigger ones for elemental powers, keep puny ones around for easy health, execute bigger ones to take out the other bigger ones that are weak to it, etc.

Hard's unlocked from the start, well on PC it was. Believe me, I'm feeling that pain at the minute :p

Miker

lol I didnt go for two thinking everybody would go for 2 but I guess 8 people thought the same, congrats

knew i should have entered # 2 but figured everyone would think the same hehe

grats everyone and thanks for livening up the thread

fuuuuuuuuuuck i knew i should have listened to my gut and gone for #2, but I went for the double bluff ;( oh well, thanks for the chance anyway

Ahahaha I didn't even notice that I was the only entrant until now. Gaf really does slow down at night.

I only just now unlocked Hard and I really have zero desire to go through it again. It was like playing God of War with elemental powers to me and I am not a fan of God of War. Spank the bigger ones for elemental powers, keep puny ones around for easy health, execute bigger ones to take out the other bigger ones that are weak to it, etc. You can also abuse the counter for some easy kills during slow-mo.

Hard was unlocked for me from the beginning and when you're not dealing with trash mobs, you have to be extremely careful.

Uraizen

Banned
Hard's unlocked from the start, well on PC it was. Believe me, I'm feeling that pain at the minute :p

Was it? Ah hell, I could have sworn I didn't see the option. Either way, I didn't enjoy the game. Another thing I forgot to whine about was the boss battles. DmC at least had one good boss battle. I didn't even like the
Ryu
boss battle in this game. Maybe your opinion will change after you beat it. I started off saying "eh... this doesn't seem too bad," but by the end of it I caught myself saying "this shit sucks." Ah well, I just thought I would put out a summary that focused mainly on the combat.

Hard was unlocked for me from the beginning and when you're not dealing with trash mobs, you have to be extremely careful.

Unless it becomes a 100% different game on Hard then I don't see it changing my opinion at all. I've already described the combat and what the encounters are like. Do they change at all or is my description accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom