• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it? Ah hell, I could have sworn I didn't see the option. Either way, I didn't enjoy the game. Another thing I forgot to whine about was the boss battles. DmC at least had one good boss battle. I didn't even like the
Ryu
boss battle in this game. Maybe your opinion will change after you beat it. I started off saying "eh... this doesn't seem too bad," but by the end of it I caught myself saying "this shit sucks." Ah well, I just thought I would put out a summary that focused mainly on the combat.

Unless it becomes a 100% different game on Hard then I don't see it changing my opinion at all. I've already described the combat and what the encounters are like. Do they change at all or is my description accurate?

Nah, core gameplay is the same in terms of combos/etc. You just have to be more careful about blocking/countering/not getting hit and efficiently eliminating dangers.

Uraizen

Banned
Nah, core gameplay is the same in terms of combos/etc. You just have to be more careful about blocking/countering/not getting hit and efficiently eliminating dangers.

So basically keep grunts alive for health, go for executions to get elemental weapons, and abuse counter? I already did the hell out of that and it worked damned well.

Grief.exe

Good god, Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z sucks ass. I was prepared for something bad, but not this bad. The combat is extremely repetitive, shallow, and takes about as much thought as slamming the controller on a table. Within the first hour or two, you will have seen every enemy the game has to offer. After that it's just rinse and repeat. Enemies are weak to certain elements, but that doesn't really help the game in any way. The platforming is basically a gigantic QTE and about as pointless as DmC's platforming. The only two things it has going for it are the art style and maybe the humor if you're into the type of humor the game has. No, I'm not even comparing this to Ninja Gaiden. I'm only giving my thoughts on this as an action game. If you even have a modicum of interest in it, wait until $7.50 max. If you have a thing for mind numbing boredom, though, then you are more than free to buy it.

To sum up the above... This. Game. Is. ASS.

That is just something else right there.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I don't check this thread for a couple hours and find four copies of Bioshock Infinite given away. That'll teach me to enjoy the real world.

I need to stop reading those Dark Souls 2 downgrade threads...it's bad for my health.

Anyways, finally got around to playing Deus Ex HR Director's Cut. That game still kicks so much ass, and I'm really digging the boss battle changes. It's really helping me get the bad taste of Deux Ex The Fall out of my mouth.

Sajjaja

I need to stop reading those Dark Souls 2 downgrade threads...it's bad for my health.

Anyways, finally got around to playing Deus Ex HR Director's Cut. That game still kicks so much ass, and I'm really digging the boss battle changes. It's really helping me get the bad taste of Deux Ex The Fall out of my mouth.

So it's not a buggy mess?

Tizoc

I only just now unlocked Hard and I really have zero desire to go through it again. It was like playing God of War with elemental powers to me and I am not a fan of God of War. Spank the bigger ones for elemental powers, keep puny ones around for easy health, execute bigger ones to take out the other bigger ones that are weak to it, etc. You can also abuse the counter for some easy kills during slow-mo.

God of War Ascension has elemental powers, but I forgot how they affect the gameplay outside of what orbs you get from defeating enemies with a certain element =P

Tizoc

Really? I haven't played that one.

The gameplay is similar to traditional GoW, but with a few alterations to the combat system like no 'Rage' power-up and that now to perform the counter you need to press 2 buttons, so this way you need to be more careful when you want to counter.

Tagyhag

Good god, Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z sucks ass. I was prepared for something bad, but not this bad. The combat is extremely repetitive, shallow, and takes about as much thought as slamming the controller on a table. Within the first hour or two, you will have seen every enemy the game has to offer. After that it's just rinse and repeat. Enemies are weak to certain elements, but that doesn't really help the game in any way. The platforming is basically a gigantic QTE and about as pointless as DmC's platforming. The only two things it has going for it are the art style and maybe the humor if you're into the type of humor the game has. No, I'm not even comparing this to Ninja Gaiden. I'm only giving my thoughts on this as an action game. If you even have a modicum of interest in it, wait until $7.50 max. If you have a thing for mind numbing boredom, though, then you are more than free to buy it.

To sum up the above... This. Game. Is. ASS.

This is what I've been hearing.

And you know what sucks? Tecmo is probably going to use it as an excuse as to why they don't put games on the Western PC market just like they did with DW6.

It's like they're purposely trying to find an excuse.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is what I've been hearing.

And you know what sucks? Tecmo is probably going to use it as an excuse as to why they don't put games on the Western PC market just like they did with DW6.

It's like they're purposely trying to find an excuse.

It's not going to do better on consoles, don't worry.

Tizoc

Well, at least they made the best Lost Planet game.

Which sadly is their only positive point atm, and IMHO LP3 excels more in its non gameplay elements. The gameplay in LP3 is competent, but nothing to write home about. If you want a solid TPS from a gameplay stand point, LP3 is one to go for.

God of War has 20 times the depth of Yaiba. And that's just the first game

Real bummer that they had to squander the game of Ninja Gaiden further, oh well. And it's still a shame that people hate on Lost Planet 2, what an incredible coop game. At least Capcom knows players hate games with involved mechanics now :/

Anteater

How does Spark Unlimited keep getting work? Everything they touch is critically and commercially panned.

The producers of those games said their track record didn't matter, as long as they are willing to learn, hence lost planet and yaiba was borned. They believed outsourcing these games to western devs would help that western appeal.

Tizoc

Real bummer that they had to squander the game of Ninja Gaiden further, oh well. And it's still a shame that people hate on Lost Planet 2, what an incredible coop game. At least Capcom knows players hate games with involved mechanics now :/

Have you played or beaten Yaiba yet?

Not really.

I just finished Max Payne 3, and really liked it.

I approached it with hesitance, considering their pre-release stuff looked drastically different from the series I knew, in addition to being hyper aware of bad encounter design in games lately (Bioshock Infinite, Space Marine, and Dragon Age II, to name few of many). But Max Payne 3 worked for me. It's descent into what they show in the marketing is smooth, and I didn't feel like I was just shooting endless waves of boring enemies (save maybe once or twice in the entire game).

The gameplay is really fun, and is added to, while also honoring the legacy of the previous games. I like where they took his character too. It's like they preserved what was there in the previous games, and added in ways that fit with the series in both gameplay, and story. The abundance of cutscenes didn't bother me either, but then again I play stuff for the story.

It's a nice conclusion to two games that didn't really need elaborated further upon, and that's just pretty impressive to me. People without bandwidth caps should really give it a go.

zkylon

zkylewd
been reading on some payday 2 updates since i have barely played it since beta (i probably played more beta than the real game lol) and they seem to have changed the game a whole lot

like two stealth reworks, a ton of economy patches, there's now like a billion ways to prestige (i really gotta question why they bother with prestige crap when the base game is so lacking already), etc.

so weird for a payed game to be updated so frequently and so drastically, tbh it sounds more like an early access game than something like the usual f2p updates of like league of legends or something.

anyways i'm downloading it again, gonna see what's new i guess

Khronico

been reading on some payday 2 updates since i have barely played it since beta (i probably played more beta than the real game lol) and they seem to have changed the game a whole lot

like two stealth reworks, a ton of economy patches, there's now like a billion ways to prestige (i really gotta question why they bother with prestige crap when the base game is so lacking already), etc.

so weird for a payed game to be updated so frequently and so drastically, tbh it sounds more like an early access game than something like the usual f2p updates of like league of legends or something.

anyways i'm downloading it again, gonna see what's new i guess

From what I recall, the game was kind of broken at launch, at least the console version was. It's actually a really, really good game now.

XeonQ8

Neo Member
i've played payday 1 on ps3

it felt like cheap FPS game , reading alot of +ve feedback and a good 10$ deal , gonna grab it anyway:p

Card Boy

Banned
i've played payday 1 on ps3

it felt like cheap FPS game , reading alot of +ve feedback and a good 10$ deal , gonna grab it anyway:p

Payday 1 never got all the good updates on PS3 outside that Wolfpack DLC plus its technically inferior in every way compared to the PC version.

Impressions:
I write these impressions as someone who's played the game on IOS and now a little on PC. Perhaps the closest analog to Breach & Clear would be Frozen Synapse's asynchronous turn-based tactical combat, with a dash of XCOM's classes and SOCOM's aesthetic.

Each mission places you in control of a small squad (each country has a small perk, i.e. SEALS have faster reactions). Your team consists of different classes, each with special abilities. For example the medic can heal a soldier or heal himself, the Fireteam Leader can draw all enemy fire to him, the Weapons Sergent can lay down suppressing fire, Intelligence can jam doors. As you level up, your troops unlock new abilities. Your weapons are equally customizable, from optics to grips to gas systems. Limited use gear like flash bangs and snake cams provide more strategic options.

Gameplay wise, Breach and Clear is all about the tactics. Place waypoints, aim line of sights, move to cover, cover your angles. Since enemy placement is randomized, you can never rely on one tactic for each level, instead always playing smart and considering how best to approach a room without leaving a blind spot that could bite you in the ass. Don't do that, don't plan well, and your men will die. Your missions will take you across the globe, from Afghanistan and Russia to China and Germany, from simply taking down enemies to defusing bombs and reaching extraction points. Each requires you to play a bit different. The tactics to breaching a room is different than setting up to defend an area while defusing an explosive or moving to the extraction area.

While Frozen Synapse is certainly more complex, I actually prefer the realistic special ops aesthetic and the laser focus on close quarters combat and breaching compared to FS's sci-fi virtual style. And this isn't some crappy port either. The game runs silky smooth, the controls feel great, and the visuals have definitely gotten a nice upgrade. Setting up waypoints and firing angles feels even better with a mouse than touchscreen.

Visually it's not Crysis or Battlefield, but neither was Frozen Synapse. And Breach & Clear makes up for its visuals with cool little touches such as your troopers realistically leaning around cover to fire

I'd definitely recommend Breach & Clear if you enjoy tactical gameplay with a realistic edge.

PC additions include new weapons and maps, improved visuals, a permadeath setting, and probably some other stuff I'm not aware of

I like the fact that Payday 2 is constantly updated, but at the same time, I dread seeing it pop up in my downloads. Why it needs to render my computer near useless while it patches is beyond me.

Sounds great. How's the port? Do the KB/M controls feel good?
Some posts on Steam are saying that clicking through the menus can be kind of clunky, but I think it's fine

As for setting up paths and stuff, I'm liking it with KB/M so much more than with touchscreen. So much more precise. On IOS, a lot of times, I'd touch the wrong spot and have to undo a waypoint. Here, with the mouse, that's not going to be an issue. Actually control-wise, it feels similar to Door Kickers on a grid; click to set path, drag out to set the line of sight, click along the path to place more aiming nodes.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I like the fact that Payday 2 is constantly updated, but at the same time, I dread seeing it pop up in my downloads. Why it needs to render my computer near useless while it patches is beyond me.

Because the patching process needs to make a duplicate of all 30GB of game data, applies the patch in chunks to it, checks it to make sure it matches the server-side version, and after it is all downloaded and applied it deletes the original install and moves the new one over into the folder.

It's an absolute fucking disaster.

It is the absolute worst, I've bitched about it numerous times in this thread, really wish they would sort that out.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
my brother is going to pax east, what should I bug him to get me?

I already told him to scout potential blizzard swag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom