• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acccent

Welcome back, Accent!

In other news, Steam has suffered a week or two of multiple, ever-increasing outages; JaseC chalked up his 2,500th game milestone, too. Some have speculated that the two happenings are linked somehow.
hehe, hi!
and I'm pretty sure than it's JaseC's fault: it always is.

GO is getting bigger and bigger while Steam is getting more unstable every day. OR DK2 has been announced. Valve demoed the redesigned SC at GDC and got bad press and mixed public reaction. UE4 and CE moved to service type licensing deal shocking (in a good way) a lot of people.

What's GO and OR DK2?

Also when does DS2 release on PC?

Ryne

Good god, Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z sucks ass. I was prepared for something bad, but not this bad. The combat is extremely repetitive, shallow, and takes about as much thought as slamming the controller on a table. Within the first hour or two, you will have seen every enemy the game has to offer. After that it's just rinse and repeat. Enemies are weak to certain elements, but that doesn't really help the game in any way. The platforming is basically a gigantic QTE and about as pointless as DmC's platforming. The only two things it has going for it are the art style and maybe the humor if you're into the type of humor the game has. No, I'm not even comparing this to Ninja Gaiden. I'm only giving my thoughts on this as an action game. If you even have a modicum of interest in it, wait until $7.50 max. If you have a thing for mind numbing boredom, though, then you are more than free to buy it.

To sum up the above... This. Game. Is. ASS.

Even after all these terrible reviews I still want it. Waiting for a deep sale though.

Is the Risk on Steam any good or is it just an abomination based on a boardgame?

Because only JaseC and Xelios have it on my list and that smells like botched licensed game to me.

Lunaniem

Is the Risk on Steam any good or is it just an abomination based on a boardgame?

Because only JaseC and Xelios have it on my list and that smells like botched licensed game to me.

Haven't played it myself but I do know a downside to all of those board games on sale is that they don't have online.

nicjac

So I just finished Rogue Legacy for the first time. What a great game!

Is the Legacy+ mode worth it? I gave it a quick go and I liked how the starting castle became challenging again. Sunk 15 hours in this so far, tempted to do it all over again!

kurahador

Continuing my Fallout 3 playthrough after a year putting it off.

When is the best time to do the dlc? I just did the Operation Anchorage and holy shit I gained like 5 levels and shit tons of weapons.

Continuing my Fallout 3 playthrough after a year putting it off.

When is the best time to do the dlc? I just did the Operation Anchorage and holy shit I gained like 5 levels and shit tons of weapons.
I always do it after the main quest(starting with Broken Steel) I don't know if that's the best time to do it, but in my repeated playthroughs of Fallout 3, it's what I've been the most comfortable with doing(Especially since some of the DLCs are rather difficult)

ModBot said:
Instructions for Da DreadLord:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gravity Badgers -- MB-A97926950CEF3827 - Taken by sheaaaa
Badgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgermushroommushroom

kurahador

I always do it after the main quest(starting with Broken Steel) I don't know if that's the best time to do it, but in my repeated playthroughs of Fallout 3, it's what I've been the most comfortable with doing(Especially since some of the DLCs are rather difficult)

Alright...thanks!

Arthea

Good god, Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z sucks ass. I was prepared for something bad, but not this bad. The combat is extremely repetitive, shallow, and takes about as much thought as slamming the controller on a table. Within the first hour or two, you will have seen every enemy the game has to offer. After that it's just rinse and repeat. Enemies are weak to certain elements, but that doesn't really help the game in any way. The platforming is basically a gigantic QTE and about as pointless as DmC's platforming. The only two things it has going for it are the art style and maybe the humor if you're into the type of humor the game has. No, I'm not even comparing this to Ninja Gaiden. I'm only giving my thoughts on this as an action game. If you even have a modicum of interest in it, wait until $7.50 max. If you have a thing for mind numbing boredom, though, then you are more than free to buy it.

To sum up the above... This. Game. Is. ASS.

Thanks for writing this.
I never expected it to be proper NG game, but secretly hoped it is a super violent stupid fun game. Everything I read about it just seems to point at how bad it is.
Oh well, I'll wait for it to drop real low in price to see for myself, as I still like artstyle and general idea of such a game, but my hopes are crushed.
We'll never see NG game on steam after this disaster, I'm afraid. :(

sheaaaa

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bit.Trip Runner -- MB-05430CE499BC4893 - Taken by Alduin. 1 entrants total.
Audiosurf -- MB-12EC5139D4F6FEBB - Taken by NingenJanai. 3 entrants total.
Sequence -- MB-D68F920954E782FC - Taken by Sub Zero. 1 entrants total.

t1395494114z1.png

Spares from the Humble Weekly

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Having finally played through Diablo 3 (without the auction house crap) I can now declare it not to be a big deal that Blizzard has zero presence on Steam. There are multiple vastly superior ARPGs available on the service that aren't filled with stagnant design decisions.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Squeenix must have a department for dumb decisions.

Squeenix has:

- Published the one and only game that was later removed from user libraries (Order of War: Challenge, although this was partially reversed)
- Published the one and only game that was retroactively region-locked and remained so (Thi4f RU/CIS), and most recently
- Region-locked at the runtime level the Asian sub for Murdered: Soul Suspects for no apparent reason -- it's not cheaper and the game isn't censored in certain regions a la South Park

Anime cards usually keep good prices and don't take much time to sell.

Yeah, some games plateau at a higher point than others, but most games don't keep a $1+ average for long and those that do just continue to gradually freefall.

Arthea

Squeenix must have a department for dumb decisions

Anime cards usually keep good prices and don't take much time to sell.

Ya, anime cards still sell much better and at higher prices than any other. I think it's because there are still very little of this style of cards relatively too all others.

Also what happened with Toki Tori? Don't tell me those games got removed from steam too...

edited: on unrelated note, I so would prefer to play FFX HD on PC, loading times aren't that bad as in many other games, but they are there, a pity really

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Also what happened with Toki Tori? Don't tell me those games got removed from steam too...

Two Tribes (the developer) declared bankruptcy a couple of months ago, but Two Tribes (the publisher) is still alive and has set up a new subsidiary for game development, so TT's games aren't going anywhere.

South Park is still locked also, afaik.

I'd say South Park doesn't quite count. While the OARIC flag wasn't applied to the RU/CIS sub initially, it was added when the game went up for sale, so at no point was the sub actually available to buy while region-free.

Edit: A few of those who bought the ROW sub through a trader but didn't bother activating it found themselves needing to use a VPN to redeem the gift following the addition of the gifting/trading restriction, however the game itself remained region-free, and obviously those who'd already activated their gift copies weren't affected by the change. In the case of Thi4f, Squeenix added the OARIC flag months after the game went up for pre-purchase and left it there. I made a thread on Eidos' forums however it was just merged with the PC/next-gen megathread, and while I was told that the support ticket I created about the issue had been forwarded to the relevant department, nothing ever eventuated.

Squeenix has:

- Published the one and only game that was later removed from user libraries (Order of War: Challenge, although this was partially reversed)
- Published the one and only game that was retroactively region-locked and remained so (Thi4f RU/CIS), and most recently
- Region-locked at the runtime level the Asian sub for Murdered: Soul Suspects for no apparent reason -- it's not cheaper and the game isn't censored in certain regions a la South Park

I'm so excited for their next dumb decision! /s

They still are on Steam, from a recent interview:

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I don't know why they changed the puzzle style for toki tori 2, toki tori 1 is one the best puzzle games you can play.

Arthea

Two Tribes (the developer) declared bankruptcy a couple of months ago, but Two Tribes (the publisher) is still alive and has set up a new subsidiary for game development, so TT's games aren't going anywhere.

I'm so excited for their next dumb decision! /s

They still are on Steam, from a recent interview:
Thanks
I'm not so sure it game's fault that it sold not as much as expected. We get so many games on steam, I begin to think that it's impossible to get good sales with such constant flow, add bundles to that picture and you'll see that selling good can be problem these days.
I haven't bought many games I'm interested in, just because I have no idea when I'll get to playing them if ever.
Then again, certain type of games sell really good on steam, what's funny, these are games I have 0 interest in. (><)
Steam userbase is so large that we fall into habit to believe that it can support any amount of games, but maybe that is not so. What do you think?

Well, like I posted before IMO it's really not that bad, if you can enjoy something at the level of the Deadpool game or Ninja Blade you can probably enjoy this. Especially if you wait for a sale.
It's good to know.
still haven't gotten around playing Deadpool, but Ninja Blade was not fun, it is a bad game, really.

ArjanN

Thanks for writing this.
I never expected it to be proper NG game, but secretly hoped it is a super violent stupid fun game. Everything I read about it just seems to point at how bad it is.
Oh well, I'll wait for it to drop real low in price to see for myself, as I still like artstyle and general idea of such a game, but my hopes are crushed.
We'll never see NG game on steam after this disaster, I'm afraid. :(

Well, like I posted before IMO it's really not that bad, if you can enjoy something at the level of the Deadpool game or Ninja Blade you can probably enjoy this. Especially if you wait for a sale.

I don't know why they changed the puzzle style for toki tori 2, toki tori 1 is one the best puzzle games you can play.

I really enjoy Toki Tori 2 for being different than the first one, you have all the world open from the very start and just need to learn how the abilities interact with the world and solve the puzzles.

Thanks
I'm not so sure it game's fault that it sold not as much as expected. We get so many games on steam, I begin to think that it's impossible to get good sales with such constant flow, add bundles to that picture and you'll see that selling good can be problem these days.
I haven't bought many games I'm interested in, just because I have no idea when I'll get to playing them if ever.
Then again, certain type of games sell really good on steam, what's funny, these are games I have 0 interest in. (><)
Steam userbase is so large that we fall into habit to believe that it can support any amount of games, but maybe that is not so. What do you think?

They kinda had some hype before launch but I think the release date kinda screwed the game's launch.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Here's what I said in the main thread about the announcement that Toki Tori won't get another sequel:
- A lot of people bought Toki Tori over the years. A lot of those people bought it on WiiWare, at a time where the competition for independent games was not remotely as hard. A lot of them bought it on PC, also at a time where the competition for independent games was not remotely as hard--and on PC, many of the sales were done at an extremely low price point.
- Although I know probably 100 people who have purchased Toki Tori, I know maybe 3-5 who played more than the first world. Global achievement stats on Steam have 21% of people getting to the "collect 200 eggs" achievement (maybe one world or so of gameplay?), 11% of people getting the "play the game for an hour without taking a break" achievement, 6.8% percent of people getting the "collect 500 eggs" achievement. As a result, I can safely surmise that most of the people who played Toki Tori, even if they were receptive to a sequel, were not necessarily chomping at the bit to play one because they hadn't remotely come close to finishing the game. By contrast, 29% of people who played Braid finished it.
- People tell me that Toki Tori 2 is a very different game than Toki Tori. That may be the case, but I think you'll agree that if you weren't an avid follower of the game you wouldn't catch that from promotional efforts, the title, the screenshots available, etc.
- Toki Tori 2 released at 14.99 in a world where hundreds of high quality indie games are releasing all the time. It's a highly competitive world now. They're competing against indie bundles, against other new indie releases, and against retail and legacy titles.
- The launch was splintered; the Wii U version launched 3 months before the PC version. As a result, any "momentum" they might have gotten from launch was spread out and less effective at breaking through the noise.
- Launching exclusively on the Wii U. I know we'd seen developers achieve success on the Wii U, and I'm not saying it's impossible or unlikely that the game would get success. What I will say is that the extremely small install base might have been below what Two Tribes expected, so that a comparable attach rate to what they were looking at was not enough to really drive sales. It obviously did underperform (you can tell because they cancelled a level editor planned to be added to the game).
- They bet the entire company on the game and it was delayed, and thus presumably over budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom