• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
viking is pretty good against blink stalker

sc2 joke

I see...

gOHHOCP.gif

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Finally beat the hard mode of Super House of Dead Ninjas.

Brilliant little game.

Congrats, ready for Ninja Difficulty now? Scoring 1 million points and beating the game on that setting was one of the most satisfying moments of gaming I had last year and I'm sure you can do it in 2014.

its not available for purchase in Asia...

whats with japanese devs restricting users from buying games in their own region? first Konami and now square enix

I remember someone on the Steam Forums contacting SquareEnix a few years and asking why they did not release PC games in Japan and I believe SE's response was that they didn't know anyone would buy PC games from there. I don't think they ever really dropped that notion.

JaseC

Seeing as the Influent DLC is half off I suppose it'd be a good idea to pick it up. I just wish the base game were also half off.

Anteater

its not available for purchase in Asia...

whats with japanese devs restricting users from buying games in their own region? first Konami and now square enix

It's available here, but yeah this shit is annoying and is becoming a problem, the thing is that the console version of these games are available but they are purposely restricting the pc releases for absolutely no reason, and judging from their track record, they have no plan of removing this restriction, because a lot of the sega games were never available even now.

I don't know what the fuck are they doing.

DocSeuss

REALLY liking the new patch, not quite so wild about the limitations on bagging people and apparently respawning guards. I like clearing out maps.

BUT

After three hours, I finally got the achievement I'd been working hard to get. The one in Firestarter Day 2.

i've played payday 1 on ps3

it felt like cheap FPS game , reading alot of +ve feedback and a good 10$ deal , gonna grab it anyway:p

Payday on a console in any form is bad. I don't know anyone who likes it on the PS3. Or the sequel.

Anteater

Not available here, fuck you Japanese devs!

hmm there seems to be an Asia version

http://steamdb.info/sub/40444/

but I have no idea what any of these mean, noideawhatimdoingdog.jpg

AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting No
AllowPurchaseFromRestrictedCountries Yes
onlyallowrunincountries CN MN KR TW LA TH KH VN PH BN MY SG ID KH MO
PurchaseRestrictedCountries CN MN KR TW LA TH KH VN PH BN MY SG ID KH MO

It's for asia but restricted in most of asia?

Finally beat the hard mode of Super House of Dead Ninjas.

Brilliant little game.
Congrats! I never managed to complete the game on anything above Normal difficulty, but it is a very fun game and really has some great game feel to it.

Some of the workshop levels are pretty good as well, someone recreated a portion of the first super mario bros. level in it, and that was pretty fun.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Influent is a type of program you get to help someone get used to seeing certain words and saying certain words by forming association with them and an image. Basically a more fun version of Rossetta Stone or flash cards.

For what it is, I say it's one of the better tools for getting you used to thinking 電話 is telephone for example, because you are active in searching out the hundreds of words in a house rather than just memorising a list or test order. However that is just a supplement and by no means will teach you a language, get you ready to quickly switch between one language to another if they use different character scripts, or even ready for another language.

Congrats! I never managed to complete the game on anything above Normal difficulty, but it is a very fun game and really has some great game feel to it.

Some of the workshop levels are pretty good as well, someone recreated a portion of the first super mario bros. level in it, and that was pretty fun.

The first rule of Create-A-Stage. If a level can be created, Super Mario Bros 1-1 will be made.

Hasney

Since Racing Manager 2014 is the daily deal, is it still terrible? I played 2012 and it just felt so cheap that even 50% off seems steep.

Hasney

Reading back through the pages on region locking... I think I'm done with most major publishers on Steam outside of sales since even the PS4 is less region-locked now and for the most part, cheaper to buy from the US PSN store compared to the UK PC sellers. Just feels odd that the consoles are moving away from region locking and yet the PC is getting more restrictive.

I'm almost done with Sniper Zombie Army, game is quite hard but in a really fun way.

It's really satisfying head shooting a far away enemy with your sniper rifle while being surrounded by zombies, changing to your gun or machine gun, killing a few of them, changing positions and repeating the process.

I recommend the game to anyone who likes snipping and challenging games.

Acccent

Hey hey everyone, I'm finally back.
Anyone kind enough to do a quick summary of what happened over the past 2 weeks? I only know of Sony's VR announcement :p

oipic

Zombies.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dead Island: Epidemic -- MB-45CB8DA0E1616F55 - Taken by sheaaaa. 6 entrants total.

t1395480748z1.png

JaseC

huh? how come? (I only care about Cart Life, though I already own it)

Blade Kitten: Distribution rights are in the process of being transferred from Atari to the devs
Bulletstorm: No confirmation as yet, but presumably Epic can't be arsed patching out GFWL
Cart Life: As mentioned, the dev released it for free, source code and all, via his own website
Droplitz: Atlus' publishing contract expired and the developer is dead, so the game is in limbo
NASCAR 2013: No confirmation as yet, but the fact it's still up on Amazon and such suggests to me that the developers want to push Steam users towards the pricier 2014 release

sheaaaa

Yeah. There's no point in applying the OARIC flag to non-BR/Eastern European subs but dumb decisions is an area wherein Squeenix excels.

You're the expert, so I hope you can shed some light on this.

The Steam sub here: http://steamdb.info/sub/40444/ seems to indicate that I will be able to purchase this particular sub in Singapore, but won't be able to play it if I move to the US, for example. And that I would be able to get a ROW version from GMG or somewhere and redeem it no problem.

If that's true, it's annoying but far less offensive than Konami's efforts. I still don't see the Lords of Shadow games or Metal Gear Rising on Steam, which is frankly disgraceful.

Acccent

Cart Life is going free (source code and everything), I image it'll be back but as a free download.

Blade Kitten: Distribution rights are in the process of being transferred from Atari to the devs
Bulletstorm: No confirmation as yet, but presumably Epic can't be arsed patching out GFWL
Cart Life: As mentioned, the dev released it for free, source code and all, via his own website
Droplitz: Atlus' publishing contract expired and the developer is dead, so the game is in limbo
NASCAR 2013: No confirmation as yet, but the fact it's still up on Amazon and such suggests to me that the developers want to push Steam users towards the pricier 2014 release

Oh well. Sad about the Droplitz devs :(

JaseC

You're the expert, so I hope you can shed some light on this.

The Steam sub here: http://steamdb.info/sub/40444/ seems to indicate that I will be able to purchase this particular sub in Singapore, but won't be able to play it if I move to the US, for example. And that I would be able to get a ROW version from GMG or somewhere and redeem it no problem.

If that's true, it's annoying but far less offensive than Konami's efforts. I still don't see the Lords of Shadow games or Metal Gear Rising on Steam, which is frankly disgraceful.

Yeah, you're right on the money. If you're interested in picking up the game as cheap as possible but want to avoid region lock shenanigans I'd wait for the game to pop up on Nuuvem: assuming the 10% discount seen on Steam will propagate to Nuuvem, the game should be BRL$76, which is roughly USD$32.70.

sheaaaa

Yeah, you're right on the money. If you're interested in picking up the game as cheap as possible but want to avoid region lock shenanigans I'd wait for the game to pop up on Nuuvem: assuming the 10% discount seen on Steam will propagate to Nuuvem, the game should be BRL$76, which is roughly USD$32.70.

Thanks, you're a real help. Do you happen to know if the Lords of Shadows and Metal Gear Rising would be redeemable if I get them on a third-party site?

Also my first giveaway!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Swapper -- MB-677631A2DF243676 - Taken by Alduin. 1 entrants total.
Giana Sisters -- MB-19509BC239ABFF67 - Taken by Sarcasm. 1 entrants total.
Driftmoon -- MB-964166F91E95436E - Taken by Sendou. 3 entrants total.

t1395482233z1.png

Wok

I wanted to have a look at the games I own on the Humble Store. There are so many games with thumbnails, and then the list of bundles, that the webpage takes ages to load. Better stick to Steam.

JaseC

Thanks, you're a real help. Do you happen to know if the Lords of Shadows and Metal Gear Rising would be redeemable if I get them on a third-party site?

The original Castlevania would activate just fine but both the sequel and Rising would require a VPN to activate -- not to play, just for key redemption. Officially speaking using a VPN with Steam at all is prohibited as per the Steam Subscriber Agreement, however in practice Valve doesn't care if you're just using one to activate a key or unlock a game early; myself and many other GAFers have been using a VPN for these purposes on the odd occasion for years and haven't encountered any trouble, and speaking more broadly there are no verified or reputable reports to the contrary.

Although key activation is unlikely to draw Valve's ire, I would strongly advise against using one to activate region-locked gift copies of games as this technically falls under the umbrella of using a VPN to skirt region-specific pricing on Steam itself.

oipic

Whoa I won, thanks!

No worries. :)

(nice first giveaway, too, sheaaaa)

Anyone kind enough to do a quick summary of what happened over the past 2 weeks?

Welcome back, Accent!

In other news, Steam has suffered a week or two of multiple, ever-increasing outages; JaseC chalked up his 2,500th game milestone, too. Some have speculated that the two happenings are linked somehow.

Anyone kind enough to do a quick summary of what happened over the past 2 weeks? I only know of Sony's VR announcement :p

GO is getting bigger and bigger while Steam is getting more unstable every day. OR DK2 has been announced. Valve demoed the redesigned SC at GDC and got bad press and mixed public reaction. UE4 and CE moved to service type licensing deal shocking (in a good way) a lot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom