• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coreda

image.php

Prior to stumbling into SaoirseGAF I had actually thought the avatar was someone cosplaying as Morrigan from Darkstalkers.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Whoa, Train Simulator 2014? And it has 161 DLC? What about the old TS and its DLC?!

Every year they release a new main game. If you own the old one, you get upgraded, along with any DLC you have. I think over the years a small handful of DLC have not transferred, but the vast majority have. I bought Trainworks in like 2010 or 2011 or something and I'm still being upgraded for free every year.

Tenrius

What's the deal with Heroine's Quest? Why did they decide to make it a free-to-play game? Either way, it sounds really awesome. I'd definitely pay for a Quest for Glory-esque game.

Li Kao

So I just finished Rogue Legacy for the first time. What a great game!

Is the Legacy+ mode worth it? I gave it a quick go and I liked how the starting castle became challenging again. Sunk 15 hours in this so far, tempted to do it all over again!

Mmh, I would say that the second run was the most fun for me. Don't really know why, maybe because of a sweet spot between a better handling of the game and the added difficulty.
Third run was done for the achievements and that's when the game began a little tiresome. The 'been there done that' effect appeared in full force then.

Chronoja

Holy shit, Goat Simulator is the real deal
GDC gameplay with commentary
I was going to wait for impressions when it released, but that video just sold me

I find it so difficult to find anything interesting about this. Don't get me wrong, I'm sort of glad that it's getting made, but it feels like a joke that's gone too far (probably because it literally is). It seems the epitome of "novelty", next to no gameplay but riding this apparent wave of "because it's so goofy in concept it'll be hilarious". I don't know, I figured we'd got past the whole "look how funny ragdoll physics can be" phase. I hope it at least releases at a sensible price cause I can't see it as something that amuses much past the first hour or two. Hopefully I'm wrong about that too.

Tizoc

What the hey man, Yaiba doesn't have cards? Hope they add them soon =/
So far it's OK. Really colorful and combat is OK. If you want a Musou like game where you slaughter hordes of enemies you might like this. The stronger zombies however are a hassle.

Gonna beat it on Easy first, then replay on normal to unlock everything, then prob. go for the remaining cheevos.

Visually though it looks really good at 60 FPS~
15C8083D3F9D1318D898FD8113FAFE38E9A89AA8

kulapik

Is there any web, twitter or something that can use rss that says if steam is down or not? I want to create an IFTTT command but I can't find any :/

Zafir

So far it's OK. Really colorful and combat is OK. If you want a Musou like game where you slaughter hordes of enemies you might like this. The stronger zombies however are a hassle.

Gonna beat it on Easy first, then replay on normal to unlock everything, then prob. go for the remaining cheevos.

Is there decent AA? Love the art style, but the jagged edges bugs me on cell shaded kind of art styles. Killer is Dead was a great example, on consoles the jagged edges just killed the art style for me.

Either way, I'll give it a buy when it's on sale. I'm still interested despite the reviews, however, not £50 interested. I'm not even sure what possessed Tecmo Koei to put it up for £50. That's worse than EA/Acti pricing...

Even if it's a bad game, I really liked the visual they choose for it.
UywqSy5.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wow my interest in Ninja Gaiden Yaiba just went from a 0/10 ("no interest, would probably still be compelled to buy if it was $1 or something, but I wouldn't play it") to a -5/10 ("wouldn't buy at any price, would give it away if I got it in a bundle")

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Why is that dude wearing a skirt?
And why is it raining panties?

It was probably written by someone who is a fan of similar 'ecchi' styled anime. I was never interested in that particular subculture myself so anyone more well versed please feel free to clarify.

_hekk05

Banned
It was probably written by someone who is a fan of similar 'ecchi' styled anime. I was never interested in that particular subculture myself so anyone more well versed please feel free to clarify.

Raining panties sounds like a Sora no Otoshimono moment. (although Sora no Otoshimono has flying panties instead of falling panties)

Possibly that and/or some executive thought that pushing the more otaku oriented stuff would lead to better sales in Japan or something.

Stumpokapow
Still sort of AFK, please contact someone else for help
I play and review crap games so you don't have to

Wow my interest in Ninja Gaiden Yaiba just went from a 0/10 ("no interest, would probably still be compelled to buy if it was $1 or something, but I wouldn't play it") to a -5/10 ("wouldn't buy at any price, would give it away if I got it in a bundle")

Ouchie!

Grief.exe

Having finally played through Diablo 3 (without the auction house crap) I can now declare it not to be a big deal that Blizzard has zero presence on Steam. There are multiple vastly superior ARPGs available on the service that aren't filled with stagnant design decisions.

The itemization is still not as interesting as Diablo 2 and the limited actions literally limit your actions.

From what I have heard, the gameplay is pretty fun though.

Grief.exe

Phill Spencer, the head of the Xbox division, had this to say about PC gaming.

“Valve has focused on PC gaming more, in a lot of ways, than Microsoft has,” that ”it’s important to invest in [PC gaming] in a real way,” and that PC gamers can expect to see “tier-1 initiatives for PC gaming from Microsoft beginning this summer.”

That time period also coincides with the GFWL shutdown. Are we going to see Viva Pinata, Gears of War, and the Halo Trilogy on Steam? Or, take the cautious route, expect more lies and be pleasantly surprised if the opposite occurs.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

“Valve has focused on PC gaming more, in a lot of ways, than Microsoft has,” that ”it’s important to invest in [PC gaming] in a real way,” and that PC gamers can expect to see “tier-1 initiatives for PC gaming from Microsoft beginning this summer.”

That time period also coincides with the GFWL shutdown. Are we going to see Viva Pinata, Gears of War, and the Halo Trilogy on Steam? Or, take the cautious route, expect more lies and be pleasantly surprised if the opposite occurs.

Microsoft will announce Games for Windows Store, the successor to Games for Windows Live.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

What a nice rating scale. I wish paid journalists would adopt this rating method.

HoosTrax

I'm more scared that they're going to unveil GFWL v2.0.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
7 Days to Die is 20% off for the next 8 days, making the game $19.99 or $31.99 for a two-pack ($16 per head).

Edit: If Microsoft does bring over its GFWL catalogue in the Steamworks form (which is what I actually expect to happen), I hope we also finally get ilomilo+. I've been meaning to buy it from the Windows Store now that I'm running Win8.1 as it's only $5, but needless to say I'd happily double-dip if it were to appear on Steam later down the line.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The itemization is still not as interesting as Diablo 2 and the limited actions literally limit your actions.

From what I have heard, the gameplay is pretty fun though.

The moment to moment gameplay feels good, but the character progression feels incredibly limited and the encounter design is lazy as hell, particularly in the back half of the game where it's just enemy spam.

Which one's your favorite? I've been fighting off the urge to get the D3 expansion. I got burned so hard getting the base game day one.

Titan Quest/Torchlight 2 in co-op are significantly better experiences than Diablo 3 in co-op. They are both longer games too.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Still looking for 2 more people to split a Payday 2 4-pack. If anybody's interested PM me

For some reason, I'm really bummed that Warlock 2: The Exiled is outselling Age of Wonders 3 on Steam right now. Warlock 2 is a featured game and AoW3 is not, perhaps that's the deciding factor... In any case, AoW3 looks like it's going to be great and I want it to well, dangit! :(

Which one's your favorite? I've been fighting off the urge to get the D3 expansion. I got burned so hard getting the base game day one.

Yeah... Diablo 3 was a big letdown. I played it gleefully for a few dozen hours before it dawned on me that the entire game was designed around the auction house. Don't get me wrong, D3 has great presentation and enjoyable gameplay, but every system was tied directly back to the auction house in an unsavoury way. Also, the cinematics during the game were irritating and should have been done like D2, where they can be entirely ignored at the player's leisure. Right now I can't muster enough will to launch the game (even though it's currently installed) to check out Loot 2.0 because I'm concerned it will be just another letdown.

And I know you're not asking me, but I'll answer anyways: the only ARPG that I've really been inspired to play for a while is Din's Curse (with the expansion, of course), from Soldak Entertainment. It's got janky mechanics and very lo-fi presentation, but I find it to be the only ARPG with mechanics engaging enough to play for extended periods - aside from Diablo 2, of course.

That's from a while back. There's an animated film using the Source engine for its animating, and they've created a pipeline to make that even easier. They announced the film around the release of Source Filmmaker, but I haven't followed it since then. Shane Acker who did the short, and feature '9' was involved.

Here's an article from 2012: http://variety.com/2012/film/news/acker-brown-bag-team-with-valve-on-deep-1118055231/

Doesn't look like there have been any updates since then.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I do like TL2 a lot, especially with mods. There arent a ton of people playing it though. I'm looking for a really solid D2 replacement with an actice community so maybe PoE is the way to go.

I was burned out on the genre for a bit but that likely had more to do with how disappointing D3 was than anything.

If you're looking for a solid D2 replacement, Path of Exile is what you're looking for. Honestly, it's what Diablo 3 should have been.

It has a similar "dark fantasy" setting, almost identical inventory / equipment system as D2 (each item takes a certain amount of room in your grid inventory, can equip weapons / armor / rings / amulets on the "paper doll"), lots of things to do spanned over 3 acts and 3 difficulty settings, and a leveling / skill tree system that will blow your mind at the level of customization you can put into a character.

If you liked Diablo 2 and haven't played Path of Exile yet, you need to correct this immediately.

Pachimari

I'm playing Crysis for the first time but weren't the leafs on the trees supposed to move as you walk into them? Or was that cut?

And why is it installing "setup" every time I start up the game through Steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom