• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

This is probably one of the most asked questions, but I'm a little tired at the moment to search for it and anyway I trust SteamGAF over Google itself, so:

is there an easy, safe and complete way to stop some games asking me to install redinst every single time I launch them?

(It's happening with Dishonored and Sequence at the moment, but it has happened with other games too.)

Thak you my dears!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Raining panties sounds like a Sora no Otoshimono moment. (although Sora no Otoshimono has flying panties instead of falling panties)

Heh, I was actually thinking of those school anime/mangas where they had one character who was the stereotypical 'nerdy pervert' who would both wear a pair of panties on his head and obsess over the undergarments. And at one point the show may have a exposition segment where the character would be showered by panties. But, in the last few years the anime/manga seems to have created a new sub genre that is more exploitative? There seems to be actual shows based around gratuitous panty and boob shots instead of said shots being an exception to the show as a whole.

Possibly that and/or some executive thought that pushing the more otaku oriented stuff would lead to better sales in Japan or something.

That seems like a strong possibility. But I originally thought the purpose of this game was to try and gain more mainstream appeal to the usually hardcore community that is interested in Ninja Gaiden, so it its surprising that they decided to pursue the otaku crowd.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Edit: If Microsoft does bring over its GFWL catalogue in the Steamworks form (which is what I actually expect to happen), I hope we also finally get ilomilo+. I've been meaning to buy it from the Windows Store now that I'm running Win8.1 as it's only $5, but needless to say I'd happily double-dip if it were to appear on Steam later down the line.

Actually, ilomilo+ is currently on sale for $2.49 in the Win8 store. It might be a region-locked sale. Great game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Enhanced Steam for Google Chrome has been updated to version 6.0. This update includes a number of changes:

• Added warning dialog when browsing Steam in a language other than your preferred language
  • Added price history information to the wishlist page when hovering over a game
  • Added option to display store page videos using HTML5 player instead of Flash
  • Added library filtering options by genre and by category
  • Added coupon discount percentage to display on coupon tags
  • Added your personal achievement stats back to app pages in the "My Activity" box
  • Fixed a bug that caused Early Access overlays to incorrectly show on games with coupons
  • Fixed header links inserted by Enhanced Steam not displaying due to a change made by Valve
  • Fixed a bug in some languages where badge filtering didn't work properly
  • Fixed a bug in entering custom amounts into Steam wallet page
  • Enhanced Steam will now display the highest % off coupon you have available on app pages
The extension will update automatically in the next 60 minutes.

As always, if you have any problems with the new version, please let me know.

Tellaerin

Heh, I was actually thinking of those school anime/mangas where they had one character who was the stereotypical 'nerdy pervert' who would both wear a pair of panties on his head and obsess over the undergarments. And at one point the show may have a exposition segment where the character would be showered by panties. But, in the last few years the anime/manga seems to have created a new sub genre that is more exploitative? There seems to be actual shows based around gratuitous panty and boob shots instead of said shots being an exception to the show as a whole.

That seems like a strong possibility. But I originally thought the purpose of this game was to try and gain more mainstream appeal to the usually hardcore community that is interested in Ninja Gaiden, so it its surprising that they decided to pursue the otaku crowd.

Is this panty explosion representative of the entire game, then? I saw that and I assumed it was just a one-off bit of silliness that's played for laughs rather than the ecchi factor, but the way you're talking now makes it sound like the whole game may be built around that kind of humor. >.>

Wow my interest in Ninja Gaiden Yaiba just went from a 0/10 ("no interest, would probably still be compelled to buy if it was $1 or something, but I wouldn't play it") to a -5/10 ("wouldn't buy at any price, would give it away if I got it in a bundle")

Your loss. It's a lot of fun.

It's like Borderlands art and humour meets a musou/action hybrid. I'm having a blast. Worth every $ I paid so far, and I'm not even halfway yet, I think.

Enhanced Steam for Google Chrome has been updated to version 6.0. This update includes a number of changes:

• Added warning dialog when browsing Steam in a language other than your preferred language
  • Added price history information to the wishlist page when hovering over a game
  • Added option to display store page videos using HTML5 player instead of Flash
  • Added library filtering options by genre and by category
  • Added coupon discount percentage to display on coupon tags
  • Added your personal achievement stats back to app pages in the "My Activity" box
  • Fixed a bug that caused Early Access overlays to incorrectly show on games with coupons
  • Fixed header links inserted by Enhanced Steam not displaying due to a change made by Valve
  • Fixed a bug in some languages where badge filtering didn't work properly
  • Fixed a bug in entering custom amounts into Steam wallet page
  • Enhanced Steam will now display the highest % off coupon you have available on app pages
The extension will update automatically in the next 60 minutes.

As always, if you have any problems with the new version, please let me know.

Nice. Always appreciated.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Your loss. It's a lot of fun.

It's like Borderlands art and humour meets a musou/action hybrid. I'm having a blast. Worth every $ I paid so far, and I'm not even halfway yet, I think.

I don't like Borderlands' art, I don't like Borderlands' humour, I don't like Musou games, and I don't like combo/character action games, so I'm not sure you did much to reverse my apparently incorrect opinion on the game :p

Uraizen

Banned
I don't like Borderlands' art, I don't like Borderlands' humour, I don't like Musou games, and I don't like combo/character action games, so I'm not sure you did much to reverse my apparently incorrect opinion on the game :p

Say whaaaat? I mean, you're allowed to dislike the genre just like I dislike RPGs, but... say whaaaaat?

Bluth54

Phill Spencer, the head of the Xbox division, had this to say about PC gaming.

“Valve has focused on PC gaming more, in a lot of ways, than Microsoft has,” that ”it’s important to invest in [PC gaming] in a real way,” and that PC gamers can expect to see “tier-1 initiatives for PC gaming from Microsoft beginning this summer.”

That time period also coincides with the GFWL shutdown. Are we going to see Viva Pinata, Gears of War, and the Halo Trilogy on Steam? Or, take the cautious route, expect more lies and be pleasantly surprised if the opposite occurs.
Please be copublishing, along with whoever bought the rights to the IP at the auction, Rise of Nations Gold HD edition.

Knurek

Microsoft has been promising more focus on PC gaming for the last 7 years, with no results to show, I think we can safely assume that's not gonna change till the investors make them sell off XBox division.

Lego Batman 2 DC Super Heroes is way better in my opinion. Better writing better use of super heroes better universe.

Stop it with LEGO praise, please, I've only just 100% LEGO LotR, I don't have strength for another LEGO game so soon. :\

I don't expect anything less than cancer from MS's offerings. That way, if they do release something nice I'll be quite happy.

Also make Xbone controller drivers already ffs.

Arthea

Microsoft has been promising more focus on PC gaming for the last 7 years, with no results to show, I think we can safely assume that's not gonna change till the investors make them sell off XBox division.

No results? you just called GFWL no result? It resulted in plenty of pain and I mean plenty and most likely we haven't seen the end of that pain yet.

Anteater

man what the fuck I shot my target's car with a rocket launcher before it takes off in gta4 eflc and shit went right through it, fucking shit! had to do that shit over and this game's engine is a miserable pile of shit

Tenrius

The Steam version on Heroine's Quest apparently uses your Steam name as your heroine's name. Too bad "Keldorn" is not exactly a female name.

:lol
Well, if it's not a genre you enjoy, then I'm not going to be able to fix that.
But I really do think the game is fun and am enjoying it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dead Island Epidemic #2 -- MB-2755677F1A87F919 - Taken by Terra_Ex
Dead Island Epidemic -- MB-23744A0F8ADAA9DC - Taken by zeroOman

Trashbot sends his regards.

Kingdoms of Amalur
Valkyrie Profile games
Tales of... games
Shadow Hearts games
Dark Souls

Well... KoA and Dark Souls are Action RPGs... soooo...

MUnited83

For you.
Lego games have been wonderful since Lego Batman 2. Voice-acting and open worlds make the games so much more fun. Lego Batman 2, Lego Lord of the Rings, Lego City Undercover, Lego Marvel. Love them all, they are awesome! I do like the previous games too but they just aren't as fun.

Arthea

Oh yeah? I wish to have an example!

my combo count in ToG (Tales of Graces) is 5K, in one battle, it that doesn't convince you, nothing will (><)
While Tales isn't best example of such games, not bad either, while battle systems Tri-Ace makes, certainly are. Also comboing in Cross Edge was insanely fun, but that's no action game.
And most ARPGs feature combos in one way or other, and some of those battle systems are good, really.

Not trying yo convince you to start playing RPGs, though, because they have other elements, that you might not like, if it's not your thing, it's not.

Kingdoms of Amalur
Valkyrie Profile games
Tales of... games
Shadow Hearts games
Dark Souls

That's not true, I like Shadow Hearts, but combat is no fun there, on that account I wouldn't suggest it.

Lego games have been wonderful since Lego Batman 2. Voice-acting and open worlds make the games so much more fun. Lego Batman 2, Lego Lord of the Rings, Lego City Undercover, Lego Marvel. Love them all, they are awesome! I do like the previous games too but they just aren't as fun.

Lego HP was where I thought they turned the corner.
Having split screen local co-op made them leaps and bounds better than the Star Wars (and maybe the original LEGO Batman?). It probably helped that I like the source material, but the real change was LEGO HP 1-4. It was also open world... so it might have been the first to bring about the changes you like in all those other games. Though there isn't an Voice-acting in the LEGO HP games.

Uraizen

Banned
my combo count in ToG (Tales of Graces) is 5K, in one battle, it that doesn't convince you, nothing will (><)
While Tales isn't best example of such games, not bad either, while battle systems Tri-Ace makes, certainly are. Also comboing in Cross Edge was insanely fun, but that's no action game.
And most ARPGs feature combos in one way or other, and some of those battle systems are good, really.

Not trying yo convince you to start playing RPGs, though, because they have other elements, that you might not like, if it's not your thing, it's not.

I just wanted to see what you had to say. The only Tales game I played was Vesperia and I expected to be able to do the stuff I saw in combo videos right away. I asked my friend why I couldn't and he said I couldn't do that stuff until 20 hours in. I immediately stopped playing after hearing that.

Arthea

I just wanted to see what you had to say. The only Tales game I played was Vesperia and I expected to be able to do the stuff I saw in combo videos right away. I asked my friend why I couldn't and he said I couldn't do that stuff until 20 hours in. I immediately stopped playing after hearing that.

That's true, less true for Tri-Ace games, but still you have to play a lot before you can make godlike combos, in any RPG, actually.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Say whaaaat? I mean, you're allowed to dislike the genre just like I dislike RPGs, but... say whaaaaat?

I don't think I've ever actually liked the combat in a 3D Brawler / character action / stylish action / whatever the genre is called. I don't like Ninja Gaiden, God of War, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Rygar, God Hand. I'm not saying these are bad games. I'm saying they're not for me. I tolerate melee combat in games like Remember Me and Enslaved. I like 2d beat-em-ups, but typically only shallow ones. Timing/combo based melee combat doesn't do it for me. I don't know how to articulate it beyond that. I also don't like the presentation of God of War (too crass), Bayonetta or Devil May Cry (just totally stupid and shrill). Just my opinion, obviously I recognize that some of those games are highly acclaimed and enjoyed by many and I don't as a rule shit-talk them because I know the limitation is me, not the game.

I also don't play fighting games much, or non-kart/arcade racing games, or shoot-em-ups, or MMOs, or MOBA. It's not a blanket ban on the genres, but it's definitely a handicap for me.

I mostly play adventure games, platformers 2D and 3D, puzzle games (both sort of timed-arcade-reflex and quieter, non-timed type puzzle games), RPGs (action and command-driven, western and Japanese, and dungeon crawlers), FPS, TPS, action-adventure, party, rhythm, trivia/word/board, some strategy (RTS and TBS) and simulation games.

MUnited83

For you.
Lego HP was where I thought they turned the corner.
Having split screen local co-op made them leaps and bounds better than the Star Wars (and maybe the original LEGO Batman?). It probably helped that I like the source material, but the real change was LEGO HP 1-4. It was also open world... so it might have been the first to bring about the changes you like in all those other games. Though there isn't an Voice-acting in the LEGO HP games.

Lego HP was also wonderful, but not quite as good, imo. Felt a little bit too repetitive. I do agree that its where they introduced some very good changes to the franchise, but I feel that Lego Batman 2 was where they nailed it.

It also pissed me a bit with the PS3 version trophies. Holy crap, so many bugs.

Tenrius

It does? It asked me to enter a name when I played it...

Well, it asked me too, I didn't press anything and it skipped to the next screen after a few seconds. It said "Keldorn" on the attributes screen. I then restarted the game and was able to name the character myself.

Uraizen

Banned
That's true, less true for Tri-Ace games, but still you have to play a lot before you can make godlike combos, in any RPG, actually.

Boo.

Dark Souls has combos. Not in traditional sense but still

Light attack, light attack, light attack? Sometimes heavy attack followed up by another heavy attack? That's really all I can think of that comes close to a combo.

I don't think I've ever actually liked the combat in a 3D Brawler / character action / stylish action / whatever the genre is called. I don't like Ninja Gaiden, God of War, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Rygar, God Hand. I'm not saying these are bad games. I'm saying they're not for me. I tolerate melee combat in games like Remember Me and Enslaved. I like 2d beat-em-ups, but typically only shallow ones. Timing/combo based melee combat doesn't do it for me. I don't know how to articulate it beyond that. I also don't like the presentation of God of War (too crass), Bayonetta or Devil May Cry (just totally stupid and shrill). Just my opinion, obviously I recognize that some of those games are highly acclaimed and enjoyed by many and I don't as a rule shit-talk them because I know the limitation is me, not the game.

I also don't play fighting games much, or non-kart/arcade racing games, or shoot-em-ups, or MMOs, or MOBA. It's not a blanket ban on the genres, but it's definitely a handicap for me.

I mostly play adventure games, platformers 2D and 3D, puzzle games (both sort of timed-arcade-reflex and quieter, non-timed type puzzle games), RPGs (action and command-driven, western and Japanese, and dungeon crawlers), FPS, TPS, action-adventure, party, rhythm, trivia/word/board, some strategy (RTS and TBS) and simulation games.

Heh, tolerate it, too, just for different reasons. Either way, fair enough.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Is this panty explosion representative of the entire game, then? I saw that and I assumed it was just a one-off bit of silliness that's played for laughs rather than the ecchi factor, but the way you're talking now makes it sound like the whole game may be built around that kind of humor. >.>

Oh, sorry for the confusion. I was commenting on the developments in the Anime/Manga world more than the game. Yaiba is more like the suggestive nature of Borderlands, (complete with a handler that is best described as the younger sister of Mad Moxxi) than a game like Senran Kagura.

Li Kao

I played and finished Capsized today. Nice art, shitty game. Boring as hell, badly adjusted difficulty, derivative boss design, short. No way around it, it was not a good play at all.

HoosTrax

I typically really don't care for 3D character action games either. I think it's twofold in my case -- 1) the character itself rarely appeals to me, and 2) the gameplay gets repetitive after a while. I touched on this a while back, but for me to play as a specific, canonical character, it needs to either be a female character, or a male character that's attractive and has an amenable personality by my personal standards. So the Darksiders games and GoW games are usually not my cup of tea.

I don't know if Kingdoms of Amalur is considered a character action game, an action RPG, or a hybrid, but I did have a decent time playing that game (enough to put a few dozen hours into it anyways).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom