• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
If Dark Souls has combos, i've been playing wrong.

It does. Sort of. I would call them movesets. But things like sprinting and then hitting short attack or long attack play different animations. I think on some weapons short attack, short attack, long attack produce a specific animation. With things like spears there a specific animation to pressing short attack as you come out of a roll.

But yeah, there are probably like 6 unique animations for each weapon to be used and mixed with deliberateness.

Lego HP was also wonderful, but not quite as good, imo. Felt a little bit too repetitive. I do agree that its where they introduced some very good changes to the franchise, but I feel that Lego Batman 2 was where they nailed it.

It also pissed me a bit with the PS3 version trophies. Holy crap, so many bugs.

I never hit any bugs with those. Platinum'ed both. :)
I have some of the other games on Steam, but haven't been in the mood to play a LEGO game lately.

Oh, sorry for the confusion. I was commenting on the developments in the Anime/Manga world more than the game. Yaiba is more like the suggestive nature of Borderlands, (complete with a handler that is best described as the younger sister of Mad Moxxi) than a game like Senran Kagura.

It's definitely got a lot of double entrendres -- I mean that line about coddling your maracas is pretty indicitive. If someone watched a trailer, they could get a good idea of the sense of humour the game uses.

Yaiba's almost kind of like Deadpool in a way, but without the 4th wall breaking. He's got the action-hero bad ass one liners, but he's just a jerk who loves killing when it comes down to it. Then you have the other Borderlands-esque "weapon" names that are sort of groan worthy (like numb-chucks, nun-chuckles, and hagpipes).

_hekk05

Banned
Oh, sorry for the confusion. I was commenting on the developments in the Anime/Manga world more than the game. Yaiba is more like the suggestive nature of Borderlands, (complete with a handler that is best described as the younger sister of Mad Moxxi) than a game like Senran Kagura.

Senran Kagura is an ode to old school magical giela anime though. Short skirts, transformation scenes, god rays in said scene. Think sailor moon.

I like to think anime/manga are heading back to a point where genuine plot and themes exist. Log horizon, chuunibyo etc. They have their serious moments and their gag moments, unlike the monstrosity that is K-on! or SAO.

I miss the simpler days of Haruhi, when moeblobs didn't exist, and anything Key made was sure to make you cry.

Kaleinc

Banned
Light attack, light attack, light attack? Sometimes heavy attack followed up by another heavy attack? That's really all I can think of that comes close to a combo.
No, combo in DS is when you deal more damage with subsequent attacks which wasn't caused by enemy changing stance.

MUnited83

For you.
I never hit any bugs with those. Platinum'ed both. :)
I have some of the other games on Steam, but haven't been in the mood to play a LEGO game lately.

You were lucky as hell I guess :p. I tried my best to avoid the bugs people reported, and got screwed up anyways. Animagus trophy didn't unlock :/

Firebrand

Laughed a bit reading the Daylight req / rec specs.
Minimum:

Recommended:

Another game that requires DX11 too, I guess we'll be seeing a lot more of that this year.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
where are all these dead island dota keys coming from?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
where are all these dead island dota keys coming from?

They turned it into "The Ship" basically. (Almost) everyone in the beta got two free beta copies in their inventory. And those people get two copies...

Kaleinc

Banned
Stances? What Dark Souls have you been playing?
I don't feel like discussing mechanics but did you ever notice when bosses jump back and you hit them the damage is greater than usual. That happened not because of combo but due to a change of stance.
That's what I meant, keeping them in hit stun. Mind giving me an example or two beyond my own?
Depends on weapon speed but light attack, heavy attack combo very often, combustion, great chaos fireball.

Grief.exe

I had this phenomena couple of weeks ago, I bought new headphones, after an hour pr so of using them, I had headache of headaches, grandpa headache, thrown them away. Thankfully not very expensive.

Apparently its a frequent problem. This headband is just very hard and presses awkwardly down on the skull.

There is no easy fix either.

akg_q701_headband.jpg

New headphones give me a splitting headache, sigh.

Had that problem with my current pair. I fastened them around my trombone case (it stands on end near my stereo) for a few days to stretch the band so that it wouldn't clamp my head so hard. After 3 or 4 days it was stretched out enough I could wear them comfortably.

So, if you want to be bothered maybe try claming the headphones around something close to the size of your head so they stretch out

(what can I say, I hate throwing things away if I think I can get some use out of them.)

HoosTrax

Apparently its a frequent problem. This headband is just very hard and presses awkwardly down on the skull.

There is no easy fix either.

akg_q701_headband.jpg
I find that the split headbands that AKG and Audio Technica use are really comfy. On the other hand, anything that is poorly padded and presses down on the top of my head is going to be a pain after a while.

Grief.exe

Had that problem with my current pair. I fastened them around my trombone case (it stands on end near my stereo) for a few days to stretch the band so that it wouldn't clamp my head so hard. After 3 or 4 days it was stretched out enough I could wear them comfortably.

So, if you want to be bothered maybe try claming the headphones around something close to the size of your head so they stretch out

(what can I say, I hate throwing things away if I think I can get some use out of them.)

Ya, I was going to try that and see how they worked after a while. Its a shame as they sound amazing.

The problem is, they were a gift so it will be difficult to coordinate a return/replacement with my parents if I decide to go that route.

I say this with a headband-induced splitting headache.

I find that the split headbands that AKG and Audio Technica use are really comfy. On the other hand, anything that is poorly padded and presses down on the top of my head is going to be a pain after a while.

I agree, the AD700 headband was just so perfect. I would commonly forget I was even wearing them.

tumblr_m0rku7ui1P1qzbzs2.jpg

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Hey jshackles.

First of all I really do quite like the lowest price info being given on wishlist, but how do I remove just that one selection of data? When I removed a game from the wish list, the Current Lowest Price: et all stayed behind for example.

The info comes up for Galaxy on Fire 2 for example.
APIVsgY.jpg

However it remains after I remove it.
d68frnJ.jpg

Not a big deal since I refreshing the page takes care of it, so I'm just curious if there is another way in doing it.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Hey, man, everyone's entitled to an opinion, even if it's wrong. ; )
Indeed you are.

But seriously, I love me some Marvel. It's just that I find most DC stuff to be a whole lot more interesting. And Justice League>The Avengers. You can keep Aquaman, though.

Anyhow, to stay a bit ontopic; I've been playing a lot of Assassin's Creed II the last couple of day's. Just completed Sequence 4.
I get the love for the game and I share it aswell. For the most part, anyway. Exploring and climbing through Firenze with it's lovely atmosphere is great. Loving the collect-a-thoning, hidden tombs and attention to detail. So many paintings, great stuff. Ezio is a nice character as well, suprisingly so for someone who stabs so much. Something you can expect looking at the title but still, not a fan. From a gameplay perspective as well. Waiting for that one-kill counter seems to be the answer to every fight.
Also, I like conspiracy stories but this one feels way too over the top. I get it, "Nothing's True", but the way they handled it just feels...off. Knowing the game's ending and where the series main-story goes doesn't help. Those
magical precursor thingy's
make me sigh.

Those "The Truth" puzzles are pretty fun, though.
Bought it for a buck, worth it. :p
Bad port, though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
They turned it into "The Ship" basically. (Almost) everyone in the beta got two free beta copies in their inventory. And those people get two copies...

you say that, but I dont have it...or the ship! lol

MUnited83

For you.
I have a sealed copy of Mass Effect 3 Collectors Edition(got it for 5 euros lol) that I've been saving for when I finish the two first ones on PC... but I just saw the prices that this goes for on Ebay, and I'm considering selling it for money to use on my summer sale haul. Decisions, decisions...

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification!

:p

It's definitely got a lot of double entrendres -- I mean that line about coddling your maracas is pretty indicitive. If someone watched a trailer, they could get a good idea of the sense of humour the game uses.

Yaiba's almost kind of like Deadpool in a way, but without the 4th wall breaking. He's got the action-hero bad ass one liners, but he's just a jerk who loves killing when it comes down to it. Then you have the other Borderlands-esque "weapon" names that are sort of groan worthy (like numb-chucks, nun-chuckles, and hagpipes).

Yeah, Deadpool is also a good example of what to expect, especially script wise. Well, Deadpool has a few good lines and scenes, Yaiba...less so. A lot of the time with Yaiba I felt it would have been better if there was less commentary.

Senran Kagura is an ode to old school magical giela anime though. Short skirts, transformation scenes, god rays in said scene. Think sailor moon.

I like to think anime/manga are heading back to a point where genuine plot and themes exist. Log horizon, chuunibyo etc. They have their serious moments and their gag moments, unlike the monstrosity that is K-on! or SAO.

I miss the simpler days of Haruhi, when moeblobs didn't exist, and anything Key made was sure to make you cry.

Kagura seems like a genre derived from animes like sailor moon more than just an ode to them. From the few episodes that I've watched (my friend was a big fan of Sailor Moon so I watched a few episodes with her...it wasn't really my type of show) there was less emphasis on bouncing breasts and panty shots.

Personally it's nice to hear that the genre is trending toward more substantive issues and portrayals. Not that I'm for a ban on the more gratuitous shows, I think every genre deserves it's place in the medium.

Oh, I'm not a particular fan of the moe explosion. It really has overrun anime/manga and the games produced in Japan.

So how do I not have a copy then huh? (I don't know how I have The Ship in my inventory)

Anteater

I don't think I've ever actually liked the combat in a 3D Brawler / character action / stylish action / whatever the genre is called. I don't like Ninja Gaiden, God of War, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Rygar, God Hand. I'm not saying these are bad games. I'm saying they're not for me. I tolerate melee combat in games like Remember Me and Enslaved. I like 2d beat-em-ups, but typically only shallow ones. Timing/combo based melee combat doesn't do it for me. I don't know how to articulate it beyond that. I also don't like the presentation of God of War (too crass), Bayonetta or Devil May Cry (just totally stupid and shrill). Just my opinion, obviously I recognize that some of those games are highly acclaimed and enjoyed by many and I don't as a rule shit-talk them because I know the limitation is me, not the game.

I also don't play fighting games much, or non-kart/arcade racing games, or shoot-em-ups, or MMOs, or MOBA. It's not a blanket ban on the genres, but it's definitely a handicap for me.

I mostly play adventure games, platformers 2D and 3D, puzzle games (both sort of timed-arcade-reflex and quieter, non-timed type puzzle games), RPGs (action and command-driven, western and Japanese, and dungeon crawlers), FPS, TPS, action-adventure, party, rhythm, trivia/word/board, some strategy (RTS and TBS) and simulation games.

hmm strange that you didn't like god hand since it's not really combo-heavy and you like 2d brawlers, it's basically a brawler in 3d and your combo string is limited to like 5 hits

they are all based on twitch reflexes though so if you don't like that it's probably not going to do it for you

:
Yeah, Deadpool is also a good example of what to expect, especially script wise. Well, Deadpool has a few good lines and scenes, Yaiba...less so. A lot of the time with Yaiba I felt it would have been better if there was less commentary.

3 Chapters in and I absolutely love his liens and the banter between him and Monday.
Even when it's just him... there's something so satisfying about hitting that bloodlust ability and having him go apeshit and scream something like "Fuck yeah!" or "SO. MUCH. BLOOD!" The banter with the heli when it's his "last warning". Monday's comments about him after you move the train at the beginning of chapter 4. His line about "where is Hayabusa and why isn't my foot up his ass yet?"...

Hell, the collectibles are a riot too:

Jawmuncher

I am literally wearing my headphones upside down with the headband resting on my chin, headache is instantly gone.

I was having the same issue with my Afterglow Headphones.
They just felt a little off when sitting on my head and extended play sessions ended up just being painful. Though oddly enough I ended up getting used to them. But it's been so many months since I wore them probably have to get used to them again.

I am literally wearing my headphones upside down with the headband resting on my chin, headache is instantly gone.

I usually position the headband at the top of my forehead/at the start of my hairline. Not due to headband headache but because it irritates my scalp and gets on my nerves otherwise. Glad you found a position that works :).

You guys need to consider custom IEMs.

I would love them but I have had so many IEM leads crap out on me that I am loathe to flush even more £ down the drain :/. I am currently rocking a £1 pair from Poundland but 99.9% of what I listen to is podcasts anyway so I don't need a high fidelity pair for that.

rtcn63

I would love them but I have had so many IEM leads crap out on me that I am loathe to flush even more £ down the drain :/. I am currently rocking a £1 pair from Poundland but 99.9% of what I listen to is podcasts anyway so I don't need a high fidelity pair for that.

What do you mean by leads? Cables? Because most higher-end IEMs have replaceable ones.

Pachimari

Crysis 3, BF4 and Last Light?

Check out this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=743719
Crysis 3 is a good benchmark :p

I actually thought the old Crysis 1 were still the absolute benchmark but I have everything running fine on Very High settings. To get Ultra settings I need to install a mod, right?

And I have Last Light so I could install that, and I'll definitely look into Crysis 3 when it's on sale. Thanks guys.

PS: I have to install Uplay now in order to play the free copy of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag I got from Nvidia/Ubisoft.

I actually thought the old Crysis 1 were still the absolute benchmark but I have everything running fine on Very High settings. To get Ultra settings I need to install a mod, right?

And I have Last Light so I could install that, and I'll definitely look into Crysis 3 when it's on sale. Thanks guys.

PS: I have to install Uplay now in order to play the free copy of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag I got from Nvidia/Ubisoft.

Crysis 3 looks nuts on Very High settings, it's what I use when someone wants to see how nice PC games look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom