• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

okayfrog

Banned
steamjnssa.png

By release year. Not the best way to do it obviously but I kind of like it.

Hey, I do the same thing! 'cept I only organize games I haven't beaten by release year. I then have other folders for "100% completion" (all achievements), "Finished", and "Can't Finish/Multiplayer".

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Dogs > bunnies > cats. It is known.

I used to work for a large breeding facility for over 5 years. I now hate dogs more than probably any other animal in existence. Cats all the way!

On topic: Just got a Super Sanctum TD booster pack. Since GMG gave the game out for free last week, I imagine it's one of the cheapest booster packs on the market.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I would just like to point out that not cats nor bunnies nor dogs get a mode in Gunman Clive.

How do I delete and rename a category?

If you just want to rename it.

MegaFart on Steam Forums said:
[Tutorial] How to Rename Steam Categories
Well, something quite easy to accomplish, but I just wanted to share my knowledge. I really hope Valve simply implements it as a feature in the Steam client soon.

All you'll need is Notepad for this.

All Steam category info is stored in:
C:\Steam\userdata\<userid>\7\remote\sharedconfig.v df

Where <userid> represents a number associated to the account on which you'll be renaming a category. If you have multiple folders inside "userdata", you can either:
- try to sort the folders by date modified and open the top one
- manually check each "sharedconfig.vdf" to see where the name of your current category is mentioned (use Notepad -> Edit > Find)

---

Anyway, here's all you need to do (by the way, make sure to backup your sharedconfig.vdf file beforehand, just in case):

1. Close Steam.
2. Open the sharedconfig.vdf file associated with your account with Notepad.
3. Navigate to Edit > Replace.
4. Let's say you currently have a category named "Beaten", which you want to rename to "Beaten / Done playing" or something like that.

What you'll need to enter is:
- in the "Find what" field - "Beaten" (WITH the quotes)
- in the "Replace with" field - "Beaten / Done playing" (WITH the quotes)

5. Click "Replace All" and close the window.
6. Save the file and open up Steam again.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Just beat Demon's Souls. So good! If you told me three months ago that I would play and finish both DaS and DeS I would have said you where talking crazy.
Great Action RPG's with absolutely fantastic exploration. Challenging, but fair.

I already looked forward to it, but now I really want Dark Souls 2. Anybody know where it's cheapest?
Looking forward to another Souls game on PC.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
oh god no.

Come on, are you going to say that the open world part of Far Cry 3 was well done? The island is uninteresting, you need to climb those radio tower to reaveal the map because reasons, freeing the outposts is a 5 minute deal and it's still boring, side missions are all the same (and those "stab this guy, don't shoot him because that against the tradition" are just... Awful). Hunting is neat but after a bit you have all you equipment maxed out and it loses all its meaning. There are some nice views but that's about it.

It would have worked better as a tighter experience imho. But that would have meant investing more on the main campaing, because if you just power through the main campaing skipping all the side content you're left with maybe 6 hours of playing time?

mannerbot

Just beat Demon's Souls. So good! If you told me three months ago that I would play and finish both DaS and DeS I would have said you where talking crazy.
Great Action RPG's with absolutely fantastic exploration. Challenging, but fair.

I already looked forward to it, but now I really want Dark Souls 2. Anybody know where it's cheapest?
Looking forward to another Souls game on PC.

Nuuvem and GMG have the best prices right now, $36 USD at Nuuvem and $50 w/ $12 GMG credit or $10 cash back at GMG.

MUnited83

For you.
Well, those GMG rewards just made me install Dishonored. Starting a Very Hard-No Kills-No alerts-Blink Only(level 1) playthrough. Satisfying as hell,
and better than Thief

Copons

I was super sorry to have sent this thread adrift, but then, REALLY, you dog people ought to go fire up Origin and play some dudebro shit, like right now.

Thanks guys, Naoki is super smart, comes to wake me up every morning to bed and comes to say goodnight every night. He also rests besides me while I watch TV shows and pet his head, and follows me all around the house.

Bunnies > cats > dogs.

You know how you watch game promo videos and 99% of the time they actually turn you off the game, especially if they are infested with ear cancer inducing RAWK!!! music as some bundle sites choose to do?

Well I just watched one that didn't sell me on the game as it was quick twitch gameplay and this old man prefers to have time to think before making his next move. Several millennia is good.

Anyway this was the video:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/253030

and I found the gamers failing and succeeding and getting stressed so endearing :). I know that feel bro!

Bunnies > Cats all day long!

Oh God. GAF has evolved from the cats vs dogs binary pointless argument into the cats vs dogs vs bunnies pointless argument! :(

FAKE EDIT:

:eek: See what you've done Eternia?! You've woken the three headed demon!

Cats are for crazy old ladies. :p

I really hope you were referring me to me when you typed that!

Nabs

I need to build a Divekick 2 button controller for One Finger Death Punch. They need to create a versus mode for this shit.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Come on, are you going to say that the open world part of Far Cry 3 was well done? The island is uninteresting, you need to climb those radio tower to reaveal the map because reasons, freeing the outposts is a 5 minute deal and it's still boring, side missions are all the same (and those "stab this guy, don't shoot him because that against the tradition" are just... Awful). Hunting is neat but after a bit you have all you equipment maxed out and it loses all its meaning. There are some nice views but that's about it.

It would have worked better as a tighter experience imho. But that would have meant investing more on the main campaing, because if you just power through the main campaing skipping all the side content you're left with maybe 6 hours of playing time?

While I won't call it an amazing open world, if fact I dare say most open world games don't fully utilise such a feature, I quite enjoyed it being present in this game.

I took to the game and decided to focus and bring out the idea it was supposed to be a living set of islands, where rather than just being "Rambo" and go guns ablazing and simply climbing every tower I could instantly, clearing out every outpost as fast as possible, trying to get through the story as much as possible, to get every single upgrade right away, I treated it as a journey of a hunter where the bow and arrow were key.

These were my recommendations for the game in a previous thread.
Find out how to lose the user interfaces, which means all the menus and health and what have you. Moding allow this, ini. editing can do it I believe.
Get the bow and arrow as soon as possible.
Be stealthy when possible, use the stone to lure enemies into traps.
Only take out enemy camps when you really need to, otherwise leave as many as possible so the world is constantly filled with patrolling enemies and reinforcements so they can arrive often. It just becomes very empty without them. Taking out one to ensure you have a place to quick travel to is fine, but keep the others around it open.
Hunt. Hunt not just for improved items, but for the fun of a chase without abusing or spamming bullets and rocket launchers and the like. If you can really get into it, you can get a lot of fun around stalking a tiger and killing it without it ever noticing you, or using a turtle with a mine as a trap for a komodo dragon.
Take a moment to enjoy the visual scenery as you glide around places or just drive around. Learn that is actually is a place with landmarks and well laid out road systems and bridges.

To me the hunting was made special because I didn't make use of any of the powers to avoid being seen or to quickly kill them. I tried to track them down via normal sight, the oft unnoticed sound, the moving foliage, and noticing the remains of enemies before I ever got to a section. It was a mini-game unto itself for me especially when it could be a wild animal that comes out of nowhere.

The combat when taken with just the bow and arrow and a few other small weapons allowed me to play with more planing, with more stealth when it came to the few camps I took out for story mode or just to have a quick travel. Aye I could easily just destroy a camp once again like Rambo, but that would have made it boring and dry to me right quickly. Sneaking in and taking the guards out one by one, unlocking an animal cage for hilarity, or using the services of a turtle I guide in using rocks thrown at it so it walks into the camp with C4 was rewarding enough the two times I did it.
Beyond the camps, the story mode, I got more out of the world by having a constant flow of patrolling enemies so the world never felt empty. Leading them into certain paths, taking them from afar with the bow and arrow (rewarding when you mastered the arc of it's firing), or quickly killing several of them in row with the advance takedowns were rather keen.

The "use a knife only" assasinations I enjoyed for similar reasons to the camp above. I understand why it might be boring to some, but I liked the puzzle aspect of figuring out who to take out first. Though I do admit one time I took a boat to one of them on the island, ran aground, had it flip over and smash through four of them just for me to quickly assassinate the target from above in spectacular fashion and only in an open world of my own choices does that happen without it feeling contrived.

I also do appreciate a game that allows me to stop and just look around, to enjoy the views or have an enjoyable way to travel around. While it's no Dirt 2 or Motorstorm, the game was designed well enough to make use of those off-road sections to race on, explore different paths away from the main roads, jump off small leaps or hills, and so forth. Gliding down on a high peak always gave me a sense of relaxation as well.

I would not have gotten any of that out of a short, linear, confined experience like that of Killzone or Call of Duty or Far Cry Instincts and others are even if the experience might have still been enjoyable for some.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of open world games I wish weren't open world as I feel it does nothing to help those games or would be far better suited for linear focus (L.A. Noire) or simple stage selection (Iron Man), and so the reasoning doesn't escape me for why you would want it in Far Cry 3.

Sendou

Hey, I do the same thing! 'cept I only organize games I haven't beaten by release year. I then have other folders for "100% completion" (all achievements), "Finished", and "Can't Finish/Multiplayer".

I should do that too honestly but maybe this will be cool in 2050 or something when my Steam collection is potentially rather epic.

Tellaerin

Don't worry? The games sit there on your storage, mocking you.
A well-stocked cupboard doesn't mock me for being full. It's always nice to know there's a good assortment of stuff to eat in the house, so I'm not going to go hungry or find myself craving something I have no easy way of getting at 3am.

Now we just need to convince supermarkets to start offering bundles... >.>

Backlogger

You know how you watch game promo videos and 99% of the time they actually turn you off the game, especially if they are infested with ear cancer inducing RAWK!!! music as some bundle sites choose to do?

I would look at 20 screenshots before I would watch a 10 second video. I don't like how a lot of the bundle sites only show you a video of the game.

would you guys like it if Valve held a Steam conference at E3?

wouldn't necessarily have to be similar to how MS, Sony, Ubi and EA do it (some of them are quite embarrassing)

I just don't like it how that event is so console focused

Zeknurn

wouldn't necessarily have to be similar to how MS, Sony, Ubi and EA do it (some of them are quite embarrassing)

I'd rather see The International expand into a SteamCon where every dev on Steam may attend and show their games.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Marlow Briggs and thought it was a damn great ol time. Certainly worth a summer sale price at least. Big surprise.

Yaiba was ok in the end, I don't think it deserved the crucifying it got but I felt the last few levels weren't an entertaining as the first 3 - 4 missions. Still I got my £15s worth of fun out of it and don't regret it at all.

Playing those 2 also put me in the mood to play Deadpool but then I realised I don't actually have it. Doh. Wish I had picked it up cheap now at xmas. Not exactly going cheap these days. Oh well.

Am I the only one struggling to buy Payday on Steam right now? Checkout is giving me an error. Want to buy it before the sale ends (which I assume is the same time as the free weekend does).

Anteater

can't say I care, I only care about new games being announced there

hohoXD123

Sure, as long as there aren't any terrible rappers performing.

MRORANGE

I said I would make this when I had time and here you go:

What is this thread about?
A reference list of all relevant PC threads and communities that are active on GAF

How do I contribute?
You can submit or update a PC thread by posting it here (avoid gaming OT's, mod threads for a particular game are okay).

LIST OF THREADS

PC Hardware & Overclocking
I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1
Race Your PC Thread2 of Voiding Warranties
Lez talk mechanical keyboards
Official Headphone Thread

Mods and Enhancements
Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)
Downsampling, a simple method for making your pc-games look better.
GTA4 + iCEnhancer mod. Holy mother of god.
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News
Crysis mods/tweaks to make the game look maximum eyecandy

Screenshots and User Content
2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread
The NeoGAF Screenshotter's Compendium Thread
2013 PC Bullshot thread
2014 Game GIF Thread

Emulation
Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games
PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

Steam
STEAM Announcements & Updates
Steam Trading |OT|
Steam Greenlight
Custom Steam icons for Grid View
Enhanced Steam Discussion Thread - Ideas, Suggestions, and Feedback
Steam Trading Cards
SteamOS
Steam Family Sharing Thread
GAF Steamgifts Group Invite Thread
GAF Steam ID list, post em!
Steam In-home Streaming Beta
Steam Universe (beta) videos, impressions

Other Digital Download Services
GOG News and Updates 2014
Green Man Gaming Thread
Origin Thread

Development Scene
Oculus Rift - Dev Kit Discussion
Indie Game Development Discussion Thread
GAF Learns - Unity [Game Engine]

Misc*
Giving Away Steam Keys with ModBot
Indie Bundle Thread
PC Racing Sims
Official DD (Steam/D2D/etc) gifting thread of equal global distribution

If I've missed anything, just put a link in that thread and tell me what section it should go in.

louiedog

Am I the only one struggling to buy Payday on Steam right now? Checkout is giving me an error. Want to buy it before the sale ends (which I assume is the same time as the free weekend does).

A friend I've been chatting with on Steam has also been struggling to get through checkout today, but with a different game.

Tizoc

Made it to Mission 5 today in Yaiba, gonna finish up til Lvl. 6 or 7 tomorrow then start a Normal playthrough for cleanup.

So far it's OK. THe platforming segments aren't that bad once you figure them out. I think they're OK, but don't really feel like they were needed in this game.

The_Monk

Just finished watching the Free to Play documentary.

I saw it just for curiosity sake as I don't play Dota but it was interesting to see how different cultures have different expectations from this as a job. I felt a bit sad for the boy from Ukraine because they had some financial troubles but it always warms my heart when people manage to face their worst times with a smile. It certainly is not easy...

---

Also MRORANGE, if you are reading this thank your for your effort in putting that fine list. From it, those Emulations threads could be a dangerous place as I never had a Wii and I miss some PS2 titles. Would love to buy some older games for nostalgia while discovering other missed gems but for now my lack of time plus my Backlog are keeping me busy. :)

Made it to Mission 5 today in Yaiba, gonna finish up til Lvl. 6 or 7 tomorrow then start a Normal playthrough for cleanup.

So far it's OK. THe platforming segments aren't that bad once you figure them out. I think they're OK, but don't really feel like they were needed in this game.

A normal playthrough?
Normal as in "not achievement hunting" or as in "I was playing on easy"?

So yeah, in the end [*] the PC version of Dark Souls 2 will be a port of the console version with "some obvious improvements".

Was expecting this but holy shit at Scamco and From.

*(Still not confirmed but heavily pointing towards that now.)

Wow. Holy shit.
So much for "PC is the lead platform this time.".

--

Is MK Arcade Kollection GFWL?
Shit, apparently it is. I wonder what the fate of it will be come June. :\

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
A normal playthrough?
Normal as in "not achievement hunting" or as in "I was playing on easy"?

I assume he's playing on Easy. I played on Hard up until level 5 or so and thought the encounter design was absolute bullshit and just unfair rather than challenging. Maybe I'm just being a bad player but putting it down to easy actually made it more fun to actually play.

Garcia

Wow. Holy shit.
So much for "PC is the lead platform this time.".

It was all lies from the beginning. That amazing demo was nothing buy a hype-building artifact and the "PC leads this time" statement was false as well.

Good job FROM, welcome to the big leagues!
(P.S: F' you. )

I assume he's playing on Easy. I played on Hard up until level 5 or so and thought the encounter design was absolute bullshit and just unfair rather than challenging. Maybe I'm just being a bad player but putting it down to easy actually made it more fun to actually play.

I'm on Hard midway through chapter 4. I like a challenge though and this game is no joke with no upgrades on hard. But I remember the MGR:R fiasco where hard was the new "normal" because there was very hard and the like... after that, I'm hesitant to start a game on normal (and only use chapter select with easy to do achievement cleanup if necessary).

It was all lies from the beginning. That amazing demo was nothing buy a hype-building artifact and the "PC leads this time" statement was false as well.

Good job FROM, welcome to the big leagues!
(P.S: Fuck you. )

Yeah, that's some grade A bullshit right there.

MRORANGE

Also MRORANGE, if you are reading this thank your for your effort in putting that fine list. From it, those Emulations threads could be a dangerous place as I never had a Wii and I miss some PS2 titles. Would love to buy some older games for nostalgia while discovering other missed gems but for now my lack of time plus my Backlog are keeping me busy. :)

Thanks, Emulation should be fine as long as you have the retail copies of the game and you are not posting sites on where to obtain Roms.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Sorry for spamming but it's the last time I post this.

I need 2 more people to split a Payday 2 4-pack with. If you're interested pm me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom