• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

Just unplug your controller and it will default to the mouse. They told me on Twitter that they didn't expect the 360 pad to be quite so popular so they are looking into patching it so you can choose your input method in the future. Still no word on whether or not they'll try and make the campaign map not suck.
I actually play on a fight stick because it's easier on my fingers and I can alternate between the various fingers on both hands, and it looks like a 360 to Windows. I can't imagine playing on an actual 360 pad. Would you use the slow ass triggers. Would you constantly move your right thumb back and forth.

Nabs

I actually play on a fight stick because it's easier on my fingers and I can alternate between the various fingers on both hands, and it looks like a 360 to Windows. I can't imagine playing on an actual 360 pad. Would you use the slow ass triggers. Would you constantly move your right thumb back and forth.

I play with the controller on my desk (X/B). I should probably set up my stick.

Will this do?

+

It defaults to X for left and B for right and I'm pretty sure there's no option to remap. Mouse is the way to go.

Ok, just wanted to say -- I hate games that teach you how to play using loading screen tips. Read about five words in, then blam, "hey I wasn't done reading that yet!". Games that are made by console devs seem to be particularly plagued by this phenomenon.

Yeah that is pretty annoying.

You know what is worse though? Games that use the loading screens to make little jokes about what they are loading. "Initialising Zombie Brain Eaters", "Forcing little children to cry", "Loading Skyrim"

Reticulating Splines was like 15 years ago. It was cute then, but it has been done.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This has been a hilarious FWP for a lot of PC gamers.
ScDFx6Z.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is Football manger any good or there is better game out there?

As far as I'm aware Football Manager is considered top dog. 2014 has a demo but I'm not sure what if offers exactly, and as far as the full games are concerned Sega yanks the previous year's release when it's superseded but 2009 and onwards register on Steam, so you could chase down cheap physical copies or, if you so desire, resold keys.

Volimar

As far as I'm aware Football Manager is considered top dog. 2014 has a demo but I'm not sure what if offers exactly, and as far as the full games are concerned Sega yanks the previous year's release when it's superseded but 2009 and onwards register on Steam, so you could chase down cheap physical copies or, if you so desire, resold keys.

Gorgeous avatar. Hold on to that one!

I just watched it as well. I've had a passing interest in Dota2, but the amount of time to get good at it has always put me off. I guess I'll stick to my single-player Starcraft II campaigns.

First off, you have to start ignoring "good" and accept "always improving". You will never be "good" at dota.

Some people are better than others, but very very few are actually good.

Think of it more like a big journey instead of a destination. After thousands of hours you will still be learning new stuff you didn't know.

TBH this applies to console games too, thanks Bink
It was really bad in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I'm not sure if they fixed it for The Director's Cut or not, but the pre-rendered cutscenes looked awful, everyone looked like they had spent about a week in grease, was weird.

Mortal Kombat 9 was also pretty bad with the cutscenes on PC, although you can just download the PS3's cutscenes and replace the normal files with those(Although the cutscenes are 14GBs large, so it can be a pain to download if you're like me and live in Australia)

So it finally happened. Was going to trade for Arma 2, checked my library, turns out I already had it from the Humble Bundle. Totally forgot I had the game

So I can run Arma 2 relatively well, should I be able to run the DayZ standalone ok?

JaseC

So it finally happened. Was going to trade for Arma 2, checked my library, turns out I already had the game from the Humble Bundle. Totally forgot I had the game

So I can run Arma 2 relatively well, should I be able to run the DayZ standalone ok?

Yeah, you should be fine. DayZ uses a modified version of the Take on Helicopters branch of the ARMA 2 engine (that's a bit of a mouthful).

Yeah, you should be fine. DayZ uses a modified version of the Take on Helicopters branch of the ARMA 2 engine (that's a bit of a mouthful).
Awesome. I'm not that knowledgable about specs and graphics cards so I was hesitant to drop $30 on DayZ if I couldn't even run it. But yeah Arma 2 performs well for me.

Do you know if any of the B/S/T guys are selling DayZ for cheaper? Guess I should ask there

Grief.exe

It was really bad in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I'm not sure if they fixed it for The Director's Cut or not, but the pre-rendered cutscenes looked awful, everyone looked like they had spent about a week in grease, was weird.

Mortal Kombat 9 was also pretty bad with the cutscenes on PC, although you can just download the PS3's cutscenes and replace the normal files with those(Although the cutscenes are 14GBs large, so it can be a pain to download if you're like me and live in Australia)

Going from downsamplimg the game to a compressed cut scene in Deus Ex is jarring to say the least.

The new RE4 port there is one cut scene in the main game that is pre-rendered and it looks horrible. Upscaled from ~480p.

Playing the DC right now, and they have not. And it definitely sucks.

JaseC

Awesome. I'm not that knowledgable about specs and graphics cards so I was hesitant to drop $30 on DayZ if I couldn't even run it. But yeah Arma 2 performs well for me.

Do you know if any of the B/S/T guys are selling DayZ for cheaper? Guess I should ask there

The game is cheaper in Russia but only barely (~$27.50 versus $30; after factoring in a profit margin you'd be looking at $28.50 at the least).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
probably old but Last Knight keys added to bemine X via desura, always nice when keys are added even before the game is out

JaseC

The BattleBlock Theatre beta has been delayed slightly:

As a courtesy to our chosen Beta Testers - that's you! - we wanted to email everyone on this list first before doing a post on our blog.

Our tentative start dates were originally March 24th to March 31st, but those dates were hinged upon how solid our Beta build would be by these dates. We don't want to put anyone into a game world that collapses right as you enter the theater! Now, it's definitely not at that extreme level, but we are trying to minimize some areas of concern and implement a few more items before we can start the Beta.

So the Beta is going to be moved to a later date closer to April (cross our fingers). If you are still receiving these emails then that means you'll still be getting a Beta Key as soon as it starts. We will be keeping you updated with news and answers to your questions through these e-newsletters.

Deques

Nuuvem has Castlevania Mirror of Fate HD pre-order for 27,99($12.05)

Cheaper at Amazon - $9.99
Pre-ordering from Amazon will also give you $5 credit towards to the next purchase

So, the original OutRun is the next Sega 3D Classics game for Nintendo's e-Shop or whatever it's called. Obviously this means that Sega has reacquired the Ferrari licence and so OutRun 2006 will soon be back on Steam.

I will buy this as soon as this is available again!

JaseC

Jase I like your optimisim, but you're kinda reaching here =P
I still want Outrun 2006 back on Steam though

The dots practically connect themselves! OutRun on Nintendo systems -> OutRun 2006 back on Steam -> Saoirse Ronan wins an Oscar -> World peace.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Quick questions
1- When will their next game bundle start?
2- I'm saddened there was no bonus for them reaching 10,000 sales =/

I've got no idea when the next one begins, but I really hope it has more RPGmaker games. I really need to get around to playing Skyborn.

oipic

Is Football manager any good or there is better game out there?

As far as I'm aware Football Manager is considered top dog.

Jase speaks the truth. There are imitators, and those that tried to do things with a little more glitz and glam (EA, that's you: FIFA Manager won't be missed), but none come close to Football Manager. It is unrivalled in its match simulation, and no other game is as immersive - its modelling of the football world is detailed and complex (and it often takes a patch or two each year to sort out its bugs), but that feeling of involvement and influence (and suffering!) you have inside the giant, living, breathing world of football is unmatched.

If you're a football fanatic, and if management/spreadsheet sims are for you, then this will scratch that itch (and potentially chew dozens/hundreds of hours of your life). Study, work, and relationships may all suffer, however.

* Disclaimer: I may be a little biased, as I used to work with the FM data research team, and was up to my neck in beta testing for several years (my name was in the credits!), but I can vouch for the Sports Interactive guys - they're legit, work really hard on their game, involve themselves with their community (and intently listen to their feedback)... and they LOVE their football. Their game shows all that, I think - it's great.

Aerocrane

JaseC

Maybe they're gauging interest for a new OutRun game
exclusively on the 3DS.

The next entry could be exclusive to the Virtual Boy for all I care. ;) Unless OutRun's Ferrari Testarossa has been replaced with something else then a re-release wouldn't be possible without the Ferrari licence. If Sega has gone to the effort of re-obtaining the licence to re-release OutRun then there's nothing preventing 2006 from returning to Steam.

JaseC

but who's that person in jasec's avatar?

I wish I knew. It's been bugging me for over two-and-a-half years.

Edit: If anybody here is cursing the removal of Bulletstorm, this bloke is offering a copy for a copy of The Wolf Among Us, which you can get for 7 keys (approximately $15.40 at current prices).

Kaleinc

Banned
Ok, just wanted to say -- I hate games that teach you how to play using loading screen tips. Read about five words in, then blam, "hey I wasn't done reading that yet!". Games that are made by console devs seem to be particularly plagued by this phenomenon.
So true. 'To customize cha..'

Aerocrane

The next entry could be exclusive to the Virtual Boy for all I care. ;) Unless OutRun's Ferrari Testarossa has been replaced with something else then a re-release wouldn't be possible without the Ferrari licence. If Sega has gone to the effort of re-obtaining the licence to re-release OutRun then there's nothing preventing 2006 from returning to Steam.

This is assuming that they acquired a blanket license for all of Ferrari's standard road cars. I would like to see OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast back on Steam, but I'm assuming SEGA licensed only the Testarossa as it is the only Ferrari car featured in the original Out Run. I'd love to be proven wrong on this though.

JaseC

Is that the new general prosecutor for Crimea?

Crimea? Isn't that where King K. Rool hides out in DKC 3?

This is assuming that they acquired a blanket license for all of Ferrari's standard road cars. I would like to see OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast back on Steam, but I'm assuming SEGA licensed only the Testarossa as it is the only Ferrari car featured in the original Out Run. I'd love to be proven wrong on this though.

Yeah, that's a good point. I'm not familiar with how car manufacturer licensing generally works so I can't say with any certainty that the asking price doesn't rise alongside the number of vehicles one would like to use.

Aerocrane

Yeah, that's a good point. I'm not familiar with how car manufacturer licensing generally works so I can't say with any certainty that the asking price doesn't rise alongside the number of vehicles one would like to use.
All of this is based on internet speculation:
Porsche license is locked up with EA till hell freezes over, but the Ferrari license was held by Atari. I think Atari dumped the license after closing down Eden Games, since the license would be useless if they don't have a team working on new racing games. Microsoft picked up the license for exclusivity on Xbox and PC (hence Ferraris can be in Gran Turismo on the PlayStation). If the license is really locked up per platform, SEGA would have to work with Microsoft to get Out Run 2006 Coast 2 Coast back on Steam.

Here's an unsourced quote
“Forza had the exclusive license for all Ferrari cars, for example, on the Xbox and PC platforms. But at the end of the day, we’ve always found that we just weren’t willing to block other racing games from having Ferraris outright, as we believed that this would do nothing but hurt the racing ecosystem.”- Dan Greenwalt

JaseC

All of this is based on internet speculation:
Porsche license is locked up with EA till hell freezes over, but the Ferrari license was held by Atari. I think Atari dumped the license after closing down Eden Games, since the license would be useless if they don't have a team working on new racing games. Microsoft picked up the license for exclusivity on Xbox and PC (hence Ferraris can be in Gran Turismo on the PlayStation). If the license is really locked up per platform, SEGA would have to work with Microsoft to get Out Run 2006 Coast 2 Coast back on Steam.

Here's an unsourced quote

I hate how licensing is handled in most cases. It's so archaic and backwards.

Jawmuncher

So I was wondering is there anyway to have a PC hooked up to both a TV and a Monitor? I think that my graphic card on the back of my PC has 2 HDMI ports.
What exactly would happen if one HDMI was going to a TV and the other a monitor? Wouldn't that affect performance on more intensive games? I ask because I would love to have a setup that utilizes that over always having to undo the HDMI cord from the monitor when I get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom