• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milamber

So I was wondering is there anyway to have a PC hooked up to both a TV and a Monitor? I think that my graphic card on the back of my PC has 2 HDMI ports.
What exactly would happen if one HDMI was going to a TV and the other a monitor? Wouldn't that affect performance on more intensive games? I ask because I would love to have a setup that utilizes that over always having to undo the HDMI cord from the monitor when I get back.

You can choose between 'Extend these displays' and 'Duplicate these displays'. Under that, you can set which is the main monitor.
If you do extend these displays, depending on the game and your resolution settings, you may stretch to both, mirror the same on each or it just shows on one while the desktop on the other depending which is main monitor.
A bigger desktop would definitely give a performance hit in big games as they have to render more to show on a wider screen, if you do go with stretching the game to fit both displays.

Anteater

So I was wondering is there anyway to have a PC hooked up to both a TV and a Monitor? I think that my graphic card on the back of my PC has 2 HDMI ports.
What exactly would happen if one HDMI was going to a TV and the other a monitor? Wouldn't that affect performance on more intensive games? I ask because I would love to have a setup that utilizes that over always having to undo the HDMI cord from the monitor when I get back.

GPUs usually allow multiple monitors so if you plug it into your tv and a secondary display you should have 2 displays that extend into each other, you could either use the secondary display as an extended display or you could use it as a mirrored display, etc. Win+P should let you quick switch if you're using windows 7, or you can disable either one if you don't want to suffer performance loss. Control panel should let you choose which one is primary/secondary.

1V6PGAA.jpg

Copons

Ok, just wanted to say -- I hate games that teach you how to play using loading screen tips. Read about five words in, then blam, "hey I wasn't done reading that yet!". Games that are made by console devs seem to be particularly plagued by this phenomenon.

Latest culprit -- Joe Danger: The Movie. I have no idea what the heck I'm doing (there wasn't a tutorial). I did notice that Stump has some obscenely high scores on the leaderboard, so I should probably bother him about how to play sometime. I guess it's like Tony Hawk, as far as chaining tricks togther, and building multiplier? I just don't know what a "trick" is.

Dishonored too, FFS.
It loads telling you intriguing insights on how to sneaky beat that one difficult enemy and in less than 2 seconds it switches to the mission briefing (always available in the mofo inventory). :'(

Will this do?

+

Oh god, does that thing works flawlessly and is there a way to get games to recognize it as an X360 controller?
I loved the GC pad, I really loved it, and while it isn't for everything, that analog, oooh that analog, was the only one I have had max precision in all my life.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Are you sure it isn't 'The Plan'? All you do is hold the up arrow key for a few minutes.
Not for me. I finished it and it froze when I clicked on the credits button, therefore preventing me from getting the achievement.

I uninstalled it immediately, because the prospect of putting myself again through 5 of the most boring minutes of my life was unappealing.

* Disclaimer: I may be a little biased, as I used to work with the FM data research team, and was up to my neck in beta testing for several years (my name was in the credits!), but I can vouch for the Sports Interactive guys - they're legit, work really hard on their game, involve themselves with their community (and intently listen to their feedback)... and they LOVE their football. Their game shows all that, I think - it's great.

Wow, that's seriously impressive! :)

I've had many hours of enjoyment from the series over the last few years, so I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you and everybody else who has contributed to it. :)

Milamber

Oh god, does that thing works flawlessly and is there a way to get games to recognize it as an X360 controller?
I loved the GC pad, I really loved it, and while it isn't for everything, that analog, oooh that analog, was the only one I have had max precision in all my life.

Xpadder will solve your problems. You can map keyboard keys to anything.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ya know, I didn't really know what to make of this obsession with this Sairoaasosoiisoe chick in here, but I saw Grand Budapest Hotel yesterday and she was definitely really cute in it.

GBH brought some new faces to the appreciation thread the other day. It warmed my heart. ;)

Around the same time as Anno no doubt.

Anno was coming! I mean, it still is! Even though Ubi hasn't updated any of the four apps in a month.

So.... apparently Escape Goat 2 just got released because I noticed an update and the game appears to be completed. There doesn't seem to be a steam page yet, so might still need to get a key through the dev's website/humble thingy. http://www.escapegoat2.com/

Oh and it seems amazing. Just more of the same at this stage, but it is all being done at a much higher level. Can't wait to see how it develops from here:

Arthea

Southern Europe groupees bundle probably is the worst groupees bundle I ever bought. I should have skipped it entirely.
Nothing in this bundle interests me in the slightest (><)
Well, I may play Hidden Runaway...

edited: MRORANGE, thanks for compiling that PC thread list, it can prove to be very useful.

Knurek

Southern Europe groupees bundle probably is the worst groupees bundle I ever bought. I should have skipped it entirely.
Nothing in this bundle interests me in the slightest (><)
Well, I may play Hidden Runaway...

I thought Box Out looked okay-ish in the video, haven't played anything yet.

Incidentally, after spending better part of two hours, I've managed to make Alice: Madness Returns work with my gamepad. Phew.
Game looks breathtaking, gameplay is so-so so far, but nothing bad. Anyone has thoughts on difficulty? Played an hour or so on Normal so far - I don't want the game to be too easy (playing BioShock on Easy was really boring), but if it has unfair difficulty spikes later on, I can still restart on Easy.

JaseC

How can i max my profits from a foil card? Is there off-steam trading for foils?

Earn it early and hope someone is impatient enough to buy it at a higher price, or if you've earned a foil that rarely sells, don't get into an undercutting war. If there only a few other foils on the market you could also try buying them up and selling the lot at a higher price, but doing so is a gamble that rarely pays off.

Jawmuncher

You can choose between 'Extend these displays' and 'Duplicate these displays'. Under that, you can set which is the main monitor.
If you do extend these displays, depending on the game and your resolution settings, you may stretch to both, mirror the same on each or it just shows on one while the desktop on the other depending which is main monitor.
A bigger desktop would definitely give a performance hit in big games as they have to render more to show on a wider screen, if you do go with stretching the game to fit both displays.

GPUs usually allow multiple monitors so if you plug it into your tv and a secondary display you should have 2 displays that extend into each other, you could either use the secondary display as an extended display or you could use it as a mirrored display, etc. Win+P should let you quick switch if you're using windows 7, or you can disable either one if you don't want to suffer performance loss. Control panel should let you choose which one is primary/secondary.

1V6PGAA.jpg

Thanks for the helo you two. Have these posts bookmarked for when i'm back.
Think i'll go with just switching between the two displays from the PC itself. Since thats basically what I want to do anyway. Console like games on the TV more PC oriented stuff on the monitor.

Jawmuncher

Earn it early and hope someone is impatient enough to buy it at a higher price, or if you've earned a foil that rarely sells, don't get into an undercutting war. If there only a few other foils on the market you could also try buying them up and selling the lot at a higher price, but doing so is a gamble that rarely pays off.

I always undercut because I am an impatient fool.
But I just can't stand to sit on a foil for a few more cents.
I'm not sorry for the double post

I always undercut because I am an impatient fool.
But I just can't stand to sit on a foil for a few more cents.
I'm not sorry for the double post
Same here, whenever I don't undercut they never end up selling and then when I remember I was trying to sell it the price for it has dropped 30-50c, so I just take what I can get and leave.

Thanks for the helo you two. Have these posts bookmarked for when i'm back.
Think i'll go with just switching between the two displays from the PC itself. Since thats basically what I want to do anyway. Console like games on the TV more PC oriented stuff on the monitor.

I've been doing this recently, and it is awesome.
Playing games that are split-screen like Resident Evil 6 or Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed are much more enjoyable on a big screen than my monitor.

Jawmuncher

Same here, whenever I don't undercut they never end up selling and then when I remember I was trying to sell it the price for it has dropped 30-50c, so I just take what I can get and leave.

I've been doing this recently, and it is awesome.
Playing games that are split-screen like Resident Evil 6 or Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed are much more enjoyable on a big screen than my monitor.

Yep it's just easier to sell the foil ASAP than sit on it and end up getting something that isn't going to sell anyway. Nothing worse than a game hitting Humble Bundle and you were waiting on a foil from it to sale. Since that price is all but gone now.

That's one of the main reason I asking about it. Since I have similar plans for RE6, as well as other titles like The Yawhg and such.

Arthea

it seem that release of the first Trails game is not happening this month either, some engine related problems, as far as I can understand. I hope April isn't out of the question still, but it's just that, hope.
then again I might finish FFX HD until it's release, so maybe it's not all bad, but waiting becomes longer and longer, unfortunately

derExperte

This is assuming that they acquired a blanket license for all of Ferrari's standard road cars. I would like to see OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast back on Steam, but I'm assuming SEGA licensed only the Testarossa as it is the only Ferrari car featured in the original Out Run. I'd love to be proven wrong on this though.

They also could just not mention Ferrari, remove the logos and slightly change the car.

Deques

Looks like Prime Worlds is suffering from the infamous achievement not being unlocked glitch. The Steam forums have no solution and the guide in the community pages suggest a time consuming solution.
Does anyone here know a better solution?

Arthea

Looks like Prime Worlds is suffering from the infamous achievement not being unlocked glitch. The Steam forums have no solution and the guide in the community pages suggest a time consuming solution.

This reminds me that Last Dream suffers from it too

Deques

New IndieGala bundle

Seems like they are going to have a new bundle every Monday

Blindside (DESURA)
Major Mayhem (STEAM)
Go! Go! Nippong ~My First Trip To Japan~ (STEAM)
Shattered Heaven (STEAM)
Vanguard Princess (STEAM)
Party Of Sin (STEAM)

Knurek

SAM doesn't work with the game?

New Indiegala:

Blindside (DESURA)
Major Mayhem (STEAM)
Shattered Heaven (STEAM)
Party Of Sin (STEAM)

Only $1.89 for the first 24 hours.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
nice indiegala bundle and it seems its a new thing too, new bundle every monday

edit: also dawn of fantasy was added to the doorways bundle

Arthea

New IndieGala bundle

Seems like they are going to have a new bundle every Monday

Blindside (DESURA)
Major Mayhem (STEAM)
Shattered Heaven (STEAM)
Party Of Sin (STEAM)

duh, I have all games, except for Go Go. Oh well, bought regardless

and it's about time I made this announcement again: I'm doing to do my giveaway at my favourite day of the year, 1st of April. Please, be excited!

the joke is not in this part! the giveaway is real! and it's my biggest my giveaway so far.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
stuff

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars -- MB-0518B1819D9BE8EE - Taken by Madridista. 2 entrants total.
Party of Sin -- MB-57DE6D46890AE9BB - Taken by Darth Kupi. 5 entrants total.
Shattered Haven -- MB-EE0F3710F38509A6 - Taken by topyy. 5 entrants total.

t1395665792z1.png

Parsnip

Mirror of Fate HD, does it have region locks that affect Europe? I mean, it won't matter if I grab it from nuveem or amazon, right?

Incidentally, after spending better part of two hours, I've managed to make Alice: Madness Returns work with my gamepad. Phew.
Game looks breathtaking, gameplay is so-so so far, but nothing bad. Anyone has thoughts on difficulty? Played an hour or so on Normal so far - I don't want the game to be too easy (playing BioShock on Easy was really boring), but if it has unfair difficulty spikes later on, I can still restart on Easy.
The levels on Alice 2 are like one thirds too long, so I ended up playing on easy just so the so-so combat wouldn't start getting on my nerves too much.

Jawmuncher

New Indiegala:

Blindside (DESURA)
Major Mayhem (STEAM)
Shattered Heaven (STEAM)
Party Of Sin (STEAM)

Only $1.89 for the first 24 hours.

Worth it for those 2 games alone.
Go Go Nippon is a nice little introductory VN and has some interesting japanese trivia as well in it. Vanguard Princess is a OK fighting game but the card drops are worth something. Can probably cover the bundle and some more with the drops.

duh, I have all games, except for Go Go. Oh well, bought regardless

and it's about time I made this announcement again: I'm doing to do my giveaway at my favourite day of the year, 1st of April. Please, be excited!

the joke is not in this part! the giveaway is real! and it's my biggest my giveaway so far.

That's a strange way to announce a Bad Rats giveaway.

JaseC

Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 15 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Party of Sin #2 -- MB-6938F59FB9C0EAA4 - Taken by Kuroyume
Gunman Clive -- MB-00A6473B1ADA60F7 - Taken by jonno394
NPDD Rush -- MB-D5916F2DB167EC0D - Taken by PandaPedinte
Shattered Haven #2 -- MB-EBD22278E0F2982A - Taken by Evrain
Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars -- MB-BA3FDE873B8699CC - Taken by Vandrar
Party of Sin -- MB-A638DE2FB6DE0BE8 - Taken by Knurek
Vanguard Princess -- MB-CF9E7B37D887697A - Taken by spindoctor
Shattered Haven -- MB-0D63FC9C388E2D3B - Taken by Dambrosi
Go Go Nippon! My First Trip to Japan #2 -- MB-90AD0869A38C587C - Taken by Volcynika
Major Mayhem -- MB-5ADCD3FFBC528F18 - Taken by Madridista
Go Go Nippon! My First Trip to Japan -- MB-5B6F123BA766C2F0 - Taken by Anteater
Major Mayhem #2 -- MB-F2FD18848595C3FA - Taken by tylergregg
Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars #2 -- MB-2AC4D3DA37D9B9D0 - Taken by zeroOman
Vanguard Princess #2 -- MB-EE2DC19F7F470761 - Taken by bobnowhere
Driftmoon -- MB-4527F1F0EA427304 - Taken by Mugatu

Go Go Nippon is a pretty great travel guide to Japan. If you are at all interested in the country's culture, history, customs, technological advancements etc. you will enjoy it. It's about 3 hours long. Lots of reading, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom