• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serrato

It's been like that for a while now.

Yes... but do we know why? Did Valve say something? I mean in 1h I was disconnected 2 times. It almost never happened in my 6 years with steam in all of a sudden it starts happening randomly every day. While I don't care when I play a single player game/offline, but when I play multiplayer it gets on my nerve just a little.

MRORANGE

just in case there's a newer method I dont know about: how much of a hassle would it be to move Steam itself to my SSD but leave all installed games where they currently are? (mainly the HDD in which steam is installed right now)

I would honestly start from scratch if you are going that route, it's easier to move games out than to change location of the Steam.exe and then verify each game.

See if these help (a bit old):

http://www.stefanjones.ca/steam/
http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Party Of Sin [Steam] -- MB-CE7AEFDC38C418EB - Taken by jmizzal

Salsa

it's just that steam has been slow loading up grid view and big picture, it's starting to annoy me

not entirely sure if moving to an SSD would give steam itself any speed boost, but it feels crazy slow at boot

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Did you even read where my post originated from? I'm not talking about buying the game. I'm fine with early access. I'm on about them charging more for alpha access ONTOP of the base price, which means you are paying to alpha test. I feel like you're arguing a straw-man argument here.
"I really hate this idea of charging people for Alpha access in general. So we should pay to test your game now...? >.>

I got the normal founders edition of it which was $40 but that only included beta access and onwards from what I remember."

Nowhere in your post does it say you only disagree with the asking price, but not with the concept of Early Access. And the post you quoted only says the devs are going to be criticized by asking $100 for the game, but doesn't talk about it being more expensive than the final product. So there's no way I can be able to guess what's on your mind from what you wrote in your posts.

And still, I don't see anything wrong with it. The devs would rather people complain about the excessive price than the fact that their unfinished game may be broken or not completely functional. That way people who decide to buy it anyway know what they are getting into, because less ignorant fools are going to fork over that much cash. Besides, buying it when it's in alpha state means you get to play it much earlier than most other people, so that has to be worth more.

Wow. People weren't kidding about the difficulty spike in Yaiba when you hit chapter 5.
I got there on hard with no upgrades.
And then I couldn't get beyond the second part of the fight... I'd get the boss down to about... 60% health at best, but not enough to trigger the next phase and checkpoint.
So I went back and collected the few collectibles I missed and did achievement cleanup on normal. And I got back to the same boss fight, had trouble with the first section for some reason, got to the 2nd section, and proceeded to get smoked again.

Damn.
Feels bad, man.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I decided to pick of Nights into dreams from the weeklong deals. One of those games that people always talk about fondly but I knew literally nothing about it going in.

What. the. fuck. is going. on?

So uh I start off as a little boy in some kind of fever dream fantasy land with weird shit flying around me all over the place. I follow the big arrow to some kind of golden gazebo, which when I walk into it turns me into some kind of flying... jester... guy?

So I start flying around through rings... and stuff is fucking zipping around me and shits pinging and dinging and numbers are shooting all over, I have no fucking idea what the shit any of this means. So I keep flying about until the clock runs down, wherein I turn into the little boy again and some kind of UFO alarm clock starts chasing me around... what... I just... ok.

So I find the gazebo and turn into the jester guy again and continue to fly around utterly aimlessly until I fly into some kind of floating... snowglobe... I guess... it's got like tentacles on the bottom of it or something... fuck if I know. Anyways I fly into this thing and it explodes and I get an 'F' rank. I'm assuming F stands for 'what the fuck'.

So yea I continue to fly around blowing up snowglobes until I guess the level ends. Now I'm in some kind of crazy bed room and some giant fat floating jester woman is bouncing around the room... what? I just, my brain is really not handling this well...

So I fly into this woman(?) and my dude latches onto her tits... and I spin her around and drop kick her through the wall... uh wow that's kind harsh there jester man. I repeat this process drop kicking her through like a half dozen rooms until like... some shelves or something fall on her? I dunno, but apparently I won this deadly duel of tit fondling drop kicking and got another majestic 'F' grade...

So yea... I kinda dig it!

TL;DR:

8qLWuBt.jpg

MRORANGE

it's just that steam has been slow loading up grid view and big picture, it's starting to annoy me

not entirely sure if moving to an SSD would give steam itself any speed boost, but it feels crazy slow at boot

The slow grid view could be the slow built-in-browser? jschackles might be able to give a better answer for this.

Not sure what the problem is for BPM.

Zafir

"I really hate this idea of charging people for Alpha access in general. So we should pay to test your game now...? >.>

I got the normal founders edition of it which was $40 but that only included beta access and onwards from what I remember."

Nowhere in your post does it say you only disagree with the asking price, but not with the concept of Early Access. And the post you quoted only says the devs are going to be criticized by asking $100 for the game, but doesn't talk about it being more expensive than the final product. So there's no way I can be able to guess what's on your mind from what you wrote in your posts.

And still, I don't see anything wrong with it. The devs would rather people complain about the excessive price than the fact that their unfinished game may be broken or not completely functional. That way people who decide to buy it anyway know what they are getting into, because less ignorant fools are going to fork over that much cash. Besides, buying it when it's in alpha state means you get to play it much earlier than most other people, so that has to be worth more.
Well, I specifically said charging for alpha, that doesn't equal early access. Further more, the second line which you quoted says the normal edition is cheaper?

I'll admit GalCiv3 is a poor example because you do at least get bonuses, which I didn't realise till after I posted. A better example is something like Elite, which was charging like £200 for alpha access, and I think that's a bit ludicrous.

Either way, we probably aren't going to agree on it and that's fine, opinions and all that. Only reason I responded so strongly to you was because you seemed to jump at me, I'm assuming because there has been a lot of unfair backlash regarding Steam Early Access.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Whoa the iOS Steam app was updated with iOS 7 keyboard and UI elements, by now I thought they wouldn't bother. Changelog:

- Updated to use iOS 7 native UI elements
- Individual chats can be cleared
- Steam Inventory support
- Ukrainian language support

Turfster

New Groupees bundle coming in 6 hours and 30 minutes
Groupees Simulation bundle!
Price: 1$ minimum
  • Hunter Trophy 2
  • Police Force
  • Ski Park Tycoon
  • Woodcutter Simulator 2013
  • Bridge It Plus
  • Farming Giants

Echoplx

Whoa the iOS Steam app was updated with iOS 7 keyboard and UI elements, by now I thought they wouldn't bother. Changelog:

Android version hasn't been updated in 2 years, funny considering how much they are trying to push Linux.

I wish they paid half as much attention to the desktop client.

Grief.exe

Interesting comments by Thomas Was Alone developer Mike Bithell on the Steam Greenlight process and its effect on the market.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/213609/Pump_up_the_Volume_A_candid_chat_with_Mike_Bithell.php

Thomas Was Alone was out for a while and wasn't getting the greatest amount of traction. Then the PlayStation deal was revealed, and suddenly you had tons of press and players talking about you.

It's really interesting, the credibility consoles still have. I think because PC is "the open platform" and anyone can release a PC game, your average gamer who is not seeking out weird indie stuff - for them, me having a PC game coming out doesn't impress them.

"Discoverability is an issue, but it's not the issue. Being given the badge of honor by whoever is the person handing them out is actually crucial, and makes such a difference to how your game is perceived."

It's actually a badge of honor to those people. I know Thomas Was Alone gained an incredible amount of "mindspace," or whatever pretentious bullshit term a marketer would use, because it was out on console. And I saw a ridiculous sales boost just because, the second people saw it was coming to PlayStation, it became a "real game" for a lot of people.

What it demonstrates, and it's going be interesting to watch in the next few years - it demonstrates that curation is more powerful than getting people to see your game. Discoverability is an issue, but it's not the issue. Being given the badge of honor by whoever is the person handing them out is actually crucial, and makes such a difference to how your game is perceived.

Up until recently, Steam was the biggest deal if you got on it - but with Valve striving to be a more open platform, it feels like that's starting to fall away.

Exactly. Steam meant you were going to be sorted, as long as your game was quite small, you'd be sorted for a year or two, bare minimum.

I struggle to believe that Thomas Was Alone would have been successful were it to come out now on Steam. It was on the front page of Steam for a week. It was released right before that final moment where being on Steam meant Valve thought you made a great game. That used to be what that meant.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well, the client itself isn't too bad. It's more the store which needs more attention in my opinion. More sorting and filtering options would go a long way.

I agree. Working on it where and when I can though.

Tenrius

Yes... but do we know why? Did Valve say something? I mean in 1h I was disconnected 2 times. It almost never happened in my 6 years with steam in all of a sudden it starts happening randomly every day. While I don't care when I play a single player game/offline, but when I play multiplayer it gets on my nerve just a little.

No, I mean it began like half a year ago. A year or so ago, it was mostly fine, maybe a few hiccups during the big sale. Even since the last summer sale though, the downtime is quite frequent. It's probably due to the userbase growing rapidly, but I really can't tell whether it's a server issue or what. Valve never commented on that.

alstein

They are going to get so much crap for that $100 price tag if they are indeed putting it on early access and plan to sell it through steam during alpha. People can't be reasoned with, using simple arguments like "Well you don't have to buy the damn $100 alpha product" won't work at all when it comes to Steam community.

The $100 Alpha price tag is GalCiv3+ all future expansions/DLC, and they have 2 expansions budgeted out.

It's not a ripoff. It's for the folks who believe hard in the series , such as myself.

what you could do is move the steamapps folder out of the steam folder, Uninstall it, install on the SSD, create a new game directory on steam, and put the games there. worked here for me.

Lunaniem

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gunman Clive -- MB-5D68864819757268 - Taken by KenOD
Party of Sin -- MB-674B5AF4E34541AC - Taken by _hekk05
Shattered Haven -- MB-F10A92FE3089D419 - Taken by inm8num2

onionfrog

Hey SteamGAF. I've got some extras from the Indie Gala bundle that I don't want.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Major Mayhem -- MB-BC078D4A5E6DDD02 - Taken by FiveElementNinja
Go Go Nippon! My First Trip to Japan -- MB-4CB69FFFC0C634E3 - Taken by Gez
Party of Sin -- MB-1FDA60DA1FB17DA9 - Taken by bronson
ulgzbKC.png
Blindside(Desura Key) -- MB-ED0DD7971BED54F7 - Taken by VikasNarula
Shattered Haven -- MB-BDFC91F2B34014EA - Taken by TuckingFypo

_hekk05

Banned
Thanks for party of sin.

In the mean time, Valves tag recommendations aren't doing so well with me. I have F2P, Puzzle, MOBA, Indie, all of which I guess is either from Dota or the many indies I have, but hats? I don't even play tf2

Lunaniem

I was going through my Humble keys and found a lot more extra keys than I was expecting, enjoy. :)

ModBot said:
I am giving away 19 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

McPixel -- MB-B3E6FDF07B7E5C18 - Taken by Darth Kupi
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-98CCBE4F9530002A - Taken by DJSebolski
Brutal Legend -- MB-D88C3D0F1757C620 - Taken by jmizzal
Dead Space -- MB-FFEB2FC047394818 - Taken by onionfrog
Mark of the Ninja -- MB-1A4B5699A4C702BC - Taken by Subject16
Mirror's Edge -- MB-F69159432B02E88A - Taken by Garcia
A Virus Named TOM -- MB-098DC17BFF7B0DA9 - Taken by GaussTek
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition -- MB-C355A7B56E8D3927 - Taken by cardinalmind
Anodyne -- MB-F5A84BA2E0A4C892 - Taken by Serrato
FTL: Faster Than Light -- MB-339F5C181AB20C7E - Taken by adriano999
Bastion -- MB-DE10A6C2ECA45E8E - Taken by TuckingFypo
Eets Munchies -- MB-468F317E4524B6A2 - Taken by KenOD