• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

My luck must really have a field day, not only Wizorb is the controller only game, when I need my mouse and keyboard for all my bananoid games. It outright froze on me with controller and it controls horribly.
So inconsolably disappointed now :(

Arthea

I'm waiting for SteamGAF simulator. Where your in-game avatar sits in front of his/her computer all day, buying Steam games yet never playing them while reading/posting on NeoGAF. They can even add JaseC and Xelios as achievements.

your luck is great otoh, one is in the making
iVqwXwc6vh6LO.gif

oipic

I'm waiting for SteamGAF simulator. Where your in-game avatar sits in front of his/her computer all day, buying Steam games yet never playing them while reading/posting on NeoGAF. They can even add JaseC and Xelios as achievements.

Will fittingly wait for a 75%-off sale, or its inevitable arrival in a bundle (unless NeoGAF Gold is thrown in as a pre-order bonus).

Will be sorely tempted to collect the extensive set of Saoirse trading cards and the JaseC avatar Steam badge collection, however.

Whenever the avatar reaches beyond steam thread it is hammered by a perma.

your luck is great otoh, one is in the making
iVqwXwc6vh6LO.gif

Will fittingly wait for a 75%-off sale, or its inevitable arrival in a bundle (unless NeoGAF Gold is thrown in as a pre-order bonus).

Will be sorely tempted to collect the extensive set of Saoirse trading cards and the JaseC avatar Steam badge collection, however.

Well, the market exists. I'm waiting for one entrepreneurial user to put this on Kickstarter/IndieGoGo/Greenlight.

BHK3

Banned
How valid is this GMG $7 off titanfall coupon when it says it'll work ONLY for you? I've no plans on buying it and want someone else to have it.

amdnv

Would buy @ full price.

Garcia

Holy mother of what the fuck is wrong with you BAMCO? Why do you guys insist on releasing such extra limited Demos for your games? Jesus! >:-@

And to make things worse, you only allow people to play the hardest Championship mode of Pac-Man DX+ on the lowest speed! Are you out of your mind? People won't buy your games if you keep following this shitty pattern. You make us download the entire Museum's Demo yet we only have access to one of the games.

God-damn. /rant

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well guys, it's been two weeks since Enhanced Steam 5.9 was sent to Mozilla for review. Today - rejected. Once again, the file was rejected for reasons that are not new to this version of Enhanced Steam.

Firefox also completely disabled Session Storage access in extensions starting with Firefox 29, meaning significant portions of the code will need to be re-written to make a lot of the features work with that version and higher.

Re-writing these functions (in addition to taking a lot of time) will also introduce a lot of new reasons that Mozilla could potentially reject the code.

Meanwhile, I've had about 500 emails from Opera 12 users who are upset that Enhanced Steam no longer works (due to a change Valve made, not me).

In light of all of this, I am seriously considering making Enhanced Steam exclusive to Google Chrome.

schuey7

Well guys, it's been two weeks since Enhanced Steam 5.9 was sent to Mozilla for review. Today - rejected. Once again, the file was rejected for reasons that are not new to this version of Enhanced Steam.

Firefox also completely disabled Session Storage access in extensions starting with Firefox 29, meaning significant portions of the code will need to be re-written to make a lot of the features work with that version and higher.

Re-writing these functions (in addition to taking a lot of time) will also introduce a lot of new reasons that Mozilla could potentially reject the code.

Meanwhile, I've had about 500 emails from Opera 12 users who are upset that Enhanced Steam no longer works (due to a change Valve made, not me).

In light of all of this, I am seriously considering making Enhanced Steam exclusive to Google Chrome.

As a firefox user I would access Steam on Chrome just for enhanced steam and I think others would do the same.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

To be honest: About time. Firefox is the only decent alternative to Chrome, and I still don't see why people would use that, other than hating Google.

I use both Firefox and Chrome, but Firefox is my primary browser. That being said, I use the Chrome version of Enhanced Steam for the extra features. Do what you gotta do.

nexen

Holy mother of what the fuck is wrong with you BAMCO? Why do you guys insist on releasing such extra limited Demos for your games? Jesus! >:-@

And to make things worse, you only allow people to play the hardest Championship mode of Pac-Man DX+ on the lowest speed! Are you out of your mind? People won't buy your games if you keep following this shitty pattern. You make us download the entire Museum's Demo yet we only have access to one of the games.

God-damn. /rant

You should see the "demo" they released for Ridge Racer vita.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
To be honest: About time. Firefox is the only decent alternative to Chrome, and I still don't see why people would use that, other than hating Google.

that's not a bad reason

Even if you hate Google, you can still install the open source Chromium browser and still install Enhanced Steam from the Chrome web store (or if you really hate Google, compiling the extension yourself from source)

I guess I should re-phrase and say that the source code would still be available for other browsers and open for other developers to continue to maintain, but I would only actively work on new features for the Chrome version of the plugin.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
You wouldn't be the first to give Firefox the bird, and you certainly won't be the last.

Chop off that dead weight man. You should be able to concentrate on the latest and greatest and not dancing around horseshit only to get denied and have to meet even more close calls with brick walls by the time you fix what failed you in the first place.

Cth

I don't blame you, but honestly I'm already tired of having multiple browsers.

They're great features, but I guess I can wait for it to come back again one day potentially.

I know how much of a pain it is to code and introducing new bugs in fixing old ones.

That being said, please consider going back to it one day or releasing the code for someone else to work on it for the other platforms.

zkylon

zkylewd
Even if you hate Google, you can still install the open source Chromium browser and still install Enhanced Steam from the Chrome web store (or if you really hate Google, compiling the extension yourself from source)

I guess I should re-phrase and say that the source code would still be available for other browsers and open for other developers to continue to maintain, but I would only actively work on new features for the Chrome version of the plugin.
I mean I personally have firefox, opera and chrome all installed on my pc since I had to do a lot of html5 testing and shit so I don't really mind but some people don't like chrome, how it looks, being tied to google, etc. or like firefox or opera or netscape or whatever, so just saying

I've mostly given up on life and created my google plus account so I can mock people on youtube comments so you know, whatever :p

jshackles

That being said, please consider going back to it one day or releasing the code for someone else to work on it for the other platforms.

Yeah, that's the plan exactly. In fact, the source code for Firefox is already on Github.

My problem is that I'm currently the only person making updates to the Firefox code, while also trying to juggle everything else.

Saty

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

FEZ -- MB-180DD662741774F4 - Taken by schuey7. 3 entrants total.
Beatbuddy -- MB-37EBF89E511CEB6A - Taken by Evrain. 10 entrants total.

t1393365452z1.png
Good luck.

Backlogger

Makes sense to me. I wouldn't have a lot of patience dealing with people emailing me "upset" over a plugin or feature that I don't charge for.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
While it would be a great shame to lose Enhanced Steam for those browsers, I fully understand with all that frustration. Even with Opera 12's issues due to Steam changes, it was still kind of you to support it as long as you have.

If the issues with Opera 20 continue, I have no problem using Chrome simply for Enhanced Steam since I have to keep it around for website testing and HTML 5 work anyroad.

With Opera 12 I have numerous features such as IRC, Chat, RSS, Email client, download manager, easy website examiner and debug tool built in Opera Dragonfly , session manager for multiple different sessions I can title as I see fit, sessions that can automatically remember placement on a page where I last left it, block content simply through right click menu, customisable hotkeys, Opera Link for easy syncing between desktop and mobile, customisable mouse gestures, customisable skins, customisable button placements, able to have over a 100 tabs open without worry, no fears of a massive memory leak, fully customisable speed dial, customisable font, automatic script support (Youtube has black background, automatically HD etc with just a few lines), and far more without needing to add anything on or getting an extension.

I don't like having to add on so much just to make a browser halfway usable for me and that's exactly what it takes with Chrome and Firefox and that's not even getting into my problems with how they at points have memory and RAM issues on my devices. I really don't like how much effort it takes just for me to set up hotkeys (if offered at all, Firefox keeps losing that for me with each update and Add-ons change) and other standard uses I have for browsers. Aye I realise I'm not a normal browser user and if I just did a few tabs at a time and only browsed or checked email and Facebook/Twitter it would be different, but I'm not and so Chrome and Firefox are not a viable alternative to Opera to me.
Opera 20 may be less than Opera 12 in my needs, but at least I can get it closer with only six extensions, Chrome and Firefox need far more.

Either that or I hate Google and Mozilla, so much, with ever fibre of the tweed jacket I don't own

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
ModBot said:
Instructions for Applesauce:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

FEZ -- MB-58B8AC8994D9E3DE - Taken by Shalashaska. 4 entrants total.

t1393365767z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom