• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

How often do Firefox updates break ES?

You could compile a stable build, release, and then cease development unless a Firefox update breaks ES

Aerocrane

Somehow the PC version of Pac-Man Museum is even worse than the barebones port of Championship Edition DX+. It runs at 1280 X 720 with no resolution or any other options really. You can run the game in a window by pressing alt + enter but it is hardly ideal. I'm feeling a bit bitter about buying the PC version over the PS3 version now.

Somehow the PC version of Pac-Man Museum is even worse than the barebones port of Championship Edition DX+. It runs at 1280 X 720 with no resolution or any other options really. You can run the game in a window by pressing alt + enter but it is hardly ideal. I'm feeling a bit bitter about buying the PC version over the PS3 version now.

wtf why would they have it at 720?

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Here's an extra! Good luck.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

FEZ -- MB-929D72893F2CA39A - Taken by Shalashaska. 2 entrants total.

t1393376298z1.png

Tellaerin

To be honest: About time. Firefox is the only decent alternative to Chrome, and I still don't see why people would use that, other than hating Google.

I don't hate Google per se. (Hell, if I did, I wouldn't have a Nexus 7.) I do hate the fact that Google insists on installing an autoupdater process that runs in the background, which is why I uninstalled Chrome and avoided installing other Google apps on PC. It's unnecessary in my opinion, and just poor operating practice. (I try to keep the amount of background stuff running to the absolute bare minimum possible.) If they ever fix that, I'll probably reconsider, but I'm not holding my breath.

Aerocrane

wtf why would they have it at 720?

Looking at the credits, it seems that Mine Loader Software did the port. They also did the PC version of Pac-Man CE DX+. Their version of DX+ didn't really have any options either and it was a port of the Windows 8 tablet version, meant for ARM-based Win8 devices using touch screens. They probably just made the console version run on PC, set up controls for the keyboard and promptly ignored the need for resolution settings and released the game.

*Drives by and dumps off some spare codes*

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Shadowrun Dragonfall (Steam) -- MB-0139112B49F12AB8 - Taken by zerokoolpsx. 33 entrants total.
PGP3OVL.png
Shadowrun Dragonfall (GOG) -- MB-D5513A32378C6F4C - Taken by user237. 3 entrants total.

t1393376748z1.png

Keep in mind you need the base Shadowrun Returns game to be able to play Dragonfall, and the GOG one can't be redeemed until Thursday when it releases.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How often do Firefox updates break ES?

You could compile a stable build, release, and then cease development unless a Firefox update breaks ES

I first released a Firefox version of Enhanced Steam in January of 2013. At the time the current version of Firefox was 18. Earlier this month they released Firefox 27.

At least 3 of these 9 released versions introduced major bugs that required me to re-write large portions of the code to make sure it would remain compatible. To their benefit, they did add cross-domain extension scripting in that time, which made things slightly easier to port from the Chrome code.

In addition to changes in the browser itself, Mozilla's Addon-SDK has updated about 4 times since then, and each time has required me to re-write portions of the code to make it work as intended.

With the introduction of Firefox 29 (which is currently in dev and should be released in a few months) I will once again have to completely re-write a lot of code to make Enhanced Steam work for the majority of the Firefox users who use and stay up to date on the "stable" branch.

So it sounds like a good idea on paper, but I would say that Enhanced Steam would still need to be updated at least once every 3 months (as new versions of Firefox are released) to remain in a usable state.

Kadin

*Drives by and dumps off some spare codes*
Keep in mind you need the base Shadowrun Returns game to be able to play Dragonfall, and the GOG one can't be redeemed until Thursday when it releases.
Nice giveaway. I still need to get Shadowrun Returns and it's good to see this new DLC will allow saves anywhere.

Copons

With Opera 12 I have numerous features such as IRC, Chat, RSS, Email client, download manager, easy website examiner and debug tool built in Opera Dragonfly

I don't use Opera for development other than cross browser testing so I've never got to really explore Dragonfly, but both Chrome and Firefox have basically the same tool built-in...

EDIT for clarity: I'm just talking about Dragonfly, most of your other complaints are true indeed.

Nice giveaway. I still need to get Shadowrun Returns and it's good to see this new DLC will allow saves anywhere.

Actually by the time you get it, you'll be able to save anywhere in the original campaign too! The patch adding that to the base game will go out for everyone on Thursday when Dragonfall releases, I believe. I got through it with the old save system just fine but saving anywhere will be a welcome addition, especially since Dragonfall is supposed to be more open.

Saty

Note: Shadowrun Dragonfall is a DLC so better not apply for the giveaway if you don't got the base game. (which i did apply for before checking).

As a firefox user I would access Steam on Chrome just for enhanced steam and I think others would do the same.

------>

Use Chrome as a dedicated Enhanced Steam app, as thought it was just a program that only does that.

This is precisely what I have been intending to do for awhile now :).

My vote would be to go Chrome only Jason, even though it would be inconvenient for some, including me. It's not as if you're getting paid for all this work and it's actually costing you quite a sum of money every month. What time you don't spend re-coding Firefox and dealing with all that hassle could be better spent coming up with a strategy of making ES self funding somehow!

Kadin

Actually by the time you get it, you'll be able to save anywhere in the original campaign too! The patch adding that to the base game will go out for everyone on Thursday when Dragonfall releases, I believe. I got through it with the old save system just fine but saving anywhere will be a welcome addition, especially since Dragonfall is supposed to be more open.
Well then that makes the time to buy even sooner. I've been putting it on hold for various reasons but that was a big one. I play in such small spurts that having to wait for a save is something I really dislike.

Spikes are still my least favorite thing about Dust, but the sudden difficulty ramp-up in that meadow with the mansions is making a play for the top spot. I've spent a good number of skill gems on health but those bird things and especially the necromancers are turbo melting my health. The parry timing on the birds just eludes me.

God help us all if a screen has spikes, bird assholes, and necromancers.

Uraizen

Banned

You know what to do.

image.php

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
How did so many people get spare Dragonfall keys? Was it a backer only thing?

Nice giveaway Shrike Alvaron

The_Monk

It seems that I really need some help on trying to find all the good setting for Streaming with OBS. My upload speed is about 2MB, while it's not good it should be enough.

I bow my head in shame, but I can't wait to find a good way and make all this work. If I manage to make this watchable then it's going to be a lot of fun.

Oh, and the Story so far from Binary Domain seems really nice, loving BO! :D

Razakin

How are you guys ModBot if it doesn't have Steam Keys?
You can use the gift link with modbot as the guide shows.

I bow my head in shame, but I can't wait to find a good way and make all this work. If I manage to make this watchable then it's going to be a lot of fun.

Hopefully you do manage to get the stream be non-laggy, would be fun to bit more unknown titles like Binary Domain. Really need to buy that on summer sales.

Grief.exe

That's most certainly not a good reason. :p

---

I knew I had to post this for Grief.exe:

yesssssss0xsdb.png

With this and South Park, its going to be an awesome week! Both games will have to tide me over until Dark Souls II.

OT will go up tomorrow afternoon. I haven't played RE4 since the PS2 release, so its going to be quite the experience for me.

EdmondD

It seems that I really need some help on trying to find all the good setting for Streaming with OBS. My upload speed is about 2MB, while it's not good it should be enough.

I have also been playing Binary Domain for the first time. I'm really enjoying it. Very solid shooter. It feels so good to blow robots to pieces. The story is interesting and the characters are great. I feel like there are too many cutscenes though it actually reminded me of Metal Gear Solid the characters just won't shut up sometimes. Not a big deal though. Glad I bought it.

Woo! I just ordered all of my PC parts, they should be getting here on friday and I'll probably be putting it together over the weekend. No more babysitting the framerate and tweaking settings to med/low/high to see what gets me the best performance. (Until I become a 60fps whore, that is...) The thing cost me like 200 more than I had planned for--which ate into funds I wanted to use for more games, but I ended up buying some of the parts from Amazon because I wanted to get things in as few orders as possible (and 2-day shipping). No more laptop ghetto either.

Dunno if I'll do pics of me putting it together or not. I might just flood my Steam feed with screenshots once I start using it xD.

Evrain

Bethesda insists I try the ESO beta (um, thanks but no thanks) so if someone needs a beta code, just drop me a PM. If nobody wants it, I will offload it to ModBot

Anyone else who is playing Lords of Shadows 2 with their PS4 controller randomly stop accepting inputs from Square/Triangle? Same issue with the demo and no other game has issues.

Enjoying it besides that, so I'm hopeful the game will remain a positive experience. Looks quite nice.

Kadin

Bethesda insists I try the ESO beta (um, thanks but no thanks) so if someone needs a beta code, just drop me a PM. If nobody wants it, I will offload it to ModBot
I tried and downloaded the Beta once... once. With that said, I also got a friend code sent to me so if anyone wants one, PM me for it.

Speaking of which, Bethesda wants me to bring a friend to the ESO beta. If anyone wants the extra key I've been given, let me know.

Only people who want to experience the trainwreck for themselves, please.

How did so many people get spare Dragonfall keys? Was it a backer only thing?

Nice giveaway Shrike Alvaron

Yeah, I got three Steam keys and one GOG key for SRR and now the same for Dragonfall. One Steam key for me, one for a friend, and then the last and GOG key for here! I already gave away the extra SRR keys back in December, though.

I think how many you got may have been in relation to how much you pledged, I'm not sure. I backed at the $125 level, people lower than that may have gotten less.

r3n4ud

Whatever you decide to do with ES Jason, I'm supporting you! Not currently a Chrome user, but I'll change if need be...

maty

More games...

I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Velvet Assasin -- MB-6122DCF019FC71B8 - Taken by Relax.MX. 4 entrants total.
Interstellar Marines -- MB-FE1E154B03FDD261 - Taken by Sub Zero. 3 entrants total.
Dynamite Jack -- MB-E4B0A8F54FF5ADB6 - Taken by zkylon. 5 entrants total.
Magicka ( Plus2 DLC) -- MB-092E9E0F70D37891 - Taken by cardinalmind. 2 entrants total.
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams -- MB-7D05F40B7D9B237C
The Whisper Word -- MB-F3C06253288B8EEE - Taken by mrchampipi. 6 entrants total.
Monaco -- MB-9E1E905044ADAE83 - Taken by Evrain. 7 entrants total.
Aerena -- MB-5CCF5DCACEE205CD
Gun Monekys -- MB-0AC17C7FD583FE26 - Taken by Newblade. 2 entrants total.
Interstellar Marines #2 -- MB-94FAF496BAAA8790 - Taken by Volimar. 4 entrants total.
And Yet It Moves -- MB-B780D835D3B24187 - Taken by Kiru. 1 entrants total.

t1393369415z1.png

I've just passed 500 games on steam thanks to all these bundles releasing one after the other.

Yea it was fun to watch, Ill get around to playing it one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom