• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seagoon

Good luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last month, you are not eligible for this.
giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Civilization IV -- MB-60DBC4E830F5AEC9 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
Fez -- MB-E9419774EE3C9BD3
Civilization 3 -- MB-23EE2AC68B442B18
Anomaly Korea #2 -- MB-40CF1683514F04E6
Anomaly Korea #1 -- MB-65EA1B2C5EF1A570 - Taken by Jive Turkey. 3 entrants total.
Dust: An Elysian Tail -- MB-ECBA0B405C09ACD7
Guacamelee Gold Edition -- MB-57B8B2F55A93C882
Sid Meier's Ace Patrol -- MB-349874053EA10C6C - Taken by Vastag. 1 entrants total.
Giana Sisters -- MB-F92F223E59159CB5
Anomaly Warzone Earth Mobile Campaign -- MB-EDF947AAB3DC1B94

t1393386693z1.png

eyeless

In light of all of this, I am seriously considering making Enhanced Steam exclusive to Google Chrome.
i consider enhanced steam essential but i use firefox and i'm not going to switch to chrome or use two browsers so this would be a shame. it's your thing but just thought i'd put in a "i need enhanced steam pls don't abandon meeee" vote.

Sure, but I'd assume that corrosivefrost already tried those. I was going to suggest logging in to the Games For Windows Marketplace. A few times now I've had a problem where none of my GFWL games would log in even though all of my login information was correct. I solved it by clearing the login information from GFW Marketplace and logging in there; afterwards, my GFWL games would sign in fine again.

Try above, I bet it'll work!

How do I do that?
And I still haven't figured out how to create and offline profile that will let me save in Dark Souls either.

i consider enhanced steam essential but i use firefox and i'm not going to switch to chrome or use two browsers so this would be a shame. it's your thing but just thought i'd put in a "i need enhanced steam pls don't abandon meeee" vote.
+1 I switched from Chrome because it started exhibiting the problems that made me switch from Firefox initially. It's just way too chunky on my laptop.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Because they nuked a joke tag based on a meme? (Admittedly a funny one, but still.)

Because the tags are supposed to be a way to view fun and unscripted ways that people view games on Steam, both positive and negative.

They're so vanilla right now that they might as well just restrict the modifiers to whatever the devs want.

valve i hate you youre the worst

Obviously I'm overreacting, but tags were a great opportunity for some community fun. Now they're as dry as the Metacritic score, except they can't be negative.

Tellaerin

Because the tags are supposed to be a way to view fun and unscripted ways that people view games on Steam, both positive and negative.

They're so vanilla right now that they might as well just restrict the modifiers to whatever the devs want.

I guess I see them differently. I wasn't really looking at Steam tags like Twitter hashtags or something, where people tag topics in ways that they think are clever/funny/whatever. I'm looking at them as a way to find the types of content I'm interested in more easily.

Sure, if Valve nukes something like "Nanomachines, son", sure, you lose the joke there. But was that tag going to make it any easier for me to find other games like MGR:R on Steam? Probably not, since it's pretty specific to that one game, and I doubt many other games would be tagged with it. It's the same for a lot of the other joke tags. They're funny sometimes, sure, but they're usually not all that helpful. I guess that's why moves like this don't bother me all that much.

Chrome seems snappy at first, but it gets slower over time in my experience.

Went back to Firefox.

Open the case and give the gerbil a caffeine pill. Chrome'll be running at full speed again in no time. :p

(Seriously, though, didn't you say you were ditching the laptop? If slowdown's the main obstacle, I imagine your new system with MOAR POWER will be able to handle Chrome just fine. Though I'd be the last person to fault anyone else for sticking with what they know and like.)

Steam being weird for anyone else right now?

It was going on and offline and after it did an update all of my folders (excpt for two oddly enough) are gone.

nampad

I finally made an humble account after buying every bundle for years. Now looking through my library there were many unclaimed keys which I activated and some I didn't remember about.
So I wanted to check out if I already had given away a certain key and tried to check it with the activate code option because I remember that they will ask you if you are sure about activating it. Of course, I already owned the games so I wasn't asked and instead they just notified me that I already own the games.

Now, is the key still valid?

Carm

Man, I almost bought Europa Universalis IV impulsively thinking a discount code would work, but none seem to work. Guess I'll have to wait till summer to buy a game I won't be playing anytime soon heh.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I've had a somewhat change of heart about Enhanced Steam development. I want as many people as possible to have access to the extension, and I don't want to leave anyone out or make anyone use a browser they don't like just on my account.

So I'm working on a fix for the Opera 12 browser. I'll fix the few Firefox bugs that caused it to be rejected, and re-submit. I haven't decided if I'll support Firefox 29+ yet, but at the very least you can choose to stay on Firefox 28 to keep Enhanced Steam working correctly when the time comes.

Tellaerin

I finally made an humble account after buying every bundle for years. Now looking through my library there were many unclaimed keys which I activated and some I didn't remember about.
So I wanted to check out if I already had given away a certain key and tried to check it with the activate code option because I remember that they will ask you if you are sure about activating it. Of course, I already owned the games so I wasn't asked and instead they just notified me that I already own the games.

As far as I know, yes. It didn't actually activate the key when you tried it, so it should still be valid.

StAidan

Someone take it. Please.

ModBot said:
Instructions for StAidan:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Fez -- MB-09C5EEF7F9B99F67 - Taken by Almighty

if you already owned x game and have a (unused) key of x game and try to redeem it, it won't use your key

Faabulous

Is anyone here really into Hearts of Iron? If so, can you convince me to buy/not buy Hearts of Iron 3?

I'm really into EU3, EU4 and CK2 (so yeah, only babby's first grand strategy)

Tellaerin

So I've had a somewhat change of heart about Enhanced Steam development. I want as many people as possible to have access to the extension, and I don't want to leave anyone out or make anyone use a browser they don't like just on my account.

So I'm working on a fix for the Opera 12 browser. I'll fix the few Firefox bugs that caused it to be rejected, and re-submit. I haven't decided if I'll support Firefox 29+ yet, but at the very least you can choose to stay on Firefox 28 to keep Enhanced Steam working correctly when the time comes.

Thanks, man. Considering how much more work this entails for you, I know it's not something you decided lightly. And I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I appreciate you going above and beyond like this.

Open the case and give the gerbil a caffeine pill. Chrome'll be running at full speed again in no time. :p

(Seriously, though, didn't you say you were ditching the laptop? If slowdown's the main obstacle, I imagine your new system with MOAR POWER will be able to handle Chrome just fine. Though I'd be the last person to fault anyone else for sticking with what they know and like.)
Dunno about Sajjaja, but Chrome actually got worse going from my 32bit desktop to my 64bit laptop. And the laptop is faster. :/ Cyberfox is amazing though.

nampad

As far as I know, yes. It didn't actually activate the key when you tried it, so it should still be valid.

if you already owned x game and have a (unused) key of x game and try to redeem it, it won't use your key

Thanks to both of you. Tried to check Humble Bundle 3 which I already owned.
I feel like a drug dealer. After getting my friends to install Steam for Alien Swarm I now get them hooked with free games.

HoosTrax

Not for I. Chrome is indeed quicker than firefox. No idea why. Pages are just snappier.
I've also found Chrome to be faster than Firefox. No extensions installed other than AdBlock.

I have noticed though, that Chrome is a shameless RAM hog. (I'm not necessarily complaining, as memory has gotten plentiful in general.) I also get a slightly annoyed feeling whenever I open up process explorer and see a dozen Chrome processes, mainly because it clutters up the list and makes it harder to find what I'm interested in.

Sarcasm

Guys have to realize that browsers will run different for everybody.

So I use Canary chrome and is the only browser that runs fine for me, even on my netbook. Firefox for me only advantage is it doesn't crash as much as IE does. Opera is interesting since you can use Chrome extensions.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I find it interesting that the DLC for Thief gets tagged as having 3rd party DRM in Enhanced Steam because the page says "3rd Party DRM: Steam".

Someone at Squenix might want to look into that.

Sajjaja

I've already gotten a new puter :p I haven't used Chrome on it yet though simply because I'm so used to Firefox now with all the addons and my synced bookmarks/history. Though I probably will check it out again soon. Firefox has been being pretty shitty lately (lately as in the last 2 years).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom