• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steambros, just got Titanfall on Origins for $37 thanks to my brothers across the border. A fair price for a multiplayer only game with about 15 maps and some coop stuff, i figure. It's the cheapest way to get the game on PC right now so you might want to get in on it.

God damn, Thief's ending is terrible. I feel significantly dumber for having experienced it.

Worse than DEHR? That shit was literally press a button for an ending.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I see what you did there.

It does seem like it happens in high frequency. Not exactly the same, but we have network down time every now and then when they're upgrading the servers (I work for a rather large appliance company), but it usually occurs at obscure times and we're notified ahead of time.

Their random down times are slightly surprising though.

As I mentioned during yesterday's downtime, a big part of my job right now is just making sure that our servers stay online, up to date with patches, and with reliable connections. I work in an industry where people's lives are actually on the line. I've been doing this job for 4 years, and in that time we've had only one outage that occurred as a result of bizarre circumstances. It was after hours, but we were still back online in 47 minutes.

Our IT department doesn't have a huge annual budget, and there are only 5 of us (not all network engineers) yet we're still able to do our job thanks to things like load balancers, intelligent switching, redundant upstream providers, and virtual servers in a high availability cluster.

All of this technology is designed to scale to applications and services of any size. There are certainly sites on the internet just as popular as Steam that don't have these sorts of issues.

It just seems like at this point, Valve would want to hire someone with my skillset if only just to get their current system modernized in such a way.

Blablurn

Steambros, just got Titanfall on Origins for $37 thanks to my brothers across the border. A fair price for a multiplayer only game with about 15 maps and some coop stuff, i figure. It's the cheapest way to get the game on PC right now so you might want to get in on it.

Will bite for 25 bucks in summer. At least I hope i will get it for that price by then.

At least once. Nothing in the past three-and-a-bit years, though.

not once! I gave up and removed it from my wishlist, it's plain ridiculous! (><)
I like tetris, but it isn't even best Lumines and it's 9,99€, for Odin's sake!

that counts for never, wouldn't you agree?

I emailed them to see if they are going to update Lumines or launch a new one. It's a shame that such a great IP is not working properly on steam or mobile.

I might bite at full price though XD.

Will bite for 25 bucks in summer. At least I hope i will get it for that price by then.

I considered waiting too but since it's EA exclusive through Origins I don't see them being in a rush to drop the price. Battlefield 4 is only now really seeing price drops and it's only gone down to $30 so I dont mind paying a little bit more for day one access.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It seems Valve's officially plugged the loophole that allowed RU traders to buy the ROW sub of South Park: any attempt to trick the checkout system to buy a sub not intended for your region just results in Steam silently switching regions and emptying your cart.

Edit: Or not. Apparently Steam was just screwing up.

I emailed them to see if they are going to update Lumines or launch a new one. It's a shame that such a great IP is not working properly on steam or mobile.

I might bite at full price though XD.

Grab it through a trader for about half price.

Nabs

I considered waiting too but since it's EA exclusive through Origins I don't see them being in a rush to drop the price. Battlefield 4 is only now really seeing price drops and it's only gone down to $30 so I dont mind paying a little bit more for day one access.

Battlefield 4 was like 19.99 on Origin in November.. EA is all about that shit.

Kiru

Found this on reddit, old ?

lHQCbLE.jpg

Grief.exe

I actually noticed some pretty hefty discounts on Battlefield 4 fairly quickly after launch.

Battlefield 4 was like 19.99 on Origin in November.. EA is all about that shit.

EA knocks the price down, VPN through Mexico

Hola!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
EA is the king at devaluing I.P.

Hell, even the name "Electronic Arts" is pretty worthless now.

Lunaniem

Be warned, there have been reports of people being banned in the past from being able to purchase from the Origin store after doing the Mexico trick.

derExperte

Be warned, there have been reports of people being banned in the past from being able to purchase from the Origin store after doing the Mexico trick.

I only know of some that got the bought game removed and their money back. Maybe I should email EA and incriminate myself....

Apparently, you should turn off all assistance and stuff. Make it minimalistic and you can appreciate it for what it is what than what you wish it to be. That's what I'm getting from the OT.

I chose Master Thief but the difficulty isn't the game's sole or even primary problem.

Grief.exe

I've never heard of anything negative coming from the region purchases.

Banned from making subsequent purchases though? Seems like a strange ban. I've never actually bought something directly through Origin before. VPN for Titanfall would be a first and probably last EA purchase I would make as I don't see Dice or Bioware releasing a compelling game again.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
2 minutes ago Changed ReleaseStateOverrideCountries – CN,MN,KR,TW,LA,TH,KH,VN,PH,BN,MY,SG,ID,HK,MO,JP,BS,PA,BZ,CR,SV,GT,HN,NI,VE,CO,GY,SR,GF,BR,PE,BO,PY,UY,AR,CL,EC,US,CA,MX,PR,AU,NZ

About time, Squeenix. Better late than never!

graywolf323

It still baffles me how a company with as many resources as Valve can have over an hour of downtime on a site as big as Steam on a fairly regular basis. Valve needs a good network engineer / software developer / all-around-good-guy
like me

that would require them to spend money on personnel which they seem especially averse to

it's a joke how bad their customer service is too

HoosTrax

Being that I'm one of those that rarely steps outside this thread -- is there a mobile (Android, not iPad) game thread somewhere?

Trying to find something to play when I'm on the can. Something with replay value but isn't an IAP trap with shallow gameplay (actually those two might be mutually exclusive...). It isn't the paying part that bothers me, but the fact that gameplay is balanced around IAP and just feels lame/cheap as a result.

Lunaniem

Banned from making subsequent purchases though? Seems like a strange ban. I've never actually bought something directly through Origin before. VPN for Titanfall would be a first and probably last EA purchase I would make as I don't see Dice or Bioware releasing a compelling game again.

I've just seen reports from a few people around when BF4 came out, but most were fine.

Worst case scenario is having to buy Origin games through other sites which often have games cheaper anyway outside of other region stores.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Being that I'm one of those that rarely steps outside this thread -- is there a mobile (Android, not iPad) game thread somewhere?

Trying to find something to play when I'm on the can. Something with replay value but isn't an IAP trap with shallow gameplay (actually those two might be mutually exclusive...). It isn't the paying part that bothers me, but the fact that gameplay is balanced around IAP and just feels lame/cheap as a result.

What kind of games do you like? My favorite Android games are RPGs - Square Enix re-releases of Final Fantasy games, or Kemco's great line up but I also like Kairosoft's stuff.

There are also classics like (the original) Plants Vs Zombies, and I play a lot of the stuff that's been in the Humble Android bundles, my favorite being Kingdom Rush.

Not all mobile games have IAP, usually if I'm playing a game and notice that they do I immediately uninstall.

Lots of people really enjoy Hoplite. It's a turn based strategy roguelike that's very easy to pick up and play in bursts. It's free, but you can pay two dollars to get a few optional features.

NIN90

Super Hexagon is super dope on Android and the perfect game for crapper sessions.

Ban Puncher

It's past 4am here so before I hit the sack I'll repost this with 12 hours to go. Toodles.

Oh shit son it's THE FINAL

PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY
PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY
PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY

header.jpg

PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY
PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY
PREY STEAM KEY GIVEAWAY

It's been fun but all good things must come to an end. This is the final Prey key I'll be giving away. And there is no better way to go out than one last MS Paint competition.

To coincide with this being the final contest for what may very well be the last Prey Steam key in existence (TRUFAX), the theme this time will be 'What I Would Do For The Final Prey Key Ever In The History Of Everything'. Mash your clenched fists against your computering input devices until you conjure up a single picture, comic or animated JIF and upload it here for everyone to silently judge you. One entry per person. 24 hour time limit. Be there or be square.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

I hear Dokuro (on Google's Play) is pretty good.

nai

Usually it does it automatically. Not sure why it didnt work for you.
I figured it out. I registered the games once first but forgot to add rules. So the second PM i got from modbot did not contain the images.

Oh well, this is my first time giving through modbot.

I can confirm that this happens. My Origin account is blocked from making any purchases, presumably due to VPN shenanigans. Ironically, I did it in the days of EADM before the client was ever named Origin. I don't give a fuck though because EA keys are available everywhere else and they rarely if ever have any sales that aren't matched/beaten elsewhere.

Anyway, bundle extras

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Arcane Worlds -- MB-43717AC087CCF2E8 - Taken by Tellaerin. 7 entrants total.
Mini Motor Racing EVO -- MB-827384CD0CDB8678 - Taken by jmizzal. 5 entrants total.

t1393436105z1.png

Mrbob

Sweet - new achievements even. Kingdom Rush is a pretty awesome game guys

Yup, it's great. PC key bindings are well thought out. Plus you get all the content including heroes. It's way better than the iOS version ( which I already finished ). Plays better, looks better, no IAPS with all content available. Plus there are Steamchieves and Trading Cards.

One more campaign update to do too in the near future which is nice.

Arthea

Update: ES has nothing to do with it.
I still can buy New Vegas just fine, even if I own it. It's in my library, even installed.
Now I'll have nightmares for the end of my days. *goes to check licenses and subs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom