• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebrand

Ugh. Should have checked system requirements for Strider before buying, it's 64-bit only. Running 32-bit due to some old hardware and software that doesn't have 64-bit support, I don't think I have spare keys for Vista/7 since they're all OEM.

I'm certainly not blaming any dev for wanting to drop support for the old 32-bit architecture in 2014, it's just the first game I've run into that is 64-bit only.

fantomena

Thief is out now in Norway btw.

It really wouldn't surprise if it appeared on a humble bundle within a month or two.

There have been so many cheap pre-order prices for the game, like the average must be 40$. It's like Square is begging me to pre-order it.

The game seems to be bombing on both consoles and PC.

The MetaCritic score doesn't look look either.

Tenrius

The store page is now "Buy".
Still not fucking unlocked because it's not 'officially' released.

I remember having to wait for several hours after the actual for my preload to unlock, while people who bought the game after the release were able to play it. Don't remember which game it was though.

Nabs

The store page is now "Buy".
Still not fucking unlocked because it's not 'officially' released.

less than a minute ago Removed ReleaseStateOverrideCountries – CN,MN,KR,TW,LA,TH,KH,VN,PH,BN,MY,SG,ID,HK,MO,JP,BS,PA,BZ,CR,SV,GT,HN,NI,VE,CO,GY,SR,GF,BR,PE,BO,PY,UY,AR,CL,EC,US,CA,MX,PR,AU,NZ

Turfster

I remember having to wait for several hours after the actual for my preload to unlock, while people who bought the game after the release were able to play it. Don't remember which game it was though.

Well, restarting Steam fixed the "play" button... but now of course it's complaining there's not enough space on the drive, because of course it decrypts everything in the downloading dir before moving it to the final directory that I already junctioned. Sigh. Time to junction some more stuff.
less than a minute ago Removed ReleaseStateOverrideCountries – CN,MN,KR,TW,LA,TH,KH,VN,PH,BN,MY,SG,ID,HK,MO,JP,BS,PA,BZ,CR,SV,GT,HN,NI,VE,CO,GY,SR,GF,BR,PE,BO,PY,UY,AR,CL,EC,US,CA,MX,PR,AU,NZ

I'm not in any of those countries ;)

Yeah, digital distribution seems to be going backwards with all of this regional bullshit with staggered releases and how things are priced. Although in some cases I know that's the status quo depending on where you live. I'm not looking forward to paying more for my games when Valve adds the Canadian currency, and thus Canadian prices and taxes, to Steam. The only thing that will accomplish is that I'll buy fewer games at full price and more from sales.

Zafir

Ah nice, restarted my client and can now install Thief.
Yeah, digital distribution seems to be going backwards with all of this regional bullshit with staggered releases and how things are priced. Although in some cases I know that's the status quo depending on where you live. I'm not looking forward to paying more for my games when Valve adds the Canadian currency, and thus Canadian prices and taxes, to Steam. The only thing that will accomplish is that I'll buy fewer games at full price and more from sales.
At least for me, it means I just don't generally buy from Steam. Thief for example I bought from GMG.

Ugh. Should have checked system requirements for Strider before buying, it's 64-bit only. Running 32-bit due to some old hardware and software that doesn't have 64-bit support, I don't think I have spare keys for Vista/7 since they're all OEM.

I'm certainly not blaming any dev for wanting to drop support for the old 32-bit architecture in 2014, it's just the first game I've run into that is 64-bit only.

It's also DX11 only too, so if your card doesn't support that, you're SOL.

You should thank your computer though, it's saving you from the utter and abysmal disappointment that is Strider by Double Helix.

Sounds like I should restart steam and check...

Now if only I could get a copy of Motor Rock...

It's reaching new levels of absurdity. I live in India and the version of Thief on sale in my Steam store is the RU+CIS one. That's right, Square Enix thinks India is a part of Russia or eastern Europe. Well at least the price is cheaper right? Nope. The game still costs the ROW price of $50.

I'm glad I only paid $7 for an AMD key. Square Enix can get fucked.

Caerith

Ultionus: A Tale of Petty Revenge, which recently got steam keys added to some groupees bundle, despite having a doge achievement, is really quite good.

Turfster

Steam automatically starts trying to copy the game files to the drive that doesn't have enough space, gets about a third of the way in, runs out space, starts deleting the files again.
Why, Valve, if the decrypting stage can check to see if there's enough space, why doesn't the actual copying of the decrypted content check and ask where to put the files?

Firebrand

It's also DX11 only too, so if your card doesn't support that, you're SOL.

You should thank your computer though, it's saving you from the utter and abysmal disappointment that is Strider by Double Helix.
Hmm, you're right, that might be a problem. I run several games in "DirectX11" mode which fine on my 10.1 card, maybe not this one. Oddly high system requirements for such a "simple" game.

Well, I'll take this as a sign it's about damn time I got myself a new system, hopefully I can make that happen before too long.

Grief.exe

More releases went through for RE4

AE,BH,KW,OM,QA,SA,DZ,AO,BJ,BW,BF,BI,CM,CV,CF,TD,KM,CG,DJ,EG,GQ,ER,ET,GA,GM,GH,GN,GW,KE,LS,LR,MG,MW,ML,MR,MU,MA,MZ,NA,NE,NG,RW,ST,SN,SL,SO,ZA,SC,SS,SZ,TZ,TG,TN,UG,ZM,ZW

More releases went through for RE4

AE,BH,KW,OM,QA,SA,DZ,AO,BJ,BW,BF,BI,CM,CV,CF,TD,KM,CG,DJ,EG,GQ,ER,ET,GA,GM,GH,GN,GW,KE,LS,LR,MG,MW,ML,MR,MU,MA,MZ,NA,NE,NG,RW,ST,SN,SL,SO,ZA,SC,SS,SZ,TZ,TG,TN,UG,ZM,ZW

Couldn't sign into steam, so it doesn't really matter for me at the moment. ;)
Thanks though!

Garcia

YES! I won Bastion!
Thank you NekoToshiro. :D

anchorman.jpg

I have been waiting to play this game for months. I'm already installing it. :)

Turfster

Okay, the Thief benchmark is patently lying to me.
No matter what I change or which resolution I choose, it's always claiming to run at 15fps exactly.
Guess I'll update my drivers.

Locust

I don't even know how to explain it, it sort of feels like the mouse is treated as an analog stick. No accuracy whatsoever.

Turfster

Good god. I've gotten out of the first window in Thief and already I am seething with hatred for the contextual jump and the shitty interactable finder. I was ramming E and whatever else I could at that boarded up window, without anything happening. I finally turned the prompts and everything back on, and then it transpired I had to stand 5 fucking meters away from the window to be able to swish closer and start IMMERSION to open it.

Clawww

Good god. I've gotten out of the first window in Thief and already I am seething with hatred for the contextual jump and the shitty interactable finder. I was ramming E and whatever else I could at that boarded up window, without anything happening. I finally turned the prompts and everything back on, and then it transpired I had to stand 5 fucking meters away from the window to be able to swish closer and start IMMERSION to open it.

that sounds fucking awful

Turfster

that sounds fucking awful

SHOOT ROPE ARROW HERE. NO, HERE. HEEEERE.
And then it turns into a 30 second running Parkour scene, Assassin's creed style.
WHOOP, BACK TO CREEPING BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT TO BE HEARD.
Hey, that use key? That's also your lean key. Because we took out leaning, now you can only lean around corners in a fixed position.

Levyne

Banned
Glancing through this thread occasionally, I get the feeling Turfster needs to find a game he enjoys, running into stinker after stinker :(

Deadbeat

Banned
So which Nazi Zombie game is better? The first one or the second one?
Glancing through this thread occasionally, I get the feeling Turfster needs to find a game he enjoys, running into stinker after stinker :(
He should have bought Dark Messiah when it was on sale.

Turfster

Oh, I have games I enjoy, don't worry.
I'm just much more vocal about the stuff that makes my blood boil ;)

He should have bought Dark Messiah when it was on sale.
I did! (And then I found my 360 copy after looking for it for about 2 years)

Lain

I'm sure it's old news, but I just noticed from the groupees chat that Diehard Dungeon in the Build A Greenlight Bundle 4 had steam keys added.

Turfster

And then was walking up stairs looking for a safe mentioned in a piece of world lore and the game was all "nope, time for a cutscene and end of this bit of the tutorial level!"

Anyway, I'll stop liveblogging this... travesty.
Just know I am not a happy camper =p

SHOOT ROPE ARROW HERE. NO, HERE. HEEEERE.
And then it turns into a 30 second running Parkour scene, Assassin's creed style.
WHOOP, BACK TO CREEPING BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT TO BE HEARD.
Hey, that use key? That's also your lean key. Because we took out leaning, now you can only lean around corners in a fixed position.

You can be too close to an interaction point and not be able to interact with it. You mash space bar and nothing happens. You have to be just the right distance for the context sensitive action point for it to properly work.

Relax.MX

Today i finished my first run on Dishonored and was a very good ride. My objective was no lethal, no upgrades and no alerts all in hard..i get all(well no all..:(..i guess i killed someone in some point, the achivement of "no kill" never show up..)..

Is very fun but a little easy i was with only one skill without upgrades and i still feel overpower.

The best of all is the world in general, the story is ok but nothing more.

Great game but now the no mercy run.

Grief.exe

For the sake of preparation, let's assume that the Capcom dev is on point and there's going to be slightly staggered rollout. Since the rollout window is small I'd advise against using FlyVPN since it can be a pain in the arse to get a slot; instead, use inCloak, a service which offers a free 24-hour trial and has servers in the UK and NZ. For those new to this, you may need to restart Steam after connecting to the VPN (type "what's my ip" into Google and ensure it has changed) for "Pre-load" to switch to "Play", and I'd recommend staying connected while in-game as otherwise your status may change and this can cause issues with achievements (they might not unlock) and cards (they might not drop).

Worked like a charm for unlocking RE4.

I recommend connecting to Moscow, I believe the app is trying to download the art book and music after it unlocks which does not work well with a slow VPN connection. Those don't seem to be available in Russia, so game starts after unpacking is complete.

Backlogger

Has nothing to do with having the DLC or not.
The release of the DLC meant they updated the engine of the original game to match that, including the save anywhere functionality. Apparently, this also means they need to reimport the older system's saves and convert them to the new system, which is where I ran into my problem.

Ah, I thought the changes regarding game saves were tied to the DLC, but I see I got an updated today. That sucks... did they not do regression tests on saved games?

And then was walking up stairs looking for a safe mentioned in a piece of world lore and the game was all "nope, time for a cutscene and end of this bit of the tutorial level!"

Anyway, I'll stop liveblogging this... travesty.
Just know I am not a happy camper =p

You were Derrick's alt account all the time! That explains EVERYTHING!!!! :eek:

Or was he yours? Hm....

Please don't stop ranting about it; it's entertaining :D.

Turfster

Oh god this is worse than Max Payne 3. Stairs are to Garrett what doors were to Max.
AND THEN WE JUST LEAVE BODIES OUT IN THE OPEN.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ah, I thought the changes regarding game saves were tied to the DLC, but I see I got an updated today. That sucks... did they not do regression tests on saved games?

No idea, but if you weren't very far/not in a mission, it shouldn't influence your savegame I don't think. I was halfway in a mission when I stopped the last time, hence my problem.

You were Derrick's alt account all the time! That explains EVERYTHING!!!! :eek:

Or was he yours? Hm....

Please don't stop ranting about it; it's entertaining :D.

Hah, no. Derrick and I didn't agree on a lot of things.
We did agree on stealth games and the lamentable, disgraceful downfall thereof in recent years, though.

You can be too close to an interaction point and not be able to interact with it. You mash space bar and nothing happens. You have to be just the right distance for the context sensitive action point for it to properly work.

That's rather bad user experience design, especially for a game that has turning off the prompts as an option =p
Speaking of bad user experience design, even turning off the light gem doesn't turn off the stupid 'flash' effect every time you step into the light.

I gave up on anything modern ever being able to stack up against the original PC games of old years ago and am just basically playing Thief for what is, about 6 hours and enjoying it actually. The atmosphere is nice and grim, gotta say though Dishonored had a better brothel :{.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom