• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, so Mass Effect is five bucks. I've been jonesing for a ME replay for a while now, but I have a question - is the Mass Effect Trilogy a better purchase to hold out for? Keeping in mind I already have 2 for PC.

My main reason for asking is that I remember the PS3 versions of ME2 and 1 were on more updated versions of the UE3 engine that looked a lot better, which I assume is what the Trilogy builds used. Is this the case? Or are those improvements PS3 only?

Turfster

C... Can you not move bodies anymore?
Or is it just disabled for the first chapter.
Please tell me they just disabled it for the first chapter, because I moved a body in a cutscene before this.

Khronico

Having watched an hour or so of Thief gameplay, it's hilarious how blatant the loading zones are. Opaque windows that require QTE's going in and out, debris to gate your progress by a canned animation, etc.

How is it in 2014 we get a Thief game that's even smaller in some respects than 3? These areas are like tiny boxes.

And it's incredibly buggy and unpolished to boot.

mannerbot

Hey, so Mass Effect is five bucks. I've been jonesing for a ME replay for a while now, but I have a question - is the Mass Effect Trilogy a better purchase to hold out for? Keeping in mind I already have 2 for PC.

My main reason for asking is that I remember the PS3 versions of ME2 and 1 were on more updated versions of the UE3 engine that looked a lot better, which I assume is what the Trilogy builds used. Is this the case? Or are those improvements PS3 only?

Amazon's got Mass Effect Trilogy for $12 right now:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009XDMQ0W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Origin-only of course, as ME3 isn't on Steam.

Turfster

'Jump' to drop off ledges (but not all of them, of course), because god forbid you'd just be able to walk off them.
'Use' this tight space between crates and ram E for a while halfway to move a beam out of the way.
Also, I guess turning off prompts doesn't turn off the PRESS F TO FOCUS!!!! No, fuck you, game. Let me seethe in peace and quiet.
"Hey, let me complain when you're exploring and turn right instead of left, where I want you to go."

Looked a lot better? Still no match for PC. Plus you can use ENB mod or SweetFX on this game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Resident Evil 4's Steam Cards are out, and something a bit note-worthy is that the cards for Leon, Ada, and Krauser are marked as being (RE4). None of the others. Leon and Ada are in RE6 and have cards, so this isn't surprising to differentiate them, but here's a small theory.

A little after Resident Evil 4 HD came out, they also released Resident Evil Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles HD on PSN. Krauser is a main character in Darkside Chronicles. Maybe Capcom are working for a PC port of those two games for Steam, and likely he'll have a trading card there too, which is why they differentiated the fact this is his RE4 card?

Just a theory.

Thief is installing and RE4 will follow right after. Somehow I got the feeling I will end end up replaying the latter before I finish the former.

Resident Evil 4's Steam Cards are out, and something a bit note-worthy is that the cards for Leon, Ada, and Krauser are marked as being (RE4). None of the others. Leon and Ada are in RE6 and have cards, so this isn't surprising to differentiate them, but here's a small theory.

A little after Resident Evil 4 HD came out, they also released Resident Evil Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles HD on PSN. Krauser is a main character in Darkside Chronicles. Maybe Capcom are working for a PC port of those two games for Steam, and likely he'll have a trading card there too, which is why they differentiated the fact this is his RE4 card?

Just a theory.

Nice and plausible theory. The only other game he appeared in was Mercenaries 3D and that one is unlikely to appear anywhere else. Won't complain about more games but I really, really want RE5 updated first.

KarmaCow

The new Death Wish difficulty mode in Payday 2 is ridiculous. The new additions to maps also makes stealth harder with unbreakable cameras and making impossible to clear out the map of guards. Then there are the universal changes like limits to bagging bodies and the inability to turn dominated guards while in stealth. There are some missions that I'm pretty sure will be impossible to stealth like the Train Heist and actually fighting doesn't seem that doable on Death Wish either with the number of special cops and how hard they hit now. I'm curious what Overkill will do to balance it now since some missions are harder than they should because of bugs like guards seeing through walls or enemies walking through walls.

At least they "fixed" the epidemic of people farming Rats for exp with the randomized getaway arrival on the first day and the repeat mission penalty/varied mission bonus.

Turfster

I like how it takes you extinguishing 5 candles after stealing the thing he's working on before an NPC knows there's something wrong.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The new Death Wish difficulty mode in Payday 2 is ridiculous. The new additions to maps also makes stealth harder with unbreakable cameras and making impossible to clear out the map of guards. Then there are the universal changes like limits to bagging bodies and the inability to turn dominated guards while in stealth. There are some missions that I'm pretty sure will be impossible to stealth like the Train Heist and actually fighting doesn't seem that doable on Death Wish either with the number of special cops and how hard they hit now. I'm curious what Overkill do to balance it now since some missions are harder than they should because of bugs like guards seeing through walls or enemies walking through walls.

At least they "fixed" the epidemic of people farming Rats for exp with the randomized getaway arrival on the first day and the repeat mission penalty/varied mission bonus.

Yeah, Stealth took a massive nerf this patch and new difficulty. I re-specced off of ghost for the first time since Beta and then just kinda shut the game off. Overkill doesn't know how to patch or balance their own game for shit and panders exclusively to an obsessively sadistic 1% of their fanbase. Good luck saying anything about it either, you're just a whiner to the players and Goldfarb will just block you on twitter while putting his fingers in his ears.

But hey at least they came up with a nice solution for farming missions over and over again that makes sense AND rewards people instead of just punishing.

KarmaCow

Yeah, Stealth took a massive nerf this patch and new difficulty. I re-specced off of ghost for the first time since Beta and then just kinda shut the game off. Overkill doesn't know how to patch or balance their own game for shit and panders exclusively to an obsessively sadistic 1% of their fanbase. Good luck saying anything about it either, you're just a whiner to the players and Goldfarb will just block you on twitter while putting his fingers in his ears.

But hey at least they came up with a nice solution for farming missions over and over again that makes sense AND rewards people instead of just punishing.

I don't think stealth isn't ruined on a mechanical level, I actually like limit to body bags. You can't have a single Ghost solo maps anymore, which sucks for solo players but it's better for team games. Framing Frame is much more interesting now and the bank heists haven't really changed too much. You can't lure guards with a broken cam on Death Wish but otherwise it's the same plan. The Ukrainian Job is even more luck dependent with the Titan cams and two Titan safes bu that hasn't changed drastically either. Diamond Heist seemingly hasn't changed at all so I'm curious about Firestarter day 2, Big Oil, Go Bank and Nightclub. Especially Go Bank since Titan cams would break that mission.

I did spend about 4 hours of wiping on various missions making little progress but I don't think the changes are fundamentally broken for the most part. They just gotta fix the bugs like a Cloaker kool-aid manning to get to people and tweak some guard numbers on some missions.

What the heck, I'll give Aliens CM a shot at $2! I bought cheeseburgers or bad ios games for that much!

I know this was my most disappointing game last gen only because of all the promises Gearbox lied about. I vowed never to buy it at full price, but a part of me still wanted to play it.

Well, $2, can't really say I wasted money! Unless $2 is still too much for this trash,LoL!

sibarraz

Banned
Finished Guacamelee with 100%

Amazing game, one of the best that I had played.

The inferno challenges weren't hard, The only difficult part was to get the orb in tule tree. wha't s everbody else opinion?

Why did Capcom start putting both Resident Evil and Biohazard in the game titles on steam? Really silly. Better than Resident Evil 4 on PSN though which was listed as "resident evil 4" Why is it lower case Capcom ;-; WHY

mannerbot

Finished Guacamelee with 100%

Amazing game, one of the best that I had played.

The inferno challenges weren't hard, The only difficult part was to get the orb in tule tree. wha't s everbody else opinion?

I bought it at launch and enjoyed it quite a bit. The platforming was surprisingly satisfying, didn't expect that from a Metroidvania/brawler. However, I did not enjoy it quite enough to play the whole game over again on Hard just to get the last achievement that I'm missing.

Why did Capcom start putting both Resident Evil and Biohazard in the game titles on steam? Really silly. Better than Resident Evil 4 on PSN though which was listed as "resident evil 4" Why is it lower case Capcom ;-; WHY
Yeah, it's funny:

Resident Evil 4: Biohazard 4

Almost as bad as:

Super Mario Advanced 4: Super Mario Bros. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom